Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,062 | Reviews: 488
1.62/5  rDev -50.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular drinking glass

A - cloudy amber color with sediment clearly floating around. no head.

S - what the hell is this? it smells so sour: lemons, citrus, other fruit. there's a bread/yeast smell too.

T - as soon as this hit my tongue, I nearly vomited. It was one of the shittiest tastes I have ever had in my mouth. The lemon/citrus thing going on was entirely unexpected and not at all enjoyable. it basically covered up anything else that I could have tasted had I wanted to leave this abomination on my palate. As with other Shiner beers that I have had, it also had this funky/metallic flavor going on that made the flavor even worse.

M - i honestly couldn't say. i didn't get that far.

D - never again.

1.68/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Head quickly goes from a lttle more then a finger of head to a thin coating on top that by the time my beer is half finished, is now just around the sides of the beer. No lacing is left on sides of glass.

S - Slight yeast like scent. None of the citrusy scent I have gotten from other hefeweizens.

T - Tastes makes me reminds me of poorly made lemonade. The lemon like flavor comes up first but not that strong. But the aftertaste where some hops would be nice instead a slightly metalic taste is hovering in the background sticking in the back of my throat.

M - The lingering aftertaste sticks to the back of my mouth.

D - Maybe this is a bad bottle. I don't know. I can't see drinking this again if this is how this beer is normally. I even find myself thinking of doing a drain pour. Very disappointing.

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

The color is ample, but the beer does not possess the distinct cloudiness of typical hefeweizens. The smell is a tiny bit citrus-y, but the bitterness in the smell will likely scare away hefeweizen fans.

Quite frankly, I think this beer tastes like a stale, fruity version of bud light, which is to say, not refreshing at all. It does not finish well and does not render any additional flavor when lingering in the mouth.

I suggest that Shiner stick to its strengths and stay away from the Hefeweizen.

1.83/5  rDev -44.4%

A. Appears a slightly hazed / golden yellow in color with a tiny amount of skim on top with no lacing left behind at all.

S. I am surprised by the presence of a distinct Berliner Weiss-like lemoney lactic sour tone in the nose, with wheat, lemon, and spice scents all playing second fiddle to this. It would be a really nice understated Berliner Weiss (if only it had been marketed as such), unfortunately I have to judge it as a Hefeweizen and it just plain flat out doesn't match up to style.

T. Same problem as the nose. Enough psuedo-lactic sourness is present to firmly plant this as a Berliner Weiss. No banana scent or flavor is present, cloves are present but at too low a level for a proper Hefe.. I have to take points off because the style on the label simply doesn't match the beer inside the bottle.

M. Medium thick, appropriately carbonated, no real surpises positive or negative present themselves to me here.

Overall, this is one of the most severe cases of "oops, we put the wrong style on the label" I have ever tasted.

1.85/5  rDev -43.8%

This one was low on flavor, even by the standards of American wheat beers. The beer poured into the glass more or less looking like lemonade, sort of yellowish-green. The smell was very sweet and citrusy, again like lemonade instead of from hops. Taste was cloying and overly tart, without noticeable hop bitterness. It reminded me of European beer cocktails involving lemonade or Sprite, though not as refreshing. Mouthfeel was watery and carbonation was low, but this did not contribute to drinkability. I finished this one to be polite to my host and will not buy it myself.

1.91/5  rDev -41.9%

Poured into pint glass. Pours 1 finger of off-white head. Color is a hazed pale straw yellow. Head eventually fades down.

Aroma: Wheat, straw, lemon zest, and dry spice. Pretty boring.

Taste: More lemon zest and citrus fruit here. Wheat, hay, dry spice, and grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy with some bitterness. Light bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends dry and bland.

Overall, this one wasn't a very good hefe. There just wasn't a lot of flavor here. No bananas or cloves. Very boring.

1.93/5  rDev -41.3%

Great, hazey, sunshine amber. Some small bits sediment suspended. Not much bubbling, and very no head retention or foam. The aroma is tart with lots of lemon juice. Like the kind you get in the little plastic lemon at the grocery store. Maybe some toasted are in there somewhere. The taste has lemon juice dripping on granny smith apple peels. Pretty tart, no to refreshing. Can't taste much malt or yeast in this heavy sediment beer.

1.93/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a murky (just following directions) orange amber color with plenty of flotilla and particulates swimming around the glass. A good presence of effervescence and an off-white head with poor retention. Aroma is like Lemon Pledge with a hint of fruity esters. A kind of perfumed synthetic smell rather than a natural one. Mouthfeel is effervescent with a tart finish. Flavor is tart with some sweetness in the background.

IMHO: Not impressive.

2.03/5  rDev -38.3%

Decent look to this beer, nice and cloudy like a good hefe. Smells alright, but but doesn't give much expectation. However, it tastes like carbonated pine-sol to me... which is bad, by the way. Decent feel, but the citrus is overpowering and difficult to choke down. There are better Shiner brews.

2.06/5  rDev -37.4%

Blond with a light haze, the head dissipates to a ring almost immediately. The nose is black pepper, paprika, paint, strong phenols. Pretty much terrible. The taste is no more impressive, with big up front orange zest, lemon, plastic and cardamom. Very phenolic and spicy, yet very watery and bland. The yeast really takes this one over, and a pleasant yeast profile it isn't. There's a touch of malty sweetness mid-palate, along with a bit of vitamin c flavor. The finish is lemony, tart, wet, wholly inappropriate for the style. This beer kinda blows.

2.08/5  rDev -36.8%

Looks like many-a hefes. Dark gold cloudy body, with a ridiculously large creamy white head. The bottle says this shoud be served with a lemon, which I omitted. The smell has enough of a citrus aroma without a lemon, and includes only light clove and yeast. Taste leaves much to be desired. Not much clove and citrus spiciness, or yeast present. SImply tastes like a skunked, slightly thicker and average, euro lager. Not very good, I would avoid.

2.12/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearance: Cloudy yellow, good head.

Smell: Not much, a little artificial lemon aroma.

Taste: Underwhelming bread, artificial tasting lemon.

Drinkability: It's drinkable, but a pretty bad representation of a hefe.

Another from the Shiner mixed 6, this is drinkable but probably the most disappointing tasting hefeweizen I've ever had. Weird bread and artificial lemon taste, no spices, no banana, not too good.

2.15/5  rDev -34.7%

Pours a bright hazy yellow, more translucent than a traditional hefe. Two finger jiggly white head disappeared within two minutes to a rim liner. Aroma is light floral grass, a hint of lemon/cirtus, and hint of canned corn. Not impressed so far. Taste is NOT a hefeweizen. How can they can this a hefeweizen? Reminds me of a Saaz hopped lager (reminds me alot of Lhasa lager). I can't detect much of the lemon and orange that is supposed to be in here. Maybe a hint of earthy honey. Might be good on a hot day as a work beer, bit I'm not impressed.

2.16/5  rDev -34.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Standard head with moderate staying power. Color is a a hazy yellow.

Smell has a lemony chemical smell, like a cleaning product. A hint of malt tries to make itself known. Taste is a sour lemon rind and a bit soapy.

This has a light body and thin carbonation. If it wasn't for the flavor, this could be a refreshing drink. I did not enjoy this one at all, and was on the verge of a drain pour.

2.18/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

pour was a ligth hazy orange with a light head

mainly citrus with a FAINT hint of wheat

citrus bomb and for all the wrong reasons. bitter citrus lemon that really dominates. i never found the wheat i have come come to known from a good hefeweizen.

body was decent, good carbonation.

overall, this was pretty terrible. i had to muster the strength to finish this. the citrus was just too powerful and too over whelming. no thanks... i like to taste wheat, not fruit. shiner is usually fairly solid but this was not.

2.18/5  rDev -33.7%

12 oz bottle at Boiling Pot in Rockport, TX. Pours golden with a nice foamy, white head. Aroma is of wheat and some fruitiness. Light to medium, smooth body. Stale, sour taste does not remind me of Hefeweizen at all. Maybe it was a bad bottle. I will have to try it again when I'm in TX.

2.21/5  rDev -32.8%

Pours a hazy yet very bright yellow with a chunky off-white head that is billowing over the edges of my mug.It leaves some nice lacing after hanging around for a couple moments,this looks very delicious.The nose is citrusy and tangy,with a subtle spicyness.This is my third offering from Spoetzel,I was hoping for a better brew than the other two,this was not it!Upfront overpowering lemon(almost detergent like),sourness that goes way beyond what I can appreciate.The mouthfeel was a little bit oily/slimy reminded me of olive oil slickness(wierd),carbonation was to high as well.I just can't appreciate this,I'll pass on this one in the future.Nice appearance...I'll take taste over appearance anyday.

2.26/5  rDev -31.3%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date. Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a large, airy, short lived head. Very little lacing.
Aroma is slightly sour, lightly lemon, and just a touch of wheat.
Body is light
Flavor is light lemon with a short slightly bitter finish.
In my best Homer impression... Booooring!

2.26/5  rDev -31.3%

Pale straw yellow in color with a loose 2 fingers of white head that almost instantly settles out in to a thin ring.

The aroma is very light, showing hints of crisp lemon, fresh grass, and metallic minerality. Nothing special here.

Equally uninspired in the flavor department. Very light flavors of wheat malt, lemon, wood, and an almost sour astringancy. Once I put a lemon in it, it almost tasted like a Corona.

Watery light mouthfeel with a light body and excessive large carbonation. Definately one of the weaker hefe's I've had.

2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

I was disappointed, felt somewhat mislead. I get the citrus but i don't consider this a hefe, its not even as close to one as 'blue moon'! Flat and one note, it does have a lingering wheat and citrus aftertaste but lacks the floral complexity i look for in a hefeweisen. Its a miss for me.

2.28/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a 14oz weizen glass.

A - Pale yellow brew with lots of rising suds. Very little head with poor retention. Little to no lacing. Completely transparent, this is obviously filtered. Looks like a pale wheat ale or maybe a blonde.

S - Lemon and other citrus notes fill the aroma. Very sweet.

T - Slightly bready, but mostly bitter. A bit sour in the aftertaste. Citrus tinge and a bit of yeast, but there are no redeeming qualities here. Reminds me of rotted fruit.

M - Very thin and light bodied. Decent carbonation, but everything is killed by the unpleasant aftertaste and residue.

D - I had to choke this one down. Unlike any other hefe I've ever tried. This is not for me. Maybe it has some good things going for it, but when I think to myself "Hmmm, I could really go for a good Hefeweizen", this will never even enter my thoughts. Not recommended.

2.31/5  rDev -29.8%

Very pale yellow, a good bit hazy. The more-than-adequate head (no Einstein jokes, please) is white, mainly tight foamy bubbles....but some larger ones. It gives way to a medium wet lace. (mmmm....wet lace....D'oh!) Were the liquid lighter, it would look like a BMC.

The smell is sort of like the demented love child of Hefe and Bud. It tends to lean a good bit toward the Bud side, but there is a hint of clove here (sort of like the clump of people next to me the last time I saw The Who...how did the narc NOT smell that it was just clove?)

The flavour is not strong at all- and much as I hate to say it- it's in that Bud syndrome. Too much like a BMC- though some banana and a hint of spice can be found underneath.

This one is all about a high carbonation- and it burns just a bit in the throat at the end. The liquid is a bit thicker than expected.

Drinkable? It'd be get higher marks here if it had much character at all. It's a good lawnmower beer- it could be very refreshing on a hot day- but othe rthan that, there's not much here to save this one.

Be well
-UF

2.32/5  rDev -29.5%

Pours golden yellow, and head dissipated very fast. Not cloudy. Is there really yeast in there? I smelled nothing in the way of fruitiness or spiciness from this beer, although it was apparent from the smell that wheat was used in the grainbill. The only thing keeping me from calling this bland was the slightly off-putting chemical aftertaste.

2.33/5  rDev -29.2%

A: Pours an somewhat opaque yellow with tremendous head.

S: Very faint citrus with some cut grass and hay flavors thrown in there (somewhat haphazardly). There's not really much that's outstanding about the smell.

T: Grass clippings and yeast. Floral flavor and lemon zest tries to peak its head out but gets suppressed by the overall yeastiness. Otherwise, somewhat watery and lager-like feel to it.

M: Very gassy and filling.

D: I wasn't too impressed with this brew. I had some difficulty just finishing the bottle. The only time I would probably drink this again is if someone offered it to me.

2.34/5  rDev -28.9%

Glad they finally got rid of that godawful label with the two half faces merged...creeepy. Pours a very hazy medium yellow color with a large, fluffy off-white head that sticks around pretty well with slightly below average lacing.

Nose is fruity, but not yeasty ester fruity. Has notes of lemon pith and orange flesh. Noticeable wheat aroma with some clover and wildflowers. Smells ok, but not very naturally hefeweizen-like.

Taste pretty much follows suit with a overly large dose of citrus zest and wheat tang. Wow, why not let some Bavarian hefe yeast do the work instead of adding these unnatural flavors? This does not taste very good at all. I think I will be able to choke down this 12 oz'er, but no way am I ever buying a six pack of this.

Shiner Hefeweizen from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner