Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -16.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. No freshness label or date.

A: Pours appealing clear amber color with thin 1/2 inch head with no head or lace retention.

S: Mostly husk and grain aromas with slight sour hops odor.

T: Very light with dextrin malt flavor evident only after some warming. Minimal to no hops contribution until the dry finish.

M: Thin and overly carbonated but light aftertaste.

D: Easy enough to drink, but many better beers are around, and this is far from a bock. I think I actually prefer Michelob Amber Bock to this.

argock, Mar 05, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -29.2%

A- Pours out a crystal clear mahogany brown. Just a thin film of head and no lacing to speak of.

S- Smells of buttery cornbread, and slightly musty hops.

T- The balance between sweetness and bitterness is nice, but the flavors of this beer are just bad. Corn, sulfer, and mustiness.

M- Not light, but not particularly smooth, and the carbonation doesn't add much.

D- I had high expectations from this beer, since I didn't know anything about it or it's brewery, but I was sadly dissapointed by a beer that doesn't taste much better from your typical macro.

zdk9, Mar 03, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -37.1%

Here's a macro-craft offering you can find around at many bars and stores. Says bock on the label, though in south Texas where this beer hails from, I'm guessing I'll get something lighter than I expect. On to the beer:

Twist-off the top, pour into a shaker pint, and get a clearish dark color with the head going away. It kind of looks like they added coloring to a macro pale lager. The smell is extrmely clean with a trace of...I can't make it out it's so faint. Tortillas? Now I'm worried.

I'm scared, but I'm going to put this in my mouth. Here goes...wow....I'm sharting to think they throw corn tortillas in the fermenter to get the dominant flavor. Dominant corn in a dark lager? Um, no. Just as you taste it, it fades away. Malts are thin, powdery, create a very light toffee flavor, and the hops are thinner to the palate. Light bodied it is, but which is boosted by a drive of carbonation.

If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was drinking a macro with a dash of dark malt. Too light to be considered a real bock and just enough weird flavor to steer you away if tasteless refreshment is on your mind; it's a lose-lose proposition.

DoubleJ, Mar 01, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -22.2%

A - Pours reddish copper with a decent head but no lace.

S - Average malts with a hint of citrus and nuts, seemed a bit lackluster.

T - Semi-sweet bock with a weak malt flavor and not so impressive hops, the flavor seem to disappear quickly after it went down, no aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied, a bit on the light side with low carbonation, nothing special.

D - Does down easy, just wish there was more flavor.

trackstar1043, Feb 27, 2008
2.28/5  rDev -27.6%

I travel to Texas fairly regularly and this beer is offered as a token non-BMC beer almost everywhere in the Lone Star State.
I've been very diappointed with Shiner Bock on tap - it invariably comes flat and with little or no head and is always very disappointing flavour wise.

I decided to try a large bottle which I found in the cooler of an H.E.B. supermarket for $1.99, which seemed like a good price.
The beer poured well, surprisingly it had a good head - but it didn't last too long.
However the taste is still MIA. Are hops and malt so hard to get in Texas ?

I'd put this in the same category as Killian's red - It looks OK but "where's the beef ?"
On reflection I think you get what you pay for and $ 1.99 was an OK price, although they have the balls to charge premium price for this stuff in a lot of bars.

ElGeordie, Feb 27, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -7.9%

a - dark orange color with a 1 finger white head. The head disappears quickly which is sort of disappointing but the color of this beer is very appetizing.

s - not too much, a little grains and some mildly sour hops

t - i taste some malt and a faint hint of hops. The hops arn't too pleasent to me as the smell would have suggested. This is very watery. It has a decent taste for what it is, but the watery flavor hurts it.

m - very thin, light carbonation

d - it's an easy beer to drink that is refreshing. It's nothing special flavor-wise that I would go out of my way to drink. I find I enjoy certain foods with lighter beers, and this fits the bill better than most of the big guys.

thirtysixbelow, Feb 27, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured a deep golden amber with no activity. It had a very small off white head that quickly disappeared.

A robust scent of earthy grains mixed with a slight tang of clovy hops.

A complex taste of wheat, corn and tarty pine (perhaps the hops pushing through the corn). The beverage is medium to full yet goes down light and doesn't make me feel full.

It is a good beer. I enjoy the flavor and the smell greatly. I am a bit disappointed with the appearance. I will have to revisit this beverage in the future to ensure that I did not just have a bad bottle.

Rennpferd, Feb 25, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

I had this both on tap and in the bottle. It's pretty ubiquitous in Texas. The beer has zero, and I mean zero, head with no lacing. It looks tawny brown, sticky, and slightly watery. The smell was dextrin malt, cloying, not that enticing. The taste was quite metallic, malty, there is a not all that pleasant caramel taste perhaps a little diacetyl. The beer has little carbonation and is light bodied. I wouldn't have another.

albern, Feb 24, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear caramel amber with a fizzy off white head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is sweet metallic malts with some DMS.

The flavor is heavily sweet malts - caramel and toffee with a lilttle toastedness. The mouthfeel is medium and watery with a little sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's not bad tasting (much more flavor than I expected), but overbalanced on the sweet side. It's better than the macros.

Beaver13, Feb 21, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Amber.. no head

S: Some sweet malts but mostly thin and faint

T: thin. thin. thin. when you get flavor its not bad... but this is too diluted to be a regular in my fridge

M: Thin, light bodied, but carbonated

D: Goes down like water... wait was this water?

callmemickey, Feb 20, 2008
2.35/5  rDev -25.4%

Orange amber color, good clarity, weak head.

Toasty malt with honey apple crispness, mild sweetness. Plenty of carbonation, thin body. Faint metallic sensations.

This is just such a light diet coke-like beverage. Very little appreciable taste or aroma make it a purely thirst-quenching, drunk-getting kinda beer. Yeah, I'd choose the lovable Shiner over some of the other big name lagers, but AB's ZiegenBock is a better choice (albeit not my top choice :-).

MrHungryMonkey, Feb 20, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours fairly dark amber, light for a bock.

Smells a little dusty, but something else is there kind of okay... A sweetness.

Taste is more beer than bock. A little malty, a little hoppy. Unfortunately a little watery.

Body is thin.

Mouthfeel is coarse but bubbly

finish isn't bad, kind of bitter but there isn't that much of an aftertaste.

I would have another. It isn't offensive. I don't yearn for another, but if it is there, and I want a beer, and I don't mind wasting my carb/calorie intake on just anything this will be ok.

karengarys, Feb 20, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -9.5%

The beer arrived with a very thin white head that disappeared very quickly. There really wasn't much of a smell to speak of. The taste had little real flavor, with a touch of malt and a whisper of hops in the background. It had a soft drink like carbonation and mouthfeel, but it was reasonably drinkable. I probably wouldn't get it again.

cbleary, Feb 15, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -30.2%

Since I live in Texas almost every place has this beer and it is an adequate choice.

The beer is clear and a has a rather deep reddish brown color. There is virtually no head.

Slightly sweet smell with virtually no hops detectable.

This beer is a step up from alot of the major macro brewers but is still fairly weak. Slightly sweet taste, a slight undertone of hops (not enough for the style), and a bit watery.

Feels very watery in the mouth. Does not really improve as you drink it.

This beer is pretty drinkable though as it goes down easy especially if it is really cold.

Overall not bad but nothing really that memorable from how much this beer is talked up here. It is worth a try though.

I have had this on tap before and it is better out of the bottle. This beer though is fairly inconsistent. Every brew is very different.

EagleAg, Feb 15, 2008

This was poured from the bottle into a pilsner flute.

A - clear, ruby amber color with a small head that dissipates a bit too quickly

S - malty, but adjunct rice like, no hops perceptible

T - malt dominates with a slight hop finish

M - light to medium body, a bit too thin for a bock

D - incredibly disappointing bock - this is a very faint and pale comparison to it's European roots - it's 'drinkable' but barely - very bland in nature

scoobybrew, Feb 14, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

Shiner is kind of over rated in my mind. Im not sure what exactly this beer is trying to be. Im not really sure if the Spoetzl Brewery is considered a micro or not.

appearance is amber but kinda bland. Smell, not a whole lot a little caramel. taste not as watery as a macro but not a whole lot there. The drinkability is its high point, i it goes down easy on a warm texas day. I'd rather save a few bucks and have a budweiser on any occasion though, but i dont have a problem drinking an occasional shiner or two.

baseballrock, Feb 07, 2008

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a glass. One finger head disappeared rather quickly. Dark amber color with the faint sweet smell of malt. Overall taste was about average to me, no overpowering taste, a little bit of a bite to the finish. Quite honestly, i was expecting a little bit more to it. I think this is one of those beers which as a local beer is a little different and kind of a novelty which goes national. Its really more of a "mass market" type beer than a craft brew. If I'm Texas I am checking this place out and drinking some local brew but I wouldnt seek it out at my local beer distributor.

lionking, Feb 05, 2008
2.75/5  rDev -12.7%

Smells of malt, caramel mostly with perhaps a tiny hint of hops. Pours a dark brown, clearish color with a bit of head. Carbonated well, with a fairly subdued taste at first, then a sweet, smooth malt finish. Fairly light bodied overall, easy to drink.

JDV, Feb 02, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +7.3%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours an amber/brown color with about a half inch tan head. Head retention is low, lacing is OK. It smells like toasted malt and caramel. The aroma is light, but nice. Taste is similar to the aroma, although there's also a grainy taste too. As with the aroma, the taste is sweet and on the light side, but it's not bad at all. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, with average carbonation and a dry finish. Drinkability is decent, I could drink this as a session beer if there wasn't anything better available. Overall it's an OK beer. It's not great, but certainly not awful either.

bluejacket74, Feb 02, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +11.1%

this is a central texas classic, good quality beer, a lighter bock than most that I have had.

great color, I have had this beer many times and I can say it is one of the most consistant beers around.

not very bitter, can be a session beer on a warm day, not a hot day, a big difference in central texas.

Hollenbeck2, Jan 24, 2008
3.7/5  rDev +17.5%

Bottle. Friend bought to a party.

A - Pours a light brown, little creamy head, which dissipates rather quickly.

S - Aroma of lightly toasted hops, ginger, coriander, and clove.

T - Sweet, definite hints of ginger and coriander, with bread crust. Wet malt-like finish.

M - Despite the dissipation of head, still fairly carbonated on the tongue, with a moist pleasing finish.

D - Definitely easy drinking and decent on its own. While not a big fan, easy to see why it is mass produced now.

MisterClean, Jan 14, 2008
3.13/5  rDev -0.6%

Served from a bottle and drank at home in Ireland.

Pours a caramely brown with some red hints and a 1.5 finger white head that disappears pretty quick to a light ring around the glass.

Not too strong smells really-some nice light hints of malts and caramel though.

Relatively light beer composed of some caramel hints, sticky sweetness, and a bit of hops. No overwhelming dominating tastes.

Goes down pretty smooth as there isnt anything too strong in this beer. Definitely something that you could drink over and over if you really like it.

I dont think that I would really buy this one again as there are plenty of other great beers out there to try. Not exactly my favorite style of beer.

jspruit, Jan 10, 2008

Didn't enjoy this one at all. Way too much like the BMC stuff if you ask me.

Actually looked pretty good in the glass. Nice and dark with a pretty decent head.

Smelled kind of bready and biscuity, kinda like any macro available.

Nope, just don't do it for me. I tried this cause it was on special for $2.75 per pint. Drank half and threw the rest out.

I just didn't enjoy this one. There are some who will probably really like this beer. I'm just not one of them

Tilley4, Jan 08, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Boulevard Pint glass. Poured a ruby amber with a decent head that disappeared quickly and left no lacing. Aroma is sweet, toffee and caramel. Taste is sweet to start with a grainy finish. Mouthfeel is very thin with a active carbonation. A very easily sessionable beer.

hwwty4, Jan 05, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Clear amber orange with a modest head and minimal lacing. Aroma is very light kind of a toasty grain with a faint hop aroma. Taste is about like Michelob Amber Bock; not great and not bad. It is worth drinking in establishments that have great food but limited beer selections. Although around here those kinds of places also have something from Great Lakes and everything from GL is better than this.

CDBeerDisappear, Jan 03, 2008