Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,559 | Reviews: 1,079

12oz brown bottle

Shiner bock was deep copper in color with a 3/4 inch head that disappeared almost immediately. sweet malt aroma and flavor. Light to medium bodied, seems light for the slyle. It's not something that I would buy again, but I wouldn't turn one down.

3.67/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Dark amber, with a creamy off white head.

S - Sweet malt and notes of caramel.

T - Mid-bodied, upfront taste has roasted malts and a small amount of caramel. Not much hops present, but goes down smooth enough. An easy drinker, and one with a decent mouthfeel. Drinkability is excellent.

Not a great example of the style, but a solid beer none the less. One of the closest brewerys near my home, and one I have visited often. Recommended.

3.28/5  rDev +3.8%

Standard 12oz. brown bottle, covered by a yellow label with a ram on it.

Dark clear copper red color, almost turning brown. Similar to the color on the edges of a porter when it's held up to light. Leaves a thin light tan head which dissapears quickly, and leaves very little lacing.

No overpowering aromas, has qualities of a macro style beer.

Slight maltiness with slight hoppiness, nothing really jumps out at me. Most of the flavor is hindered by a metallic taste found in the middle of the tongue.

Medium body that finishes clean and a little dry. Light carbonation, no strong alcohol taste when the beer warms.

I've enjoyed this beer for a long time. It's drinkability is relatively high, and it hits the spot any time of the year (well sort of, in Texas there is really only one season: summer).

Tiny hint of malts present, barely any hop qualities.

3.75/5  rDev +18.7%

Special beer with German reminiscenses multiprized brewery.

deep brown color and great body, defined flavor.

Ample hoped, special aroma for Mexican food by its similarity with vienna to lager, very common in a couple of mexican popular beers,

recommendable 88%.

3.66/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a bottle with an unreadable freshness date, served cold.

Poured slightly cloudy, a light caramel color. Very thin, white head on it that dissipated fairly quickly.

Strong hints of orange in the aromas, with touches of the malt and burnt caramel.

Nice depth to the flavors - they actually travel somewhere, especially on the middle of the tongue. That dark, caramelly sweetness of the tip of the tongue, then tastes of toasted malt in the middle. Ends at a nice balance of sweet and savory. Very little of the hops in there. Wish they could be a touch stronger.

Crisp carbonation - seems like just the right amount to help the flavors.

Very sippable. Although the flavors could be more pronounced, they balance nicely with the carbonation to make for an enjoyable brew. I can see why so many people are die-hard fans of this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

I tried this because a Texan friend of mine pimped it to me.

Dark, yet clear, color, pale white head that doesn't stick around for the whole show.

Smell is underwhelming, not what I expect from a bock. I swear I smell adjunct.

Taste is mild, somewhat fruity, somewhat molassesy <?>.

Drinkability is good...I drank a sixer of this at dinner. I like it, but I don't think it's a good example of the bock style. And I like supporting the underdog...it's an order of magnitude better than anything BMC produces, and AB has created a product line specifically to steal this guy's market share. So I buy when I see it.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

I had this on tap at Outback in Plano to go with my steak as I wasn't too impressed with the selection and I didn't want the Oil Can.

Color was a dark brown which you can see through. No head was visible. Carbonation was alright but the beer or the glass was way too cold.

Smell is underwhelming for a Bock with just a hint of carmel.

Mouthfeel is a mixed bag. It is heavy and carbonated yet goes away with a light, clean finish. We'll go for average and say it's medium bodied.

Taste is really underwhelming for a Bock. Just a hint of carmel maltiness, slightly sweet with enough hops to balance it out which means very little is in there. I suspect they use corn or some other adjunct in the malt bill. It tastes fine with no off flavors just really blah.

I remember thinking this was the bomb in college before my palate found itself and tasted "good' beer from places like Sierra and Stone. It is a crappy Bock (why do they call it that when it really isn't) but is an alright substitute for Macros if there is nothing else around.

2.23/5  rDev -29.4%

First off, I chose this beer from the draft line-up at Silver Jack Mining restaurant in Montrose,CO. Due to the restaurants poor selection of draft beer (domestic dominated with the usual New Belgium bs) I ordered a Shiner Bock because it was the only beer available that I hadn't tried. It arrived at my table poured to the top of the glass with no head at all, not a good start. The first sip was a mixture of under carbonated beer / dirty draft lines. That was my entire experienced as I kindly asked our waiter for a glass of water to clean my pallet. Not recommended.

2.36/5  rDev -25.3%

This is not a great beer by an stretch. In fact, I would place it only slightly above a Budweiser or something. The smell not great, and the taste is only slightly more complex than any standard issue 24 pack at the gas station. I wouldn't recomend this beer and I won't be buying it again. its a little hoppy, but mainly the taste is bland boriing, and not at all unique.

3.06/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours out a clear dark brownish amber with a somewhat tan head.

Smell. hard to get that much here. small malts and sweet, some tea aromas.

Taste. Easy drinking, but not bock-like. the malts i get are neutral, no aggressiveness. small sweetness. just really tastes like a dark lager, ignoring the characteristics of a bock. but still, easy drinking.

Mouthfeel is decent. body is on the thinner side but with lots of carbonation.

Overall. its one of those you just have old memories of, certainly one that we all drank some in the past. Bad example of a bock, but i say it is quite drinkable and great at bbq's.

2.78/5  rDev -12%

Shiner Bock pours a dark copper color with a white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. I really can't smell much of anything. The flavor is less than exciting as well. A little malt, a little nut like flavor. Maybe worth a try. I wont be buying it again though.

2.71/5  rDev -14.2%

The pour is a dark copper-red with a white head that makes a brief appearance. The nose has caramel malts, lager yeast, and earthly/fruity hops. Those flavors combine with roasted malts and nuts in its bland taste. The mouthfeel is okay, but it bit too sticky. Feh.

2.88/5  rDev -8.9%

Clear copper with minimal foam, aroma is a let down. Minimal caramel malt mingles with an otherwise bland cereal smell.

Taste is light caramel, fairly clean. Body is oddly heavy without being full flavored. A little husk and maybe corn comes through before a crisp, carbonated finish. A bit too dry for a bock.

This is only on par with Amber Bock. There's no reason to seek it out, although it would be ok in a pinch if BMC were the only alternatives.

2.16/5  rDev -31.6%

Serving was from 12 oz. longneck, with a "drink by" date of Aug. 21, 2006 (and my taste was July 1, 2006 .. so it was 'in date').

The pour produced a deep copper/amber colored brew, with a small tan head that disappeared rapidly. Minimal sheeting evident. Almost nothing to the nose, perhaps a light maltiness, but disappointing for a bock. I found the taste rather lacking in what I expect from a bock, i.e., lacking in malt character and sweetness. If there are hops in there, they must have been of the stealth variety, as it had no hop bite at all. I found the mouthfeel to be thin, especially for a bock. Overall, I would have to say this beer, imho, is entirely "unremarkable". Nevertheless, I would prefer this to any of the mass produced 'lawnmower beers' sold across the country.

Cheers

2.44/5  rDev -22.8%

Appearance: Ah, the infamous Shiner Bock. It doesn't look so bad... a nice, clear, brick red amber with a volatile, sparkly beige head.

Smell: Corn, peas, coins, roasted peanutty (almost chocolatey) malts, and mild floral hops.

Taste: Stale apple cider, caramel malts, musty yeast, light spicy hops... imagine a caramel apple with 85% of the flavor sapped out of it, and you've got Shiner Bock.

Mouthfeel: Light, airy, and clean.

Drinkability: This beer makes me frown and shake my head. It's not awful, just really off in a lot of ways. I wouldn't mind trying a fresher bottle or a glass on tap.

3.18/5  rDev +0.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear, fairly dark reddish-brown (not exactly amber...) color, with a thick tan head.

Smell: Pretty much just malts! Maybe a bit of roasted grains too.

Taste: Again, mostly malts. But, although the flavor isn't weak, it comes across really bland. Tiny bit of hops at the end.

Mouthfeel: Fairly smooth, light- to medium-bodied beer. Fair amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Certainly drinkable - seems to go down well, alcohol isn't high, and there's nothing that tastes bad in it.

I'm not sure how they get away with calling this a bock, as the flavor here is so bland! It feels too light for a bock as well. Maybe it could work as a dark lager. Might be best have it with food, so that you don't notice the complete lack of flavor. Overall, it's a fairly average beer.

2.98/5  rDev -5.7%

I lot of people hate on this beer and as a bock it is a fraud, however as a beer it sometimes fills the void. Out of the bottle or on tap the beer is pretty much the same. Nice amber color with a white head that doesn't lace but has some staying power. This smells of mostly clean lager yeast with a hinting of malts and hops but nothing too much. The flavor is crisp amber lager beer with maybe a bend to the sweeter ock style. This beer could just use more to push it into the next step-up. Overall an easy drinker, but it holds back to gain mass appeal. Beer is buisnesss.

3.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours an amber color with a slight brownish tint. There is virtually no head. The aroma has hints of caramel and toffee.

There is a sweet caramel maltiness in the initial portion of each sip. That gives way to a very slight hoppy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is light, but it thickens a wee bit as it goes down.

This is an alright beer, but not really worth the $6.99/6-pack price tag, IMO. Give me some Sierra Nevada Pale Ale for $1 more.

3.93/5  rDev +24.4%

Shiner gets kicked alot here on the advocate and I guess I understand that. Compared to the great micros and European imports it's just - well, it is what it is. But there's something about their Bock and their Kolsch (which is not reviewed here). They are just plain drinkable. And the more you drink them the more you appreciate them. Day in and day out Shiner is a good choice.

3.98/5  rDev +25.9%

20+ years drinking this beer. Appearance is amber with little to no head out of the bottle -- from tap the head is a bit better and longer retention. Very drinkable, not as heavy as you would think a bock-style beer, which makes it a good 'session' beer.

2.82/5  rDev -10.8%

Tried this from a friend who procured a bottle for me, poured into a pint glass. No real head to speak of, with a smell comparable to that of bud or another mass-produced brew. Taste was a little better with some sweet malt shining through, though nothiung striking. mouthfeel was very light as was taste,which was unexpected due to darkened color. allright beer for cookouts or when its hot out im guessing

3.7/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a pleasing dark amber coloration. The head was two fingers high thick honey colored.

Smell: The beer has a coppery caramel malty smell. The beer has a bit of earthy yeast or hops?

Taste: The beer is pretty much thin sweet malty flavors. The beer has a dash of hoppyness that struggle to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied. The beer is well carbonated. This is a very easy to drink beer. This may work itself into my beer rotation. Is this a good bock? I seriously doubt that it is a good bock. This is not a bad beer in my book.

4.51/5  rDev +42.7%

Have had it on tap in many food and drink establishments in the Dallas Ft. Worth area.

Great with steaks, beef fajitas, and brisket.

Clear brown brew, no cloudiness or sediment. Not much head, smooth and refreshing. Slightly nutty.

Very refreshing on a hot day.

This beer was one of my standards while I was living in Texas. It was carried just about everywhere and tasted great. Dark brown with a nice tan head. Tasted a bit like new castle (don't yell at me) but they both have a bit of a nutty taste. easy to drink, perfect carbonation. if you haven't tried it I would defiantly recommend picking some up. no doubt it wont be the best thing you ever had. but like I said, its a good regular and its not too expensive.

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep reddish brown without much of a head. Scents of toasted caramel and fruit on the nose. I had this beer several years ago and recall enjoying it at the time. However, I found this to be on the thin side, although it was smooth, this could be due to the watered down effect the beer provided. Not offensive, but not enough to make you want another. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner