Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
2.8/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a tall shaker pint. thin soapy looking head that quickly recedes. Color is a clear mahogany with a lot of carbonation activity. Sort of looks like a Coke.

Smell has a slightly burnt grain aroma. Hints of grassy hops are barely noticable. A little bit skunky. Taste is also quite grainy with a little bit of caramel malts present.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Just not very interesting. So far, I have yet to have a really good beer from Texas.

bort11, Apr 30, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -6.3%

A - Reddish brown with a little tan head that shows nice retention.

S - Caramel and brown sugar are there, but only just. This doesn't really smell powerful, but that's the idea.

T - Much like it smells, this one is very mild and unassertive. The flavors are tasty and caramel/toffee based, but this would be better if those flavors were amplified a bit. Iced tea comes to mind.

M - Light in body and in carbonation, this is really smooth. The flavors are sort of easy going, and so is the neutral finish.

D - Not half bad. Gentle and unassuming. Very quenching.

pmcadamis, Apr 27, 2008
3.48/5  rDev +10.5%

My favorite brew from the Spoetzl Brewery is a staple here in San Antonio.

I sampled this on tap at a local Hooters during a Spurs game.

When it arrived at my table in a frosted mug, the first thing I noticed was the extremely dark color of this beer. It also had a nice 1 finger head that was very creamy and stuck around like nobody's business. Lacing was also very pronounced.

The smell is kind of perplexing. It smells of musty, stale malt. If I graded this on smell alone, it would fail.

The taste was very nice, however. Caramel malts, some hops and a little alcohol. This was like a party on my palate (or maybe it was just the spurs crowd?)

The mouthfeel was thin, and the finish was dry and bitter. I like that.

Drinkability is very high. I could drink a ton of these if given the chance.

This is a nice offering from Shiner.

1099, Apr 26, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -19%

Had this at the Blues City Cafe on Beale street, in Memphis, before killing my pallet with BBQ ribs.

A: From bottle, light copper, off white head.

S: Not much here. Some caramel.

T: Not much here either. Light malt, a bit sweet. No complexity like other bocks.

M: Clean, decent carbonation.

D: Easy to drink, maybe a step up from a macro-lager. Was hoping for more from a bock, but, the 2nd & 3rd went down great with BBQ ribs.

KI9A, Apr 20, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -45.1%

I find this weak, boring and not even satisfying in the way cheap pale lagers often can be. It's as if it is intended to fill the roles of both a stronger, darker beer like a bock, as labelled, and a light pale lager-type, yet it miserably fails to do either.

Light brown, it's possessed of a small, bubbly off-white head that soon disappears entirely.

The aroma is a bit odd, old bread, candy, mild caramel, honey.

The taste is musty and sweet, with only hints of stale bread, candy, and soap. It's basically sweet with only the faintest trace of bitterness in the finish. It's thin, fizzy, and watery.

I have revisited this in OCt.2012 and found it, if anything, even more unimpressive than before. I have tried some new Shiner beers and revisited ones from before in the recent weeks and, as before, find that Shiner/Spoetzl produces some good beer but that, ironically, this "flagship" beer of theirs is possibly their worst beer. I have downgraded the taste score from 2 to 1.5 - it is simply almost utterly tasteless with only a very fleeting hint of flavour that vanishes abruptly to dry nothingness. It does not taste bad; it simply has almost no character at all. I compare this to their Hefeweizen, which is great, and their Kosmos Reserve lager, which is really good.

Offa, Apr 19, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a crystal clear reddish-brown color with no head at all.
Very grainy smell t it, with a slight smell of hops.
Very malty taste, hop bite at the end.
Almost too sharp on the mouthfeel, very carbonated.
Drinkability is good, but wouldn't really want to drink a lot of these.

BDIMike, Apr 16, 2008
3.15/5  rDev 0%

This beer is extremely mediocre, although I feel like that's probably pretty well known on this site. You're probably all coming around here, reviewing it for the same reason I am - you stumbled on it. Amber color with a weak head and no lacing. Nose is mild, mostly malt and grain. Taste is likewise, maybe some other adjuncts in there as well. Feel is too thin, but not terrible. Overall, I had it not expecting much, and got what I expected.

soupyman10, Apr 14, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +9.5%

was down on vacation in Texas and figured I'd try the locals, so here goes

A- Golden brown. sort of clear

S- faint sweet

T- Tastes pretty decent. not very bock like but surprisingly good.

M- clean and easy

D- could take a whole case of these back with me. easy go to favorite from shiner (so far)

tab021, Apr 12, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Very clear, reddish brown color with an aggressive head. A tan khaki head that almost spills over the side of the glass.

It smells like a very processed synthetic grain and that is about all. No discernible hops or much of anything else.

Taste is very surprising. I was expecting to be drinking a "drain dumper" but its actually not bad. There is a nice toasted malt flavor with a slight metallic aftertaste. Slightly coppery in character with a nice sweetness that I didn't see coming. The only downfall is that its a one trick pony, there isn't anything else to this brew to keep it interesting.

Mouthfeel is only average. There isn't much carbonation and its tastes kind of watered down and slightly synthetic. This blah-ness makes it a less drinkable beer in my book. I am initially intrigued by it only to be disappointed by the whole package.

jbphoto88, Apr 10, 2008
3.93/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was always a favorite and it is what actually got me started drinking different beers than the macros brews.

I was drinking this stuff back in the early 90's when you could only get it in texas. It was quite different than your bud or miller lite.

It pours a nice dark copper color and I will admit the keg taste better than the bottle. I am reviewing the draft because it has close to the same nose , but there is some spicyness to it from the keg. Somewhat of a bite. Its really good. For being "a darker beer" it goes done really well on a hot day.

BgThang, Apr 09, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +22.2%

Shiner is a unique bock in that is has low alcohol content and not much deep flavor. Still gets you feeling good if you drink a few or mix with a stronger bock.

A- Copper-brown. semi-transparent and not viscous-looking at all.

S- Smells faintly of sweet malts and caramel

T- Tastes like a sweet roll to me. Not complex like most bocks.

M- Feels clean with a sticky quality

D- Easy to drink too many and still feel great

EnojysAnyBeer, Apr 09, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -9.5%

A - very clear reddish brown brew with racing carbonation bubbles and no head at all

S - dull grainy smell, mild hop aromas that expanded after a few minutes of carbonation bubbles shoving them out

T - starts out with a solid malt flavor that weakens out before a sharp hop finish

M - carbonation just a bit too much...distracting

D - OK to drink, nothing really stood out other than the carbonation, not my bag

SaltyLime, Apr 05, 2008
3.35/5  rDev +6.3%

This beer got me through school in Austin, and I have fond memories and vague recollections of enjoying pint after pint, pitcher after pitcher.

I wanted to do a proper tasting, so I opened a bottle from my cheap regional beer cache last night. It poured a nice seal brown, with little foam and a nice roasted aroma. Roasted malt is the strongest taste, with a bit of bittering hops. The mouthfeel isn't the best, but the flavor compensates.

Compared to other macrobrews on tap in Texas, Shiner Bock takes the cake. (Of course, in the summer it's time for Shiner Hefeweizen.) Compared to other bocks, however, it lacks the depth to make the top tier.

drinksandeats, Apr 03, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -28.6%

Pours a very clear, weak brown/copper color with almost no head and no lacing. There is really no scent, beyond an extremely slight maltiness. Taste is also weak, with a bit of maltiness, but that's about it. It does go down fairly smooth, but that's it's best attribute. It has almost no bock attributes at all.

JamesS, Mar 26, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -38.7%

Served overly chilled in "frosty" mug. Dark brown with almost no head; possible due to the near freezing condition.

Smell mostly of sour apples and a bit of brown sugar.

The taste is pretty nasty. Very sour with a bit of dark sugar-caramel flavor. No discernable hop taste or bitterness. Aftertaste is sort of sour vinegar.

Really thin, watery body. Nothing to make you think of German beers. I could finish the mug but would not order another.

This "bock" is nothing like the real thing. Sort of like a PBR with caramel coloring. Actually gives bock a bad name.

joedon, Mar 25, 2008

On my 24 oz bottle there is a freshness date, stamped faintly below where the word "Shiner" protrudes from the glass. 11-15-07.

Even with an vigorous pour, the head fades quickly to nothing. Looks a lot like a coke, but the bubbles rising through the clear, soda-colored body are smaller.

Smells kind of like a coke, too. Sweet above all else with a vegetable note most similar to cabbage.

At the risk of being repetitive, tastes like a 50-50 mix between bud light and a diet coke. Sweet and cabbage-y throughout, with some faint clove phenols toward the finish.

Very thin, feels coke-like on the mouthfeel too.

Quite unimpressive across the board, not offensive but not very beer like. I would definitely drink this vs. BMC and think it would make a great kegger beer, but decidedly weak within the style.

semihobo, Mar 21, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +28.6%

This is one of my favorites,dark in color small nice head. Very nice sort of fruity hop smell. Taste is very Refreshing to me and calls for more then one! Nice smooth feel in your mouth no after taste. Easy to drink and enjoy it, a very mild favorful Bock with out any harshness. And at a nice price too.

Schmidts, Mar 14, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance: Deep amber brew. Frothy off-white head with good carbonation movement.

Smell: Decent malt presence with a touch of toffee.

Taste: Light and refreshing with a bit of malt character. I did not expect this in a bock, but it was not bad.

Mouthfeel: Light for what it is trying to represent

Drinkablity: Good flavor in such a light bodied brew.

SargeC, Mar 12, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness label or date.

A: Pours appealing clear amber color with thin 1/2 inch head with no head or lace retention.

S: Mostly husk and grain aromas with slight sour hops odor.

T: Very light with dextrin malt flavor evident only after some warming. Minimal to no hops contribution until the dry finish.

M: Thin and overly carbonated but light aftertaste.

D: Easy enough to drink, but many better beers are around, and this is far from a bock. I think I actually prefer Michelob Amber Bock to this.

argock, Mar 05, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -29.2%

A- Pours out a crystal clear mahogany brown. Just a thin film of head and no lacing to speak of.

S- Smells of buttery cornbread, and slightly musty hops.

T- The balance between sweetness and bitterness is nice, but the flavors of this beer are just bad. Corn, sulfer, and mustiness.

M- Not light, but not particularly smooth, and the carbonation doesn't add much.

D- I had high expectations from this beer, since I didn't know anything about it or it's brewery, but I was sadly dissapointed by a beer that doesn't taste much better from your typical macro.

zdk9, Mar 03, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -37.1%

Here's a macro-craft offering you can find around at many bars and stores. Says bock on the label, though in south Texas where this beer hails from, I'm guessing I'll get something lighter than I expect. On to the beer:

Twist-off the top, pour into a shaker pint, and get a clearish dark color with the head going away. It kind of looks like they added coloring to a macro pale lager. The smell is extrmely clean with a trace of...I can't make it out it's so faint. Tortillas? Now I'm worried.

I'm scared, but I'm going to put this in my mouth. Here goes...wow....I'm sharting to think they throw corn tortillas in the fermenter to get the dominant flavor. Dominant corn in a dark lager? Um, no. Just as you taste it, it fades away. Malts are thin, powdery, create a very light toffee flavor, and the hops are thinner to the palate. Light bodied it is, but which is boosted by a drive of carbonation.

If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was drinking a macro with a dash of dark malt. Too light to be considered a real bock and just enough weird flavor to steer you away if tasteless refreshment is on your mind; it's a lose-lose proposition.

DoubleJ, Mar 01, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -22.2%

A - Pours reddish copper with a decent head but no lace.

S - Average malts with a hint of citrus and nuts, seemed a bit lackluster.

T - Semi-sweet bock with a weak malt flavor and not so impressive hops, the flavor seem to disappear quickly after it went down, no aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied, a bit on the light side with low carbonation, nothing special.

D - Does down easy, just wish there was more flavor.

trackstar1043, Feb 27, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -27.6%

I travel to Texas fairly regularly and this beer is offered as a token non-BMC beer almost everywhere in the Lone Star State.
I've been very diappointed with Shiner Bock on tap - it invariably comes flat and with little or no head and is always very disappointing flavour wise.

I decided to try a large bottle which I found in the cooler of an H.E.B. supermarket for $1.99, which seemed like a good price.
The beer poured well, surprisingly it had a good head - but it didn't last too long.
However the taste is still MIA. Are hops and malt so hard to get in Texas ?

I'd put this in the same category as Killian's red - It looks OK but "where's the beef ?"
On reflection I think you get what you pay for and $ 1.99 was an OK price, although they have the balls to charge premium price for this stuff in a lot of bars.

ElGeordie, Feb 27, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -7.9%

a - dark orange color with a 1 finger white head. The head disappears quickly which is sort of disappointing but the color of this beer is very appetizing.

s - not too much, a little grains and some mildly sour hops

t - i taste some malt and a faint hint of hops. The hops arn't too pleasent to me as the smell would have suggested. This is very watery. It has a decent taste for what it is, but the watery flavor hurts it.

m - very thin, light carbonation

d - it's an easy beer to drink that is refreshing. It's nothing special flavor-wise that I would go out of my way to drink. I find I enjoy certain foods with lighter beers, and this fits the bill better than most of the big guys.

thirtysixbelow, Feb 27, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured a deep golden amber with no activity. It had a very small off white head that quickly disappeared.

A robust scent of earthy grains mixed with a slight tang of clovy hops.

A complex taste of wheat, corn and tarty pine (perhaps the hops pushing through the corn). The beverage is medium to full yet goes down light and doesn't make me feel full.

It is a good beer. I enjoy the flavor and the smell greatly. I am a bit disappointed with the appearance. I will have to revisit this beverage in the future to ensure that I did not just have a bad bottle.

Rennpferd, Feb 25, 2008