Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner BockShiner Bock

poor

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,008 | Hads: 3,597
4.5/5  rDev +49%

I'm from Texas and i absolutely love this beer! I like dark beers anyway but this has been a personal favorite for decades. I'm in California now and it just showed up in my local store and i'm drinking one now...excellent! just as i remember...

Balanced the way I like with just enough Hops to give it character but no bitterness and a sweet caramel malt flavor, somewhat light for a dark beer(imho)!! It reminds me of Irish Reds i like a lot for the same reasons.

I came to the site to check its ABV and was somewhat shocked to see 4.40% as it doesn't "feel" like that to me!

It goes well with food(esp beef jerky!) or by itself, a great beer for a hot Texas summer day... (678 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +2%

Poured from 12oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a 1" off white head that drops quickly with no lacing. Color is a clear rich amber with mild streaming carbonation.

Aroma: very mild aroma, pick up a bit of toasted malt and caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a somewhat dry finish.

Flavor: caramel is the dominate flavor along with some toasted bread crust and a bit of lemon hops.

Overall: a pleasant, easy drinking bock. (451 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

An OK beer. It's a deep orange color, almost cherry when held up to the light. It doesn't smell like much (typical "beery" aroma), with hints of something sweet.

It felt a bit slippery in my mouth, slightly oily. Mild carbonation. The taste was pretty decent, with caramel and something that reminded me of vanilla coke.

With it's low ABV and relatively thin flavor, it's certainly not a true Bock. It leaves a slight bitter, chemically aftertaste.

I was a bit disappointed by this beer, but I enjoyed it at least. (518 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +49.7%

This beer is a dark beer. But it is not too dark it go`s down smooth. It has a some what heavy taste but not too heavy. If you like dark beer this is a good beer to buy. The smell is really good as well. The smell is not too strong or too weak. This beer is a good beer for just sitting back and relaxing around the house. It is also a good beer for out at a bar with friends, or at dinner. I would recomend it to anyone who likes dark beer, or to someone who likes to try new beers. It is one of my favorite beers and I know that I will have this beer again with no problem. So I would recommend that anyone who likes dark beer shpuld go out and have a Shiner Bock. I do not believe that you could go wrong with this beer. (723 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled earlier this evening and had this once before a couple of years ago. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a dark amber in color with about a 1/2-finger off white head that leaves some spotty lacing as well. The aroma is a faint sweetness with malt. Carbonation is a bit under average. Taste is of a light sweet caramel malts unlike many other bocks. Goes down pretty easy with no harsh or bitter aftertaste. Actually wasn't that bad and would have one again. (522 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -27.5%

Appearance (3.00) : Has a nice amber body, lightly carbonated, with a small head (about a finger's width). The color fit that of other common bocks.

Smell (1.50) : Smell? I couldn't place a smell for this beer. It was very lacking aromatically. I smelled trace amounts of hops and a sweet smell, but it was challenging.

Taste (2.50) : Smooth and sweet, almost watery. I couldn't taste the malts whatsoever and I don't find that it fits the Bock style nearly enough. Tastes more like a darker pilsner.

Mouthfeel (2.00) : Fine. Nothing special - I do like the carbonation, however.

Overall (2.25) : Not at all what I expected from this beer. Entirely too watery and sweet and unfitting for the style. (702 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +34.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I must admit that it has taken me a while to obtain a liking of most beers. Shiner Bock is the first beer I truly enjoyed.

The aroma and taste of the beer are just right for my liking. I would like to add that I only like this beer cold or near to it. It is not pleasant when it begins to warm up. (299 characters)

3.44/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Welcome to CT. On tap at 2 Bros. Pours a translucent reddish copper color with a half inch of head. Zero lacing. The aroma is malty and bready with some light caramel notes. Maybe a hint of citrus. The taste is more of the bready malts with some caramel and light orange peel. Malty finish with some light nuttiness. Very light mouthfeel for the style. Thin. This is a decent easy drinking Bock but it is certainly not going to replace 'Gansett Bock as my go-to in that category. Overall, alright. (497 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -25.8%

12oz can
A) Pours with a finger thick head that settles quickly into a few bubbles on top. Clear amber colored body.
S) Not very aromatic. From what I can gather, faint German crystal malt aroma with a dose of earthy pungency.
T) Watery, sugary and slightly grainy. (Where's the malts?)
M) Extremely light-weight body. Thin.
O) Sadly, this is a not a Bock. This is a dark colored, watered down pilsner. It is missing the medium range ABV, the girth in terms of body, and more profound malt characteristics. Down the drain.... (526 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a longneck into a shaker. A moderate pour gives you about a half inch of off-white head, which dissipates quickly and is semi-sticky. The beer is a pale reddish-yellowish brown with medium carbonation which keeps it frothy around the edges.

Malt-forward on the nose, with just a hint of earthy hops. I think the malt does taste like Viennese malt, and produces aromas and light flavors reminiscent of muskmelon (to me, at least). The taste is of light malts, with accents of light sweetness, with brown sugar and honey-like accents. Very light hop bitterness on the tongue with maybe a little bit of lingering sweetness. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

Shiner products just became available in my area, though I had tried some in Wyoming a year or two ago. While this beer has little in common with any German or microbrewed bock that I've tried, it may harken back to American "bocks" that came out seasonally way back in the day- quite a bit darker and a little sweeter than the average pale brew, with perhaps a tiny bit more alcohol. (1,055 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not what I was expecting. After years of being a southern thing along with Fat Tire, Shiner Bock has finally come up to CT. There was a lot of hype surrounding this beer and when I tried it, it was hard not to be let down. It was thin for a bock, with the smell of the wheat and a little grapefruit on the nose. The taste was similarly thin although very refreshing. I thought it was a pretty good beer but altogether forgettable. (430 characters)

3.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Altogether this is a nice beer which tastes good and is easy to drink. It isn't all that particularly special, but it's a hell of a lot nicer than what you'd expect from most large American breweries. Definitely something worth having on hand for just about any situation. (272 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +45.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As a Texan I have a special affinity for Shiner and the Spoetzl brewery. Shiner Bock is what turned me onto dark beers and it has always been one of my favorites. So good and popular that Anheuser-Busch had to copy it with their Ziegen Bock. It is in my opinion the Beer of Texas. (280 characters)

Yep, Shiner Bock is an "okay" beer; I gave it 3s across the board. But it has two things going for it.

First, it only has a 4.4% ABV. I seek beers at <=5.0% ABV, so this one fits that bill.

Second, it's often on sale here in Arizona at $4.99 a sixer. When I can get decent beer for <$1 a bottle, that helps with the actual bill.

Combine the above with the beer having some decent taste (sweet with no real hops), then it's a beer I'll buy again, when $4.99 a sixer.

Final notes: It could do with some better carbonation. After a decent pour, it went flat in only a few minutes, no bubbles even from an etched glass. It's sweetness and low hops might make it a good braising beer; I'll have to give it a go. (716 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

I have developed a taste for Texas beers and the Spoetzl brewery does make some outstanding beers. It pours clean with a dark amber color, with white laces that lead up to a fluffy head that dissipates pretty fast. it has a malt taste, blended with hops, and has traces of metal, corn, sweet, and wheat tastes. It is smooth with malt after taste and is somewhat filling. For a better consumption drink it cool not cold.... (422 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a nice brown with pillowy head that quickly recedes. Minimal aroma so not much to talk about there. I think this beer is often served too cold and that obscures its taste and texture ... I definitely let some of the chill off from pulling it out of the display case at the package store and drink it cool, but not cold. This beer has a nice malty flavor with a hint of hoppiness. I would love it to be a bit thicker and maltier though. The mouth feel is very nice ... smooth and satiny. Again, serve it too cold and the taste and mouth feel attributes disappear. (568 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +58.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This excellent beer has a deep amber, almost copper, color and has a thin, white head. The smell is not overwhelming, in fact is very subtle. The taste is absolutely sublime. Not overpowering, not too hoppy, not bitter. It is perfectly balanced. The mouthfeel is smooth and silky. This has been my all-time favorite beer for quite some time. It's very hard to beat this beer. (375 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Shiner Bock has been a favorite for a long time. But I admit it can be a mix bag. Some batches appear to be better than others. It seems the amount of dimethyl (cooked cabbage) ranges from mild to a lot. Get a good one and you have a nice german amber lager. It is always a beautiful clear amber. There's never too much happening in the nose. The flavor is toast, caramel, dimethyl. No hop presence here. The mouthfeel is rather thin but but still has some smooth creaminess and is not overly carbonated. A great session beer that beats mass market cheap stuff in every way. (574 characters)

3.07/5  rDev +1.7%

12oz : pilsner glass
best by: 04/01/14

Pours a clear, golden brown with a fizzy, short lived off white head.

Lightly grassy floral notes muddled with a bready, caramel malt backing.

Medium body, fizzy carbonation.

A decent beer, nothing particularly exciting, but easy drinking, and pleasant. (296 characters)

3.03/5  rDev +0.3%

On-tap at $4 a pint.

Appearance: Brown. Plenty of clarity. Not much head, and virtually zero lacing. Looks alright, I guess.

Smell: Malty. Slightly roasty. No hop aroma, really. Just has a cheap sort of smell, but it's not off-putting or anything like that. Again, alright.

Taste/feel: For a third time, it's okay. It has a thin feel with a moderate prickly carbonation. Caramel malts and the like with a slight roastiness as well. Sweet, not bitter at all... mediocre, and pretty uninteresting.

Short review for a beer that doesn't require a long one. It's a beer that... just... it is what it is. Affordable, decent, nothing-at-all-special beer. Sweet, quite thin, a good amount of carbonation, not very interest piquing. Probably wouldn't buy it again. (759 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I guess sometimes a micro brew just isn't all that it's cracked up to be - Shiner Bock is one of those.

Although it has a very nice and appealing dark amber color, there's no head and of course staying power to mention. The beer was either skunky (didn't taste like it though) or it was just not up to par. Mouthfeel would have been better if it weren't so carbonated - it just detracted not only from the mouthfeel but the taste as well. About the taste - it wasn't all that bad, it was pretty good, once you got past the high carbonation.

Overall, not an okay beer, but not the worst I've had. (599 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a clear amber color, (thought it would be darker since it's a bock style) with a very small head that dissipates very rapidly. Smells sweat and grainy somewhat like a lager. Taste is refreshing and light, a lot of grain in the flavor with slight sweetness. Mouthfeel is very light almost no bitterness and maybe slightly savory.

Overall, had this on tap at a steakhouse... it was served in a frosted mug from a draft and I was actually blown away by how good it was. Picked up a sixer and the beer is refreshing but just ok. That said I believe this beer is best served very cold. For my next one, I have it in the snowbank and I'm gonna drink it right before it freezes. (679 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -9.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a lackluster shade of mahogany that's reminiscent to a glass of birch beer. A thumb-width, bubbly, off-white head sits on top of brew for about 15 - 20 seconds before it completely disappears. There's no cap on top, and no lacing to be found. Keep this away from children because now it honestly just looks like a refreshing glass of birch beer.

S: The aroma is completely clean and even after damn-near dipping the tip of my nose into it, I can't pick up anything. Very faint grains at the most. I'd rate it lower, but I feel those scores are reserved for offensive aromas. And since there's NO aroma at all, I can't really call it offensive.

T: The flavors are clean and refreshing, like you'd expect from a fountain soda. Very light roasted grain flavors with an extremely weak malty backbone. The finish reveals the faintest presence of hop bitterness. Little to no aftertaste.

M: I'm a little surprised in this department, given the fact that there's no aroma and the flavor profile is weak. Shiner Bock offers a medium-light body with a crisp carbonation that isn't too fizzy, allowing for the brew to sport an ever-so-slightly sleek and creamy texture. Honestly a few steps above what I was expecting, and definitely leagues above the mouthfeel of the "big guys."

O: Despite scoring weakly in most categories, Shiner Bock IS, in fact, an okay brew. It's very disappointing considering it sports the "bock" name, but I guess it could hold its own against some American dark lagers. It's definitely light years ahead of most of the BMC offerings. It's not something I'd drink for the pleasure of its consumption, but I wouldn't object to mindlessly pounding down a few pints on Gameday with some friends. (1,762 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle poured into tulip glass

Transparent Mahogany ruby brown , slight carbonation visible, scant ring of white bubbles grabbing the edge of the glass

Faint aroma of grains and sweet malt. Not much there.

Taste of grain and maybe adjuncts??? Smooth on the sip, foams on the back of the tongue , whisk of bitterness and smooth, clean finish and aftertaste.

I used to seek out this beer on visits to Texas and loved it. Better in my memory than in in my review (464 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Dark color brown.

S: Not much here on the nose but nothing to complain about I guess.

T: Now, I don't dislike shiner, and this review is based purely objectiveness. This isn't bad. It's definitely not amazing, as you'd expect, but not bad at all. It's refreshing, crispy, and it's got a peppery wheat bock taste to it.

M: Light bodied but not super light. Heavier side. Good carb on it as well.

O: Whenever I just want a lighter refreshing beer to drink, I usually go for the lighter lagers. Shiner works for this. It's not my favorite style of lager, but it's not bad at all. It is good for the money. Nice beer overall. (632 characters)

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner