2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner BockShiner Bock

poor

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,523 | Reviews: 924 | Show All Ratings:
tviz33

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchased at the Wegmans in State College, PA.

A- The body is a translucent medium brown with a small and short-lived gray/tan head.

S- Light but malty. Nutty and caramel on the nose.

T- Malty and subtly roasty. Very light and unoffensive.

M- Light and bubbly.

O- Quite comparable to Genesee Bock, if not a half notch below it. Easy to drink if you want to have multiples.

09-03-2013 04:45:15 | More by tviz33
gbarbee

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Light brown, lightly carbonated, light head, and alive.

Smell - Mildly smoky and malty with a slight earthy aroma.

Taste - Slightly bitter yet clean. Mildly malt flavor and excepted. No bad surprises and fits the bock style well as far a Texas made beer goes.

Mouthfeel - Light and clean, the beer feels nice on the palate.

Overall - My favorite beer for barbecuing, especially brisket. This beer is best served ice cold with ribs or Texas style barbecue.

09-03-2013 00:23:15 | More by gbarbee
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

Into a pilsener:

A: amber-brown colored body with a two finger white foamy head that dies within thirty seconds, spiderweb clingy lacing speckles the sides

S: nutty sweet maltiness and lots of it, overbearing to some - perhaps, to me - unsure

T: smooth sweet, nutty and bready aftertaste, smooth malty finish

M: light, sessionable, carbonation is good for the style and for me yet still leaves me a bit full

O: a decent bock that I think I can come back to

09-01-2013 22:27:01 | More by BeerKangaroo
jimmah120

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12oz bottle into a weird looking 8oz glass

look is darkish amber, no head, generally unimpressive: drink this one out of the bottle. smell is roasty toasty malt and skunky wheat. taste is toasted and nutty, smooth and inoffensive. feel is crisp, light, with a cloying sweetness.

overall, it's not bad. but it gave me heartburn.

08-28-2013 03:48:33 | More by jimmah120
Weston19

3.01/5  rDev -3.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass

A: Dark amber color, clear, very little carbonation, initial head is quickly reduced into an extremely thin lacing.

S: Caramel, some malt, and a unique smell that I can't get my nose on. Almost like stale mango; kind of hard to describe.

T: Initial taste has some sweetness to it and it disappears rather fast. There is a subtle taste of biscuit once you begin to swallow but you really have to look for it. There is no real aftertaste and once you finish taking a drink the flavors are non existent.

MF: Very smooth beer. Leaves no bitterness behind and no taste of alcohol. The finish is a little dry. Overall very watery.

O: I think this is a good beer to have when you want to have a session beer and don't want to settle for a BMC. It definitely has more flavor than the macro beers but they aren't very memorable. I suppose it's a good beer to give to a friend or relative who is looking into craft beers but is not ready for something like Stone, Laguanitas, or Sam Adams. For what it is, it's an okay beer.

08-13-2013 07:18:17 | More by Weston19
twinsdad1994

Kentucky

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I enjoy this beer. It is nothing fancy, has a slight sweet taste, just pour and drink. I like the color and the taste. Not the best in a darker beer, but also not the most expensive. Good to keep around the house.

This is my first review.

07-31-2013 16:22:27 | More by twinsdad1994
JoeyJetFan

3.26/5  rDev +4.5%

I had this beer straight from a 12oz bottle and also from a bottle poured into a beer mug.
The beer is a clear amber color with a beige head that eventually goes away but that's cool.
The aroma doesn't justify the smooth caramel malt taste that has just a touch of bitterness on the finish.
It goes down so smooth and easy and is a good session beer at a fair price.

07-25-2013 21:46:37 | More by JoeyJetFan
jdcook90

Connecticut

3.33/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The initial smell made me immediately think back to college and had me worried at first. Taste wise it was no where near as bad as that first sniff made me think it'd be. Reminds me a lot of a few Steam beers that I've had. Its nowhere near the best beer in the world, but its a lot better than drinking anything red white and blue. I could definitely session these. I bought a 6 of it on a business trip to east Texas where I don't actually think craft/micro beer exists (best stuff I've seen is Sam and Goose Island) and figured I'd give a locally brewed Texas beer a try. I'm pleased with it overall and would definitely buy it again.

07-25-2013 21:40:53 | More by jdcook90
KidKrafty

3.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12oz can served in a glass beer mug.

L - clear amber color with a white head that bubbled away in a few seconds.

S - light caramel malt aroma.

T - sweet and malty taste with just a hint of bitterness on the back end.

F - light/medium bodied with mild carbonation, it goes down smooth and easy.

O - a tasty American bock to drink while waiting for the release of Genny Bock.

Serving type: can

07-22-2013 00:26:21 | More by KidKrafty
Smokehole13

West Virginia

4.13/5  rDev +32.4%

This is one of my favorite beers! Need I say more? Oh but I will. I've had Shiner Bock on tap a couple of places and more often than not the tap hasn't been as good as the bottle. Shiner Bock obviously has a little more sugar than most beers and it has a slight sweet taste, but is still very refreshing. I took a backpacking trip into the mountains of West Virginia last weekend and hadn't had a beer in a couple of days. All I could think of on the hike out was the Shiner Bock in my cooler. It tasted like liquid joy, I thought my companion the black dog was going to take it off me and drink it himself. It's a bit darker in appearance than I once thought the perfect beer would be, but now that dark amber is my favorite color. The smell is light and appealing, not too aromatic, but with enough weight to make you anticipate what is to come. The taste, is slightly sweet with a hint of molasses and caramel, without being too sweet. Shiner Bock goes well with wings, ribs, crabs or anything a beer is supposed to go with. The feel in your mouth is light enough to want to drink several, but heavy enough to know you have. Overall, an superb surprise from right here in the USA.
I've got a couple good buddies who feel like I do. So you beer snobs can have your beer that no one can find, spell or stomach, I'll take a Shiner Bock and I'm not even from Texas.

07-16-2013 21:13:11 | More by Smokehole13
smt1

3.14/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

A: light brown/copper look

S: smell tends to be stronger than taste

T: not very hoppy which is typical of a bock

M: quaffable, slightly dry aftertaste, quaffable

O: Not my favorite shiner, but drinkable and refreshing, better than a lot of other common beers.

07-16-2013 17:52:16 | More by smt1
RoyTX

4.56/5  rDev +46.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Now, I have to level set for the rest of the 49 states that get Shiner weeks/months after it was made. I've toured the shiner brewery and can certainly attest to the affects of harsh storing and shipping condition on beer. I have had the flat, bitter, watery shiner bock that has been reviewed and I have also tasted the sweet "Texas tea" that is shiner bock, hours/days after the factory brewed it. Do not blame the brewery or the beer for the failings of time and mishandling of man. Firstly, shiner bock is no where near "hoppy" it is a sweet (as far as beers go) blend of yeast, malt, and hops. We sure do make bread with it down here. The deep caramel color is a clear indicator of taste. It is not intended to be be an overbearing weigh you down, alcoholic bock. It is refined for drinkability and sweet sipping (again think iced tea). It's certainly not a heavy headed brew that and does not pretend to be an exotic concoction of ingredients that blend together to make a disappointing off-putting flavor (Sam Adams Boston lager comes to mind). Take the traditional German respect for bier and an American sensibility for drinkability and crave for refreshing flavors and you have Shiner Bock. I can use apply all the adjectives and similes for the look but taste is he only thing that matters. I'd happily drink a shiner instead of a snobby craft beer placed on a pedestal that tastes like bathroom soap. If you notice the score I didn't say it was perfect due to the varying environments (consistency) I've tasted it in but it is good when it's good.

07-12-2013 22:49:18 | More by RoyTX
vette2006c5r

1.91/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Shiner Bock pours a blackish color with a small lacing head. There aroma malts and garbage. The taste is similar to eat a pile of cat litter, rather pitiful. Watery and weak flavors (prb a good thing). Overall nearly a drain pour, weak and horrible flavors, but at least it pours nice.

07-10-2013 03:55:50 | More by vette2006c5r
TEOTH

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

A - Dark amber, one finger of head
S - Minimal smell a hint of malt perhaps
T - Clean, easy drinking taste, a bit bitter
M - Fizzy, carbonated feel in the mouth
O - Drinks pretty easy, tastes better in a bottle cold versus a pint glass. Would not seek out in the store, but would drink it over a standard light beer at a social gathering absent other options

07-07-2013 17:33:54 | More by TEOTH
Kevin60

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance - Amber/Brown color. About an inch or so of frothy head.

Smell - Very weak smell, slight hint of maltiness at times.

Taste - Very smooth tasting, with a slight bite of bitterness at the end of the sip.

Mouthfeel - Crisp and smooth.

Overall - Although it lacks in aroma and has a mediocre appearance, the taste of the brew makes up for it. It is smooth with a slight hint of bitterness at the end of the drink. Not the best beer, but great upgrade from your standard brews.

07-07-2013 04:35:35 | More by Kevin60
Caj1

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a beer I went from liking to hating to liking again. Probably because I feel that it is overrated by the other Texans around me, I used to resent how ubiquitous it is in this state and how there are better beers, and better Texan beers, than this flagship. However, it serves a purpose and there are many worse beers to drink.

It pours a deep brown, almost like weakly brewed coffee, and creates a quick to dissipate bubbly head that leaves unremarkable lacing. The nose isn't much - a little bit of toast and diacetyl butterscotch and slight earthy hop notes. The flavor is sweet and malty but a little bit lacking; there's only a small hint of hops and truthfully it tastes like a middling dark lager. After swallowing the beer the flavor sweetens on the tongue and a satisfying bitterness takes hold. Mouthfeel is thin but quenching, and the foam preserves some body.

Overall this is a very average beer, but as far as average beers go, you could do a lot worse. In other words, Shiner isn't a bad choice for BYOB.

To good health and good beer.

07-02-2013 23:22:59 | More by Caj1
Cyrion

2.43/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. It was all I had that was clean.

Appearance: Light brown, iced-tea colored, with a quickly dissipating white head. The head was completely gone within 60 seconds.

Aroma: Sweet and fruity, but hard to pin down an individual fruit flavor.

Taste: Clean. A slight bitterness in the back of the mouth, but nothing objectionable. Is it malt? Is it hops? There's simply not enough of a presence to call it anything. Reminds me of an iced tea after the ice cubes have melted in the glass.

Mouthfeel: Very watery.

Overall: Frustrating beer, because it has little taste at all. Thirst-quenching? Yes. Enjoyable? Hardly.

06-16-2013 02:01:41 | More by Cyrion
dren74

Kentucky

2.98/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Has a really light taste, good.. but I was expecting a little more meat to it.
Looks great... Has a dark nutty tint not red but has a hint of color
pours good . I had a head around 1" and a half
after taste not bad at all. I will have this beer again.
looking forward to tying more Shiner Beers

06-15-2013 00:02:59 | More by dren74
joshg

4.01/5  rDev +28.5%

I think perhaps the most underrated beer when talking with others. I keep this around my house as a standby for when I want a good, solid beer without breaking the bank.

Heavy enough for my stout partial tastes but light enough it won't fill me up after a few.

06-11-2013 05:26:39 | More by joshg
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.54/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

12 oz bottle into a pint glass - because why not?

A: Pours a crystal-clear chestnut color. The head is barely off-white, and about one fingers high. Retention isn't great, nor does it leave much lacing on the glass. But it is a good-looking lager.

S: Uh oh. This smells like little more than an adjunct lager with a touch of caramel malt. There's way too much corn prevalent on the nose for this to be a good bock.

T: This is better...ish. Corn adjuncts aren't the dominant note here, though I still think they're a bit overpowering. Rather, they're melded together with decent caramel maltiness. On one hand, it's pretty far from great; on the other hand, it exceeded my expectations.

M: Clean and crisp. I think it's a touch too sweet to be superbly drinkable, though. However, I can foresee this being a good lawnmower beer.

O: Eh, I'd put it on par with Yuengling. The problem here, though, is that it's a craft beer that tastes like a macro, which is never good. Additional points taken off for giving me a bit of a headache.

06-02-2013 21:26:28 | More by ThisWangsChung
Beric

Indiana

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Serving: 12oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Pours clear with a white head that quickly dissipates- only a few extra splotches of bubbles hanging out on the top of the beer for the rest of the time. Nice color, seems light and inviting.

Smell: Your average 'beer' smell- nothing special, and mostly stereotypical.

Taste: Your average 'beer' taste. Honestly tastes a lot like a PBR. I know this says 'Bock' but I'm not sure what differentiates it taste wise from an adjunct. The light, unadulterated taste is refreshing.

Mouthfeel: I'm not a fan of the carbonation on this one at all. The bubbles feel too big in my mouth, and it feels very highly carbonated. A little less carbonation and it'd be much better. Feels to much like a beer flavored soda at times.

Overall: A good summer beer that is simple and refreshing. A good candidate for a session beer if you don't want to overload your palate with anything intense. A good beer for non-craft drinkers at a party or event to broaden people's horizons.

06-01-2013 11:48:14 | More by Beric
apants007

Hello old friend... how I've missed you!

Looks like you've finally moved up to NYC like all the rest of us schmucks from TX. You're not my oldest friend or my best. But you were always there for me when I needed someone classier than Lone Star to bring to a party. And you always kept me company at Casino el Camino when I needed to grease up my veins with an Amarillo Burger or kick serious butt at pool...

I'm not sure how I feel about seeing you here in the big city... I'm sure glad to see you... but I'm not sure I really want to bring you to any parties.... Maybe we can hang out the next time we're both back in TX?

05-31-2013 22:43:38 | More by apants007
wac9

3.14/5  rDev +0.6%

here a beer to enjoy i could drink this everyday when some say it pours in to glass and nothing happens there right a beer that need nothing fancy to enjoy it , just pour and drink i like the color i like the taste i like the botttle drink it looks good in a glass

04-28-2013 02:40:03 | More by wac9
cyclonece09

Maryland

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a deep red with a small white head that disappears very quickly. Smells of caramelized malt with not much else. Tastes of fruit and some malt, but still watery. Beer is definitely sessionable, but is light for a bock. Overall an average beer.

04-26-2013 01:49:09 | More by cyclonece09
socon67

3.46/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark amber pour with a clear look. No lacing of note, and foam rises high but really doesn't retain.

S - sweet malt smell with some scents of caramel and mahoganey.

T - Flavor is certianly sweet with some syrupy sugar taste. Malt flavor is nice at first but not something that impresses you thw longer you drink this beer. Its a standard domestic bock, and is not going to stand well against its German counterparts.

M - Light feel though oddly it does have a thickness to it. This is a decent beer to have with some smoky BBQ, which I've done in Dallas a couple of times.

O - Not a standout bock though also not deserving of the brutal reviews it here. Take it for what it is, a step up from the macors and something other than a pale ale.

04-06-2013 00:01:56 | More by socon67