Shiner Bock - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Bock |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-03-1999

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Bock Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,560 | Reviews: 1,080
1.48/5  rDev -53.2%

boring color of a burnt yellow with a 1 finger off white head and lacing. tad on the taste side of caramel and real malty. was ice cold for all of about 30 seconds. terrible mouth feel and flow. bad after taste. slow to no carbonation depletion. very bad all around.

1.53/5  rDev -51.6%

Served on tap at Dr. Dremo's in a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear light copper color with a smallish offwhite head that dissipates to a small ring of foam rather quickly. No lacing whatsoever.

Smell: Anemic aroma of roasted malts, corn, and precious little else.

Taste: Tastes like stale tortilla chops with some light caramel overtones. Light wintergreen aftertaste. Blech!

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly crisp. Ho-hum.

Drinkability: I think I'd rather not repeat this experience ever again. Not the worst beer I've ever had, but certainly among them.

1.55/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

A suitable bock, nothing special

1.56/5  rDev -50.6%

Shiner Bock pours a nice reddish brown body, but yields no head to speak of. Large, unappealing bubbles cling to the sides of the glass before floating up to the surface, where they rest a while before bursting.

The beer smells mostly of tin, though if one focuses intensely one can pick up notes of roasted malt.

The taste follows suit, offering little else to recommend itself. Aluminum foil conceals faint flavors of toasted malt. The more the palate grows accustomed to the tinny taste, the more perceptible becomes the toasted malt. Bock beer should be rich and full-bodied. Shiner Bock feels watery on the tongue and fails to froth.

Shiner Bock often appears on menus in small restaurants as the only alternative to standard American macro lagers (e.g., Budweiser, Miller, and Coors). If you find yourself seated in such a restaurant and must have a beer, do yourself a favor and order a Miller Lite.

1.58/5  rDev -50%

Shiner Bock... seems like this beer is a legend to some people. I've even heard of texas families shipping it off to loved ones in other cities. Has to be pretty good right? Hardly.

The label is nicely designed and provides interesting information about the "little brewery" and it's history. Unfortunately that's the best part of this brew. It pours into a pint glass with a bit below average carbonation and a clear brown color with just a tinge of red to it. Head dissipates quickly. Aroma is full of DMS and slight malty grains. Flavor is weak and barely more than a Swiller Lite with a hint of dark malt/chocolate to it. Poor representation of the Bock style, and just short of awful. Choked down the rest of the pint. I bought a 6 pack... guess i'll have to pass off a couple bottles on those who might want to try "one of those dark beers." Even a Mich Amber Bock tries harder than this. That's not saying much.

1.58/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was just bad. I got no malt at all. Tasted like a macro light lager.

1.61/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I'll start by saying that I think the keg of this stuff was about 994 years old. It was a cloudy brown color, and the smell that spewed forth from this stuff was atrocious. Like a malty skunk. The taste was even worse. At first it seemed like it might have a rather pleasant maltiness to it. Then the overpowering bitterness took over, and I cringed, as did everyone else drinking it. People were actually flocking to the Coors Light. Wow. That's saying something right there. Again, it was probably skunked and I would like to try it fresh. Thank God it was free.

1.63/5  rDev -48.4%

Every time I get Shiner Bock I curse myself for not remembering how bland this beer is. There's nothing to it. No flavors to speak of, no aroma. I'm not quite sure what the point of the beer is. It's not awful, it just isn't anything.
Appearance: sort of amber
Smell: None to speak of
Taste & Mouthfeel: None at all
Overall: Doesn't even rate "meh"

1.66/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours the color of cola with a very short-lived tan head, just like a Pepsi. Won't be any lace here either.
Smell is odd with notes of malt, some caramel, metal and a serious and overriding mustiness. Not quite skunky but skunk adjacent.
Taste is malt, artificial caramel and metal. Pathetic.
Medium bodied at best, somewhat drying, sharp effervescence up front fades fast. This one is for the drain. Not alcohol abuse, it's palate protection.

1.67/5  rDev -47.2%

Bottle poured into shaker

Dark brown with off white head

This is a beer that drinks like a watery cola. Don't have this as well because it tastes like plants, and burnt veggies. The finish was very metallic!

It smelled like a beer, though!

I either had a bad bottle, or I just don't like it.

1.71/5  rDev -45.9%

One of the worst regional beers I have ever had...I actually poured this one down the drain.

A: Copper/amber with a thin head then leaves quickly.
S: No Smell...malts maybe
T: Flat tasting, some toasted malts, tab carmel
M: Watery.. no bodied to it. little carbonation.
D: See above.

1.75/5  rDev -44.6%

A: Looks like Diet Coke. No head at all. Lots of fizz, large bubbles. Caramel brown. No lacing.

S: Cloyingly sweet, vague malt.

T: Not very flavorful. Sort of wheaty.

M: Watery, over carbonated.

D: Awful, couldn't even finish it.

Not like any other bock I've had, it's like a poor macro version of a bock. I don't know what all of the hype is about.

1.75/5  rDev -44.6%

I find this weak, boring and not even satisfying in the way cheap pale lagers often can be. It's as if it is intended to fill the roles of both a stronger, darker beer like a bock, as labelled, and a light pale lager-type, yet it miserably fails to do either.

Light brown, it's possessed of a small, bubbly off-white head that soon disappears entirely.

The aroma is a bit odd, old bread, candy, mild caramel, honey.

The taste is musty and sweet, with only hints of stale bread, candy, and soap. It's basically sweet with only the faintest trace of bitterness in the finish. It's thin, fizzy, and watery.

I have revisited this in OCt.2012 and found it, if anything, even more unimpressive than before. I have tried some new Shiner beers and revisited ones from before in the recent weeks and, as before, find that Shiner/Spoetzl produces some good beer but that, ironically, this "flagship" beer of theirs is possibly their worst beer. I have downgraded the taste score from 2 to 1.5 - it is simply almost utterly tasteless with only a very fleeting hint of flavour that vanishes abruptly to dry nothingness. It does not taste bad; it simply has almost no character at all. I compare this to their Hefeweizen, which is great, and their Kosmos Reserve lager, which is really good.

1.76/5  rDev -44.3%

As far as the style goes, this beer misses the mark. Maybe it's good in context (hot, dry weather of Texas), but here in Maryland it is awful. Sorry to simply bitch, but around here loads of people rave about this beer and I just don't see the appeal; there are much better examples of the style.I know we are not supposed to simply rag on beers on this site, and I don't plan on it, but I hate this beer. I have had it a few times, both on-tap and in the bottle, and honestly I think it has less flavour than Bud, definitely less than Miller HIgh Life, neither of which I enjoy. To me this beer tastes like a watery mess, a little corn in the after-taste and that is all!
Slainte.

1.79/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

12 oz bottle at 42 degrees (not cold enough) into a pint glass.

A: It pours a clear brownish-copper color with some fizziness that dies almost immediately and leaves no head nor lace. I should have been warned by the metallic color.

S: Light grain and caramel maltiness. That is all.

T: Heavy metallic notes up front, caramel, light toast, and a weird, grainy sweetness late.

M: The body is light and watery but the flavors linger longer than I wanted.

D: This is very macro-esque. And to think that Texans SWEAR by this garbage.

1.81/5  rDev -42.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic

A - amber-ruby color, no head.

S - fruit, caramel malt.

T - very tangy weird taste that predominated and basically covered up the caramel malt, what little hops there was, and the fruitiness. not a good flavor. It also had this weird flavor that I always associated with Budweiser's beers. I don't know what it is.

M - disgusting.

D - i will never ever drink this again.

1.85/5  rDev -41.5%

12 oz brown bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Crystal clear brown body with a white head that disappeared quicker than a card in a magic trick.

Smell - Smell is of sweet caramel

Taste - Taste is sweet, very sweet, but somewhere behind it all are some nutty notes.

Mouthfeel - Nicely carbonated and light in mouthfeel

Drinkability - Did I mention this beer is sweet? It was very difficult to finish the glass. Disappointing for a beer I consider an American classic.

Thanks to Assurbanipaul for the sample.

1.85/5  rDev -41.5%

This one didn't do it for me. Flat flavor. Slight sour taste. Stale finish. A little pepper on there tongue

1.88/5  rDev -40.5%

Chilled 12oz bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a medium brown color in the glass, essentially translucent. The head is a limpid finger of short-lived foam. No lacing.

S: None to speak of, really. Not a very aromatic beer, although you can detect some small hop and malt content.

T: Much like the smell, a thin taste. Mostly watery with some roasted malt hints and light hoppy taste.

M: Very thin, light body.

D: This runs at a relatively premium price but offers little in the way of complexity. I'd probably downgrade to a cheaper beer if I just wanted something to drink or upgrade to a better one if I wanted something to enjoy. Not a very good balance.

1.92/5  rDev -39.2%

I didn't expect much from the beer. So I poured it as the fourth drink of the night.

I poured the bottle into a pint glass. Surprisingly there was no head. I saw carbonation, but no foam.

The coloring is brown with a little red in it.

I told my friend that it tasted like college... cheap, skunky, with little redeeming quality. It tastes like Rolling Rock at room temperature (unfortunately I have had this).

The flavors are very lager heavy. I get lots of corn style flavors.

Honestly, this was a sink pour after drinking about a quarter of it.

1.95/5  rDev -38.3%

It's all right but not a beer for me

1.96/5  rDev -38%

A - Bronze caramel color with a frothy white head that doesn't last.

S - Smells of rice and very light malt.

T - Boring malt with a bit of, is that tin? There is no real way to convey this but it tastes like half beer, half pool water.

M - Watery and fizzy but drinkable.

O - I really don't like the taste of this beer. It's drinkable, especially straight from the bottle, but there are so many better choices for the same price.

1.96/5  rDev -38%

Here's a macro-craft offering you can find around at many bars and stores. Says bock on the label, though in south Texas where this beer hails from, I'm guessing I'll get something lighter than I expect. On to the beer:

Twist-off the top, pour into a shaker pint, and get a clearish dark color with the head going away. It kind of looks like they added coloring to a macro pale lager. The smell is extrmely clean with a trace of...I can't make it out it's so faint. Tortillas? Now I'm worried.

I'm scared, but I'm going to put this in my mouth. Here goes...wow....I'm sharting to think they throw corn tortillas in the fermenter to get the dominant flavor. Dominant corn in a dark lager? Um, no. Just as you taste it, it fades away. Malts are thin, powdery, create a very light toffee flavor, and the hops are thinner to the palate. Light bodied it is, but which is boosted by a drive of carbonation.

If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was drinking a macro with a dash of dark malt. Too light to be considered a real bock and just enough weird flavor to steer you away if tasteless refreshment is on your mind; it's a lose-lose proposition.

1.96/5  rDev -38%

A: Pours a dark brownish amber with a fizzy whitish head. Looks like a fairly standard dark lager, but the poor head retention does not wow me.

S: Very boring. A combination of molasses and an almost coppery, metallic smell. This does not smell appealing in the least.

T: Enters sweet with notes of caramel, molasses, heavy cream, a little bit of grassy hop bitterness, and an odd metallic tang that gets stronger and more distracting as the beer warms. The finish is mercifully short, as it is dominated by a molasses flavor and that same odd metal taste.

M: Thin, syrupy, and light-bodied. Gets stickier as the beer warms.

O: I'm sure if I were in a crappy Texas bar and this were my only choice outside of the usual bland yellow lagers, I would take it. That, however, is not a compliment to this beer. Has nothing remotely in common with a real bock. I think I'll avoid this one from this point forward.

1.96/5  rDev -38%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Shiner Bock pours a blackish color with a small lacing head. There aroma malts and garbage. The taste is similar to eat a pile of cat litter, rather pitiful. Watery and weak flavors (prb a good thing). Overall nearly a drain pour, weak and horrible flavors, but at least it pours nice.

Shiner Bock from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner