Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,552 | Reviews: 1,077
2.1/5  rDev -33.5%

Eh, its ok not the greatest

Best beer ever! So good! Even got a key to the brewery!

3.73/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The official house lager of the southwest, Prosit!
Cmon bros. show it some love!

3.43/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: [2.75] The beer is a transparent brown. It looks like Coke but slightly lighter brown. It poured with about 1/2 a figner of white head. The head was gone instantly. The bottle does not list the ABV or any dating.

S: [3.50] Brown sugar, nice "woody" notes. Like maybe peat.

T: [3.50] The flavor profile is mild but works well. The beer has a decent amount of caramel/toffee up front. A less sweet version of caramel/toffee. There are some hints of smoke in the midpalate and then late a balance of sweetness with a slight hop kick.

M: [3.25] The beer is pretty thin. But there is some coating as you drink it. No off flavors or sensations linger. The carbonation is above average but still works.

O: [3.50] Maybe I have a soft spot for this one. An old friend used to rave about this beer constantly. I find it enjoyable. I would guess the ABV is 4.9%. It is approachable for BMC drinkers but also well crafted enough for everyone. I will drink it again.

3.45/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Not really a true bock, fails to meet the qualification. Is still not bad, nice Carmel, looks nice.

4.05/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Good good good good good

2.08/5  rDev -34.2%

Lacking flavor and body even for a true Bock beer. Last one I think of when in the mood for the style since I do not really even think this fits it well

4.07/5  rDev +28.8%

One of the best beers from Texas.

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

On tap. Reddish brown amber with a two finger head that didn't leave lacing. Aroma of toasted malt, but I had to try to smell it. Smooth toasted malt body with a dry finish. Medium-light body with medium carbonation and no aftertaste.
It's an ok beer. Technically, it's too thin and a bit conservative for a bock. For me, it's a good outdoor concert beer, especially in the summer.

3.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Good solid bock. The locals in Shiner said it was crap but I love Shiner. They make really good beer.

2.72/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

12 oz amber bottle poured into glass mug. Could not locate a manufacturing date on bottle.

A – Amber in color - very clear. A nice head formed initially, but the carbonation hissed and retreated within seconds, leaving absolutely no head or lacing.

S – Initially no aroma whatsoever. After a few moments a mild scent of sweet, toasty malt.

T – Smooth, mild taste of toasty malts up front. Did not have any kick for being a bock. Aftertaste was dry and a little sour, like pretzels. Difficult to find any other flavor profile.

M – Thin, watery body with minimal carbonation. I like to have at least some chew in a bock.

O - Drinkable, but no unique flavor profile. I would best enjoy this beer to cool down after a long day in the summer sun. Aftertaste was only slightly off-putting. Does not fit the bill to be called a bock.

4.42/5  rDev +39.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Shiner Bock is smooth going down

I prefer it over a standard light beer. It's alright.

3.46/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Texas Tony’s, Naples, Florida.
Dark amber with a few white trailers. 3.75
Sickly sweet malt syrup nose with some flowers. 3.25
Dark toast, some muscavado, and root beer spice. 3.5
Stale oak leaf finish and mildly tingly linger.
Thin yet sticky, tinny. 3.5

Not vaguely like a good bock - cloying, no snap in the body, no bite to keep it clean. But also not horrible: different enough from Macro and quaffably smooth. Like Fat Tire, a gateway that can stand on its own. 3.5

4.9/5  rDev +55.1%

Love this beer! I had Shiner Bock on tap for first time it was delicious! Color caramel brown, not much head on this beer tho. Smooth refreshing beer that in my opinion is great drink after doing yard work or honey doos. This definitely not a full bodied wheat or ale beer but an upgrade from typical mass produced bud light or colors light. Next keg will be Shiner Bock in my kegerator. One of my all time faves. Cheers.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%

Easily my go to Bock. One word, "Texas."

Favorite beer! Texas baby!!!! Woo!

3.06/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

uninspired beer, just an ok beer.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not heavy enough for a bock, crisp and refreshing on a hot summer Texas Day.
I much prefer Texas' Revolver Bock, while still not a true bock it has a much more full bodied finish than Shiner

3.42/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12 FL. OZ. bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

It is a very deep amber color. It is topped with a fleeting tan head.

Aromas of caramel and toffee come to mind along with some toast.

The taste is toast and caramel.

Watery mouthfeel

This was a gateway beer for me. I haven't had it in a long time.

1.58/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was just bad. I got no malt at all. Tasted like a macro light lager.

4.87/5  rDev +54.1%

Great beer! It agrees with my palate!

2.36/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

This beer poured out a light brown, with a thin layer of head that died quickly. Color was too light and head retention too short to give me a lot of hope, but here goes.

Aroma was lightly nutty and slightly sweet. Not too bad. But it was very faint, and did not declare itself as it should have. I had to sniff a second time to make sure there really was beer in the glass, not just the ghosts of an empty glass.

Taste was of very light malt. That was it. So faint there was almost no flavor at all. It made me think of how it would taste if you had a beer-flavored Mio and only added a few drops to your water. Zero bitterness.

This beer felt WAY too thin and watered down. I expected some body. After all, they are calling it a bock. Where the hell was the maltiness? Granted this is from Texas, not Munich... but still if you're going to name the style at least represent the dang style.

Overall very disappointing. It was drinkable, don't get me wrong. There was nothing about it that tasted BAD. I'd still take it over a PBR. But it is a poor representative of the style and was almost like drinking lightly flavored, nearly flat seltzer water. I am glad I only bought a single. It was at least worth the experience, since to really be able to rate a beer I feel you need to have tasted some bad examples as well as the good ones to be well rounded.

Had tried getting into bocks so started with this. With the reviews I was excited but overall disappointed. Not a bad beer but nothing great. I'll be in search of different bocks.

3.14/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours amber color with little to no head at all. Smells like a wheat beer. Also tatses like one too. Goes down smooth for me. Not a strong beer for my taste, I like em heavy. Still I can see myself getn a sixer for later. Not bad. But not the best I've had of this kind.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner