Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,020 | Hads: 3,683
3.25/5  rDev +6.9%

A: It has a nice deep clear amber color with little to no head.

S: After drinking Yuengling for years, this one brings me back, but with a little more oomph.

T: Has the typical lager taste to it - but haven't figured out how to describe it yet. - stronger than the traditional lager style I am used to (Yuengling), but I guess that's why they call it a bock - or "dark lager."

M: Goes down smooth and easy.

Shiner Bock. I've just found a replacement for Yuengling lager. This is some good stuff to slurp down, one after the other, after a long day of work or while mowing the lawn on a hot summer day.

3.15/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured this one after a long Friday at work. It was fairly dark brown and started with a small head that quickly vanished when I turned my back. Slight lacing and an average amount of carbonation.

The smell was malty without a lot of complexity, and so was the taste. Maybe some caramel in there, but definitely not a lot going on. Taste was decent, but nothing to brag about with a very light mouthfeel. Easy to drink. Very easy to drink.

I feel this is an average beer worth picking up from the grocery store every once in a while to make an evening out of it.

3.01/5  rDev -1%

Pours a dark but not opaque brown, not a whole lot of head.

Alcohol comes through a little too strong in the aroma, I think, with malt & caramel kind of subdued.

Nothing special about the taste: malt, caramel, alcohol, pretty straightforward and unremarkable. Not as much substance as you'd expect from a bock. Same for mouthfeel - pretty light mouthfeel considering the color and style of this beer.

All of that said, this is a beer that you could knock back pretty quickly. Not good enough to savor, not bad enough that it's undrinkable.

A - Pours a clear dark copperish color, thin head, some carbonation, nice lacing though.

S - Scents of sweet malts, slight caramel.

T - The taste is a kinda sweet, malty, but kinda watery as well. Finishes clean.

M - Light body.

D - Drinkable. The taste is not too bad, not sure if I will buy again, but I might use it in my chili recipe.

2.68/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a deep, clear copper-ish brown. Moderate carbonation with a finely bubbled head. Aroma leaned towards the malt; some caramel and hops present too, but not much. Picked up a bit of corn as well, I think. Body was rather thin. Small amount of malt and some lingering bitterness in the flavor, but overall not a lot of taste. Mouthfeel was a little flat, but it did have some prickly carbonation on the tongue. Drinkability was okay, but not something I'd want to drink a lot of.

Not a bad beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, either. Its best quality is that it looks like it will taste good. Better for tailgating, etc. than when you want a tasty beer to stand on its own merits.

3.38/5  rDev +11.2%

I normally do an "appearance, aroma, and taste" for each beer I try, but I just got back from having this on tap at Hooters. I tried it beside its "rival" Ziegenbock...the Hooters girl thought I was strange ordering two beers at the same time.

I have lived in Texas for some time now, and my best friend graduated from UT, so Shiner has been a staple of my diet for a lot longer that I knew what a good beer was. I even got a keg of this stuff for my wedding! Anyway, I digress...here is what I think.

The beer had an initial phenolic note to the aroma that set me off a bit. After this started to mellow, you could pick out a healthy a, dition of caramel as well as a bit of dark malts. The flavor and aroma was a little sweet as I believe the roast was Chocolate malt rather than Carafa or some such. The flavor was mostly wet and attenuated tasting with a mellow addition from the caramel malts. There was a hint of roast and a little bitterness to linger, but nothing too spectacular.

After my experiment today...I will definitely be drinking the Shiner over the Ziegenbock at Hooters. If I want a "real" beer, I am going elsewhere.

4.61/5  rDev +51.6%

Shiner! In my opinion, the best thing to come out of Texas (my wife aside, of course). And we can't get it here in Illinois, so it makes visiting the inlaws a whole lot sweeter.

If not for the name though, I would never associate this 20SRM-ish brew with bock. It lacks the characteristic smoothness and rich body of most bocks that I know. In fact, this is among the lightest beers on my "favorites" list. I always thought of it more as a light brown ale.

Bottles are good but properly served pints are awesome! Catch one at the Dallas airport and you won't be sorry.

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

decent head, dark amber color, average carbonation, flavor is smooth with nice hop balance.

The big plus with Shiner Bock is drinkability. I can put back quite a few of these.

Shiner Bock is my favorite cheap beer that you can buy in Oklahoma liquor stores. I'm drinking from the can tonight but I've compared the taste with the Shiner Bock from the bottle and could taste no significant difference (but the price is better in the can... $4.58/6 pack is mighty fine). I've also compared the liquor store version with the 3.2 version, and was surprised how little of a difference there was between the two versions.

Compared to typical microbrews, it's a bit on the weak side. You can definitely tell it is not all barley/wheat, but for what it is, Shiner Bock is mighty good. Definitely head and shoulders above most of the beers you can find local bars.

2.63/5  rDev -13.5%

I need to get a German bock, ‘cause I can’t believe this is what a bock should be: a clear cola brown, with a big, fuzzy tan head. Almost no malt smell, followed by a thin, earthy taste – but just not much there, very weak and uninspiring. Fizzy beverage, and very light bodied. Not rich at all, way too hoppy _ WHERE are the robust malts??

3.26/5  rDev +7.2%

12 ounce bottle. Shiner Bock pours out a dark copper color with a rocky head. Husky grain aroma. Sweet caramel flavor with husk coming in at the middle. Not at all complex, but the malt flavor is pleasant. The finish is bland. A one dimensional beer, but I imagine this is drinkable in large quantities. Mouthfeel is light to medium. This won't hold up to the better German bocks, but for a Texas beer, this isn't bad.

3.95/5  rDev +29.9%

Surprisingly, almost suspiciously dark. It definitely doesn't taste as dark as it looks. The color is a nice dark amber. Almost a little reddish too. Moderate head and lacing.

It smells pretty good to me. Mostly caramel, but some hoppiness too. Not a particularly strong scent, but a pleasant one no less.

Taste is also a bit caramel. Light to medium bodied with some sweetness up front. A little flat in the middle, but not in a particularly awful way. Just a hint of bitterness at the finish.

There's nothing special about the mouthfeel. It's doesn't add to or detract from the experience.

Extremely drinkable for me. It tastes better than most, goes down pretty easy, and is readily available most anywhere here in Texas. It's often the only alternative to the major macros in local restaurants, so you get to drink plenty of it. I could see myself getting tired of it eventually.

Admittedly it's far from true to style, but if you look past that, the taste isn't bad.

2.93/5  rDev -3.6%

In many respects, Shiner Bock offers a sad commentary on the way beer is perceived -- by consumers and by vendors -- in America today. To the masses, this "dark" beer embodies what they imagine to be all the qualities of the enigmatic concept of the microbrew: it is either a frightening departure from the predictable comforts of BMC-dom, or it allows John Doe the occassion to demonstrate that by drinking a Shiner, he, too, is sophisticated enough to enjoy a "craft" beer from time to time. On the supply side, bars and restaurants feel they can offer Shiner Bock in order to appeal to the discerning beer drinker, and also so that they may justify a seperate pricing scheme for "Premium" beers.

Not all of this is the fault of the Spoetzl Brewery, of course, just the reality in places like Texas and Louisiana where Shiner Bock enjoys its curious dual status as both mainstream and eccentric.

Being a "discerning beer drinker" myself, I find little in Shiner Bock that either disgusts me or impresses me. It has slightly more body and appreciably more flavor than your major American Lagers, but as a true Bock or a craft brew it falls way short. For these reasons I give it mostly average scores (not to be compared to what I would consider an "average" craft brew but rather to qualities that I would say are basically neutral), but I do not share the view of some other reviewers who find the beer to be utterly undrinkable. In fact the only thing that I find makes drinking this beer in any large quantity difficult is boredom.

3.6/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shiner pours out a pleasant, clearish brown color. Head retention is fairly good. Nose is clean and malty. Flavor is a moderately clean caramel malt, with light hops, and a crisp, short finish. Light bodied, with average carbonation.

An above-average regional lager, really. It's not a bock by German standards, but it is a bock by early 20th century American standards, and it kinda tugs at a Texan's heartstrings. In college in Austin in the 80s, pitchers of Shiner were as cheap as Budweiser, and so much better, back before we discovered microbrews. It's still good for a nostalgic taste trip when nothing better is available.

1.58/5  rDev -48%

Shiner Bock... seems like this beer is a legend to some people. I've even heard of texas families shipping it off to loved ones in other cities. Has to be pretty good right? Hardly.

The label is nicely designed and provides interesting information about the "little brewery" and it's history. Unfortunately that's the best part of this brew. It pours into a pint glass with a bit below average carbonation and a clear brown color with just a tinge of red to it. Head dissipates quickly. Aroma is full of DMS and slight malty grains. Flavor is weak and barely more than a Swiller Lite with a hint of dark malt/chocolate to it. Poor representation of the Bock style, and just short of awful. Choked down the rest of the pint. I bought a 6 pack... guess i'll have to pass off a couple bottles on those who might want to try "one of those dark beers." Even a Mich Amber Bock tries harder than this. That's not saying much.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear amber that is more on the brown side. Offwhite head of a larger size with big bubbles and a little carbonation settles down to lace the top of the beer. Malty in aroma with no trace of alcohol, pretty clean. Grainy in taste with some toasted malt sweetness and very faint hints of caramel. A rather dry and clean finish. Overall not a bad brew at all, but it leaves me wanting more as for as flavour goes. Nothing great, but definately better than the macros, and the same price as well (at least here in Texas).

2.94/5  rDev -3.3%

Ahha, I get to try the "coveted" Shiner Bock. What secrets lie within, you ask? This one pours out to a sparkingly clear darker amber, forming a modest, yet quickly receding off-tan head with average lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma isn't "bock" at all...i.e, I'm not picking up much in the way of amber malts. Mostly the nose is of caramel, a little skunk when swirled, a touch of husk, green hay and distant alcohol. The mouthfeel is springy with a very light body. The taste...caramel pale lager with a few higher alcohols. Bitterness is mild and herbaceous. Not much in the way of malts. Semi-dry finish with a watery body and distantly woody aftertaste. The secret to Shiner Bock is to take a domestic pale lager (i.e.-Stroh's) and throw in some chocolate malt and roasted barley to make it look dark and forboding. "Wow...it's dark! That must be like 10% alcohol, dude!"

A one-trick pony. This wouldn't be a bad beer if there was more "beer" in the bottle. Average across the board. But hey, if it goes for $8.99/12 and impresses your friends that you're into "microbrews", more power to ya.

3.18/5  rDev +4.6%

Served in a pint glass, this a dark amber brown with a thin white head, little retention, no lacing. Smell is really light, a sweet grainy malt, a little corny. Taste is a slightly roasted malt, pretty light, slightly caramel, and a tiny trace of hops. Mouthfeel is pretty thin, and carbonation is on the high side. Pretty bland, but drinkable enough, there's worse beers out there.

2.88/5  rDev -5.3%

Shiner is somewhat of an enigma in Texas. Some people adore this brew while others loathe it. Shiner is somewhat an institution in this fine state and being a Texas boy, I like to promote local beer. This one is just okay to me though.

Upon pouring it has a nice sized head which quickly disappears and leaves little to no lace you must notice the great copper, amber color. It looks like a great beer as far as color goes. The smell (malty breads) is nothing magnificent but it isn’t bad at all.

I suggest that you let the beer stand for a few minutes to let it breath. Letting it warm a small amount will allow for you to taste more of the levels. I feel that the brewers could make a more complex flavor.

I would suggest that you try this and make a judgment for yourself. I think it is nothing special but I do have one every now and then. Nothing appalling, just nothing fantastic; if you like this, try Shiner Light.

2.31/5  rDev -24%

Typical beer-tasting brew, nothing special. Got it for 6.19 a 6-pk.

Appearance - Poured into a pilsner glass, was rather dark which intrigued me. One-finger head that dissapated quickly (within 15 seconds.)

Smell - Corn, and hops, nothing outstanding here. Nor is it offensive.

Taste - This was the rather disappointing part. I was rather sad to taste this for being such a famous beer when I was down in San Antonio. I'd almost prefer something a little lighter. You can't even tell it's a dark beer.

Mouthfeel - Rather good, left a medium aftertaste in my mouth.

Drinkability - I couldn't make it past one of these tonight. Hard to down, and not easy to enjoy.

The Shiner brand is practically a state heirloom with each generation of Texans introducing it to the next. While other brands have taken the “artistic” road in their line of offerings, our friends at Spoetzl Brewing have stayed to the middle of the Devil’s Backbone.

Not quite the Bock style that it was back in the early 90’s, this beer has become a lager-ized brown ale that isn’t too sweet. For the price it’s a good session beer that is a state favorite.

It is best served on the warmer side and paired with schnitzel and sauerkraut.

3.48/5  rDev +14.5%

Friends from Tennessee brought up a case of this with them, and boy did we plow through some bottles! It pours a dark slightly-reddish copper with a small, off-white, foamy head that quickly diminishes to a tenacious film. Very little lacing. The smell is mild, bready malt, caramel, light citrus and grape. The taste is mild too, with solid malts up front but turning a little weak in the middle. The finish is short, crisp and slightly woodsy. It has a medium-light body, dry texture, and soft carbonation. There’s something about this beer that makes it so ridiculously drinkable. Highly sessionable and it seems to get better the more you drink. The beer is nothing special, but I’d definitely pick this beer up as an everyday beer if I could get it up here. However I have to lower my rating a bit since it’s quite weak for the style. I expect more from a bock.

A thumbs up on this beer. This beer is pretty dark but not too filling. It has a good full bodied taste. This beer is way better when its fresh, if this is on sale, ill buy it again definetly, definetly a good beer. Sometimes it can be a bit pricy though. I had it in the bottles, I never even seen cans for this. Taste was pretty good for a dark beer.

2.46/5  rDev -19.1%

My wife love this beer and swears by it. She said it was the best widely available beer around.

appearance: drank from bottle

Smell: very slight sweet/pine smell

Taste: tasted watery like molson to me, except with a nasty aftertaste

Mouthfeel: thin and watery

Drinkability: I can't bear the aftertaste. I had one and was through.

2.7/5  rDev -11.2%

This beer poured a dark amber color with no head at all and surprisingly, no lacing. The color is nice but the overall look and impressions are not good.
Devoid of smell. The tiniest bit of malt and a little bit of rubber smell.
The taste is not bad. Pretty good flavor. Avoids the watered down flavor of other beers but still doesnt pack much of a punch of anything. Smooth mouthfeel that easily glides down the throat. Carbonation is very pleasant and refreshing and is about the only thing pleasing about this beer.
An average beer at best.

3.13/5  rDev +3%

There is not much to say about this beer. It's pour is unimpressive the head is on finger at best and does not stick with a glass at all. There is little to no aroma, good or bad at best a faint malt smell that gives little or no clue to the beers make or flavor. The taste is suprisingly full and easy. Moutfeel is watery but robust enough. Overall this is my beer of choice to tailgate or drink in quantity. I can buy it for little $$ and drink one after another untill taste is not an issue. I buy it on a regular basis and enjoy it.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner