Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
aval89

3.05/5  rDev -2.9%

a: pours a dark amber with a clear body.. got about a half finger worth of off white head.. settles to a thin cap..

s: almost all malt here.. maybe some caramel along with slightly toasted malt.. slight metallic undertone.. faint earthiness as well..

t: upfront is a slight toasty malt with some metallic.. middle of the tongue brings a bit of sweetness to the flavor.. backend is slightly toasty malt with some earthiness qualities to it..

mf: light bodied with a bit more than "crisp" carbonation.. clean finish for the most part..

o: finally get to try this.. its not bad for what it is.. makes for a good session brew.

09-08-2011 10:42:23 | More by aval89
mvreeland

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Although this beer is marketed as a bock, it is closer in style to a Vienna lager. Relatively low in alcohol and taste (the opposite of a proper bock), this beer is nevertheless refreshing with a meal and a definite step up from the usual big-name American beers. In Texas, it is almost as widely available as Budweiser, making it a good go-to beer in situations where no true microbrews are available.

09-08-2011 05:19:59 | More by mvreeland
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

3.43/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Pours a very amber, 'rusty' color. Mid-clarity, very foamy head. Head is somewhat tannish in color, and retains very little. Like the head was gone after about a minute, and no lacing at all.

S- Definitely mostly malty, with some metallic undertones. Very little hop smell present. Metal smell was mingling with something else, possibly the glass not being completely clean.

T- Hard to describe because of the lack of complexity. Starts off with mild malt that persists for a bit. Right before you finish the drink, a little hop bitterness comes through, but not much, and I couldn't tell you which kind of hops for the life of me.

M- Very watery. Very carbonated. Not what I normally think of for a bock style. Almost light enough for a full night of exclusive drinking.

Overall, I like this beer. I've had it at a brew pub in my hometown a few times and it had never disappointed me. This time it was a little different. The lack of lacing concerns me, but I think that could be due to the cleanliness of the glass like I said. I might have to give this one another try. Still, one of the beers I'd order in a bar for something different, but not one I'd go pay $8 a 6-pack for at the store.

Side note, Shiner's labels are pretty entertaining and informative. I especially liked the ram on the cap of this one.

09-08-2011 02:49:14 | More by boilermakerbrew
jtierney89

1.3/5  rDev -58.6%

I was very disappointed with this beer. It almost had no flavor. I thought it looked great when the bartender brought me over a tasting glass but was very surprised to taste almost nothing. A lot of carbonation and very light and almost no taste notes that my taste buds could pick up.

09-07-2011 23:25:52 | More by jtierney89
ummswimmin

1.88/5  rDev -40.1%

I didn't expect much from the beer. So I poured it as the fourth drink of the night.

I poured the bottle into a pint glass. Surprisingly there was no head. I saw carbonation, but no foam.

The coloring is brown with a little red in it.

I told my friend that it tasted like college... cheap, skunky, with little redeeming quality. It tastes like Rolling Rock at room temperature (unfortunately I have had this).

The flavors are very lager heavy. I get lots of corn style flavors.

Honestly, this was a sink pour after drinking about a quarter of it.

09-06-2011 02:52:50 | More by ummswimmin
gerite

Alabama

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

I think this is a good example of an American bock beer brewed in Texas. My Shiner poured a dark amber color with an average sized head that dissipated a little too rapidly for me. It has a robust malty flavor with a slight hint of hops and good carbonation. This is a great all-purpose bock beer that goes good with bar-b-ques and other meaty dishes.

09-04-2011 17:25:59 | More by gerite
paxchristi

Missouri

2.23/5  rDev -29%

I had this beer from a legion bar in Concordia, KS during a wedding reception. I had never had a Shiner Bock and there are people who swear by it. It was the only beer there that was not your token macro beer, so I gave it a shot.

Appearance: Pours dark yellow to copper color with paper thin head that diminishes within seconds. It looks like another generic, macro-skewed beer for those who wish to drink something different from the bar other than Bud Light, Budweiser, and Coors.

Smell: Hardly anything to the nose. I remember very little about this beer in the nose other than a distant hoppiness. I did get a glimpse of malt, but it seemed unimpressive and certainly nowhere near robust.

Taste: Generic. In fact, I am left wondering whether or not I am insane because many reviews suggest that they taste biscuity flavors and flavors of dark fruits. I got cereal grains and weak hops.

Mouth: Even carbonation and a very light-medium body. This was its strong point, but its still fairly par for a bock if you ask me.

Overall: Won't drink it again probably for quite some time. The only foreseeable reason I would drink it again is if I am once again stuck out in the middle of BF Egypt and its the only thing they have that is not macro or owned by macro.

I don't get the following on this beer. I must be a bit of an elitist I guess.

08-23-2011 15:49:01 | More by paxchristi
CraftBeerTastic

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%

Ba Review #44
Served On: 8/21/2011
Glassware: Wiezen Glass

This was one from the 2011 Shiner Family Reunion mixed six pack.

Look: Had a dark copper color with a thin white head that diminished within moments of pouring.

Smell: Dark fruits and lager yeast made up most of the aroma. There was also a spicy note, possibly from a specific hop variety used.

Taste: Initial dark fruits followed by biscuity yeast. The spiciness hit during the finish while the fruits lingered. High carbonation was throughout the entire palate.

This is a great Bock, especially for one that's offered year round. This is a great all-purpose beer to keep on hand.

08-21-2011 19:51:13 | More by CraftBeerTastic
fabiansoliz

4.53/5  rDev +44.3%

I had this beer on tap at the Tower of Americas Bar in San Antonio. It was a dark beer with a light taste and mild flavor. It didn't have a lot of bite. I live in New York and our community beer store has a lot of imported beers from around the world, but this one I can't find in the city.

08-21-2011 16:10:21 | More by fabiansoliz
AdamBear

3.53/5  rDev +12.4%

A-nice amber, slightly transparent. thin cream colored head

S-a real clean and simple scent of sweet grains and caramel. very faint.

T-comes in just as the nose suggests. mostly sweet grains and some caramel malts. it actually reminds me of a really weak belgian dark ale. very clean taste. matching after-taste. very refreshing

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a semi dry finish

O-obviously not a world class beer, but when stuck in a beer wasteland of BMC products, this is a treat. its very crisp and something that can be easily consumed in large amounts.

08-20-2011 18:51:37 | More by AdamBear
FreshmanPour77

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

Reviewed on 8-13-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured a finger of foam, clear dark brown color. Carbonation is present

S – Malts with very little hop aroma

T/M – Medium to lighter bodied brew. Slight chocolate/caramel taste. Smooth brew to say the least

D – Easy drinker, smooth tasting lighter bodied brew. Glad I had tried the brew but wouldn’t seek it out again

08-17-2011 17:57:20 | More by FreshmanPour77
warnerry

Shiner bock
A - Pours a nice amber color but is completely lacking head.

S - Hardly any detected aroma except for a bit of sweet malt

T - A bit of malt with a weird slightly metallic taste and faint touch of hops. Doesn't really taste like a bock, more like a lager.

M - Pretty thin mouthfeel with a low level of carbonation.

D - Poor flavor profile and thin mouthfeel make one more than enough.

08-15-2011 00:55:17 | More by warnerry
tdm168

3.45/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a deep amber with a 1/4" of head that quickly fades. Smells fruity and malty. Taste is malty and fruity as well with a light malt character and an apple like fruity sweetness. Over carbonated and rather light and thin.

If this beer weren't over carbonated and had just a slightly more robust flavor profile, it would be a really decent beer. As it stands it's just OK.

08-10-2011 02:23:50 | More by tdm168
SummitVA

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -19.4%

A - amber pour into a dingy pint glass. Light carbonation, very little head

S - sweet malt, some caramel, maybe a bit of brown sugar

T - sweetness and a bit of bitterness, but fairly lifeless overall

M - thin and watery

O - hadn't had a Shiner in years, and I'm thinking I'll take another break. Still this has so often been an oasis of a tap handle at a dive bar, just as it wad tonight. Goes down well while kicking back and viewing hipster antics and listening to bad local music

08-09-2011 02:12:47 | More by SummitVA
drowninginhops

South Carolina

2.53/5  rDev -19.4%

Served in a standard pint glass.

A: Not terribly impressive standard bock look brown with red accents. Off white head ~ 1 finger that dissipates quickly.

S: Malts not much else.

T: Bland, some malts.

M: On the thin side, but the beers best aspect.

D: Meh.... pass

08-07-2011 03:26:00 | More by drowninginhops
jayhawk73

Maryland

1.98/5  rDev -36.9%

Pours a medium brown color, with very little head. Almost no carbonation and just about zero lacing. The smell is very one dimensional to me. Wheat, a tiny bit of malt, and an odd copper smell. Very thin nose on this beer. The taste is about the same. Very thin, uninteresting, and not worth finishing. This one's a drainpour for me. Mouthfeel is somewhat dry and definitely on the thin side, with a copper aftertaste. Overall, I would not recommend this beer.. You can do a lot better for the style.

08-06-2011 18:21:44 | More by jayhawk73
drcarver

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - brown body has the appearance of carbonated iced tea. bubbles cling to the sides of the glass. no head to speak of. no lacing.

S - sweet maltiness. bready but more of stale bread than the fresh baked yeast aroma.

T/M - watery, but hints of molasses or dark brown sugar. clean finish with no aftertaste. no hints of anything beyond that of malt.

O - I'd like to think that I got an old bottle but I'm not too sure.

08-05-2011 18:54:44 | More by drcarver
schmidtn

Part of a variety 6 pack purchased today that Spoetzl sends out.

Poured into a wine glass. Dark Amber colored. Nice foamy head, White. Left little lacing.

Smells very little like a bock.

Carbonated a bit much, not enough body for bock.

Not a bad beer, but to call this a bock is just not right. Amber lager would be better.

If I am looking to drink a bock, I will pass on this.

08-02-2011 03:24:04 | More by schmidtn
StacyD

3.58/5  rDev +14%

First Off, it seems that there is a huge difference in the Beer that is available in Texas and what is available elsewhere.

I had first tried this beer in Chicago on Tap in a local bar. I was not impressed to say the least. The again had it in a bottle at a social gathering and it tasted like the same bland easy-drinking ale.

Then I was offered it again in Dallas and it looks, smells, and drinks like a completely different beer.

The Beer that I had in Chicago (where I am from) had a frothier head and tasted like a Pilsner. It was rather bland with a fairly blonde color and not much better than your average Big 3 beer.

The Beer in Texas is another matter and completely different. The Head is relatively flat with only mild carbonation. The color is dark like a porter, only still clear to the bottom of the glass. The taste is much hoppier and darker as well. Mouthfeel is also much more syrupy, but not as syrupy as a porter and still relatively clean on the palate. The flavor does not linger long on the tongue.

Whomever is making the beer for export is doing something VERY WRONG. It is a completely different beer outside of the state.

In Texas, it is a "Good" Beer and can be had inexpensively almost anywhere. Outside of Texas, I would say to avoid it. Many of the people here know this, it is a shame that they give that other beer the same name.

07-28-2011 17:19:31 | More by StacyD
Duff27

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A- Half inch of off white head atop a dark amber/brown beer. Very little lacing and below average head retention.

S- Bready.

T" More bread character. Tastes "burnt'. Easy drinking, no alcohol detected.

M- A little thin but good carbonation.

D/O- With such a low abv and its easy drinkingness, its no wonder why this is so popular. I found it very quaffable.

07-27-2011 23:59:26 | More by Duff27
PhillyStyle

Georgia

2.38/5  rDev -24.2%

On-tab at a bar in Detroit:

The beer appeared to be clear, slightly darker amber than expected with a finger of white, foamy head that faded in a matter of seconds. No lacing to mention, but some noticeable carbonation floating to the top of the glass. The aroma was overall pretty weak. It gave off a very light bread aroma that was slightly sweet. Not much more than that. The taste was pretty well as expected, very light in flavor, but followed the nose with no hops to mention. The beer was light in the mouth, carbonation seemed to be right and drinkability was on par with other beers of a similar nature that is to say below average. Overall, while better than the likes of some light beers, this is not a beer that I will have often and more than likely will pick something else if I see it on tap.

07-26-2011 16:41:28 | More by PhillyStyle
kflorence

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - FEB 17, 2008

It was on sale at the grocery store and I hadn’t tried it yet, so I decided to give it a go. Poured the first one, not much head at all, smell was hoppy and metallic with some toasty notes in there as well. Although it is kind of dark in color, it is not a heavy beer and it’s very easy to drink. The flavor is sweet, toasted and nutty with some hop flavor as well. It’s really not bad, more than I expected, but it’s nothing special. It lacks the flavor that real bocks bring to the table and has nothing that makes it stand out, but it tastes pretty good and is light enough to be drinkable, so I can’t complain.

07-23-2011 04:16:46 | More by kflorence
jgreenearrow

2.8/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly translucent medium brown color with some reddish tones. A thin head developed at the top of the pour with no lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Hazelnuts and malts dominate the nose. Some molasses notes are present as well.

T: This beer lacks flavor. Some malt presence at the onset and slight nuttiness. Some slight hop bitterness is present as well.

M: This is a pretty light bodied beer. Prickly carbonation is adequate.

Overall, this is a pretty unimpressive beer. It's not undrinkable, but it doesn't impress. The flavor profile is very lacking. The beer comes across as watery and not very complex.

07-20-2011 02:28:37 | More by jgreenearrow
UCLABrewN84

2.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a clear orange color with a small 1/2 inch off-white head that fades to an oily film on the top of the beer. No lacing whatsoever. Smell is of bready malt only. Pretty one dimensional overall. Taste is just like the smell with only a biscuit-like malt flavor coming through. This beer has a very high level of carbonation with a crisp and effervescent mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a one dimensional smell and taste.

07-16-2011 02:59:01 | More by UCLABrewN84
DavidSeanNJ

2.73/5  rDev -13.1%

12 oz. bottle poured slowly into a Sam Adams pint glass.

Brownish/ruby colored liquid. Very thin off white head. No lacing. Lots of carbonation. Smell was grainy. Faint fruity smell. Taste was bland. Malty, but not enough punch. Thin mouthfeel. Very disappointed by this beer given it's popularity. Easy drinking beer that is not terrible overall, but just lacks flavor and individuality.

07-14-2011 00:39:46 | More by DavidSeanNJ