Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,464 | Reviews: 1,036
2.63/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours a small off-white head. Color is a burnt orange copper. Good head retention.

Aroma: Caramel and bready malts. Biscuit flavors. Fairly malty. A bit of toffee as well.

Taste: Has a grassy hop profile. Caramel, bready, and biscuit malts. A bit of toffee again. Has some dried fruit flavors as well. Maybe some bananas.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and creamy. Light to medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends very dry.

Overall, this wasn't a favorite bock of mine. Mouthfeel is way off. I like German bocks much better. Not really for me. A bit too simple.

2.48/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours an amberish copper color with a thick white head that goes away very quickly and leaves only a little tiny bit of lacing. Smells of some roasted malt and not much else. Tastes much the same like a little sweetness from the malts and a little hop bitterness to round it out. Mouthfeel is a little watery and drinkability is okay. Not a very strong rendition of style here. Too much lack of flavor.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Nice looking copperish amber, off white/almost tan head that settled down into a tiny ring that also went away after a few minutes. No lacing at all. Overall, this one is pretty but not very good.

S: Smells like a standard American Adjunct, corn, a little malt sweetness, a faint floral hop. If I wanted an aroma like this, I would buy a Budweiser.

T: Sweet caramel malt, a little bit of a corn flavor, and that is about it. Tastes like an AAL if it had caramel malt instead of 2 Row. Not horrible, I have had worse.

M: Slick, and that is about it. Carbonation is lacking.

D: The only good thing about this beer, IMO. This would be a great intro to craft, as it has a slightly similar flavor to most of the AAL's I have had, but with the addition of a caramel sweetness. Not offensive, so easy to put back in quantity.

This beer is a disappointment compared to most of the beer I have had flavor wise, but I can understand why people like this beer, it is very easy to drink for anyone who is stuck on adjunct lagers and has enough substance to keep all but the most picky snobs interested.

If you drink for flavor, aroma, and overall experience, move on elsewhere. If you are just looking for something cheap that most BMC drinkers will not object at, this one is not a bad choice.

3.58/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nose has some cooked veggie and corn on it. It isn't very strong really but it's nothing special.

Taste has a mild malt sweetness on it with a definite presence of corn adjuncts. Like a standard adjunct lager with a little more body and sweetness. A little toasted grain shows on the finish with a somewhat light smattering of hops.
Drinkable, if not a little bland. There are certainly better bocks out there, but if one wants a very quaffable, inoffensive session brew, this will work.

2.42/5  rDev -23.4%

Served in a pilsner glass.

Pours a light mahogany color with a good mount of reddish tint to it. Initial three-finger head looks quite nice but dies down really quickly into a slight layer of foam along with a dot of lacing here and there but really not much. The nose is some slightly-roasted malt as well as a bit of toast. Some light nutty character plus a fair amount of caramel. There are some slight earthy notes there as well.

The taste is a bit oxidized with a bit of cardboard. Some toast in there with caramel, plus a light earth feel. It tastes like I imagine wet leaves would. Wow. The nose was decent enough but this taste is really not very good at all. There's an off-bitterness in the feel as well. Thin and gross. The appearance and nose weren't too shabby, but it just goes way, way downhill after that.

2.5/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A=Amber with a hint of gray; although a nice head, the coloring almost looks artificial.

S=Very faint, thankfully...reminds me of the smell of a bar on Sunday morning.

T=The first taste was bitter and skunky; I grew accustomed to the taste, but still felt it to be rather watered down.

M=Watery...I've had lagers with more substance than this; this is much more watery than the Huber Bock's I drank in college.

D=I had a hard time finishing this one, as it has an off, watered down taste.

There are many, many more beers that I'd choose over this one.

3.12/5  rDev -1.3%

Bock? Really? I would not consider this a bock, but perhaps a dark lager. The appearance is too clear and light to be a bock and there is no head retention. The smell is weak and tends toward malty toast and molasses. It's doesn't taste sweet enough to be a bock despite the malty bread notes and it is certainly too watery to be a bock. The upside is that it is certainly easy to drink. This is more reminiscent of Negro Modelo than of any bock I've ever had. Don't let the goat on the label fool you, this is about as far away from a German bock as you can get.

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%

Shiner is one of those beers that common people love to love. They believe it's higher class than a typical Bud/Coors/etc but really, it's not so great.

The appearance is about all it has going for it. It's a deep, clear, saturated brown.

The smell is lacking. Have you ever smelled stale water?

The taste is bearable, but seems burnt. There's almost a slight caramel hint, which would be okay. I didn't taste it when I sipped and looked for it again.

The mouthfeel also leaves something to be desired. It's far too light and water-like. It also has a cheap fizzle that comes out of nowhere and clashes with the thickness.

Overall, it's yate.

3.19/5  rDev +0.9%

The appearance is by far my favorite aspect of this beer. A beautiful dark copper tone, with perfect head in my opinion. You can see the tiny bubbles that make up the foam, it just doesn't stick around as long as I'd like.

Taste wise, it's tastes like beer. I know that sounds silly, but I believe that bock is what beer is supposed to taste like. No frilly stuff, no floral stuff, just a barky malt and hops.

Side note, when I was growing up I had a Shiner Bock tshirt that said "Brewed with an Attitude." It was pretty sweet, I wish I still had it.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a medium brown with a thin beige head. The aroma is grainy, nutty, and lightly sweet. The flavor is surprisingly (overly) sweet, though, with quite a bit of light caramel malt flavors, but also a bit of dry graininess and even a kind of metallic undertone. The texture is a bit thin, but that is in line with the flavors.

Overall, I was surprised with how thin and flat the flavors seemed compared to my memory of sitting in the outdoor patio of a bar in Columbia, SC, mingling with friends the night before a buddy's wedding, and clearing out the bar's stock of Shiner Bock. It is certainly better than a common adjunct lager, but it just doesn't measure up against other options in the style.

2.97/5  rDev -6%

Picked up a 6 pack of this the other day, i had beer once before but it was at a bar a couple years ago so I don't really remember what it was like. Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer poured a brownish amber with a fingers worth of head that disappeared quickly.

S- Not a lot going on here, just the faint aroma of malts and hops, a little sweeter than i expected.

T- Mainly malts with caramel malts sticking out the most. The sweetness carries through from the nose. There's a slight presence of hops on the finish.

M- Thin, crisp, and moderately carbonated.

D- This isn't a bold flavorful beer so it makes it quite drinkable. I would probably drink two or three of these if nothing better was around.

Overall i thought this was a pretty mediocre beer, I expect something a little more bolder and less watered down from a bock. Won't be picking this up again.

3.18/5  rDev +0.6%

picked up a six pack of shiner today
poured from the bottle into a beer mug
appearance redish brown color with a cream colored head
smell : faint note of hops and a mild nutty notes
taste faint toasted malts
mouthfeel light body
drinkablity goes down pretty well

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%

I was a bit surprised to see such a low rating for Shiner Bock. Perhaps it's because I first tasted this beer on a hot summer day in Austin, Texas and the drafts tasted extremely good.

But, I recently came across Bock in the most random of all places, Rehoboth Beach DE while I was in town for a wedding (I live in the NYC area).

I enjoy this beer. A nice, rich, medium-dark beer that is very drinkable. Good flavors and smooth aftertaste.

And in Texas, it's usually $1 a draft. Can't beat it.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful dark amber with a small white head. Too bad the head was extremely short-lived. Smells is nutty and toasty. The taste is very light. There are hints of hazelnut and toasted malt, as well as a hop tang. Unfortunately, I also taste some graininess which isn't necessarily bad, but it's definitely a taste I associate with "cheap." Highly quaffable and refreshing, but I certainly wasn't blown away.

Poured from 12oz bottle into my favorite beer drinking glass -

Poured a nice Amber dark red color with little lace and two finger head lots of bubbles.

Smell was light w/hints of malt

Taste - Very light tasting with hints of hops and malts .

Very drinkable beer - these go down easy

3.68/5  rDev +16.5%

I tried this beer at a Texas BBQ joint. They served it to me in an ice cold mug so I don't know how much that will be affecting the taste. I have no idea about its freshness.

The beer poured a clear, dark amber color that made a 1 finger white head that had great retention. It didn't leave much lacing, but it was a nice looking bock.

Big caramel and roasted malt smell, but that was it. Just malt and nothing else.

This is pretty much a one dimensional beer. The caramel and roasted malt flavor is there, but it was milder than I was expecting from the smell. At just 13 IBU's there isn't much of a hop presence and at just 4.4% alcohol there isn't much alcohol flavor either. If you like a sweet malty brew then this is for you. Nothing in it to dislike, but not anything exciting either.

The body is somewhere between light and medium with medium carbonation.

I've had tastier bocks before, but this one is an easy drinker and not hard to down at all.

3.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a small mug. The label has a brief description of the beer but no ABV or freshness date.

Appearance: From the pour I got a nice amber colored beer with good clarity and an average two finger just off white head. The head fades to a wispy thin layer but a quick swirl will keep a small cap of foam on top. Lacing is very slick and minimal.

Smell: The aroma is mildly sweet with some light hints of caramel and toasted malt back by grainy and light bready maltiness. Hop presence here is very light and sort of earthy/leafy.

Taste/Palate: Just as the nose would suggest there is a mild sweetness from the light caramel and bready maltiness. A touch of raw grain or husk is also noted in the mix. Hops mix in here too and add a light balance of earthy hop bitterness. Its easy medium body and level carbonation is a bit light for a Bock but very easy to drink.

Notes: I drank more than a few of these the last time I was down in Texas. This is an easy drinking beer in the summer heat and it pairs very well with Texas BBQ.

2.45/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. About one finger of head and 0 lacing. While the look of the beer was what I expected, the initial smell was fairly absent. Overall not impressed by the taste, seems watered down and fairly boring. fair amount of carbonation, which I usually enjoy, but it just does not fair well with the taste of this beer. Might go good with a spicy meal, but otherwise you wont find me buying this anytime soon. Maybe I need to try it on tap, as I can say I always enjoy beer more that way. There are much better choices out there.

2.34/5  rDev -25.9%

Served in a pint glass

Beer #2 for me in swill fest

This pours a nice amber red. The white foam that has long been discarded. The smell is fairly vacant. What does come through is the corn syrupy rice-like aroma of an AAL not a Bock. The hops are soured if that is what I'm smelling. The taste is a caramel malt that fades away to taste like steel. The skunky "steel" taste tastes just like the movie starring Shaq. The malts are slightly burned and not really that pleasant. The mouthfeel is not bad it's well carbonated for it's medium body. I could see some people drinking this but not really me. I don't like this and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.

3.36/5  rDev +6.3%

Got this from my brother. Kept in the beer fridge for a couple of months.

The beer pours a nice brown amber body that cascades into gold highlights. Nice, creamy, light-brown head slowly recedes. The smell is big on chocolate notes and some bitter hops that are more dark chocolate than coffee. Airy like carbonation. Not much else. The taste is light and inoffensive. Slightly chocolate-sweet finish. I like the mouthfeel. Not too light and creamy, but not overloaded with carbonation. A beer I could probably drink all day if I had more.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a transparent dark amber brown, which is curious because in my beautiful Marietta Brewing Co growler the beer looked much darker. A creamy nougat head sits atop.

Smells of basic malts and hops; sweet.

Tastes like my six pack shop needs to invest in a bottle filler if recent oxidation tastes like the combination of watered down and under-carbonation. I'll try to remain objective and not let that get in the way of the specific judgment of the beer.

Still, not a lot going on with this brew. I've had it before in bottle, and I remember finding it awfully plain for a bock. To me, it's just like a heartier golden beer. A little in the hops category, a little in the malts. Soft on the palate. Not bad.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Transparent, brown in color. There is but a tiny head that leaves no lacing.

S: Malt, in the bock style. Subtle sweetness.

T: Decent. Nothing too exciting here. Malty and fairly thin. There is a very slight alcohol note that I find somewhat obtrusive, especially in such a low alcohol beer.

M: Thin and plain.

D: Unexciting. I have had many better bock beers. This tastes like an assembly line macro-brewed bock.

3.13/5  rDev -0.9%

I have drank this beer for years, but just now got around to reviewing it.

The beer pours a clear medium brown color with a white head. The aroma is grain with some toffee malt and grassy hops. The flavor is toffee and crass. I also get a little bit of something that resembles dark fruit, but it is subtle. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. A Texas classic, but nothing too impressive. It certainly doesn't stack up to the some of the other craft beers from Texas.

4.08/5  rDev +29.1%

Very drinkable, love the color nice amber to it. Great malt taste you can really learn to enjoy this beer. Only problem to me is there really isn't alot of kick in it, but taste deffinetly compensates. One of my favorite beers. A Texas Classic beer that never disapoints. If you haven't tried it you really got to get your hands on one. Two thumbs up!

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours clear, dark copper in color with a nice off-white head that disappears quickly without much of a trace (no lacing). Aroma is fairly faint - caramel, nutty notes. Same with taste. Malts are definitely in the foreground, but it seems watered down (especially, for a bock). Not much of an after-taste. Mouthfeel is pleasant and the beer is very drinkable.

Not the first time having this beer, and I very much enjoy drinking it. Mostly because it's completely associated in my mind with Texas. Yes, it's not an excellent bock, but it feels old-fashioned trademark of a certain place. Next time I'm in Texas I'll drink it again.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery