Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,553 | Reviews: 1,077
3.51/5  rDev +11.1%

I like dark lagers and this one is pretty good. Good color with a quickly dissipating head. Good carbonation. Nice aroma and that malty taste that I love. Not a true bock in the German style but, a very drinkable American one. Not a bad beer to have on hand.

2.68/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Middle-dark brown (light mahogany) with a quick-to-dissipate 1-finger head. Seems well carbonated even though short lived.

S: Very bitter smelling - malty with a bit of hops.

T: Tastes like a Heineken. Nothing special here. Some of the same strong flavor of malt and a bit of flowering hops that was in the smell is in the taste. Has a strong aftertaste of which I'm not a big fan. Not what I was expecting from a 'Bock'. Has a bit of alcohol burn, but not as much as other bocks. Very watery like cheaper beer. I'm not impressed.

M: Very astringent. Mouth is dry almost immediately after swallowing. Not oily in the least though. My favorite aspect of this beer.

D: Just meh. I'll finish it, but I won't buy it again.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Had this on tap at the University of Texas at Austin's Cactus Cafe, though it is a regular staple in my home in bottles.

Appearance: Dark amber with a creamy white head that dissolves quickly, but leaves substantial residue.

Smell: Malt, oats, with a touch of hops and sweetness.

Taste: Cereals, caramel, with sweet finishes.'

Mouthfeel: Refreshing, with lots of carbonation.

Drinkability: Overall, this is where Shiner Bock shines. I was raised on this beer, and even though I am from Texas and a little biased, Spoetzl's flagship beer is an affordable bock to have around the house. It is very inviting, perfect for a pick-me-up in the spring. I have had better bocks and beers before, but when I need a comfort drink to make me think of home, Easter pot lucks, and bluebonnets, I return to the yellow ram.

4.6/5  rDev +45.6%

Upon the first sip of this beer, there is a slight hoppy taste, with a light feel in the mouth. The taste blends in good and leaves you wanting more as you drink it. A great beer for drinking straight from the bottle. Has a nice even pour into a glass though. Definatly a great beer for going to resturaunts with little selection and great for sitting at home and just enjoying beer.

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a nice mahogany hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a clean malts and a smattering of noble hop.

The taste consisted of a light, yet husky grain, with some caramel sweetness. There was a decent doughiness toward the finish.

The mouthfeel was on the light side with ample carbonation.

Overall a decently complex macro offering and extremely easy to drink. Could be a bit more robust however.

3.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Solid effort from the folks in Shiner, Texas. Poured dark reddish-brown and maintained its head. Very drinkable with the correct amount of carbonation. Very smooth and high on the drinkability scale. Kind of thin on the mouthfeel for a true bock, but I guess this is a Texas bock not a German bock.

2.8/5  rDev -11.4%

On tap at a local bar... It didn't seem like there were a lot of ambient scents around, but I didn't get a whole lot out of either of the beers I reviewed this day. May have to give this one a second review sometime.

A - Dark amber color, almost brown. Very clear with no real head to it except around the rim of the glass. No lacing left when there's no head around.

S - Not a very strong scent, but what was there was a bit of malty, brown sugar.

T - Now I remember why I wasn't too excited when it left Texas. Not much more than a bit of carmely malty sweetness. Nothing to write home about.

M - A little bit soapy feeling actually, not exactly bad, but once again, not impressed.

D - I have no real problem with the beer, but I'd really like more out of it... This is kind of a Macro-Bock, so it's widely appealing with nothing that would offend anyone, but I wouldn't go out of my way to search it out. Would choose it over most "lite" macros though.

3.4/5  rDev +7.6%

A popular beer here in Texas, I've drank gallons and gallons of this stuff on tap, bottle and can. The various types of servings give it a different feel. Sometimes I really like it a helluva lot other times I would just as soon pass. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in at the time or something. It is one beer that we've kept on in the firdge on a regular basis and if I should ever get a kegerator it'll probably be a ocasional visitor there also.

At times it almost seems to have a slighty sour nose and other times it is a quite pleasant light molases (maybe it is just me)

A light malty and hop balance and not too carbonated.

Overall a good easy to drink session beer that (in my opinion) is a signifacant cut above BMC. I like it cold.

This one screws up the girlfirend meter, she and I both like it.

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Chesnut and amber in color. Not much to speak of considering the head. Thin watery lacing.
Aroma is malty and mildly metallic.
Not very bock like but still a decent beer. Heavy on the malts. Unbalanced as the hops don't really add any bitterness. Caramel and toasty. The metallic aroma doesn't really transfer to the flavor.
Mouthfeel is light and drinkable. Uninteresting but not bad either.
This beer is not a world class bock or probably not even a bock. It is a cheap easy to find beer with flavor. Great beer for golf.

3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

this is pretty decent. i had heard about it from a buddy of mine. sometime later i found it at a store and figured id go fer it.

i was pleased with this one. not the best you can find but for a relatively cheap buy it is worth the shot. i got a sixer and finished it about 2 hours...i was full.

give it a try!

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance is dark amber with a crisp head that hangs just for a bit. Aroma is lightly malted and the same would go for the taste along with a mild sweetness. mouthfeel is light with good carbonation to help it go down. Got this one on sale, tried it, but I don't think I'd reach for this one again.

2.62/5  rDev -17.1%

Under a hot Texas sun, I can respect this brew's ability to quench a fierce thirst. It is refreshing, light, and easy to drink, however lacking the richness of my favorite bocks. Disappointing head disappears soon after pouring. As a bock lover, this is not a buy for me unless it is on special and I know I will be having guests who may appreciate the variety. Quite frankly, I am continuously finding it to be a boring beer - failing to boast any truly impressive feature, save for the hype.

3.21/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Dark carmel color with a faint aroma of shower water. The head died almost immediately after pouring. The taste is tart at the front and then fades nicely to a sweet charcoal. It is a bit lively on the tongue but the carbonation washes away into a more watery refreshment. A touch of what I have always liked to describe as “cardboard” flavor here and a hint of what might suggest this came from a can rather than a tap at DFW airport. But with some caramel highlights it's really not so bad. A refreshing drink that will go down pretty easy, but a little disappointing given it’s popularity in the Texas area.

3.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I sorta hate to give every category the same score, it looks like an apathetic attempt to review, however i feel this beer is a solid above "avg" beer.

A: the head could last longer for sure, but the amber reddish color is nice and there is a very slight lacing.

S: there is a decent aroma, a little malt I would say a little caramel not in the way you would expect from a bock beer, not strong, not powerful, but a little better than avg

T: its a little too light in taste and mouthfeel too watery the taste has some of the malt and caramel character that you would expect however that said like the aroma it wasnt so powerful. its a good solid beer, not great but def a cut above avg

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

It had been perhaps 10 years since I last had this beer...which was a few years before I knew anything about beer. And while it was once a trade-up for me, it is no more. This bock is more like a mainstream lager than any other bock I've tasted. Aroma of this beer was of corn rather than malt, and its appearance was a pleasing clear red-brown with a minimal amount of head. Flavor was pretty lack-luster...not as corn-y as the aroma, but still not very malty for a bock. Mouthfeel was unremarkable, but I have a hard time imagining drinking more than 2-3 of these...not because they were flavored extremely strongly or because it is high in alcohol, but just because drinking it kind of made me want something else.

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured with a dense head that disappeared in the time in took me to open this page and turn back to the glass. Clear, reddish brown. Aroma is sweet, brown sugary and caramel with no hops noticed. Mild maltiness and it's dry not sweet (no touch of corn or other grains). The hops are still under the malt in the taste. Medium body on this one, with enough carbonation to know its there. Aftertaste is gently sweet and then moves toward dry. Hops still light here too.

The is a decent beer. Nothing jazzy here, but it's good for around the backyard barbecue, when you're not as concerned with complexity.

3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

I tried this at a restaurant in Arizona just out of curiosity. The smell was not to strong. The taste was smooth and had no bitterness to it which was surprising considering the color.You could probably drink this beer all day when working in the yard or something if you like a dark beer that isnt too strong.

3.14/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A hard pour forced a bit of head onto the beer but it dissipated almost immediately into nothing. Lacing is nearly nonexistent although the nice, deep brown/red body saves the appearance somewhat.

Mild malt sweetness gets lost in the cereal aromas (wheat chaff). Still, nothing bad going on here per se.

Hard to see where this is a bock. Essentially no malt sweetness until a final wisp at the conclusion and the overall taste is rather flat. The predominant flavor is akin to a macro-lager without any of the negative lowlights and a slightly pleasant caramel hint on the back end. Totally inoffensive yet almost as uninteresting.

Mouthfeel is good and thick up front but succumbs to a fizzy/watery ending.

For all its deficiencies, this is a drinkable brew and is the most widely available non-swill in Texas. When I visit the in-laws in East TX this is what I retreat to. It reminds me of a Southern Leinie's and strikes me as something I'd have drunk as a stepping-stone brew if I'd grown up in, let's say, Ft. Worth. Or on second thought, let's not say that.

3.31/5  rDev +4.7%

This is my first review, so I decided to do an easy one.

Appearance- clear, dark amber. The head was unimpressive and dissipated quickly with no lacing.

Smell- very sweet and malty, no trace of hops at all.

Taste- same as the smell, sweet and malty with virtually no hop presence to speak of.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied, moderate carbonation that balances the sweetness to some degree. A little bit of a sweet aftertaste.

Drinkability- A good session beer if you don't mind the sweetness.

Notes: This beer has an almost cult-like following here in Texas, though I'm not really sure why. It's not a bad beer, but it's certainly not a great one either. If you're ever in Texas, I'd recommend trying it just so you can see what all the hype's about. I guess my biggest beef with it is the label. It's not a bock beer by any standard. I'd call it a Vienna lager.

2.6/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours a crisp amber with a decent head that quickly diminished to a ring. The aroma was dominated by caramel malts, but not much else, overall rather weak. The beer was very malts, but overall rather on the bland/off side. The beer is very light and crisp but somewhat overly carbonated. I find it somewhat hard to believe that this is advertised as microbrew. It really has a big brewery feel and would likely only be truly enjoyed by fans of that beer. Give me a Spaten Bock over this stuff any day.

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%

On tap at Waxy O'Conner's in San Antonio. I've heard about it and I couldn't resist trying it on a recent business trip.

A decent looking dark amber color with a light tan head that did not linger long.

Not much in the nose. Taste is slightly sweet with minimal maltiness to it. No hop presence to speak of. Definitely more flavor than the other Texas lager I tried, but nothing overwhelming. The mouthfeel was decent, and I could drink a bunch of these in a night if nothing else was available.

Try it if you get the chance, and then move on to something else.

3.2/5  rDev +1.3%

I liked the light taste of this beer without it tasting like your avareage lager. It was smooth and refreshing while not being too sweet. Another beer that I wish that I could get here in Buffalo. It is a nice beer to have in the Fridge to offer friends that aren't adventurous when it comes to trying new beers.

2.34/5  rDev -25.9%

Wanted to like this but to me it was just an OK beer like Yuengling.

Appearance: Looks interesting, like a beer should. Nice label.
Smell: Don't know the technical term, but it smells like cheap beer, uugghh
Taste: Weak, watery, slight malt/ sweet taste.
Mouthfeel: Non-existant.

Was this a good beer that was dumbed down. I hope so (actually hope not).

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On special at a Tex-Mex place in Austin. The beer is dark brown with some amber overtones. There's not much in the way of smell, but what's there is the smell of dark malts, maybe some wheat. The flavor is slight, nowhere near as pronounced as that of bocks in Germany. I've described this to friends as "an American macro lager with food coloring in it." There's maybe a little more bitterness and malt flavor than Budweiser, but it's not incredibly complex or anything. Still, it has a nice, creamy mouthfeel and very good drinkability. It lacks the offensive aftertaste of the Shiner Hefeweizen. This would be an inexpensive bock I would keep in my fridge for spring consumption.

3.73/5  rDev +18%

again, one of the first beers i ever tryed in the good ole united states, and living in texas at the time..it's basically everywhere..and when you find a good establishment with good turnover , it really can be good..."This beautiful brown brew with its sweet smell and delicious taste that is slighty bitter but sweet with a brilliant after taste that rivals other American beers of the same style!"

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner