Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 3,683
4.1/5  rDev +34.9%

Very nice brew...nice color, no nasty aftertaste. When you consider the price of this Texas brew with a comp from Europe it's a great value for bock drinkers. Impossible to find in the Western NY area I'm from, so I bring it back from beer stores in Erie, PA. I've never had a complainy when I serve this bock.

2.65/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Very very dark gold. Nice looking beer.

S: Very hoppy with some malts.

T: Starts off sweet and bready and finishes with a very strong hop flavor that I find offensive. After tast and finish ruin this almost Yuengling -like sweetness you get at first.

M: Wet. Decently fizzy. Smooth but strong.

O: It was not bad, but I would not drink it again. I dont like the strong finish at all.

2.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this on tap at a Nick's Sports Pub. They have a large selection, and I'm trying to get through everything. First off, I love bock's. I gave this a try. I was not happy. It felt watery and tasted kind of flat, which I guess is how it is supposed to taste since I had it on tap. I don't think I'd get this ever again. It was slightly sweet, but overall very boring. Also, the smell was weird. I don't know else how to describe it....but it wasn't pleasant.

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

Surprised to find out I enjoyed this beer more in a bottle than on tap. Had trouble finishing the one I had with dinner. Appearence was dark amber with one finger of head which disappeared to quickly, almost no smell and flavor was not as good as the bottle I had the prior evening.

3.23/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On special at a Tex-Mex place in Austin. The beer is dark brown with some amber overtones. There's not much in the way of smell, but what's there is the smell of dark malts, maybe some wheat. The flavor is slight, nowhere near as pronounced as that of bocks in Germany. I've described this to friends as "an American macro lager with food coloring in it." There's maybe a little more bitterness and malt flavor than Budweiser, but it's not incredibly complex or anything. Still, it has a nice, creamy mouthfeel and very good drinkability. It lacks the offensive aftertaste of the Shiner Hefeweizen. This would be an inexpensive bock I would keep in my fridge for spring consumption.

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Nice dark amber brown color. Decent head, but on the thin side.

S - Pretty boring lager smell, only a bit more appealing than your average mass market lager.

T - Better flavor than smell. A bit metallic, but not too sweet and still fun to drink. Tastes especially good in a lot of lousy and small town Texas bars where the other options are Bud, Bud Light, Miller, Miller Light, . . . Not nearly as flavorful as a good true bock.

M - Good carbonation, not too fizzy like a lot of American lagers. Decent body considering the lack of aroma. Low alcohol, mild carbonation, easy to drink all evening.

O - Not a beer I would consider among the best, but I like it and definitely appreciate its ubiquity in Texas.

3.38/5  rDev +11.2%

This beer got me through school in Austin, and I have fond memories and vague recollections of enjoying pint after pint, pitcher after pitcher.

I wanted to do a proper tasting, so I opened a bottle from my cheap regional beer cache last night. It poured a nice seal brown, with little foam and a nice roasted aroma. Roasted malt is the strongest taste, with a bit of bittering hops. The mouthfeel isn't the best, but the flavor compensates.

Compared to other macrobrews on tap in Texas, Shiner Bock takes the cake. (Of course, in the summer it's time for Shiner Hefeweizen.) Compared to other bocks, however, it lacks the depth to make the top tier.

3.55/5  rDev +16.8%

Drinkable and tasty. This is a great choice for a session beer. It takes about half of the bottle to really start picking up flavors but after that it is smooth sailing.

Good for a hot day to refresh yourself. Don't let the "bock" fool you though. There is nothing strong about this beer. Barely stronger than a lager. Just more flavor.

this should be the national beer of texas.living here in texas this is one of my main fridge beers.this is a beer that wont gag you if it gets warm.has a nice head with moderate lacing.cost a little more than the macro brews but its worth it.so when yall come to visit try a shiner bock you wont be sorry. oh and ask about the rams head on the bottle.

2.1/5  rDev -30.9%

If you don't like the taste of beer or you like the taste of water, this is your brew. It's not terrible. It's drinkable, but so is diet coke.
This beer will fool you. It has a nice looking amber color. From a distance, very appealing. Just no flavor.

2.53/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There's really nothing much I can say about this. Nothing noteable about it.
Nothing really bad, nothing really good or interesting.
The amber color is OK, not much of a scent, and a bitter-sweet flavor that is basically a strong Coors. A really strong Coors.

It's dark with a reddish glow and a nice head imo.
Has a little bit of a butterscotch taste similar to Newcastle Brown Ale. It's pretty good beer it is easy to polish off a 12pack without even trying. Goes down good. Very satisfying beer taste. It's affordable, too, at least here in Texas, you can buy 12 for 10.99 at your local grocery store.

2.98/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Very quick dissipating head. Not much carbonation but expected. Clear amber color

Smell: Weakpoint. Malty smell with a little bit of something metallic. Very light smell.

Taste: Caramel malt taste with some toasted bread aftertaste. Very light.

Mouthfeel: No carbonation. Thin. Pretty simple.

Drinkability: Pretty drinkable. I've had my share of this beer and it's easy to go through a six pack. That's probably because of how light it is.

2.46/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was all I had that was clean.

Appearance: Light brown, iced-tea colored, with a quickly dissipating white head. The head was completely gone within 60 seconds.

Aroma: Sweet and fruity, but hard to pin down an individual fruit flavor.

Taste: Clean. A slight bitterness in the back of the mouth, but nothing objectionable. Is it malt? Is it hops? There's simply not enough of a presence to call it anything. Reminds me of an iced tea after the ice cubes have melted in the glass.

Mouthfeel: Very watery.

Overall: Frustrating beer, because it has little taste at all. Thirst-quenching? Yes. Enjoyable? Hardly.

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%

One of my favorite mass produced Bock beers. Smooth taste without being too bitter. If you like Bock beers and you can't find your micro brew of choice, this one will do just fine.

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had my first bottle last week after my brother brought some home from his Texas trip and a visit to the brewery. This is a light brown colored beer with a pleasant smell out of the bottle. Taste, I agree, is light for a bock which I expect to have some mouthfeel chewability to it. It is probably the reason that there is a reputation this beer has as a college brew...it's not going to slow you down any chewing on it. I have to say I like it and will easily drink a few again. I understand that the distribution of Shiner is pretty extensive so you may find it at a decent brew depot.

A thumbs up on this beer. This beer is pretty dark but not too filling. It has a good full bodied taste. This beer is way better when its fresh, if this is on sale, ill buy it again definetly, definetly a good beer. Sometimes it can be a bit pricy though. I had it in the bottles, I never even seen cans for this. Taste was pretty good for a dark beer.

3.51/5  rDev +15.5%

I like dark lagers and this one is pretty good. Good color with a quickly dissipating head. Good carbonation. Nice aroma and that malty taste that I love. Not a true bock in the German style but, a very drinkable American one. Not a bad beer to have on hand.

2.35/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.25

A: Bronze caramel color with substantial carbonation present, pours into a thick head that quickly disappears.

S: Subtle caramel notes, not a strong scent, similar to that of a light lager.

T: Very simple starch taste with metallic dominating on the back-end.

M: Very thin body with high carbonation that pops midway, followed by an antiseptic sensation that lingers for a while.

O: Not enough body, too much carbonation, simple flavor, not impressed.

2.86/5  rDev -5.9%

When poured, the color was dark amber with a quick dissolving light tan head. I wasn’t able to identify a distinct odor while drinking. It had a very quick spicy snap to it with a slight sweet taste on the sides of my mouth and leaving a dry after taste. The beer actually had a slight flatness to it, didn’t seem to have a lot of carbonation. It is a nice change to the mainstream beers you advertised on TV during the football games and not pass one up if offered.

1.85/5  rDev -39.1%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Crystal clear brown body with a white head that disappeared quicker than a card in a magic trick.

Smell - Smell is of sweet caramel

Taste - Taste is sweet, very sweet, but somewhere behind it all are some nutty notes.

Mouthfeel - Nicely carbonated and light in mouthfeel

Drinkability - Did I mention this beer is sweet? It was very difficult to finish the glass. Disappointing for a beer I consider an American classic.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for the sample.

Hello old friend... how I've missed you!

Looks like you've finally moved up to NYC like all the rest of us schmucks from TX. You're not my oldest friend or my best. But you were always there for me when I needed someone classier than Lone Star to bring to a party. And you always kept me company at Casino el Camino when I needed to grease up my veins with an Amarillo Burger or kick serious butt at pool...

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing you here in the big city... I'm sure glad to see you... but I'm not sure I really want to bring you to any parties.... Maybe we can hang out the next time we're both back in TX?

3.83/5  rDev +26%

Sample bottle is one of a six pack from Johnston's Liquors in Conowingo Md. Pours a nice red-brown with a light carbonated head that quickly subsides.

Smells very earthy. Hearty malts and a dash of hops.

Tastes exactly how it smells. Talk about truth in advertising. Has a strong initial attack which quickly rolls into a malty sweetness remant of a marzen.

Mouthfeel isn't anything to write home about. It doesn't feel like your mouth is going to explode because of the carbonation nor do you feel you have to spit it out because it's too fizzy. What you would expect from a better beer.

This is an awesome session beer. It has alot of flavor but not so much that you get tired of it. Combined with lower alchohol content this beer will last you the night.

If you've ever had yuengling's traditional lager, this is a great substitute for it. I find shiner's bock to be very similar in flavor, about the same in price and more consistent than yuengling. Alot of times yuengling will taste too flat and watered down or too carbonated. Sometimes you get it really sweet which is awesome but it's very rare. If you know what i'm talking about than relate to flavor to a more carbonated yuengling. I find shinerbock a bit more prickley unless yuengling is over carbonated. Overall i think the texans are beating us in a Shiner bock vs. Yuengling lager battle.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

A mild malt aroma is noticable, no apparent hoppy smell. Light carmel color in appearance. Large creamy head, which quickly dissapated while drinking. Persistent small bubbles, moderate carbonation. Very malty in flavor. Mouthfeel is what i would consider somewhat of a smooth bite at the back of the mouth but goes down with no bitterness. This is what i would consider a good, but not great bock beer. Will drink again, occaisionally.

1.15/5  rDev -62.2%

Very disappointing beer.

It loks nice, a lovely brown with a finger of tan head. The head goes right away and leaves no lace, tho.

It smells like...absolutely nothing.

It tastes like near nothing. Maybe a little metal. Just bitter. Quite horrible, really.

Feels like water.

I'd alway heard good things about this beer, but I didn't like it at all.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner