Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 3,681
3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

Mellow appearance, with a caramel color and reddish tinge topped by a thin cap of head and no visible carbonation. Nose is faint with yeast and malt and a touch of artificial smelling sugars.

No particular strong flavors, just basic caramel malts and a touch of bitter in the finish. Mouthfeel is refreshing but doesn't stand up very well in the mouth. A bit of a gritty, cloying aftertaste. Goes down smooth and easy but just doesn't inspire. I could see it again on occasion, but if I didn't, my life would still be worth living..

2.21/5  rDev -27.3%

Pours a light amber with a minimal head. Smells of bread and grains with hops as a background. The taste is heavy of bread and lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is well balanced with the carbonation but lacks in complexity. If you enjoy the taste of one you could have more, a more tasty beer would be more drinkable.

2.18/5  rDev -28.3%

A - Crystal clear amber with a minuscule and extremely short lived head. A touch of lacing, but I had to work to get it.

S - Grassy hops with a typical macro rice beer smell a bit of summer squash too. The grassy hops are substantially more pronouced though. A touch of stale malts too.

T - This tastes similiar to the typical macro brew only stronger. There is a light bodied malt presence with a lot of mild sweet corn flavor. A touch of grassy hops. Aftertaste is a residual sweet corn. It honestly tastes a lot like concentrated Coors . . . okay, it is a BIT better than concentrated Coors.

M - Slick, thick and smooth. That impresses me, but, unfortunately, it is also leaving a film in my mouth. Carbonation is a bit high.

D - It is drinkable. I'd rather drink this than a typical macro, but it is a weak example of the style. I am not going to have this again. Well, honestly, this is the first Bock I have ever had, but I am comparing it to what I imagine a half doppelbock half water mixture would taste. It begs the question, why bock, when you can doppel?

2.96/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a dark copper amber with thick white head.

S-kind of hoppy smell with grainy kind of corny smell.

T-again a grainy corny kind of taste also a little bitter.

M-crisp kind of dry feel.

D-not my favorite beer, but still pretty easy to drink.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%

Not the best offering I have had lately but at the airport in Dallas I had to try a local Texas beer. Poured a dark amber brown color. Light frothy tanish white head. Disapated rather quickly. No lacing of the glass. Smells light and malty some type of yeasty dough smell. Mild hints of caramel, brown sugary, light toasted corn nut smell-maybe a hint of baked beans? Rather smooth but also quite watery. Not alot of body in this beer. It is drinkable and rather light for a darker beer. It had a nice mild caramel malt flavor that is followed by a light hop finish. Not a lot of hops present in this brew. It is alright but I think I would pass on it next time. Fat Tire was on tap too so I went with that next. It makes for a tough competion.

this should be the national beer of texas.living here in texas this is one of my main fridge beers.this is a beer that wont gag you if it gets warm.has a nice head with moderate lacing.cost a little more than the macro brews but its worth it.so when yall come to visit try a shiner bock you wont be sorry. oh and ask about the rams head on the bottle.

2.95/5  rDev -3%

Woody brown color with a decent two finger head that fades quickly to a thin layer. Nose is ok. Not real offensive in any way but lacking in awesomeness. Softly malty caramel, and fairly crisp. Taste is not much but good for getting food down the ol' tunnel. A little bit malty and semi sweet. Mouthfeel is thin and finish is quick. Drinkability is alright.

Ok, but not great.

3.36/5  rDev +10.5%

This is a beer I always try to drink at least a couple of when visiting the Lone Star state. I haven't gotten down there in a while so I had one in lieu of major macros at a local Italian place. A: The appearance seemed promising with nice med brown color and light carbonation with a thin head. S: Not much to speak of really, a little carmelized malt with a tiny bit of smokiness maybe. T: Mild and a little disappointing with some malt body and little hop balance. Carmel and a slight undertone of hickory smoke. M: Pretty thin for a beer that claims to be a bock. This is pretty drinkable stuff, if as in my case, you find yourself somewhere that only offers BMC products. I'm not sure why but I have in the past drunk 3 or even sometimes fewer Shiner Bocks and woken up with a hangover. There is some additive or ingredient contained therein that does not agree with my system, so session this stuff with a degree of caution.

3.1/5  rDev +2%

From a 12oz bottle with a date of 9/20/06.

A- Pours a clear red copper color with a small white head that recedes quickly with little lacing.

S - nose is sweet and malty. Hints of caramel and corn.

T - sweet and roasted malt with some hops at the end. Almost no aftertaste.

M - very smooth, maybe a bit thin. Leaves my mouth feeling dry.

D - Nothing outstanding about it, but it is very drinkable. I could easily put down a few of these in a sitting.

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz. with no freshness date. It's a clear, deep copper hue with very active carbonation and a 2" khaki head that leaves light lacing. Light caramel and molasses malts in the aroma with some macro/adjunct qualities. The flavor is the same with very light green/spicy hops on top of a light body that has lively carbonation and leaves a short finish. Easy to drink but not very flavorful. Tastes like a macro version of a bock.

3.17/5  rDev +4.3%

A - pours out a brownish/copper color. A small, short-lived head. No lacing.

S - Basically all I could smell was malt, not much else.

T - It tastes of roasted malts and hints of caramel.

M - It is crisp and smooth. It is light to medium-bodied.

D - As far as bocks go, it's not my favorite but it goes down well.

3.41/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours a deep chestnut color with a rush of fine carbonation. Nice, big foamy head eventually settles to a frothy top. Aroma is sweet and slightly corny with a fair amount of caramel...seems pretty dull overall though. Malty, nutty flavor with a thin toasted caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is weak...gives it a rather watery feel.

Nothing really stands out about this "bock" but I have to admit, I could knock quite a few of these back with great ease. I found absolutely nothing offensive whatsoever...yeah, its thin and not all that exciting, but its still a decent dark lager of sorts.

12oz brown bottle

Shiner bock was deep copper in color with a 3/4 inch head that disappeared almost immediately. sweet malt aroma and flavor. Light to medium bodied, seems light for the slyle. It's not something that I would buy again, but I wouldn't turn one down.

3.67/5  rDev +20.7%

A - Dark amber, with a creamy off white head.

S - Sweet malt and notes of caramel.

T - Mid-bodied, upfront taste has roasted malts and a small amount of caramel. Not much hops present, but goes down smooth enough. An easy drinker, and one with a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

Not a great example of the style, but a solid beer none the less. One of the closest brewerys near my home, and one I have visited often. Recommended.

3.28/5  rDev +7.9%

Standard 12oz. brown bottle, covered by a yellow label with a ram on it.

Dark clear copper red color, almost turning brown. Similar to the color on the edges of a porter when it's held up to light. Leaves a thin light tan head which dissapears quickly, and leaves very little lacing.

No overpowering aromas, has qualities of a macro style beer.

Slight maltiness with slight hoppiness, nothing really jumps out at me. Most of the flavor is hindered by a metallic taste found in the middle of the tongue.

Medium body that finishes clean and a little dry. Light carbonation, no strong alcohol taste when the beer warms.

I've enjoyed this beer for a long time. It's drinkability is relatively high, and it hits the spot any time of the year (well sort of, in Texas there is really only one season: summer).

Tiny hint of malts present, barely any hop qualities.

3.75/5  rDev +23.4%

Special beer with German reminiscenses multiprized brewery.

deep brown color and great body, defined flavor.

Ample hoped, special aroma for Mexican food by its similarity with vienna to lager, very common in a couple of mexican popular beers,

recommendable 88%.

3.66/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a bottle with an unreadable freshness date, served cold.

Poured slightly cloudy, a light caramel color. Very thin, white head on it that dissipated fairly quickly.

Strong hints of orange in the aromas, with touches of the malt and burnt caramel.

Nice depth to the flavors - they actually travel somewhere, especially on the middle of the tongue. That dark, caramelly sweetness of the tip of the tongue, then tastes of toasted malt in the middle. Ends at a nice balance of sweet and savory. Very little of the hops in there. Wish they could be a touch stronger.

Crisp carbonation - seems like just the right amount to help the flavors.

Very sippable. Although the flavors could be more pronounced, they balance nicely with the carbonation to make for an enjoyable brew. I can see why so many people are die-hard fans of this beer.

3.08/5  rDev +1.3%

I tried this because a Texan friend of mine pimped it to me.

Dark, yet clear, color, pale white head that doesn't stick around for the whole show.

Smell is underwhelming, not what I expect from a bock. I swear I smell adjunct.

Taste is mild, somewhat fruity, somewhat molassesy <?>.

Drinkability is good...I drank a sixer of this at dinner. I like it, but I don't think it's a good example of the bock style. And I like supporting the underdog...it's an order of magnitude better than anything BMC produces, and AB has created a product line specifically to steal this guy's market share. So I buy when I see it.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

I had this on tap at Outback in Plano to go with my steak as I wasn't too impressed with the selection and I didn't want the Oil Can.

Color was a dark brown which you can see through. No head was visible. Carbonation was alright but the beer or the glass was way too cold.

Smell is underwhelming for a Bock with just a hint of carmel.

Mouthfeel is a mixed bag. It is heavy and carbonated yet goes away with a light, clean finish. We'll go for average and say it's medium bodied.

Taste is really underwhelming for a Bock. Just a hint of carmel maltiness, slightly sweet with enough hops to balance it out which means very little is in there. I suspect they use corn or some other adjunct in the malt bill. It tastes fine with no off flavors just really blah.

I remember thinking this was the bomb in college before my palate found itself and tasted "good' beer from places like Sierra and Stone. It is a crappy Bock (why do they call it that when it really isn't) but is an alright substitute for Macros if there is nothing else around.

2.23/5  rDev -26.6%

First off, I chose this beer from the draft line-up at Silver Jack Mining restaurant in Montrose,CO. Due to the restaurants poor selection of draft beer (domestic dominated with the usual New Belgium bs) I ordered a Shiner Bock because it was the only beer available that I hadn't tried. It arrived at my table poured to the top of the glass with no head at all, not a good start. The first sip was a mixture of under carbonated beer / dirty draft lines. That was my entire experienced as I kindly asked our waiter for a glass of water to clean my pallet. Not recommended.

2.36/5  rDev -22.4%

This is not a great beer by an stretch. In fact, I would place it only slightly above a Budweiser or something. The smell not great, and the taste is only slightly more complex than any standard issue 24 pack at the gas station. I wouldn't recomend this beer and I won't be buying it again. its a little hoppy, but mainly the taste is bland boriing, and not at all unique.

3.06/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours out a clear dark brownish amber with a somewhat tan head.

Smell. hard to get that much here. small malts and sweet, some tea aromas.

Taste. Easy drinking, but not bock-like. the malts i get are neutral, no aggressiveness. small sweetness. just really tastes like a dark lager, ignoring the characteristics of a bock. but still, easy drinking.

Mouthfeel is decent. body is on the thinner side but with lots of carbonation.

Overall. its one of those you just have old memories of, certainly one that we all drank some in the past. Bad example of a bock, but i say it is quite drinkable and great at bbq's.

2.78/5  rDev -8.6%

Shiner Bock pours a dark copper color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I really can't smell much of anything. The flavor is less than exciting as well. A little malt, a little nut like flavor. Maybe worth a try. I wont be buying it again though.

2.71/5  rDev -10.9%

The pour is a dark copper-red with a white head that makes a brief appearance. The nose has caramel malts, lager yeast, and earthly/fruity hops. Those flavors combine with roasted malts and nuts in its bland taste. The mouthfeel is okay, but it bit too sticky. Feh.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Clear copper with minimal foam, aroma is a let down. Minimal caramel malt mingles with an otherwise bland cereal smell.

Taste is light caramel, fairly clean. Body is oddly heavy without being full flavored. A little husk and maybe corn comes through before a crisp, carbonated finish. A bit too dry for a bock.

This is only on par with Amber Bock. There's no reason to seek it out, although it would be ok in a pinch if BMC were the only alternatives.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner