Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,004 | Hads: 3,580
2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Crystal clear chestnut brown hue. Topped nicely with 1-2 fingers of white head.

S: Sweet corn malt. Where are the hops? Or better yet, where is anything but corn?!?

T/M: Still the same corn malt but slightly more complex than the smell. There are hops to cleanse the palate. The malt has a hint of roasted character and some sweet caramel. Really carbonated mouthfeel.

D: Could drink all night. Light on the palate and the BAC. Slightly more flavor than BMC lager.

Notes: Thanks to my friend for bringing the bottle back from Austin, TX. Great to finally get the chance to give it a try. Could see myself bringing pitchers and pitchers of this in a bar as tumbleweed rolls by on a dusty Texas street. (717 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -4.6%

It's weird how much my palate has changed in the 6 months that I have been 21. I remember this beer as being more full of taste and nice to drink, but it tastes somewhat watered down. A bock beer should be stronger than this crap NO HOPS in this beer. It's horrible

Edit: I had this beer, my friend bought some and owes me so I had one. Holy crap, I can not taste anything but malts. Where are the hops? Adjunts come out a little too. (437 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Crystal clear red and brown body. Light tan somewhat rocky head with ok retention but very little lace. Good carbonation initially but doesn't last long.
Sweet malty brown sugar scent with a hint of grass, wet moldy hay and sommerfields.
Unassuming mild malts up front giving way quickly to a short lived aftertaste. Caramel notes and small hop presence.
Only a little coating, this is a lager afterall. Leaves the palate wet and slightly oily.
Easy to drink as not much is really going on, low ABV. Maybe too subtle to be a good bock. More assertive malts and spicier hops without being over the top would be a great improvement however, I bet this brew is a damn good thirst quencher for the Texan rancher.

-Oelergud (725 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +3.6%

Had a chance to sample a bottle on a recent trip south of the border. One of the beer options available at the Famous Tootsie's in Nashville. Clear copper brown color, small top of off white foam that doesn't last. Smell is some caramel with a bit of molasses, malty nose but really have to look for it. Taste is a caramel malt with a toffee or molasses. Pretty thin taste, hint of flavor but kind of lacking. The more you drink, the more bland it seems, leaves you wanting more flavor and taste. Mouthfeel is diluted and watered down, pretty thin for a bock. A little darker, but not much to it. A easy to drink, step up from a macro. (635 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this local brew in a recent trip to Austin, TX, accompanying a Mexican meal. It was served in a tiny little tequila cup, which I think served to accentuate the alcoholic character of the beverage.

This beer was not like any other bock I've tasted, and was not what I was expecting. I hope it wasn't the meal interfering with my pallette, but this brew really seemed like it was in an entirely different family altogether; and not a good one at that: American (macro) Lager/Pilsener. The color was lighter than I expected, a reddish amber, and a little pale. The bitterness seemed way out of balance, a biting sort of front end to the experience, and a rather watery, thin mouthfeel followed. It definitely fell short of my expectations. (745 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -24.2%

Appears dark, dark, amber, small carbs and little head that left nothing on top. This beer has no real smell. It had a slight grainy scent, other than that, nothing to appetize. It the mouth, it was average for foam but seemed to have a wierd sour taste not from hops, it didn't seem like this was turning bad either, just unwelcome. It seemed like a darker lager taste, but there really wasn't anything else to speak off. It was a little bitter, but hops were not noticeable and there was a note of must from the water. Date on the bottle was 02 03 06, so either it's old, or it's young and it tastes no good. I wouldn't reccomend this. (637 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -12.3%

Had on tap at the Fox and Hound in Beavercreek. My main problem with this one is it was just bland. Not bland as in bad, but bland as in nothing distinguishing about it. Draft when served was a clear reddish brown with a faint veil of foam. Aroma was clean. Tastewise...sorry just bland. Low malt, low hops, nothing to distinguish, same at the start as at the finish. An interesting experience. (394 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +3%

In short, it tastes like a macro brew (adjuncts) with some malty "bock-like" characteristics in the background.

In the glass it looks fantastic, warm medium amber color with a thick off-white head that reduces quickly. The adjuncts come to the forefront in the aroma, corn sweetness that reminds me of Miller Hi Life but thankfully there's more to it than that. In the background there's a hint of caramel maltiness along with some pleasant bready grain.

Mouthfeel is on the watery side, especially for the style but not too bad if you just think of this one as an Amber Lager.

I'd pick this over several other macros, but there are too many better brews to make it a regular. (685 characters)

3.06/5  rDev +1.3%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a dark brown color into my pint glass. Thick head fades to a very thin top layer after a few minutes. Looks pretty much exactly like a bock should -- good presentation.

Heavily malty aroma, some notes of coffee and nuts. Again, pretty much standard for a bock, but lack of complexity just makes it "eh". Average.

Sweet malty backbone in flavor, some sugars (not too cloying) in aftertaste.

Very grainy texture, thin-bodied but somehow also chewy.

Is it possible for a beer to be the epitome of a style, but so boring that it's just dead-on average? That's Shiner Bock -- I drink these every so often, but never buy a six-pack and will generally pick another beer over it. Might be a bridge for a macro-lover, but that's about it. (804 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

A: It has a nice deep clear amber color with little to no head.

S: After drinking Yuengling for years, this one brings me back, but with a little more oomph.

T: Has the typical lager taste to it - but haven't figured out how to describe it yet. - stronger than the traditional lager style I am used to (Yuengling), but I guess that's why they call it a bock - or "dark lager."

M: Goes down smooth and easy.

Shiner Bock. I've just found a replacement for Yuengling lager. This is some good stuff to slurp down, one after the other, after a long day of work or while mowing the lawn on a hot summer day. (615 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured this one after a long Friday at work. It was fairly dark brown and started with a small head that quickly vanished when I turned my back. Slight lacing and an average amount of carbonation.

The smell was malty without a lot of complexity, and so was the taste. Maybe some caramel in there, but definitely not a lot going on. Taste was decent, but nothing to brag about with a very light mouthfeel. Easy to drink. Very easy to drink.

I feel this is an average beer worth picking up from the grocery store every once in a while to make an evening out of it. (568 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a dark but not opaque brown, not a whole lot of head.

Alcohol comes through a little too strong in the aroma, I think, with malt & caramel kind of subdued.

Nothing special about the taste: malt, caramel, alcohol, pretty straightforward and unremarkable. Not as much substance as you'd expect from a bock. Same for mouthfeel - pretty light mouthfeel considering the color and style of this beer.

All of that said, this is a beer that you could knock back pretty quickly. Not good enough to savor, not bad enough that it's undrinkable. (548 characters)

A - Pours a clear dark copperish color, thin head, some carbonation, nice lacing though.

S - Scents of sweet malts, slight caramel.

T - The taste is a kinda sweet, malty, but kinda watery as well. Finishes clean.

M - Light body.

D - Drinkable. The taste is not too bad, not sure if I will buy again, but I might use it in my chili recipe. (350 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a deep, clear copper-ish brown. Moderate carbonation with a finely bubbled head. Aroma leaned towards the malt; some caramel and hops present too, but not much. Picked up a bit of corn as well, I think. Body was rather thin. Small amount of malt and some lingering bitterness in the flavor, but overall not a lot of taste. Mouthfeel was a little flat, but it did have some prickly carbonation on the tongue. Drinkability was okay, but not something I'd want to drink a lot of.

Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, either. Its best quality is that it looks like it will taste good. Better for tailgating, etc. than when you want a tasty beer to stand on its own merits. (700 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%

I normally do an "appearance, aroma, and taste" for each beer I try, but I just got back from having this on tap at Hooters. I tried it beside its "rival" Ziegenbock...the Hooters girl thought I was strange ordering two beers at the same time.

I have lived in Texas for some time now, and my best friend graduated from UT, so Shiner has been a staple of my diet for a lot longer that I knew what a good beer was. I even got a keg of this stuff for my wedding! Anyway, I digress...here is what I think.

The beer had an initial phenolic note to the aroma that set me off a bit. After this started to mellow, you could pick out a healthy a, dition of caramel as well as a bit of dark malts. The flavor and aroma was a little sweet as I believe the roast was Chocolate malt rather than Carafa or some such. The flavor was mostly wet and attenuated tasting with a mellow addition from the caramel malts. There was a hint of roast and a little bitterness to linger, but nothing too spectacular.

After my experiment today...I will definitely be drinking the Shiner over the Ziegenbock at Hooters. If I want a "real" beer, I am going elsewhere. (1,145 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +52.6%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry. (574 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +15.2%

decent head, dark amber color, average carbonation, flavor is smooth with nice hop balance.

The big plus with Shiner Bock is drinkability. I can put back quite a few of these.

Shiner Bock is my favorite cheap beer that you can buy in Oklahoma liquor stores. I'm drinking from the can tonight but I've compared the taste with the Shiner Bock from the bottle and could taste no significant difference (but the price is better in the can... $4.58/6 pack is mighty fine). I've also compared the liquor store version with the 3.2 version, and was surprised how little of a difference there was between the two versions.

Compared to typical microbrews, it's a bit on the weak side. You can definitely tell it is not all barley/wheat, but for what it is, Shiner Bock is mighty good. Definitely head and shoulders above most of the beers you can find local bars. (863 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -12.9%

I need to get a German bock, ‘cause I can’t believe this is what a bock should be: a clear cola brown, with a big, fuzzy tan head. Almost no malt smell, followed by a thin, earthy taste – but just not much there, very weak and uninspiring. Fizzy beverage, and very light bodied. Not rich at all, way too hoppy _ WHERE are the robust malts?? (343 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +7.9%

12 ounce bottle. Shiner Bock pours out a dark copper color with a rocky head. Husky grain aroma. Sweet caramel flavor with husk coming in at the middle. Not at all complex, but the malt flavor is pleasant. The finish is bland. A one dimensional beer, but I imagine this is drinkable in large quantities. Mouthfeel is light to medium. This won't hold up to the better German bocks, but for a Texas beer, this isn't bad. (418 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +30.8%

Surprisingly, almost suspiciously dark. It definitely doesn't taste as dark as it looks. The color is a nice dark amber. Almost a little reddish too. Moderate head and lacing.

It smells pretty good to me. Mostly caramel, but some hoppiness too. Not a particularly strong scent, but a pleasant one no less.

Taste is also a bit caramel. Light to medium bodied with some sweetness up front. A little flat in the middle, but not in a particularly awful way. Just a hint of bitterness at the finish.

There's nothing special about the mouthfeel. It's doesn't add to or detract from the experience.

Extremely drinkable for me. It tastes better than most, goes down pretty easy, and is readily available most anywhere here in Texas. It's often the only alternative to the major macros in local restaurants, so you get to drink plenty of it. I could see myself getting tired of it eventually.

Admittedly it's far from true to style, but if you look past that, the taste isn't bad. (986 characters)

2.93/5  rDev -3%

In many respects, Shiner Bock offers a sad commentary on the way beer is perceived -- by consumers and by vendors -- in America today. To the masses, this "dark" beer embodies what they imagine to be all the qualities of the enigmatic concept of the microbrew: it is either a frightening departure from the predictable comforts of BMC-dom, or it allows John Doe the occassion to demonstrate that by drinking a Shiner, he, too, is sophisticated enough to enjoy a "craft" beer from time to time. On the supply side, bars and restaurants feel they can offer Shiner Bock in order to appeal to the discerning beer drinker, and also so that they may justify a seperate pricing scheme for "Premium" beers.

Not all of this is the fault of the Spoetzl Brewery, of course, just the reality in places like Texas and Louisiana where Shiner Bock enjoys its curious dual status as both mainstream and eccentric.

Being a "discerning beer drinker" myself, I find little in Shiner Bock that either disgusts me or impresses me. It has slightly more body and appreciably more flavor than your major American Lagers, but as a true Bock or a craft brew it falls way short. For these reasons I give it mostly average scores (not to be compared to what I would consider an "average" craft brew but rather to qualities that I would say are basically neutral), but I do not share the view of some other reviewers who find the beer to be utterly undrinkable. In fact the only thing that I find makes drinking this beer in any large quantity difficult is boredom. (1,544 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shiner pours out a pleasant, clearish brown color. Head retention is fairly good. Nose is clean and malty. Flavor is a moderately clean caramel malt, with light hops, and a crisp, short finish. Light bodied, with average carbonation.

An above-average regional lager, really. It's not a bock by German standards, but it is a bock by early 20th century American standards, and it kinda tugs at a Texan's heartstrings. In college in Austin in the 80s, pitchers of Shiner were as cheap as Budweiser, and so much better, back before we discovered microbrews. It's still good for a nostalgic taste trip when nothing better is available. (633 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -47.7%

Shiner Bock... seems like this beer is a legend to some people. I've even heard of texas families shipping it off to loved ones in other cities. Has to be pretty good right? Hardly.

The label is nicely designed and provides interesting information about the "little brewery" and it's history. Unfortunately that's the best part of this brew. It pours into a pint glass with a bit below average carbonation and a clear brown color with just a tinge of red to it. Head dissipates quickly. Aroma is full of DMS and slight malty grains. Flavor is weak and barely more than a Swiller Lite with a hint of dark malt/chocolate to it. Poor representation of the Bock style, and just short of awful. Choked down the rest of the pint. I bought a 6 pack... guess i'll have to pass off a couple bottles on those who might want to try "one of those dark beers." Even a Mich Amber Bock tries harder than this. That's not saying much. (921 characters)

3.18/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a clear amber that is more on the brown side. Offwhite head of a larger size with big bubbles and a little carbonation settles down to lace the top of the beer. Malty in aroma with no trace of alcohol, pretty clean. Grainy in taste with some toasted malt sweetness and very faint hints of caramel. A rather dry and clean finish. Overall not a bad brew at all, but it leaves me wanting more as for as flavour goes. Nothing great, but definately better than the macros, and the same price as well (at least here in Texas). (526 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

Ahha, I get to try the "coveted" Shiner Bock. What secrets lie within, you ask? This one pours out to a sparkingly clear darker amber, forming a modest, yet quickly receding off-tan head with average lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma isn't "bock" at all...i.e, I'm not picking up much in the way of amber malts. Mostly the nose is of caramel, a little skunk when swirled, a touch of husk, green hay and distant alcohol. The mouthfeel is springy with a very light body. The taste...caramel pale lager with a few higher alcohols. Bitterness is mild and herbaceous. Not much in the way of malts. Semi-dry finish with a watery body and distantly woody aftertaste. The secret to Shiner Bock is to take a domestic pale lager (i.e.-Stroh's) and throw in some chocolate malt and roasted barley to make it look dark and forboding. "Wow...it's dark! That must be like 10% alcohol, dude!"

A one-trick pony. This wouldn't be a bad beer if there was more "beer" in the bottle. Average across the board. But hey, if it goes for $8.99/12 and impresses your friends that you're into "microbrews", more power to ya. (1,110 characters)

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner