Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
2.73/5  rDev -13.6%

If they called this Shiner amber lager, I'd score it better. This isn't bad beer, but calling it a bock is definately misleading. Its attractive, light brown, and drinkable. But apparently the malt flavor, backbone of a bock, had one too many at the bar and forgot to get on the bus. This is just too flavorless for a bock.

3.33/5  rDev +5.4%

A - a hazelnut trans. brown. or maybe light maple syrup is a better description. little to no head from my aggresive pour.

S - caramel malts and a slight nuttyness, not much else to speak of.

T - very malt centered -caramel mostly, with light hopping and an earthy and nutty flavor going on. ends with a sweetness that lingers for a second then cleans up.

MF - very smooth and thin. not much of a body here, but it goes down easy.

D - excellent session beer. not to heavy on flavor or body, but enough to put 'em down like a champ.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear amber with a tan head that disappears very quickly.
Aroma - I don't pick up much. Maybe some hints of crassiness. Reminds me of less expensive economy beers.
Taste: A little maltiness and a hint of molasses, but again not a lot there.
Medium body and finishes with a dry aftertaste.
Overall very average andd the fact that this runs 30% more than the "average economy" brew means that is unlikely I'll be buying this.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

This poured a clear mahogany with some tan head. It smelled like sour yeast and burnt barley with some lemon and copper hops and a bit of caramel and bread crust. It tasted like roasted barley and copper hops with some lemon and crust and sour yeast. It was thin and very carbonated, with a bitter aftertaste. Overall this was fairly clean with a moderately enjoyable taste, but was generally not an appetizing beer. The body was poor, although it was bland enough to still be reasonably easy to drink. Better than some macros, but not as good as most craft beers. Not recommended.

2.83/5  rDev -10.4%

I've been wanting to try this for a while, so I picked some up at the Whole Foods in Dublin, Ohio...

Appearance: Pours to a clear deep amber color with light foam that fades quickly with almost no lacing.

Smell: Indistinct and light. Some slight malt hints in the aroma.

Taste: Very light taste. Mild bitterness, mild malt flavor. A very subtle beer. Refreshing, but easily overwhelmed by food.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery with some unreleased carbonation.

Drinkability: Good, refreshing, pleasant to drink, but not particularly interesting.

2.85/5  rDev -9.8%

Finally tried the beer featured in the YouTube classic "My New Haircut: Redneck Edition" on tap at Wild Wing (not Buffalo Wild Wings) in Winston-Salem, NC. As the video shows, if you throw a shot of Wild Turkey in this and then slam it, that is known as a "turkey bomb." I strongly do not recommend you try this.

A - Clear dark amber color with a small, dissipating white head that leaves a little lacing.

S - Somewhat muted aroma with caramel, roast, and grain. Looked like an idiot in the bar trying to actually smell this stuff.

T - Malty with caramel, mild roast, brown sugar, and nuts. Fairly one-dimensional but not too bad.

M - Palate is lighter than I'd like. Carbonation medium-high.

D - Average. It's light, but the beer is slightly sub-par overall.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear, copper color with a thin head that dwindles down to nothing almost immediately. Little to no lacing. Taste is carbonated and somewhat watery with hardly any bitterness. A fairly uninspired beer.

It's drinkable enough - low ABV and mild taste. But you'll get bored of it quickly.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: translucent with a deep tawny hue and a quickly-dissipating white head.

Smell: very light, malty aroma.

Taste: nice and malty but not a whole lot of character. Slightly bitter but hops flavor is minimal. Not bad, but average.

Mouthfeel: body is on the light side of medium but the carbonation is quite nice.

Drinkability: pretty drinkable in my book, but the relatively light and monotonous flavor hold it back a little.

3.35/5  rDev +6%

A - A clear copper body...an aggressive pour produced two fingers of head...the head was light tan in color and faded quickly...some lacing was left

S - Very watered down in the nose...faint caramel malts

T - There's a little more flavor coming out here...there are definitely caramel malts present...they have a nice sweet flavor and are slightly roasted...there's no dark fruit flavors...but there is a slight hop bitterness at the end of this beer...I did not expect that from the nose...so it was nice to have

M - Light bodied actually...nothing too special here...watery and doesn't coat the palate

D - Besides the muted nose and watered downess...this beer is pretty drinkable...it's not too heavy and the caramel flavors are nice...now it wouldn't be my go-to-beer...but I could have two or three of these

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. Fizzy head that quickly settled to a millimeter-thick film across the beer with some moderate, if quick moving, lacing. Beer is a clear medium copper.

Beer smells fruity, mostly strawberry, pear and ...raisin? Some celery notes hit the back of the sinuses as well.

Taste is gently malty, with the strawberry and pear notes coming through. Only the slightest bit of hops at the end fading out to a finish that hangs onto the roof of the mouth.

Mouthfeel is thin and only a little fizzy. Not a whole lot of substance there, but easy to drink.

I put 3 of these away the other night in the course of cooking a meal. They don't exactly stick with you, not memorable but easy and enjoyable enough to drink.

2.58/5  rDev -18.4%

Had a friend pick me up some Shiner Bock on his trip to Texas after reading about it in a book.

Wasn't as impressed with it after trying it, not horrible just not what I was expecting.

Reddish brown, a little bit of head which dissipated quickly, no lacing. Was not much there in the smell department, couldn't pick up anything noticeable. Just a tiny bit of malt in the taste, no hops, nothing spectacular but, nothing off tasting. Low carbonation, a little fizzy but it is easy to drink, however with not much taste I probably would not drink too many. I am glad I did not have to buy it.

2.1/5  rDev -33.5%

At first the head looks promising. It fades to a small ring in a matter of seconds that leaves very little to no lacing. The beer is too clear for my tastes, clear and a dull brown with a little yellow around the edges.

When cold an aroma is difficult to detect. As it warms it becomes sweet as you would expect a bock to be. Sweet malts, ever so slight caramel whiff. Syrupy.

Again, when cold there isn't much flavor. Some malt but not much sweetness. And again, as it warms it definitely becomes sweet and a bit malty. The bit of bitterness is provided I think, by darker malts. A twang from what I think is over-carbonation is present.

I'd seen signs and bottles and packs of this all around since moving to Arkansas. I am very disappointed. The beer just doesn't have any redeeming qualities and seems to be a lacking, slightly sweet commercial lager.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler.

I will preface this review by saying calling this a Bock is like calling BMC lights a Pils.

Pours a light amber, nut brown with a small short lived head.

Aroma is of light roast malt, nutty with a touch of cane sugar and molasses.

Flavor is sweet roasted malt on the front. Malt is dextrose and caramel flavored. Very much broken butter in the middle. Dusty and a bit corny. The malt has some old quality to it, but it's hard to pull out. Finishes sweet and with little to no hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is thin and not very exciting, crisp enough for a macro.

I miss having this on tap back in the early 90's in Austin. We used to go to the Hole in the Wall and get it. Then to the Black Cat for PBR in a can and catch a show at Emo's. Sadly, this is not the beer I remember it being back then. It is thin and flavorless, a disappointment. I have been putting this review off for years, hoping that Spoetzl would return to the Shiner of yore, but alas.

2.35/5  rDev -25.6%

Clear bodied amber beer. Looks like a lighter version than most. Plenty of white fizzy head. Looks to be well carbonated. Aromas are slight bit of malt and not much else. The whole metallic thing is present along with a slight amount of caramel malt in there. Flavor fades to not much of anything. Light bodied and not a whole lot in the mouthfeel department either.

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

L: Pours an amber copper color with a medium sized and light off-white colored head that laces the glass a bit on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet malts, some bready aromas, not much else.
T: Tastes close to the nose, nice malts at the beginning and then some bready and biscuity flavors come through.
M: Smooth, light, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, not much on the flavors or heaviness so drinking a few of these would be no problem.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Central Market had 12 packs for $8.99 so I couldn't resist drinking a blast from my 20's past.

A: Deep amber brown, a little lighter than I would expect from a bock. Hardly any head and minimal lacing. Carbonation apparent. Very average looking brew.

S: Pretty faint nose, a little malty breadiness apparent but just not a heck of a lot there.

T & M: Pretty thin bodied and the mouthfeel is quite thin and somewhat watery as well. Taste has some metallic qualities as well as bready maltiness that I would expect from a bock. Finish has a slightly bitter crisp quality where the carbonation becomes apparent.

D: I try to support Texas breweries and Spoetzl but the Bock is probably my least favorite of their main offerings.

2.65/5  rDev -16.1%

I ordered this at the Library bar in Minneapolis while out with some friends. For $1.50 I figured it was worth a shot considering it was the only beer they had that I had never had before.

Served in a standard unmarked pint glass, this surprisingly transparent reddish brown colored beer was served cold with little to no head. What little head there was shrank quickly to a small ring and never came back. Lively carbonation.

The nose is very light, and only when consentrating can you pick out malts and light chocolate. Not to be rude, but the best way to describe this is a malty macro.

The taste is worse. Extremely watered down and flavorless, only a light (very light at that) malt flavor. I can only assume this is just a mass beer producers answer for people who are sick of the typical macros, because it wont scare them away, but it also isn't outside their comfort zone.

Mouthfeel is extremely light, and the carbonation has a sharp bite, something I have come to loath in beers. An odd smokey aftertaste is a turn off because I know this isn't a smoked beer.

Drinkability is by far this beers best quality. It's light and easy to drink, and in a pinch, might not be a bad session beer, if your into that kind of thing.

This beer deserves the rating it gets. It is nothing special, and honestly an awful representation of the style.

2.8/5  rDev -11.4%

On-tap at Penguin Ed's in Fayetteville, AR. Man, I was expecting something resembling a bock, but the closest this gets is maybe Michelob Amber Bock. There's a distinct, corny adjunct tang in the background with only light caramel roll malts. It wasn't bad for washing down my pulled pork and potato salad, but I won't waste my time or liver on this brew again. Not terribly offensive, I guess, but not worth trying either.

Pours a copper color with a holding 1/4 in white head.

Aroma is very slight, malt is really the only smell, bready.

Flavor is solid, smooth, crisp and balanced. biscuits, slight tanginess that is a nice balance to the smooth malt flavors.

Mouthfeel is nothing special, light

overall, drinkable beer, not great not bad. would go out of my way to get it.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%

A - Very thin reddish appearance. Typical for this style

S - A classic bock style with lots of dark fruit, a hint of something darker and more mysterious but not precise.

T - Actually the taste is pretty nice, slightly above average. The red and dark fruit core lingers with a slightly dry and faintly bitter aftertaste.

M - Somewhat light for a bock style.

D - The best aspect of the beer is the drinkability. Goes down smooth yet with a refreshing finish. Not like Bud Light; you can actually taste this one.

They have this beer virtually everywhere here in Houston, so if nothing else, it's better than the typical domestic swill (Bud, Bud LT)

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Quick review - uneventful. Might have broken Texas soil when it was new. It's not new anymore.

Color - a very transparent reddish brown. I can't get much of a head on it. What I do get leaves no lacing.

Smell - this beer smells like a bock. I smell malt and maybe some chocolate in there. No scent of hops, not that a bock should smell hoppy.

Taste - not much. I get something of a light malt with no sweetness. Maybe too balanced with bittering hops. This beer has a decent flavor that I would prefer a good bit sweeter/maltier.

Mouthfeel - medium. More mouthfeel than flavor.

You could easily session this beer. Unfortunately, I'll be constantly searching for something with more flavor.

2.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Second brew from my business trip to the Atlanta area was another big name Southern brew that I was looking forward to trying.

A: Decent mahogany body but no discernable head at all.

S: Watered-down, run-of-the-mill nutty caramel nose.

T: Lightly toasted malt with a light taste of caramel. Lightly spicy hops and even less apparent bitterness. Had a bit of a cola feel.

M: Light-bodied, but overly carbonated.

D: Pretty disappointing experience, I had a feeling it was going to be bad when I saw no head (it wasn't just the bar either as I got a Sweetwater with a perfect head). A pretty poor testemant to Shiner, my second bad brew from them after their Hefeweizen. Try at your own risk.

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: Dark amber color, semi-transparent with a one finger head.

Smell: Kind of sweet smell with some fruity aromas hidden within.

Taste: No fruity flavors present, as the smell would suggest. On the contrary, it's very bitter all the way through, but finishes smooth.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat thin for the style. Nothing special.

Drinkability: It's not bad. But it's not something I'm jacked about getting again.

From a bottle pours a fairly dark amber colour with a small white head that dissapated to a thin ring fairly quickly. Smells slightly sweet mostly of caramel and malt. Taste is on the light side almost watered down, but crisp and refreshing. This beer would be good on a hot summer day but nothing I would go out of my way to drink.

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Shiner Bock in the 100 year anniversary bottle. No freshness date that I could find. Nice label.

Upon pouring you get a white head that dissipates quickly, practically no lacing left on the glass as you drink it down. The color is a nice orange-brown when held up to the light.

Smell is good, almost all malt to my nose but tasty. Maybe something a tad metallic at the end?

Taste....maybe I'm a tad disappointed because the last time I had this I liked it better. You get some malt and something a little bitter and then...not a lot. However it goes very well with a meal in that you get some flavor with washing down the flavors of the dish.

Mouthfeel - nothing special. Well carbonated.

Drinkability - this beer in my opinion goes well with a meal or a snack, and maybe by itself on a hot day (although I think Shiner Kolsch, now discontinued, was king in that category) but I think alone it can't stand. It's very weak for a bock, but it's still a good beer. I like Shiner's line-up and the first time I had this long ago it was quickly one of my favorites. Now with time either my taste buds have changed and I'm moving onto new flavors or the brew has changed a tad. I'm thinking the former. Still, well worth having from time to time with a good meal where you don't want the beer drowning out the flavors of the food.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery