Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros

1.98/5  rDev -37.3%

I am absolutely NOT a fan of this beer. The price point at $1.99 was fine, so I could swallow that, but I couldn't really swallow the rest.

Was it BAD? No. Was it GOOD? God, no. I can only regard this beer as...well...bland. To be fair, it pours a very nice clear darker colour so I was excited by that, but the taste had...well..nothing really, beyond carbonation and a very weak light lager sort of taste. I was honestly unsure as to whether there was actually any alcohol in it - and for a beer, that is somewhat important to me.

Sadly there was no wow factor that made me want this beer, it was just far too week for my tastes. If you want something rather cheap, go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't really recommend this to suit your needs.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

3.35/5  rDev +6%

Shiner Bock is the flagship brew from a Texas institution—certainly they qualify as a craft brew but for some reason, not entirely unjustifiable, they don’t get a lot of love from the craft beer drinking community.

This pours an auburn color. There’s a muted maltiness to it, turned down but present. There’s a pleasing biscuit maltiness to this. When it’s served cold I don’t get a lot of the syrupiness that comes through when it warms.

I don’t think of Shiner Bock as a bock—in the technical, beer-style sense. It’s lighter in color, lighter in flavor, and lightered bodied than a Salvator or any other beer faithful to the style. But that doesn’t mean it’s bad. Or good. Point is, Shiner Bock is one of those beers that I have a love/hate relationship with. Sometimes it hits the spot—and I’ll take a Shiner over BMC anytime—but sometimes I just plain don’t care for it. So there.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery