Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,004 | Hads: 3,580
2.35/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Bronze caramel color with substantial carbonation present, pours into a thick head that quickly disappears.

S: Subtle caramel notes, not a strong scent, similar to that of a light lager.

T: Very simple starch taste with metallic dominating on the back-end.

M: Very thin body with high carbonation that pops midway, followed by an antiseptic sensation that lingers for a while.

O: Not enough body, too much carbonation, simple flavor, not impressed. (455 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

One of my favorite mass produced Bock beers. Smooth taste without being too bitter. If you like Bock beers and you can't find your micro brew of choice, this one will do just fine. (180 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -5.3%

When poured, the color was dark amber with a quick dissolving light tan head. I wasn’t able to identify a distinct odor while drinking. It had a very quick spicy snap to it with a slight sweet taste on the sides of my mouth and leaving a dry after taste. The beer actually had a slight flatness to it, didn’t seem to have a lot of carbonation. It is a nice change to the mainstream beers you advertised on TV during the football games and not pass one up if offered. (468 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -38.7%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Crystal clear brown body with a white head that disappeared quicker than a card in a magic trick.

Smell - Smell is of sweet caramel

Taste - Taste is sweet, very sweet, but somewhere behind it all are some nutty notes.

Mouthfeel - Nicely carbonated and light in mouthfeel

Drinkability - Did I mention this beer is sweet? It was very difficult to finish the glass. Disappointing for a beer I consider an American classic.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for the sample. (535 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Sample bottle is one of a six pack from Johnston's Liquors in Conowingo Md. Pours a nice red-brown with a light carbonated head that quickly subsides.

Smells very earthy. Hearty malts and a dash of hops.

Tastes exactly how it smells. Talk about truth in advertising. Has a strong initial attack which quickly rolls into a malty sweetness remant of a marzen.

Mouthfeel isn't anything to write home about. It doesn't feel like your mouth is going to explode because of the carbonation nor do you feel you have to spit it out because it's too fizzy. What you would expect from a better beer.

This is an awesome session beer. It has alot of flavor but not so much that you get tired of it. Combined with lower alchohol content this beer will last you the night.

If you've ever had yuengling's traditional lager, this is a great substitute for it. I find shiner's bock to be very similar in flavor, about the same in price and more consistent than yuengling. Alot of times yuengling will taste too flat and watered down or too carbonated. Sometimes you get it really sweet which is awesome but it's very rare. If you know what i'm talking about than relate to flavor to a more carbonated yuengling. I find shinerbock a bit more prickley unless yuengling is over carbonated. Overall i think the texans are beating us in a Shiner bock vs. Yuengling lager battle. (1,371 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

A mild malt aroma is noticable, no apparent hoppy smell. Light carmel color in appearance. Large creamy head, which quickly dissapated while drinking. Persistent small bubbles, moderate carbonation. Very malty in flavor. Mouthfeel is what i would consider somewhat of a smooth bite at the back of the mouth but goes down with no bitterness. This is what i would consider a good, but not great bock beer. Will drink again, occaisionally. (436 characters)

1.15/5  rDev -61.9%

Very disappointing beer.

It loks nice, a lovely brown with a finger of tan head. The head goes right away and leaves no lace, tho.

It smells like...absolutely nothing.

It tastes like near nothing. Maybe a little metal. Just bitter. Quite horrible, really.

Feels like water.

I'd alway heard good things about this beer, but I didn't like it at all. (352 characters)

This beer was one of my standards while I was living in Texas. It was carried just about everywhere and tasted great. Dark brown with a nice tan head. Tasted a bit like new castle (don't yell at me) but they both have a bit of a nutty taste. easy to drink, perfect carbonation. if you haven't tried it I would defiantly recommend picking some up. no doubt it wont be the best thing you ever had. but like I said, its a good regular and its not too expensive. (458 characters)

Foams up nicely on pouring, reddish color with a nice look.

aroma is subtle, nice beer smell but nothing outstanding

This is my default beer, so I really do care for the mix of malt and caramel mix. Nothing stupendous, but sooo much better then any of the bud/coors/miller etc versions out there.

nice light enjoyable sweetness with little aftertaste.

Very drinkable and very repeatable during a session of cards or talking. (428 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a clear amber that is more on the brown side. Offwhite head of a larger size with big bubbles and a little carbonation settles down to lace the top of the beer. Malty in aroma with no trace of alcohol, pretty clean. Grainy in taste with some toasted malt sweetness and very faint hints of caramel. A rather dry and clean finish. Overall not a bad brew at all, but it leaves me wanting more as for as flavour goes. Nothing great, but definately better than the macros, and the same price as well (at least here in Texas). (526 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a great dark copper brown, very clear, thin white head that disappears really quickly. Smell has a very light sweet aroma with some caramel/toffee, no, hop.

Mouth feel is thin, watery and very carbonated.

Very little flavor upon drinking, watery, carbonation, then once the bubbles dissipate off the tongue you can taste a very slight malt and caramel flavors with a tiny sweetness all in the background but no prominent flavor other than the watery o2. No hop taste at all.

Overall a very bland beer, not bland enough to tip, but close.

I'm just glad this was a left over from a party and i never paid for this so called Bock. I suggest sending this back to Texas. (677 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +30.1%

Shiner gets kicked alot here on the advocate and I guess I understand that. Compared to the great micros and European imports it's just - well, it is what it is. But there's something about their Bock and their Kolsch (which is not reviewed here). They are just plain drinkable. And the more you drink them the more you appreciate them. Day in and day out Shiner is a good choice. (380 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

Bought this at the recommendation of a family member from Texas. What the hey...
Poured vigorously into a pint glass, got a 1 inch head that almost instantly dissipated. The color is brown, but very clear. I detected a faint slight sweet smell, but mixed with metallic odor was not so appealing. The taste was very light, metallic with a slightly nutty sweetness, but very bland, not matching the color. The mouthfeel is slight carbonation, no real impressiveness there. I find this overall to be not terrible compared to other macro lagers, but not great. I am somewhat disappointed. (584 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +18.5%

I seemed to like this beer a lot better last winter when I first tried it. I also seem to like the flavor out of a can as well. I'm drinking this out of a bottle right now into a pilsner glass and am not really liking it as much as I remembered. Still, you could do much worse. this does have a little maltiness to it. The aroma isn't very flattering, mouthfeel isn't much, but leaves a nice thin honey flavor on the tongue. Extremely drinkable. I would find myself pounding down a sixer box of these bocks while working in my recording studio last winter, late into the evenings.

If I was in a shitty bar somewhere and didn't like their beer selection, it is possible they might still have this and it may still be cheap on the wallet so I would go with that over the other major domestics. I'd rather have a Celebrator (I know, not a regular bock...) but these were on sale at $11 for a 12 pack. I'd consider that a fair price for this brew. (945 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Altogether this is a nice beer which tastes good and is easy to drink. It isn't all that particularly special, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than what you'd expect from most large American breweries. Definitely something worth having on hand for just about any situation. (272 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +27.5%

Shiner Bock has become a Texas commodity and i've been drinking it since college(28 now), so i figure its time to write a quick review.
Pours a beautiful, deep, amber color with a nice creamy head.
It smells sort of sweet and 'roasty' . Taste is also on the sweet side, but not overly so. Very easy to drink. Its best to pour into a pint glass or get it on tap at the pub. Haven't been to the Spoetzl Brewery yet, but can't wait to have a fresh one there. (458 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had my first bottle last week after my brother brought some home from his Texas trip and a visit to the brewery. This is a light brown colored beer with a pleasant smell out of the bottle. Taste, I agree, is light for a bock which I expect to have some mouthfeel chewability to it. It is probably the reason that there is a reputation this beer has as a college brew...it's not going to slow you down any chewing on it. I have to say I like it and will easily drink a few again. I understand that the distribution of Shiner is pretty extensive so you may find it at a decent brew depot. (586 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +36.4%

I don't think that I can be impartial of this one. Shiner taste like...home.

A medium orange brown with quarter inch of white head.
S sweet, slight smell of hops
T slight malt after taste, slightly sweet, medium carbonation
D In texas, this is the beer that teaches the young guys that there is life after budweiser. I could drink these all day. In fact I have had many a liter.

I definately think freshness makes a difference here. I have had at a restraunt like Love and War in Texas, where you know they empty at least keg of Shiner every day. And the drinkablity is killer. Then go to Applebees or something and the taste is different. (641 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Dark amber, one finger of head
S - Minimal smell a hint of malt perhaps
T - Clean, easy drinking taste, a bit bitter
M - Fizzy, carbonated feel in the mouth
O - Drinks pretty easy, tastes better in a bottle cold versus a pint glass. Would not seek out in the store, but would drink it over a standard light beer at a social gathering absent other options (358 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of these beers with my dinner out last night with my wife. I had never had Shiner Bock before and I have to admit, it was pretty good for a light, easy drinking beer.
It didn't pour with a lot of head retention, but the overall color and clarity were good. It has very little aroma, mostly of crystal malt with little to no hop aroma. The flavor is the best part. Rich caramel flavor with a clean, crisp lagered finish. Very easy to drink. The mouthfeel was average for this type of beer. I would definately drink one of these again if I had my choice over having to drink Coors or Bud light. Definately a better choice. (637 characters)

Hello old friend... how I've missed you!

Looks like you've finally moved up to NYC like all the rest of us schmucks from TX. You're not my oldest friend or my best. But you were always there for me when I needed someone classier than Lone Star to bring to a party. And you always kept me company at Casino el Camino when I needed to grease up my veins with an Amarillo Burger or kick serious butt at pool...

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing you here in the big city... I'm sure glad to see you... but I'm not sure I really want to bring you to any parties.... Maybe we can hang out the next time we're both back in TX? (624 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -26.2%

A - Looks OK for beer, a little on the dark side, but as a bock, it should be.

S - There is almost no detectable smell to this beer at all. It could be caramel colored water for all I can tell.

T - Shiner Bock has very little flavor, but to its credit, it doesn't have any bad flavors, either.

M - Mouthfeel is OK but I was hoping for more.

When I pay a premium price for beer, I expect to obtain a premium beer. Shiner Bock is a serious disappiontment, because it sits beside the likes of Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams. I should have bought one of those. (557 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured this one after a long Friday at work. It was fairly dark brown and started with a small head that quickly vanished when I turned my back. Slight lacing and an average amount of carbonation.

The smell was malty without a lot of complexity, and so was the taste. Maybe some caramel in there, but definitely not a lot going on. Taste was decent, but nothing to brag about with a very light mouthfeel. Easy to drink. Very easy to drink.

I feel this is an average beer worth picking up from the grocery store every once in a while to make an evening out of it. (568 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -3%

No thanks. For the price you can get a dopple bock thats much better.
The taste reminds me of Rolling Rock's Rock Red except a bit more hops and a better after taste.
Hardly any head retention. Nice amber color thats not as full flavored as it looks.
Probably better on tap. (274 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a nice brown with pillowy head that quickly recedes. Minimal aroma so not much to talk about there. I think this beer is often served too cold and that obscures its taste and texture ... I definitely let some of the chill off from pulling it out of the display case at the package store and drink it cool, but not cold. This beer has a nice malty flavor with a hint of hoppiness. I would love it to be a bit thicker and maltier though. The mouth feel is very nice ... smooth and satiny. Again, serve it too cold and the taste and mouth feel attributes disappear. (568 characters)

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner