Microbrew Invitational

Style: Bock

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Reviews: 1,058 | Ratings: 3,829
3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

pours a one finger plus head. it is a medium brown that is very clear. i smell malt, an earthy note, and grassy. malt and bitter is well-balanced. the style should be a little heavier to the malt but i like it balanced. finishes clean and spicy. fair, very drinkable beer but nothing remarkable.

2.8/5  rDev -7.9%

Overall it was ok, but the mouthfeel kinda ruined it for me.

The appearence was dark but hardly any head or lacing. Probally due to the flatness of the beer itself. The bottle had some interesting little tid bits and I enjoy that kind of stuff.

Taste was fine for the style, nothing amazing, but average and drinkable. Highly malty with a small hint of hops.

Very watery mouthfeel, with too low of carbonation.

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Brownish amber with average head size and retention and average lacing.

Aroma: some malty, toasty smells wtih some vinous and alcoholic smells as well.

Taste: lighter flavor of malts. Fairly sweet and toasty. Some caramel.

Mouthfeel: Pretty thin. ok carbonation and a dry aftertaste.

Drinkability: very easy. One of my brother-in-law's favorite session brews, the other being Bud Light.

Notes: Just too thin and watery with not enough taste to be a really good bock. Not bad though.

2.28/5  rDev -25%

Why? Why did I buy this, I don't know...I had a six of Sam Adams Light and put it down for this...why? Can I return a 5 pack?

Appearance: Looks a little like apple cider in color. Head?

Smell: Yeasty...I didn't find it pleasant.

Taste: Not as bad as the aroma. Bland and leaves your taste buds lightning fast.

Drinkability: If it wasn't almost 90 degrees out there and I'm doing yard work, I would not drink it, but lets face it, it is better than H2O.

2.77/5  rDev -8.9%

This is the beer that got me started on trying other beers and off of extreme crap such as coors light, keystone light, bud light....etc. BUT for me it has been nothing more for me but a gateway beer to better beer. it is really NOT that great. trying it now it seems to have a funny aftertaste and nothing impressive, and perhaps a poor representative of a bock. it gets a low score because of that.

NOTE: i should also add that shiner offers other brews that are much better than this...in other words don't totally throw out the brewery itself.

2.31/5  rDev -24%

Poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours out a deep brown with some ruby mixed in. When held to the light it is almost copper in color. The body is clear but not what I'd call crystal clear. An inch high head forms on the pour and it is white in color. Quickly recedes to almost nothing atop the liquid. No lacing is produced on the walls as this one reduces in the glass.

Mostly malt in the smell that has a slight toast bread smell to it. This really reminds me of a BMC smell. Not very interesting.

Must like the smell, getting bready malt sweetness. There is also this very noticeable metallic taste that I get toward the end of each sip. Aside from that, there ins't much else to this one. Can't say this one is impressing me much.

Very thin and fizzy feeling. Lots of carbonation fizz on the tongue at this one is drank.

This is a pretty easy drink. For me this was a slight step above say the normal BMC line up. No problem finishing this and I wouldn't refuse one if I was handed one but I don't plan on buying this one again.

2.7/5  rDev -11.2%

appearance is quite nice, it is a dark amber with lots of little bubbles keeping a stubborn and sophisticated i white head afloat.

i only recognize week thin pils in the taste.

the taste doesnt reach much deeper than the smell with light toasted malts and some light floral hops, clearly more refreshing and light than most bocks.
good only because it is too hot here.

thin body carbonated and a moderate finish

i imagine if i wanted to drink dark beer on a sweltering day this would be the compromise.

3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

Quick review - uneventful. Might have broken Texas soil when it was new. It's not new anymore.

Color - a very transparent reddish brown. I can't get much of a head on it. What I do get leaves no lacing.

Smell - this beer smells like a bock. I smell malt and maybe some chocolate in there. No scent of hops, not that a bock should smell hoppy.

Taste - not much. I get something of a light malt with no sweetness. Maybe too balanced with bittering hops. This beer has a decent flavor that I would prefer a good bit sweeter/maltier.

Mouthfeel - medium. More mouthfeel than flavor.

You could easily session this beer. Unfortunately, I'll be constantly searching for something with more flavor.

2.84/5  rDev -6.6%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, so I picked some up at the Whole Foods in Dublin, Ohio...

Appearance: Pours to a clear deep amber color with light foam that fades quickly with almost no lacing.

Smell: Indistinct and light. Some slight malt hints in the aroma.

Taste: Very light taste. Mild bitterness, mild malt flavor. A very subtle beer. Refreshing, but easily overwhelmed by food.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery with some unreleased carbonation.

Drinkability: Good, refreshing, pleasant to drink, but not particularly interesting.

2.46/5  rDev -19.1%

My wife love this beer and swears by it. She said it was the best widely available beer around.

appearance: drank from bottle

Smell: very slight sweet/pine smell

Taste: tasted watery like molson to me, except with a nasty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Drinkability: I can't bear the aftertaste. I had one and was through.

3.39/5  rDev +11.5%

My favorite brew from the Spoetzl Brewery is a staple here in San Antonio.

I sampled this on tap at a local Hooters during a Spurs game.

When it arrived at my table in a frosted mug, the first thing I noticed was the extremely dark color of this beer. It also had a nice 1 finger head that was very creamy and stuck around like nobody's business. Lacing was also very pronounced.

The smell is kind of perplexing. It smells of musty, stale malt. If I graded this on smell alone, it would fail.

The taste was very nice, however. Caramel malts, some hops and a little alcohol. This was like a party on my palate (or maybe it was just the spurs crowd?)

The mouthfeel was thin, and the finish was dry and bitter. I like that.

Drinkability is very high. I could drink a ton of these if given the chance.

This is a nice offering from Shiner.

2.11/5  rDev -30.6%

pours amber, with fine bubbled carbonation, and a quickly dissipating head. if the color isn't enough of an indicator, it's immediately apparent that this isn't really a bock by pouring viscosity alone.

big giant DMS hit immediately after the pour. blech. once that clears, there's a "salty caramel corn" component, which is a little better. I don't smell any hops, and don't really expect much with this style, but some hint of german noble hops would be nice. what is there reminds me of rotting seaweed at the ocean.

flavor is primarily toasted caramel in nature, with a little corn sweetness, and maybe a hint of roast. tough to tell. there's really not much to work from, and this completely pales in intensity to a true -ator class bock.

mouthfeel is thin, as it should be for an amber lager, but way too thin for a true german-style bock.

I remember being unimpressed when I had one of these in san antonio, and thinking to myself "this is a bock?" it's drinkable, albeit pretty boring. like a standard american lager with caramel coloring added.

this bock is a gelding in comparison to the real deal.

2.05/5  rDev -32.6%

appearance - looks much like a light version of a brown ale. not too much for looks here, a thin white foam quickly vanishes into American beer heaven.

Smell - smells very medicinal or like dead grass after the rain. Offputting sweet smell as well.

Taste - It tastes exactly like the old crumpled up Coors Lite can you smelled on the roadside that was tossed by someone who later killed a family of four... very beery taste. lite and empty.

Mouthfeel - light fizzy, rubbing alcohol like. light and unsubstantial.

Drinkability - It's too bad I've discovered good beer, unfortunatley this is not one of them. BUT, if I was a rebel flag waving tattooed biker guy, I'd down a case of these and still not have a buzz. try again, Shiner.

2.32/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A- dark mahogany brown. Small thin head that disappeared quickly. Just about no lacing.

S- clean, light, biscuity.

T- almost nothing going on here. I struggled to identify any character other than feint maltiness (and a tiny bit of sweetness).

M- thin, ultra light bodied, watery.

O- barely even OK. Disappointing. For home consumption? Absolutely not! For mass consumption? Fine (i.e. tailgating, BBQ's), especially if it's hot outside and the beer is ice cold (to help hide its deficiencies).

Cheers!

2.6/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Date Drunk: 12/15/10

A; Copper color with no head.
S: Malt and metal.
T: All I am getting is a Malty flavor with a hint of metal taste.
M: Very watery for a Bock.
O: Kinda reminds me of an extremely watered down Sam Winter. I would not try again, but is a session beer.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark amber with a small white head. Too bad the head was extremely short-lived. Smells is nutty and toasty. The taste is very light. There are hints of hazelnut and toasted malt, as well as a hop tang. Unfortunately, I also taste some graininess which isn't necessarily bad, but it's definitely a taste I associate with "cheap." Highly quaffable and refreshing, but I certainly wasn't blown away.

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%

A amber and not inviting at all. no head at all

S um maybe some hops but more like corn i would think

T not much hear. not much separating it from AB and coors.

M there is nothing here that taste or feels different from bud lightt

D i gave a four cause low alcohol makes this a good session beer.

2.1/5  rDev -30.9%

If you don't like the taste of beer or you like the taste of water, this is your brew. It's not terrible. It's drinkable, but so is diet coke.
This beer will fool you. It has a nice looking amber color. From a distance, very appealing. Just no flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A nice medium/ dark brown with a good tan head
has a rich malty sweet aroma. with a sweet malty caramel taste.
A nice medium body feel.
This is good mild sweet, not bitter. Will get again.
one of my favorites.

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

Surprised to find out I enjoyed this beer more in a bottle than on tap. Had trouble finishing the one I had with dinner. Appearence was dark amber with one finger of head which disappeared to quickly, almost no smell and flavor was not as good as the bottle I had the prior evening.

4.13/5  rDev +35.9%

Shiner Bock poured a beautiful transparent autumn colored amber, with a 1 inch head in to my pint glass.

smell: The smell was that of flowers, slight hops, and almost a touch of citrus zest.

taste: Malty and lightly hopped, floral like flavor.

extremely smooth and clean tasting, yet in my opinion has the premier flavor and characteristics of a great session beer. The drinkability is perfect, I could drink these all night!

Cheers!

2.71/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I first enjoyed this beer over a decade ago in South Texas alongside some raw oysters. Now that it's in my area, I'm anxious to try it again for the first time.

Pours a mahogany brown body that's surprisingly translucent. Whitish head is gone before I can come up with a better adjective, leaving no trace.

Not much going on with the nose. Faint corn aroma, caramel and raisin.

The taste is only slightly less understated. Not as corny as your average macrobrew, it's fresh, has some caramel malt character, and is effortlessly balanced by its hop presence. Pretty clean, but there is a slightly off-putting metallic finish.

This beer thin. In the words of the immortal Bilbo Baggins, "like butter, scraped over too much bread."

Quaffable yet underwhelming, it has some bock characteristic but doesn't pack enough punch to suit the palate of the craft beer generation.

2.31/5  rDev -24%

Typical beer-tasting brew, nothing special. Got it for 6.19 a 6-pk.

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass, was rather dark which intrigued me. One-finger head that dissapated quickly (within 15 seconds.)

Smell - Corn, and hops, nothing outstanding here. Nor is it offensive.

Taste - This was the rather disappointing part. I was rather sad to taste this for being such a famous beer when I was down in San Antonio. I'd almost prefer something a little lighter. You can't even tell it's a dark beer.

Mouthfeel - Rather good, left a medium aftertaste in my mouth.

Drinkability - I couldn't make it past one of these tonight. Hard to down, and not easy to enjoy.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

This has a rich amber color and a bold taste. It can be poured very aggressively. I was lucky enough to go to the home of Spoetzl Brewery, San Antonio, with the Spartan Marching Band for the Alamo Bowl this last year and I got to have some there. It's always better in the city it was brewed in.

1.76/5  rDev -42.1%

As far as the style goes, this beer misses the mark. Maybe it's good in context (hot, dry weather of Texas), but here in Maryland it is awful. Sorry to simply bitch, but around here loads of people rave about this beer and I just don't see the appeal; there are much better examples of the style.I know we are not supposed to simply rag on beers on this site, and I don't plan on it, but I hate this beer. I have had it a few times, both on-tap and in the bottle, and honestly I think it has less flavour than Bud, definitely less than Miller HIgh Life, neither of which I enjoy. To me this beer tastes like a watery mess, a little corn in the after-taste and that is all!
Slainte.