Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
grittybrews

3.48/5  rDev +11.2%

Poured a murky mahogany-amber into a pint glass with a finger of off-white head. Somewhat watery aroma with a little grainy malt.

Moderate carbonation and a light, creamy mouthfeel. Slightly bitter flavors of bread and nutty caramel malt with a touch of lemon on the finish.

This beer was omnipresent during my years in Texas and I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for it, even if it doesn't stack up so well when held up for review.

06-17-2011 04:30:45 | More by grittybrews
Stunner97

2.38/5  rDev -24%

Appearance- brown with very thin lacing not much of head and not whole lot carbonation though some can be seen

Smell- slight raisins and rum, malty dominated nose thought nothing overwhelming

Taste- flavor is slightly malty and sweet up front with slight grain hop on finish, slight metallic twinge, flavor is not complex nor particularly great, but simple and easy

Mouthfeel- light low carbonation, smooth and mellow

drinkablilty - this beer is very easy to drink but its not really complex or enjoyable enough for me to seek out, my second time trying out of bottle was really not much better then tap, id avoid

06-14-2011 02:57:24 | More by Stunner97
sweett3k

3.85/5  rDev +23%

I had this beer at Cousin's BBQ at the Dallas Airport. It was served in a plastic pint cup. The beer was Medium brown in color with a sweet aroma. The beer was smooth, dry, a little bitter and metallic taste. No after taste at all. Best Texas beer I have had.

06-13-2011 18:16:23 | More by sweett3k
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.1/5  rDev -1%

I have to say that this is better than I remember. I could be hallucinating, but it seems to have gained some body and depth of flavor since I last tried it. Who knows- it's been a awhile. In any case, the pour isn't much- very dark maber, almost chestnut with a head that promises much but fades quickly. Nicely malty and nutty in the aroma with some toasted grain and some light earthy hop aromas on the finish. The taste has some more of that toasted grain, a fair bit of sweetness, and some cereal grains. There is a bit of grainy slickness and slight sourness on the finish, but the nicely toasty notes are still there. Probably suffers more in the mouthfeel than taste from these defects. I could drink this ocassionally.

05-25-2011 03:03:37 | More by Georgiabeer
bisonkron

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into sam adams perfect pint.

Appearance: brown, clear, thin white head that dissipates in seconds. no lacing. nice carbonation.

Smell: a hint of sweet with a mostly a cheap/old beer smell

Taste: not a ton of taste. Toasty malt, clean, somewhat sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation

Overall: great cheap beer for cooling off in the Texas heat.

05-24-2011 15:41:10 | More by bisonkron
SWMeyer4141

2.03/5  rDev -35.1%

As a Texas resident this is the beer that everyone thinks I drink when I say I prefer "craft beers". I haven't had it in years.

Appearance-Color of a raison. Not sure if I turned my head for a second and the head dissipated that quickly, or if there really was no head. Like Hiku7 said, looks like a flat coke.

Smell-Very bready, thats about it.

Taste-Some more breadiness, very light malty sweetness.

Mouthfeel-Very light and no body at all. light carbonation.

Overall-One more beer to try out of the Spoetzl brewery "Shiner" six pack. Thank goodness, these beers suck.

05-20-2011 03:33:45 | More by SWMeyer4141
Dope

2.53/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Decent brown beer with a thin white head that dissipates almost immediately. No lacing to speak of.

S: Very generic malt smell - almost a bit bready but very subtle in general.

T: Average at best. Tastes like a watered down generic bock. Some maltyness and not much else.

M: Watery, boring as can be.

D: Given the low ABV and the thinness you could probably drink a bunch of these. However I could barely drink one bottle, it just has almost no appealing side to it.

Really didn't find this beer appealing at all. It was plain to the point of almost being undrinkable. Simple beers can be (very) good but to be honest I think I'd rather drink a bud light.

05-19-2011 21:08:25 | More by Dope
hiku7

2.65/5  rDev -15.3%

A 12 ounce bottle poured a clear brownish copper cola color to a nonic pint glass. There was almost no head. It almost immediately resembled flat cola.

Smell is a bit sweet, some mildly sour yeastiness, and not much else. Taste is brown sugar with a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. Sometimes a simple taste is sublime. Sometimes it's just simple. This is just simple.

Mouthfeel is light and without the fizziness in the back of the throat would resemble the flat soda the appearance suggests.

I will not buy this again.

05-19-2011 02:35:18 | More by hiku7
HuskyinPDX

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

I had several of these during a work meeting in Fort Worth. I have the moto, drink what is local.

A- Pale light yellowish-orange. Thin white head, fades very quickly.

S- wheat, malts, barley.

T- Very mild malts, wheat, barley.

D- Very lively carbonation.

O- It is not gonna win any awards, but in Texas it is hot. This is a good beer on a hot day. Goes down easy.

05-12-2011 04:10:13 | More by HuskyinPDX
bristol2120

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Not much of a head on initial pour, and what there was dissipated extremely quickly leaving only the faintest traces of foam. Appearance is medium deep orange-copper. Aroma is very underwhelming, with only the faintest hint of hops, and no malt notes to be found at all. taste is very similar; not much at all to be found, and overall, quite watery. Mouthfeel is a bit of an improvement, with a bit of body and some nice, tight carbonation present. Overall, while not an offensive product, this beer left quite a bit to be desired.

05-11-2011 02:06:36 | More by bristol2120
Seeker41184

2.6/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Date Drunk: 12/15/10

A; Copper color with no head.
S: Malt and metal.
T: All I am getting is a Malty flavor with a hint of metal taste.
M: Very watery for a Bock.
O: Kinda reminds me of an extremely watered down Sam Winter. I would not try again, but is a session beer.

05-08-2011 17:57:04 | More by Seeker41184
MadCat

3.13/5  rDev 0%

Saw a mixed six of Shiner brews, so I figured I might as well pick it up. A good way to see if the Bock is how I remember.

Appearance: Very brown, clear, small white head that dissipates as fast as it came, leaves almost no lacing

Smell: Very sweet malt nose with some wet dog in there

Taste: Fortunately the taste is better than the smell. Toasty malt, clean, some caramel, relatively sweet.

Mouthfeel: Light body, crisp carbonation

Overall: Pretty much how I remember it. Decent, especially when I was in Texas and it was this or BMC, but not something I would go out of my way for. Also very overpriced here in NJ, I would put it on par with Yuengling, but its price is more in line with Sierra Nevada.

05-08-2011 04:07:20 | More by MadCat
jag21

2.68/5  rDev -14.4%

A: A medium brown with beige head. Small carbonation bubbles

S: Wheat malt, some hoppiness, real simple

T: Not complex, I get some dead grass, tiny bit of malt, off-putting hops to end

M: Carbonation is OK, but doesn't help this beer

D: Drinkable maybe on a hot summer day, but with so many craft choices here, not going with this novelty again

05-04-2011 18:43:56 | More by jag21
prosit13

3.45/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Shiner Bock-maybe it's just a Texas thing but I could kick it back all day. Nice and light, easy to drink, admittedly out of line for a bock but we love it. Perfectly hopped for enjoying in the hot Texas sun and with a nice touch of sweetness on the finish. Great with a generous wedge of lemon. We love it and the whole world would to if they could get their hands on it.

05-04-2011 07:26:27 | More by prosit13
jeranbrews

Oklahoma

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Reviewed on 4-18-'11

A - A deep maple color with a beige head. Lots of tiny fizzy champagne bubbles

S - Mild grassy notes. Plenty of CO2 and loose wheaty malts plus some simple hops. Nothing fancy hear but not unpleasant. Very average.

T - Sour hay lots of grassy but stale flavors. Mild honey aftertaste.

M - Fizzy from start to finish. Balance is ok if homogeneous is what you want. Neither silky nor watery. Very processed.

D - Perfectly fine for an easy to obtain convenience store beer.

05-03-2011 16:31:51 | More by jeranbrews
dsa7783

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not too impressed with this American depiction of a thoroughly classic European style. Light-bodied; thin, lacking strong aroma nor noticeable flavor. Easy on the palate but nothing to write home about. Not particularly recommended. Pours a light-brown hue with minimal foam and carbonation. Not a very well-rounded beer to say the least.

05-01-2011 21:39:09 | More by dsa7783
schoolboy

3.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Boring. I had this once before and found it to be boring. Same now. I think even if I let it go all the way warm there wouldn't be anything going on.

It barely has any scent, but what it has is OK. It also is well crafted - it does not have any offensive taste, which means you could drink a few and not get sick. I am usually looking for a little more, though. This isn't even as good as Genny bock.

05-01-2011 00:32:52 | More by schoolboy
mdaschaf

2.83/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours light brown with a small, egg-white head with very little retention and no lacing left behind.

S: Light, grainy malt, some lager yeast, a little bit of caramel, and a hint of light fruity hops.

T: Slightly sweet, with a little bit of citrusy fruit. Heavier amounts of caramel and grains that end up dominating the flavor profile. The finish has a bready taste.

M: Light to medium bodied. Crisp and easy drinking.

D: For a bock, the flavors are rather weak, its a good introductory beer for people that only drink BMC, especially at its price, but it tastes more like a light lager than a bock.

04-28-2011 01:53:38 | More by mdaschaf
oriolesfan4

Maryland

2.35/5  rDev -24.9%

Part of the Shiner mixed 12 pack, really liked all of them so far. I've actually heard of this beer before, and it's one of my least favorite styles but I'll try anything. Pours a reddish/orange color, not much going on in the aroma department. Very little carbonation, almost seems like it's flat. Mouthfeel is a bit rough, for a low ABV beer has a bit of an alcohol taste and not very appealing. I drink the two bottles in the box, but would never purchase this on its own. Not the worst beer I've had, but definitely not a good one by any means.

04-24-2011 00:49:05 | More by oriolesfan4
Kylito87

2.73/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. 12 ounce longneck with no date code to speak of.

Appearance: Crystal clear burnt reddish brown with a tawny head that falls into a ring and leaves spotty lacing .

Aroma: The nose is very subdued in this beer. Some slight grain , earth, and carmel notes. No real hop presence in the nose at all.

Taste: Up front grainy astringancy. About as much hop presence as a budlight. There is a finishing cloying metalic taste like the beer was poured from a can. I know this style isn't a hop forward beer so I can't knock it for that I just wish this beer had some more in the way of flavor

Mouthfeel- Very watery light body with ample amount of carbonation. Very dry in the finish. The beer also had me wanting more in the mouthfeel area. I am used to the more chewy and sticky bocks but this light years from that.

Bottom line: Is it horrible? not at all. It has some metallic notes that remind me of canned macro. It is for sure refreshing and if I had it in cans in my area this would be a great fishing beer for when I am on the Illinois river on my dads boat.

04-23-2011 02:18:55 | More by Kylito87
dali27

3.08/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into glass.

A: A clear dark amber color, or light brown. Active carbonation with a tan head.

S: Toasted grains, bready malts and earthy scent. None of these scents are really strong and they provide a mild refreshing aroma.

T: Taste has malty and nutty flavor. Also, a slight sweet caramel taste is in there. I get a small metallic taste, more of an aftertaste. Other than the metal, this one was tasting decent.

M: Medium mouthfeel, which made this hard drink towrds the end.

O: Pretty average in my opinion. I had this a couple years ago with bbq in Austin, and I liked it then. This time when actually thinking about what I was drinking I was a little more unimpressed. Will probably have again in the future somewhere in Texas, but I won't actively seek it out.

04-18-2011 23:31:12 | More by dali27
Bouleboubier

3.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not the best bock. Is it a bock at all? A little more like an Alt, huh? Tanned-tawny, black-tea hue. Perfectly clean. Big pillow of foam settles shortly, but a smooth creme-colored ring holds steady. Light malt aroma - malt, as in malted grain - a hair husky. Smooth, light-toasty, lingering light-caramel flavor. Apparent ultra-mild bitter left on the tongue might be all husk, not hop. Not a bad taste, only just a 2.5 out of 5 on depth, at least. Average, but certainly not off-putting. Nice, clean, easy-drinking. Especially at its low ABV - which may not be to style, whatever. They goofed, this is a lite Alt.

I can easily rap off dozens of beers that are worse than this. I'd drink quite a few of these with no issues. I guess I like it (wondering if my slender Euro pint was making this easy on me).

04-15-2011 02:52:06 | More by Bouleboubier
richkrull

Wisconsin

3.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Tried this one at my parents' house over the weekend.

Poured a darker copper color with just a small amount of beige head on it. Smell was pretty weak, some caramel malt but not a lot going on here. Taste was decent but again, was a little on the weak side. Some spice along with the malt, but there could have been more here I think. Light bodied beer that went down pretty easy. This wasn't a bad beer at all, but I think it could have been a little better. That being said, it went down smooth and tasted pretty good overall.

04-13-2011 19:23:54 | More by richkrull
BARFLYB

3.13/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle into a pint type glass.

A- Shiner Bock pours out ruby type red and lays in the glass the same shade, a fizzy inch and a half of dark tan foam that dies into nothing, no lace.

S- A very straight forward bock, no punches pulled here. Grainy with a touch of caramel and a sense of earthy german type noble hops maybe.

T- Str8 forward bock yet less full in flavor than a German. 4.4 is quite light so the body is quite full for that as well. Caramel with earthy grainy taste and a touch of bitterness on the end that is a memory.

M- A touch maltier and thicker than expected for a four point fourer. Carb is almost non existant, but thats the style, even though this could use a push.

D- A bock to go for in a crunch and priced approprietly for what you get. I would drink a few in a party setting, although I think I might of enjoyed this a bit more from a can.

04-11-2011 02:40:27 | More by BARFLYB
dtivp

2.9/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured a clear copper brown, no head just a small light tan ring, no lacing.

Aroma was very weak , a slight hint of malt.

Taste was a slightly grainy malt with a hint of spice.

Mouthfeel was light body, very light carbonation an dry.

Overall a very average bock, nothing to write home about.

04-08-2011 20:38:03 | More by dtivp