Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

cfrobrew, Aug 20, 2014

Nordbier, Mar 22, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

lochef81, Aug 26, 2014

Andy_Luft, Apr 16, 2014
2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

Pours brown with an off-white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma or roasted malts is present, but it is not a strong aroma. The malt flavor is pretty mild and the taste is clean and crisp. The hops flavor is pretty mild. Like the Blonde, it does not leave much lacing behind. It is still an average beer, but I remember knocking back quite a few of these years ago.

acevenom, Feb 14, 2012

elec, Apr 09, 2012

mitch3114, Jul 13, 2014

cd34, Jun 22, 2014
2.17/5  rDev -31.1%

I originally sampled this beer on 3 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This has a dark amber color with a medium white head.
Aroma: This beer has no aroma
Flavor: Shiner Bock has very little taste. It's not a bock. It's a notch above the megaswills, but that's about it.

jcalabre, Sep 01, 2003
2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

MNPikey, Nov 29, 2013

mobrockman, Dec 08, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

Bock? Really? I would not consider this a bock, but perhaps a dark lager. The appearance is too clear and light to be a bock and there is no head retention. The smell is weak and tends toward malty toast and molasses. It's doesn't taste sweet enough to be a bock despite the malty bread notes and it is certainly too watery to be a bock. The upside is that it is certainly easy to drink. This is more reminiscent of Negro Modelo than of any bock I've ever had. Don't let the goat on the label fool you, this is about as far away from a German bock as you can get.

Naugros, Nov 08, 2010

kirkse, Jan 17, 2012

Punisher, Feb 23, 2013

heytomcat, Aug 28, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +8.9%

A- Pours a very amber, 'rusty' color. Mid-clarity, very foamy head. Head is somewhat tannish in color, and retains very little. Like the head was gone after about a minute, and no lacing at all.

S- Definitely mostly malty, with some metallic undertones. Very little hop smell present. Metal smell was mingling with something else, possibly the glass not being completely clean.

T- Hard to describe because of the lack of complexity. Starts off with mild malt that persists for a bit. Right before you finish the drink, a little hop bitterness comes through, but not much, and I couldn't tell you which kind of hops for the life of me.

M- Very watery. Very carbonated. Not what I normally think of for a bock style. Almost light enough for a full night of exclusive drinking.

Overall, I like this beer. I've had it at a brew pub in my hometown a few times and it had never disappointed me. This time it was a little different. The lack of lacing concerns me, but I think that could be due to the cleanliness of the glass like I said. I might have to give this one another try. Still, one of the beers I'd order in a bar for something different, but not one I'd go pay $8 a 6-pack for at the store.

Side note, Shiner's labels are pretty entertaining and informative. I especially liked the ram on the cap of this one.

boilermakerbrew, Sep 08, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Amber-brown color, clear. Good amount of carbonation rising up. Thin head.

Aroma:
Sweet malts, a little toasted.

Taste:
Sweet malt up front, bready, a little toasted and caramel notes. Hop bitterness is minimal. Crisp and clean finish. Body is light, clean, crisp, refreshing, semi dry, sharp carbonation.

mjurney, Apr 01, 2013

ChicagoShakeAndBake26, Aug 31, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

warpedrevolution, Dec 08, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

I had this on tap during a recent visit to Georgetown at a bar called Old Glory (I think that is what it was named).

Seemed a bit earthy to me. Peanut butter and like come to mind.

Not really much there. The smell was pretty blah! Some malt notes and that is about it. The taste was like a 100 yard dash. Quick, then done. The taste was some what malty but lacking so much. No trace of hops what so ever.

I had to ask the bartender if he really poured me a Bock.

CharlesRiver, Dec 23, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

I was pleased to see this show up on the shelves of our local shoppe. The bottle was kind of cool, and it poured a fairly nice deep ruby color. (bock?). There was little head, and it scattered quickly. A few small colonies floated around, but did little.

The aroma was nearly acrid. The sour smell was kind of unpleasant. What's the deal? Its not quite a sour hop smell, and must be malt related.

The taste is decent though. Sweet, and a bit like spent malt. Reminds me of the ale that Redhook ESB has become. I suppose this is why people have such problems with its classification as a bock.

Its a decent beer though, and would be a great summer sipper.

freed, Jan 24, 2004