Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,555 | Reviews: 1,077
3.63/5  rDev +14.9%

A clerk at the liquor store once put my three selected six packs in a discarded Shiner Bock box (say that three times quickly) and sent me on my way. I had never tried it. And then one evening last week my wife and I were out with friends and here comes the beer list. Shiner Bock on tap. So I tried it.

Came without much of a head, but the color was nice, dark brown (like rich chocolate milk) and just a bit of carbonation. I was surprised that there wasn't much smell to speak of, though the malt did come through in the nose a bit. A bit thin in the mouth, the flavor was surprisingly rich. Lightly roasted malt (a bit less "roast" flavor than I expected, given the color) and a delicate balance of hops to refresh. I enjoyed it. I was driving and that's all I could do; but others in our party had second glasses. It's easily a beer you could enjoy all night.

2.79/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured burnt orange in color with a minimal laced head. What was there was gone very quickly. Smells of malt and grapes. Tatses pretty much like nothing at first. No sweetness no malt. Then a slight bitterness tries to reach out to grab your tongue, but I think it moved done my throat too fast, leaving something trying to come but not quite reaching its goal. Very fizzy and overly carbonated. Very drinkable as its almost like drinking down a bottle of water.

2.55/5  rDev -19.3%

served on tap into a 20oz nonic glass

Coppery/reddish light brown hue very clear.Off-white head,dissapating to ring around glass.looked a bit flat.
Aroma was fruitty,nutty,caramelly,a hint of chocolate.
Taste was bisquitty,carmelly and fruity,dry and tart,a quick sharp,clean bitterness.Taste was a bit bland.
A thin to medium mouthfeel,a grainy texture.
Drinkable,but boring,reminds me of a macro. Got a keg for 1/2 price,now I know why.

3.63/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured a medium dark amber color with decent head
Smell is OK but nothing outstanding, toasted malt, some chocolate maybe
Taste is a little above average with toasted malt and some grain flavors
Mouthfeel was decent with good carbonation
Overall drinkability was good. This beer is easily drinkable even though there is no particular outstanding component.

3.25/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I'd reviewed this in bottled-version last year, with mixed feelings. Last night I was dining and the place featured this on-tap. The bar-maid encouraged me to try it, so I obliged.

The on-tap variety seems a totally different beer and experience than the bottled version.

Appearance-- deep red-amber with a quickly dissipating head.

Smell-- enticing, complex, a definite bock-scent and yet more to it that I couldn't quite decipher.

Taste-- upon first sip, I had the same experience as the person with me warned, the one who complained that it caused him immediate gas in the bottled-version. Yet, the taste was totally different from the bottled-version. Maybe just too much carbonation going on here. Malty bocky taste with some interesting diversions that seemed to change with each gulp on a clean palate, and again changing as the beer sat for a few minutes. Finish was still a bit carbony-gassy, moderately smooth aside from the carbonation burn in my throat. Mildly hoppy-bitter.

Mouthfeel-- hmmm... complex taste overwhelmed by biting carbonation?

Drinkability-- if we'd stayed, I would have been on to something else, I couldn't drink a lot of this in-session.

3.93/5  rDev +24.4%

Red autumn color, decent head with nice lacing. Smell came off fruity, but i liked that. I can't explain the taster over than there was a hint of citrus and was a good well rounded beer. Medium carbonation, great for everyday drinking. My kind of beer!

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

An amber pour, somewhat fluffy head and a bit of lacing on the side of the glass.
I didn't smell much of anything, but then again it did not smell bad. Some malt and a bit of roast, though.
Taste was a thicker Bud. Malt and sticky sweet. Balanced a bit by the hops, but still too sweet. Some rye hints as well.
A smooth brew. Average MF.
Can drink easily if poured in a glass for a while, but it gets boring.

2.78/5  rDev -12%

When I visited my daughter and son-in-law in Houston recently, I wanted to try one of the local brews. This is what they told me to order. It was a dark amber color with no head to it. It had a nondescript malty aroma, and a nondescript , vaguely sweet taste. Actually OK for mouthfeel, and drinkable in the sense that it went down easily. Not one of my favorite beers; hope other offerings from the brewery are better.

3.03/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer poured a clear dark color with a thin head that dissipated quickly. The smell is a bit malty with a light hop scent. The taste is mild and malty with a hop finish. The mouthfeel is thin and carbonated. The drinkablity of this one is high…ease to kick back with a few.

3.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a light brown, topped by an off-white head. Aroma has some hints of caramel and hops, fairly clean with a bit of a mineral note as well. Flavor has some light malt notes, a bit of caramel, and a rather clean finish. Mouthfeel is solid and supports the flavor well. Mouthfeel actually greatly enhances the flavor. I must actually say that I enjoyed this beer more than I expected to. Don't overlook this beer just because it's well known or it's "not a bock". For a good, solid everyday performer, I'd love to have this one available around the house.

3.35/5  rDev +6%

Overall not a bad bock. But it is not one of the great ones either.

I poured this from the bottle into a pint glass. The head started at 1" and fairly quickly disspiated. The lacing was minimal.

The overall apearance was a thinish (for a bock) dark.

Smell was light for a bock beer. Hints of chocolate sweetness.

Taste was not as robust as I like in a bock. But still the mild hoppiness and the chocolate/coffee flavours came through.

Not on the short list, but it'll do in a pinch.

3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

Mellow appearance, with a caramel color and reddish tinge topped by a thin cap of head and no visible carbonation. Nose is faint with yeast and malt and a touch of artificial smelling sugars.

No particular strong flavors, just basic caramel malts and a touch of bitter in the finish. Mouthfeel is refreshing but doesn't stand up very well in the mouth. A bit of a gritty, cloying aftertaste. Goes down smooth and easy but just doesn't inspire. I could see it again on occasion, but if I didn't, my life would still be worth living..

2.21/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a light amber with a minimal head. Smells of bread and grains with hops as a background. The taste is heavy of bread and lingers into the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is well balanced with the carbonation but lacks in complexity. If you enjoy the taste of one you could have more, a more tasty beer would be more drinkable.

2.18/5  rDev -31%

A - Crystal clear amber with a minuscule and extremely short lived head. A touch of lacing, but I had to work to get it.

S - Grassy hops with a typical macro rice beer smell a bit of summer squash too. The grassy hops are substantially more pronouced though. A touch of stale malts too.

T - This tastes similiar to the typical macro brew only stronger. There is a light bodied malt presence with a lot of mild sweet corn flavor. A touch of grassy hops. Aftertaste is a residual sweet corn. It honestly tastes a lot like concentrated Coors . . . okay, it is a BIT better than concentrated Coors.

M - Slick, thick and smooth. That impresses me, but, unfortunately, it is also leaving a film in my mouth. Carbonation is a bit high.

D - It is drinkable. I'd rather drink this than a typical macro, but it is a weak example of the style. I am not going to have this again. Well, honestly, this is the first Bock I have ever had, but I am comparing it to what I imagine a half doppelbock half water mixture would taste. It begs the question, why bock, when you can doppel?

2.96/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz. bottle poured into pint glass

A-poured a dark copper amber with thick white head.

S-kind of hoppy smell with grainy kind of corny smell.

T-again a grainy corny kind of taste also a little bitter.

M-crisp kind of dry feel.

D-not my favorite beer, but still pretty easy to drink.

2.68/5  rDev -15.2%

Not the best offering I have had lately but at the airport in Dallas I had to try a local Texas beer. Poured a dark amber brown color. Light frothy tanish white head. Disapated rather quickly. No lacing of the glass. Smells light and malty some type of yeasty dough smell. Mild hints of caramel, brown sugary, light toasted corn nut smell-maybe a hint of baked beans? Rather smooth but also quite watery. Not alot of body in this beer. It is drinkable and rather light for a darker beer. It had a nice mild caramel malt flavor that is followed by a light hop finish. Not a lot of hops present in this brew. It is alright but I think I would pass on it next time. Fat Tire was on tap too so I went with that next. It makes for a tough competion.

this should be the national beer of texas.living here in texas this is one of my main fridge beers.this is a beer that wont gag you if it gets warm.has a nice head with moderate lacing.cost a little more than the macro brews but its worth it.so when yall come to visit try a shiner bock you wont be sorry. oh and ask about the rams head on the bottle.

2.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Woody brown color with a decent two finger head that fades quickly to a thin layer. Nose is ok. Not real offensive in any way but lacking in awesomeness. Softly malty caramel, and fairly crisp. Taste is not much but good for getting food down the ol' tunnel. A little bit malty and semi sweet. Mouthfeel is thin and finish is quick. Drinkability is alright.

Ok, but not great.

3.36/5  rDev +6.3%

This is a beer I always try to drink at least a couple of when visiting the Lone Star state. I haven't gotten down there in a while so I had one in lieu of major macros at a local Italian place. A: The appearance seemed promising with nice med brown color and light carbonation with a thin head. S: Not much to speak of really, a little carmelized malt with a tiny bit of smokiness maybe. T: Mild and a little disappointing with some malt body and little hop balance. Carmel and a slight undertone of hickory smoke. M: Pretty thin for a beer that claims to be a bock. This is pretty drinkable stuff, if as in my case, you find yourself somewhere that only offers BMC products. I'm not sure why but I have in the past drunk 3 or even sometimes fewer Shiner Bocks and woken up with a hangover. There is some additive or ingredient contained therein that does not agree with my system, so session this stuff with a degree of caution.

3.1/5  rDev -1.9%

From a 12oz bottle with a date of 9/20/06.

A- Pours a clear red copper color with a small white head that recedes quickly with little lacing.

S - nose is sweet and malty. Hints of caramel and corn.

T - sweet and roasted malt with some hops at the end. Almost no aftertaste.

M - very smooth, maybe a bit thin. Leaves my mouth feeling dry.

D - Nothing outstanding about it, but it is very drinkable. I could easily put down a few of these in a sitting.

2.78/5  rDev -12%

12 oz. with no freshness date. It's a clear, deep copper hue with very active carbonation and a 2" khaki head that leaves light lacing. Light caramel and molasses malts in the aroma with some macro/adjunct qualities. The flavor is the same with very light green/spicy hops on top of a light body that has lively carbonation and leaves a short finish. Easy to drink but not very flavorful. Tastes like a macro version of a bock.

3.17/5  rDev +0.3%

A - pours out a brownish/copper color. A small, short-lived head. No lacing.

S - Basically all I could smell was malt, not much else.

T - It tastes of roasted malts and hints of caramel.

M - It is crisp and smooth. It is light to medium-bodied.

D - As far as bocks go, it's not my favorite but it goes down well.

3.41/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a deep chestnut color with a rush of fine carbonation. Nice, big foamy head eventually settles to a frothy top. Aroma is sweet and slightly corny with a fair amount of caramel...seems pretty dull overall though. Malty, nutty flavor with a thin toasted caramel sweetness. Mouthfeel is weak...gives it a rather watery feel.

Nothing really stands out about this "bock" but I have to admit, I could knock quite a few of these back with great ease. I found absolutely nothing offensive whatsoever...yeah, its thin and not all that exciting, but its still a decent dark lager of sorts.

12oz brown bottle

Shiner bock was deep copper in color with a 3/4 inch head that disappeared almost immediately. sweet malt aroma and flavor. Light to medium bodied, seems light for the slyle. It's not something that I would buy again, but I wouldn't turn one down.

3.67/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Dark amber, with a creamy off white head.

S - Sweet malt and notes of caramel.

T - Mid-bodied, upfront taste has roasted malts and a small amount of caramel. Not much hops present, but goes down smooth enough. An easy drinker, and one with a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

Not a great example of the style, but a solid beer none the less. One of the closest brewerys near my home, and one I have visited often. Recommended.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner