Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 1,077
3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Ahhh Shiner, a staple of the Texas university student's diet. I've had Shiner many a time in various and sundry places and circumstances around Texas, but this is the first review.

Pours a nice, tall medium thick head. Took a good minute or more to dissipate. Still a nice 1/8 inch head remained. Showed a medium brown color. Smelled of roasted malts, a slight mustiness, and a hint of a rustic feel. Tasted sweet and lots of roasted malts. Finished very bready. Wet at the beginning with a little bit of dryness at the end. Thin mouthfeel allows for more drinkability. It's easy to knock back a few of these. Shiner Bock won't win any awards, but it is definitely worth trying not only for its flavor but for its place in Texas culture.

1.76/5  rDev -44.3%

As far as the style goes, this beer misses the mark. Maybe it's good in context (hot, dry weather of Texas), but here in Maryland it is awful. Sorry to simply bitch, but around here loads of people rave about this beer and I just don't see the appeal; there are much better examples of the style.I know we are not supposed to simply rag on beers on this site, and I don't plan on it, but I hate this beer. I have had it a few times, both on-tap and in the bottle, and honestly I think it has less flavour than Bud, definitely less than Miller HIgh Life, neither of which I enjoy. To me this beer tastes like a watery mess, a little corn in the after-taste and that is all!
Slainte.

3.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a dark golden brown. Head is non existant.

Smells of sour malts and not much of anything else

Tastes more effervescent than it looks, the bubbles bite the tongue. Clean taste, nothing much comes through other than very slightly caramel malts. No real hop flavor.

Silky smooth mouthfeel.

Pretty drinkable, can put down a sixer with no problems.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Joe Jost's (joejosts.com) in Long Beach pours this into an iced schooner at a cool 27'F. Ice crystals float on top. Goes great with pickled eggs, hot peppers, pretzel sticks, and peanuts.

A: No head (too cold?) and is a deep rich molasses

S: Once again, may have been too cold for phenols to waft up

T: Slightly sweet really tasty

M: Nice and cold

D: Pour me another

3.43/5  rDev +8.5%

was down on vacation in Texas and figured I'd try the locals, so here goes

A- Golden brown. sort of clear

S- faint sweet

T- Tastes pretty decent. not very bock like but surprisingly good.

M- clean and easy

D- could take a whole case of these back with me. easy go to favorite from shiner (so far)

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Ruby brown hued beer with small fizzy white head that quickly vanishes. Leaves little tracing.

S - Corn husk, some toasted malts.

T - Follows the noes; Corn husk, some toasted caramel malts, and light hops. Nothing special at all. Seems like an adjunct mixed with a bock.

M - Thin, with good carbonation.

O - Not that good for a bock. It's rather weak and suspiciously adjunct like. As a dark lager this would fare well. I wouldn't seek this out at the price it goes for.

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I first enjoyed this beer over a decade ago in South Texas alongside some raw oysters. Now that it's in my area, I'm anxious to try it again for the first time.

Pours a mahogany brown body that's surprisingly translucent. Whitish head is gone before I can come up with a better adjective, leaving no trace.

Not much going on with the nose. Faint corn aroma, caramel and raisin.

The taste is only slightly less understated. Not as corny as your average macrobrew, it's fresh, has some caramel malt character, and is effortlessly balanced by its hop presence. Pretty clean, but there is a slightly off-putting metallic finish.

This beer thin. In the words of the immortal Bilbo Baggins, "like butter, scraped over too much bread."

Quaffable yet underwhelming, it has some bock characteristic but doesn't pack enough punch to suit the palate of the craft beer generation.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

Overall nothing spectacular, but I don't think it is bad as many of the reviews suggest.

Pours a light reddish brown, fairly transparent suggesting a weak brew.

Smell if very faint malt.

Taste is a bit of roasted malt and fairly dry.

Mouthfeel is very light with little body.

Not much punch so I am sure I could have a few,

2.74/5  rDev -13.3%

If they called this Shiner amber lager, I'd score it better. This isn't bad beer, but calling it a bock is definately misleading. Its attractive, light brown, and drinkable. But apparently the malt flavor, backbone of a bock, had one too many at the bar and forgot to get on the bus. This is just too flavorless for a bock.

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into sam adams perfect pint.

Appearance: brown, clear, thin white head that dissipates in seconds. no lacing. nice carbonation.

Smell: a hint of sweet with a mostly a cheap/old beer smell

Taste: not a ton of taste. Toasty malt, clean, somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation

Overall: great cheap beer for cooling off in the Texas heat.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Under a hot Texas sun, I can respect this brew's ability to quench a fierce thirst. It is refreshing, light, and easy to drink, however lacking the richness of my favorite bocks. Disappointing head disappears soon after pouring. As a bock lover, this is not a buy for me unless it is on special and I know I will be having guests who may appreciate the variety. Quite frankly, I am continuously finding it to be a boring beer - failing to boast any truly impressive feature, save for the hype.

4.1/5  rDev +29.7%

Very nice brew...nice color, no nasty aftertaste. When you consider the price of this Texas brew with a comp from Europe it's a great value for bock drinkers. Impossible to find in the Western NY area I'm from, so I bring it back from beer stores in Erie, PA. I've never had a complainy when I serve this bock.

2.65/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Very very dark gold. Nice looking beer.

S: Very hoppy with some malts.

T: Starts off sweet and bready and finishes with a very strong hop flavor that I find offensive. After tast and finish ruin this almost Yuengling -like sweetness you get at first.

M: Wet. Decently fizzy. Smooth but strong.

O: It was not bad, but I would not drink it again. I dont like the strong finish at all.

2.87/5  rDev -9.2%

Had this on tap at a Nick's Sports Pub. They have a large selection, and I'm trying to get through everything. First off, I love bock's. I gave this a try. I was not happy. It felt watery and tasted kind of flat, which I guess is how it is supposed to taste since I had it on tap. I don't think I'd get this ever again. It was slightly sweet, but overall very boring. Also, the smell was weird. I don't know else how to describe it....but it wasn't pleasant.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Surprised to find out I enjoyed this beer more in a bottle than on tap. Had trouble finishing the one I had with dinner. Appearence was dark amber with one finger of head which disappeared to quickly, almost no smell and flavor was not as good as the bottle I had the prior evening.

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On special at a Tex-Mex place in Austin. The beer is dark brown with some amber overtones. There's not much in the way of smell, but what's there is the smell of dark malts, maybe some wheat. The flavor is slight, nowhere near as pronounced as that of bocks in Germany. I've described this to friends as "an American macro lager with food coloring in it." There's maybe a little more bitterness and malt flavor than Budweiser, but it's not incredibly complex or anything. Still, it has a nice, creamy mouthfeel and very good drinkability. It lacks the offensive aftertaste of the Shiner Hefeweizen. This would be an inexpensive bock I would keep in my fridge for spring consumption.

3.38/5  rDev +7%

This beer got me through school in Austin, and I have fond memories and vague recollections of enjoying pint after pint, pitcher after pitcher.

I wanted to do a proper tasting, so I opened a bottle from my cheap regional beer cache last night. It poured a nice seal brown, with little foam and a nice roasted aroma. Roasted malt is the strongest taste, with a bit of bittering hops. The mouthfeel isn't the best, but the flavor compensates.

Compared to other macrobrews on tap in Texas, Shiner Bock takes the cake. (Of course, in the summer it's time for Shiner Hefeweizen.) Compared to other bocks, however, it lacks the depth to make the top tier.

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Drinkable and tasty. This is a great choice for a session beer. It takes about half of the bottle to really start picking up flavors but after that it is smooth sailing.

Good for a hot day to refresh yourself. Don't let the "bock" fool you though. There is nothing strong about this beer. Barely stronger than a lager. Just more flavor.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good solid bock. The locals in Shiner said it was crap but I love Shiner. They make really good beer.

this should be the national beer of texas.living here in texas this is one of my main fridge beers.this is a beer that wont gag you if it gets warm.has a nice head with moderate lacing.cost a little more than the macro brews but its worth it.so when yall come to visit try a shiner bock you wont be sorry. oh and ask about the rams head on the bottle.

2.94/5  rDev -7%

A - Nice dark amber brown color. Decent head, but on the thin side.

S - Pretty boring lager smell, only a bit more appealing than your average mass market lager.

T - Better flavor than smell. A bit metallic, but not too sweet and still fun to drink. Tastes especially good in a lot of lousy and small town Texas bars where the other options are Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, . . . Not nearly as flavorful as a good true bock.

M - Good carbonation, not too fizzy like a lot of American lagers. Decent body considering the lack of aroma. Low alcohol, mild carbonation, easy to drink all evening.

O - Not a beer I would consider among the best, but I like it and definitely appreciate its ubiquity in Texas.

3.51/5  rDev +11.1%

Decent beer. Better than your bud lights and keystone. But nothing great

Favorite beer! Texas baby!!!! Woo!

4.25/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Light brown, lightly carbonated, light head, and alive.

Smell - Mildly smoky and malty with a slight earthy aroma.

Taste - Slightly bitter yet clean. Mildly malt flavor and excepted. No bad surprises and fits the bock style well as far a Texas made beer goes.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean, the beer feels nice on the palate.

Overall - My favorite beer for barbecuing, especially brisket. This beer is best served ice cold with ribs or Texas style barbecue.

2.53/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There's really nothing much I can say about this. Nothing noteable about it.
Nothing really bad, nothing really good or interesting.
The amber color is OK, not much of a scent, and a bitter-sweet flavor that is basically a strong Coors. A really strong Coors.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner