Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -13%

2.9/5  rDev -8.2%

This was served in a very tall glass stein, so cold that there are ice chunks throughout the glass. Oh bother...

Appearance- The head is slightly foamy and creamy, an off-white, brown tinge to it. The body is a dark brown-auburn color and transparent.

Smell- There is a slight hint of a sweet and wheaty malt. It has a toasty character as well.

Taste- That nutty toastiness is the first thing to hit the tongue. Unfortunately, it is all down hill after that. There is a wheaty and grassy adjunct hop flavor that takes over. This lasts well into the finish. There may be some sweet malt in the finish as well, but by this point, I am already very disappointed by the flavors.

Mouth feel- This one is watery and just a little bit caustic. Not only because of the carbonation and the thin body, but the adjunct finish as well.

Overall- This is best described as a malty american adjunct that disappoints especially on the palate, with the feel not far behind. I really hope that this is not anyone's introduction to the bock style.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%

Friends from Tennessee brought up a case of this with them, and boy did we plow through some bottles! It pours a dark slightly-reddish copper with a small, off-white, foamy head that quickly diminishes to a tenacious film. Very little lacing. The smell is mild, bready malt, caramel, light citrus and grape. The taste is mild too, with solid malts up front but turning a little weak in the middle. The finish is short, crisp and slightly woodsy. It has a medium-light body, dry texture, and soft carbonation. There’s something about this beer that makes it so ridiculously drinkable. Highly sessionable and it seems to get better the more you drink. The beer is nothing special, but I’d definitely pick this beer up as an everyday beer if I could get it up here. However I have to lower my rating a bit since it’s quite weak for the style. I expect more from a bock.

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%

3.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Kickbacks in Jax. Poured into a snifter. Off-white head, good retention on a clear, deep copper body. Suddsy lacing. Aroma includes a caramel sweetness and maybe a touch of raisin and molasses. Taste is dominated by caramel malt, maybe a touch of vanilla and again raisins. Very, very easy beer to drink, over and over.

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%

3.55/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Deep amber brew. Frothy off-white head with good carbonation movement.

Smell: Decent malt presence with a touch of toffee.

Taste: Light and refreshing with a bit of malt character. I did not expect this in a bock, but it was not bad.

Mouthfeel: Light for what it is trying to represent

Drinkablity: Good flavor in such a light bodied brew.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%

Pints on sale for $1.75 at the Echo Tap here in Madison. I can tell why it they were trying to get rid of it. If there was one word to describe this beer, it would have to be "...oh...". Probably the most neutral, average, uninspiring, neither bad nor good beer I've ever had. Oh...I'm, uhhh....drinking a beer?

Pours a transparent dark brown with no real head to speak of. Smells like....umm, beer? Kind of metallic. Tastes like....watery beer? A hint of caramel malt to let you know it's supposed to be dark, but other than that entirely bland. Mouthfeel is probably about the thinnest I've ever experienced in a beer, even the carbonation was limp. Slightly higher drinkability rating only because it goes down like water. So...apparently I drank a beer last night....I guess.

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%

served on tap into a 20oz nonic glass

Coppery/reddish light brown hue very clear.Off-white head,dissapating to ring around glass.looked a bit flat.
Aroma was fruitty,nutty,caramelly,a hint of chocolate.
Taste was bisquitty,carmelly and fruity,dry and tart,a quick sharp,clean bitterness.Taste was a bit bland.
A thin to medium mouthfeel,a grainy texture.
Drinkable,but boring,reminds me of a macro. Got a keg for 1/2 price,now I know why.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.24/5  rDev +2.5%

3.43/5  rDev +8.5%

A- Pours a very amber, 'rusty' color. Mid-clarity, very foamy head. Head is somewhat tannish in color, and retains very little. Like the head was gone after about a minute, and no lacing at all.

S- Definitely mostly malty, with some metallic undertones. Very little hop smell present. Metal smell was mingling with something else, possibly the glass not being completely clean.

T- Hard to describe because of the lack of complexity. Starts off with mild malt that persists for a bit. Right before you finish the drink, a little hop bitterness comes through, but not much, and I couldn't tell you which kind of hops for the life of me.

M- Very watery. Very carbonated. Not what I normally think of for a bock style. Almost light enough for a full night of exclusive drinking.

Overall, I like this beer. I've had it at a brew pub in my hometown a few times and it had never disappointed me. This time it was a little different. The lack of lacing concerns me, but I think that could be due to the cleanliness of the glass like I said. I might have to give this one another try. Still, one of the beers I'd order in a bar for something different, but not one I'd go pay $8 a 6-pack for at the store.

Side note, Shiner's labels are pretty entertaining and informative. I especially liked the ram on the cap of this one.

2.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours brown with an off-white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma or roasted malts is present, but it is not a strong aroma. The malt flavor is pretty mild and the taste is clean and crisp. The hops flavor is pretty mild. Like the Blonde, it does not leave much lacing behind. It is still an average beer, but I remember knocking back quite a few of these years ago.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery