Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev +1%

I liked the light taste of this beer without it tasting like your avareage lager. It was smooth and refreshing while not being too sweet. Another beer that I wish that I could get here in Buffalo. It is a nice beer to have in the Fridge to offer friends that aren't adventurous when it comes to trying new beers.

cpn920, Apr 21, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -27%

Wanted to like this but to me it was just an OK beer like Yuengling.

Appearance: Looks interesting, like a beer should. Nice label.
Smell: Don't know the technical term, but it smells like cheap beer, uugghh
Taste: Weak, watery, slight malt/ sweet taste.
Mouthfeel: Non-existant.

Was this a good beer that was dumbed down. I hope so (actually hope not).

Flashy, Apr 21, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On special at a Tex-Mex place in Austin. The beer is dark brown with some amber overtones. There's not much in the way of smell, but what's there is the smell of dark malts, maybe some wheat. The flavor is slight, nowhere near as pronounced as that of bocks in Germany. I've described this to friends as "an American macro lager with food coloring in it." There's maybe a little more bitterness and malt flavor than Budweiser, but it's not incredibly complex or anything. Still, it has a nice, creamy mouthfeel and very good drinkability. It lacks the offensive aftertaste of the Shiner Hefeweizen. This would be an inexpensive bock I would keep in my fridge for spring consumption.

Mickelswit, Apr 19, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +19%

again, one of the first beers i ever tryed in the good ole united states, and living in texas at the time..it's basically everywhere..and when you find a good establishment with good turnover , it really can be good..."This beautiful brown brew with its sweet smell and delicious taste that is slighty bitter but sweet with a brilliant after taste that rivals other American beers of the same style!"

Onslow, Apr 16, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +1%

I was surprised to see this at my local corner bar about 2 weeks ago. I used to drink it while stationed in San Antonio. It's not a common beer here in PA. It was an accident at first, but now they carry it regularly. I just grabbed a six pack on the way home from work tonight.

Poured from a longneck bottle into a pint glass, it is crystal clear and dark amber in color. There's a full 2 fingers of parchment colored head that disapated rather quickly leaving a little lace and a few spots down the glass.

Not much of an aroma to speak of. Just smells like beer.

Taste is rich, full of roasted malt, a little metalic and slight hint of fruity/ester. Finishes pretty clean with just a passing thought of hops.

I had no problem downing 4 or 5 Shiners over the course of 2 hours at the bar last saturday. It's a good beer to drink with friends while thowing darts, shooting pool, or what have you. Almost everyone I've introduced it to has enjoyed it.

CowboyDarb, Mar 26, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

Surprised to find out I enjoyed this beer more in a bottle than on tap. Had trouble finishing the one I had with dinner. Appearence was dark amber with one finger of head which disappeared to quickly, almost no smell and flavor was not as good as the bottle I had the prior evening.

chuckm, Mar 23, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +27.9%

Poured into a pint glass, the bock appears somewhat lighter than others I've tried but still has a decent, medium-brown hue. The head is a little on the thin side, however the stout I've been drinking lately might have skewed my view. The aroma is probably the beer's best feature - warm and fruity with just a hint of spice. Flavor wise the beer comes up a little short; it has many of the subtle fruity characteristics of a bock, but it seems a little on the thin side. Overall, not a bad beer, and at the very reasonable price I'm sure I'll buy it again.

wolverinerocker, Mar 21, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -10.2%

Eye: Reddish brown in appearance and very clear. Head retention isn't all that great-recedes to a blanket over the top, and lacing is also lacking.

Nose: Strong sweet smell in this brew. At first I couldn't put a finger on what the sweet aroma reminded me of, then "alas!" it came to me. The strong sweet aroma reminds me somewhat of pecan pie. There are plenty of strong dark malt aromas as well as some caramel aroma in here.

Tongue: Seems to be somewhat lacking in flavor. I can taste a small amount of malt sweetness but it doesn't seem to be much more than that. Much more watered down than I expected. I'll come back to this one. Could be because I just washed my glass and used a fair amount of soap, but I don't think thats the case I rinsed it very well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Medium bodied in the mouth with a bit of wateriness, and in my opinion there is just a bit too much carbonation. Not tough beer to drink, but I think that there have to be much better ones out there that do a better job of summing up the style. We'll see how the rest of the sixer fares.

becktone, Mar 13, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

I picked up a six-pack of Shiner Bock to celebrate the coming of spring. Poured in to a pilsner glass.

Pours a mahogany brown color and is clear. A creamy eggshell white head forms and is moderately resilient, lacing the sides of the glass a bit.

The smell is strong and floral. There are perfume scents and a bit of a sweet dairy aroma.

The taste is OK. It has an odd sweetness, like milk or cream, that seems to be a characteristic of the style. There is a bit of a plain malt flavor, some cereal, and a very light hop finish.

Mouth feel is smooth and clean.

Drinkability is average. I'm not much on the style, or the taste. If you like a bock this is probably an OK choice.

RJLarse, Mar 11, 2007

From Safeway in Eureka, CA on sale at $6.29 a six-pack. This poured an amber to brown color with light tan head and almost no lacing. Nose was sweet malts. Mouthfeel average. Flavor very bland and finish non-descript. While this may be the best thing to come out of Texas it is not very impressive. This one is dead average for its type.

rkuhnel, Feb 27, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

Aroma: Slight DMS aroma up front (cooked corn). Light carmel notes and some grainy malt on the nose. DMS clears as the beer warms up. No hop aroma detectable.

Appearance: Crystal clear copper colored pour with golden edging. Streams of carbonation through the body. A white head that doesn't retain very long.

Flavor: Bready and grainy malt notes. No hop flavor but the bitterness balances out the grainy sweet notes. No off flavors detected. Slight carmel notes as the beer warms up. Finishes clean.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and lively carbonation. No astringency with a dry finish. No alcohol warmth but the biting carbonation definitely beats down some of the flavor.

Overall impression: A lightly malty, slightly grainy, well balanced beer. No off flavors and seems like a fresh sample. Not sure this is truly a "bock" other than the fact that it's probably a lager yeast strain. Tastes like a macro lager with some carmel flavoring. Still, it's highly sessionable and pretty good once the DMS clears out. Worth a try I suppose.

mattcrill, Feb 27, 2007
3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

Picked this up in Maryland a few months back, since I can't find this in my beloved Garden State. A few friends of mine from college loved this beer and said it went down easy. I'll give 'em that, but unfortunately, there wasn't much else to this besides that.

The pour was pretty unmemorable. Not a lot of head, no lacing, and the color was a standard nut brown. Malt, malt, and more malt can be found in the taste, from start to finish. It was watered down and I sense a slight amount of roasting up front, but nothing else that lingered long. I was hoping for some nut flavors or an earthy or grainy undertone to this, but they just couldn't be found.

I can't imagine anybody not liking this beer, as it has more to offer than any BMC product would. That being said, this would be a decent session beer for this time of the year, when the heavier stouts and winter brews start to give way to hefe's and belgian ales. This is a good transitional beer for that time period or something to enjoy for a relaxed night out, but not suited for much else.

JerzDevl2000, Feb 26, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +23.8%

This is the beer that I first experienced after becoming of legal age. Before that, it was always my dads Bud Light. Therefore, this review may be a little biased. Poured from a 12oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The beer poured a deep copper, forming a nice fluffy 1 inch head, leaving medium rings of lace on the glass. The aroma appears to be mostly of malt, maybe a little grain, and a slight bit of hops. The taste is light malts, and a hint of hops, with a light caramle aftertaste. Not a heavy beer, but still no shortness of flavor. Medium mouthfeel. Good carbonation, and a smooth finish. This is easily a beer to session. Whether sitting at home, or in a tube on the river, this is a great beer wherever you go.

beeragent, Feb 26, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a light brown/amber with a 1" head with little lacing. Aroma is fairly clean with malts and a light caramel. It has a decent taste with a mediocre mouthfeel. The flavor is clean with hints of the caramel/toffee taste while it stings slightly in the mouth -- too thin and carbonated.

Poser, Feb 07, 2007

Paid 6.69 for a 6-pack. Mahogany/cherry wood color, dark orange brown with hints of cherry red. Nice color. Not much head or lacing to speak of. Smell is light malt, honey, dust, some cherry fruit. No hops. Taste is weak. Watery, low malt presence, some metal, almost refined sugar taste. Slight fruitiness. That said, it finishes very clean and could be quite refreshing in summer. Mouthfeel is very fizzy with heavy open bubbles. Drinkability is higher due to the ease of drinking this beer.

benmiliron, Feb 07, 2007
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

Unlike Phatz, I had higher expectations due to hype. Yea, I got sucked in, so I simply had to buy a bottle from Suds and Six packs.
12 oz. bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Nice dark bronze color, but no head and absolutely no lacing. High carbonation bubbles. Thin and clear.

S: Weak malt, corn, metal. Not good.

T: Not horrible, but not near good. Sweet malt. Heavy metal. Not much going on. Better than Michelob Amber.

M: Thin and watery, with a carbonated sting.

D: Whatever...easy come, easy go. Not that bad, but nothing I would ever seek out. If I'm ever in Austin, and my choices are BMC ot this, I would be fine with this.

I was really let down by this beer. It is nowhere as good as Penn St. Nick bock. I know that is a really good beer to live up to, but it really fell short. It was better than Michelob Bock, though.

guinnessfan, Feb 06, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

on tap at the Freakin' Frog (Las Vegas,NV)

A- 1" thin milky white head with good retent, settles to ring, thin lacing, light copper in color

S- malty and fruity sweet

T- all malt sweetness, very fruity (cherries, apple, figs), with just a touch of bitterness and toasted malt in finish

M- light and thin, but not watery, smooth, nice carbonation

D- i had a hard time drinking this, if you can make it through the initial sweet rush, then you get a glance at some decent flavor. not my thing, but recommend for macro drinkers who fear darker beer.

tonistruth, Feb 04, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

This famous bock deserved a try but I did have low expectations. To my surprise, Shiner Bock was not as appalling as I expected. No surprise it lacked flare or excitement but a tolerable boring beer.

Appearance: Pours a clear bronze brown color with a small quick fading head and little notable lacing. It does have a constant flow of carbonation bubble rising through the body of the beer.

Smell: Bad. I did not like the smell. I was prepared for the worst when it got to the taste but it does taste better than it smells. It is a grainy corn husk aroma followed by the artificial sweetener and dextrinous malt attribute and some metallic character. Not really enjoyable.

Taste: The taste was a relief after smelling this thing. It was not terrible. It is a step up from Michelob Amber Bock if that is saying any thing, but does not even reach the level of flavor Saranac has. To put into perspective the mundaneness. It is a toasted grain flavor with a drop of caramel and a metallic prod to the back teeth (like when you bite a fork). Not offensive.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy an thin in the mouth. Extremely light body.

Drinkability: The beer it not all that tasty but it is not offensive either. It is light. Once you get used to the metallic attribute it actually becomes quite drinkable. Though I won't buy it again while I have other options.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jan 29, 2007
2.5/5  rDev -20.6%

This beer was totally non-impressive. Poured very thin, to a pale amber color, with little head or lacing. I could not detect any aroma, and the taste, whatever was there, was not evident due to the watery texture and stale finish. I’d heard this was a good beer...obviously I was listening to the wrong people.

kimcgolf, Jan 27, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -19.7%

Most Austinites love Shiner Bock...I do not.

But you just can't help but drink it down here unless you are obsessed about avoiding it. The problem is, it's as "exotic" as many restaurants get down here with beer...and if you want a beer with your food...and you don't want a Budweiser...then you're left with Shiner Bock as you're only alternative to water or Bud-Lite (another term for water).

So Shiner is light brown in color, has virtually no sustained head, and little aroma (though it creates quite a stench rotting outside the many fraternities near the University). Not much of a mouthfeel because of the weak taste.

This was a beer created to be something "exotic" in during an era of ignorance in Texas. But times have changed and I believe the only reason it's still popular is the same reason Bush was re-elected and Texas votes Republican. But I take no responsibility for that.

I'll drink it again...I live in Texas...and let's face it, it's just an average beer...it won't kill you.

BeerBard, Jan 26, 2007
2.17/5  rDev -31.1%

Pours a dark caramel with a 1/4" head that sticks around and clings lightly to the sides. Lots of carbonation in the body. Dark malt aromas try to push through but are shoved out of the way by the graininess. Not a whole lot on the palate, just sweetness, faint dark malts, and grain. Mouthfeel is full of sugars and with each sip, the beer turns to bubbles in my mouth. Not very drinkable.

I'm not one to knock on cans (I really like Warbird and Dale's Pale Ale), but out of the can, Shiner Bock is raunchy. Better in the bottle or on tap. I'd like to chalk this up to having had a really old can.

goochpunch, Jan 17, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From the 12 oz bottle with no freshness date, into the pint glass. Pours a clear, red-brown, more ruby than brown color with a few bubbles. Basically no head, just a wisp of foam that vanishes leaving a thin ring and no lace. Nose is bready and malty. Taste is malty with a light hops balance, very subdued bitter finish. Overall, it’s malty sweet and ale like, pretty good mild malt/molasses character. Mouth is pretty bubbly on the tongue and is somewhat substantial; it’s not watery or thin. Drinkability is pretty good; it’s an easygoing, easily sessionable beer that looks a lot cooler at the bar than a macro.

Overall: A good drinking beer, especially if you enjoy moderately malty brew.

jettjon, Jan 15, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -33.3%

Ordered on tap. Looked ok a deep mahogony in the club. Not much going on in the way of smell. Mouthfeel was carbonated like soda to me and the bitter tastes and sweet tastes were not blended, adjunct taste. I love Bocks and Dubblebocks, great quaffing beers for me and remind me of my tour in Germany, this one I just couldn't finish. This brewerys offering just aren't to my taste though it seems to be a solid seller.

srrn, Jan 01, 2007
3.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Rich, red-amber body with a thick white head.

Smell is sourish malt.

Flavor is sweet malt, smooth on the palate, sour on the finish. Almost no hop presence. Very far on the light end for a bock, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is on the watery end of medium, high carbonation.

Drinkability is pretty good.

This beer is worshiped by many in TX. I have to say, it's not bad when compared to Coors Light, Bud Light, etc. Plenty of color and flavor compared to those usual macro suspects. As an aspiring craft-ish brew, it leaves a lot to be desired. I did enjoy this one, though. Thanks to cburian for "importing" this one so I could sample and review it.

ghostwalker, Dec 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +15.2%

A clerk at the liquor store once put my three selected six packs in a discarded Shiner Bock box (say that three times quickly) and sent me on my way. I had never tried it. And then one evening last week my wife and I were out with friends and here comes the beer list. Shiner Bock on tap. So I tried it.

Came without much of a head, but the color was nice, dark brown (like rich chocolate milk) and just a bit of carbonation. I was surprised that there wasn't much smell to speak of, though the malt did come through in the nose a bit. A bit thin in the mouth, the flavor was surprisingly rich. Lightly roasted malt (a bit less "roast" flavor than I expected, given the color) and a delicate balance of hops to refresh. I enjoyed it. I was driving and that's all I could do; but others in our party had second glasses. It's easily a beer you could enjoy all night.

tugdriver7, Dec 16, 2006