Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Hefeweizen Alström Bros
Reviews: 485 | Hads: 1,064
2.35/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a white head that's way too small and dissipates way too fast. There's a little lacing while the crappy head still exists.

Smell: Very faint but sweet malt/corn

Taste: Sweet malt, lemon, spoiled fruit, clove.

This beer doesn't taste good enough to be average. (293 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured this into a Sam Adams pint. The bottle was not the head with two faces; it had an orange label with Hefeweizen written on it in tan letters. Poured it at 54 degrees.

The appearance was cloudy and very translucent for a Hefe.

It smelled like a lager mixed with a Hefeweizen. There was a slight grain and orange rind aroma.

There was a lager quality to it, almost like a lager was used for a base to build a Hefeweizen on. The taste was similar to a bitter orange. It tasted like an orange peel and rancid citrus. It had a dry finish and a metallic aftertaste. This one did not get better as it warmed. The bitterness did subside a little but the taste and texture went flat - almost watery.

I do not see the drinkability in this one. I wanted to hurry up and get this one over with.

Overall I cannot see how this could be called a Hefeweizen. It tasted like a wheat flavored lager - and a bad one at that. This is my least favorite from Shiner. I would never purchase this one again. However, when I first had this years ago I thought it was very good. If I were to ever drink this again I would fill it up with oranges and lemon. (1,143 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -27.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz twist top bottle into a tulip glass. Swirled the last 1/3 of the beer to get all the yeast out of the bottom.

A: Cloudy deep gold with some orange hues. There is a two finger white head which has very little retention

S: Big rich crisp clean malts with some earthy/musty tones. There is some obvious tones of orange and lemony zest and a little bit of spice (not much though).

T: Ugh. I did not like this one at all. Quite watery; there is an odd bitterness and light fruity flavors coming through that are very off putting. There is some orange and lemon flavors that come through but they don't really help the beer all too much.

M: Watery and relatively low carbonation.

D: I personally would not be able to drink another one of these, getting through one was hard enough.

Notes: I did not like this hefe at all. It was far too watery and the bitterness is very off putting. Could also definitely go with some more spice in my opinion. I will not be buying this one again. Doesn't hold a stick to SN. (1,043 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -27.1%

Pale hazy yellow in color, thin 1 finger head, minimal retention and lacing.

Doesn't smell like a hefe, no banana, no spiciness, no cloves. I do get a sweetness and a lemon aroma of all things.

Flavor is thin, some hops, an unpleasant almost sour flavor on the finish, the flavor is too weak for me to pick out flavors though.

Mouthfeel, thin comes to mind again, thin in body, very crisp and smooth.

Overall kinda bland, certainly not a hefe, has more in common with an AAL than a hefe, not terrible but very lacking and I hoped for more. (543 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Nice clear orange color, decent head. Teh smell is bland and uninteresting. The flavor was sort of metallic and honestly not good at all. The drinkability for me was very low because after I finished one I had no desire to drink another one. Too bad I have a whole six-pack. (312 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz bottle

A: Hazy yellow under a medium, frothy white head. Was hoping for a little more yeast presence in the appearance. Good lace and retention.

S: Crisp wheat and a hint of citrus, but I'm not getting any banana, bubble gum or clove. Very lacking aroma.

T: Crisp wheat again with a splash of citrus, but that's it. Little bit of yeast character.

M/D: Crisp, light body. Good carbonation. Nice feeling body. This beer can be had easily, but there is really no reason to. Very sub par hefe. (499 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into a stange glass.

Body is cloudy yellow under a white head that is huge initially but has little staying power.

Smells of generic lager actually. A little hop aroma of the noble variety and some pale singular malts make up the majority of the nose. A little foam as well.

Strange tastes greet me in my first sip. Some synthetic fruit flavors paired with warm-grown yeast come to mind. Maybe a little metallic hoppiness as well. The only expected flavor is a little grain in the aftertaste. Otherwise this is an odd wheat beer.

The mouthfeel is prickly, carbonated, and rather thin.

Conclusion: Not a tasty example. Maybe the food I am pairing it with has changed the flavor (doubt it) or I have a bad bottle. Who knows. (734 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

I want to be clear -- I hated this beer and I love hefe. This is probably one of the worst hefe's I've ever had.

Beer is yellow and hazy forms a white head of medium and small bubbles that falls away to a thin layer and leaves no lacing. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks fine but there should be more head, more lacing and more carbonation.

The aroma causes me to check the label. Its very lactic. "Is this a Berleinerweiss?" I ask myself. No, there is no cloves, no banana, no wheat, no wet, just this odd subtle lactic aroma. Maybe it will taste like a Berleinerweiss...

No. I would have thought it more favorable if this was just a berleiner in a hefe bottle. Its bland, flat on the palate, its like grainy water with no carbonation. Its just gross. (760 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

An American style hefeweizen for sure. Pours to a light hazy yellow color with an ok head. It has a slightly sweet quality to it, but it is overall too bitter because of the amount of hops. This is not a favorite and I don't see myself drinking this again. (256 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -25%

Cloudy apricot color with a thin, quickly diminishing white head. Highly carbonated, slightly too much in my opinion, and a coppery, yeasty smell along with spices. Standard spiced hefeweizen taste, but nothing too outstanding. I prefer Shiner bock to this beer, and thought this was nothing special. On the positive side, I didn’t find an overpowering clove taste which I don’t like in some hefeweizens. (406 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottle to pint glass.

This was a leftover from a visitor so I thought I would gie it a try. It pours a nice bright cloudy yellow-orange witha decent head that seems to be sticking around.

It doesn't smell like much but it does smell tangy. I'm picking up all yeast smells and no bananna or fruit at all, although pretty bready.

Doesn't taste very good. It tastes too sour and tangy. I guess some of the sourness comes from the lemon, but it's too much. There's really not a whole lot going on with this beer in my opinion and it tastes pretty thin.

I guess it's drinkable but I wouldn't sit down for more than 1. (618 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a cloudy, extra-light yellow with a bright white head that fades quickly. Aroma is of spicy clove. Light bodied with standout clove flavors and a slightly bitter finish. This sounds like a one-note song for a Hefeweizen since all I can hear with my tongue is clove. There are much more interesting takes on this style out there, and I would not recommend Shiner's version. (378 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Reviewing this one for the style. Pours a cloudy golden-orange color with a decent-sized head only after the swirl and yeast pour. Smell is artificial wheat flavor with a hint of poor quality yeast. A tinge of citrus flavor also in the nose. The taste is odd. Tastes strongly of metal. (tin, aluminum?). The wheat and lemon flavors taste added and artificial. There is an overpowering wrongness to this ale. The electrical fire comparison was not far off. Mouthfeel was slimy, oily, and dry with small carbonation. Drinkablity is ok if you can stand the taste. (560 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle poured into standard shaker pint.

A - Minor white head with lots of small bubbles. Lots of carbonation that dissipated quickly leaving virtually no lacing. Color was a murky, not cloudy, plain yellow.

S - Heavy lemon, acidic orange, and a bit of wheat.

T - VERY tart to sour, almost like watered down lemon juice. Some orange did come out a bit at the backend.

M - It seems very thin and weak. It retained a lot of carbonation through the whole review. The tartness puckers the inside of the mouth.

D - It was way to tart and not very complex. I would not try this again as I barely finished this one. (620 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks Csims

Pours a cloudy yellow color, some carbonation, fizzy little head, no lacing afterwards. The nose is slight hops, slight yeast, slight spices. The taste is slightly yeasty and hoppy. Light-Medium body. Not drinkable, would not buy this brew. It's nothing like a average or better hefe at all, would not recommend. (328 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -23.2%

I wasn't very impressed by this beer. I wasn't expecting much, as I have never had a decent American Hefe-Weizen, and this did nothing to break that streak. This poured out a wierd off-yellow color, and smelled fairly bitter. It tasted like a weak cross between Budweiser and a real Hefe. The best thing about this beer is that it is cheap ($5.99 a six pack). Drink it if you must, but don't go out of your way to find it. (422 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Ehh. Same boring hazy yellow with a tiny head. Musty wheat and lemon on the nose. Watery and weak in the taste department. And, no surprise here, metal. Stop using such cheap grain to produce this beer, and you can avoid the dreaded metal. Why do I continue to try American Wheats? (281 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -22.3%

Acquired via trade from RickSawyer, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly of wheat with a little bit of spice and light malt. There’s also a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very bready with flavors of wheat and grain with some spice and lemon mixed in. The malt character is very thin for the style and there’s very little sweetness. I know being overly sweet isn’t a good thing but with this style you normally like to see more than what this beer has. The hops presence is mild and there doesn’t seem to be a very good balance amongst all of the flavors. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, this one isn’t a very good representation of style at all and overall I wouldn’t drink this beer again if I had much of a choice. (1,092 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -22%

Very underwhelmed by this beer. I had low expectations going in - not a big fan of any of the Shiner beers I've had - so it would have been pretty easy to please me.

Too much of a bittery ale flavor for a hefeweizen. It may technically be a hefe, but it reminds me of a stiff American Adjunct Lager.

To my unrefined palate, I would say this comes across as a slightly creamier Budweiser. In color, flavor, and mouthfeel.

I won't be going out of my way to pick up another of these. I'd have one if there weren't any other options and it were free. I don't hate it, but for the price I'd rather get a Budweiser. (613 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -22%

This pours pale yellow, hazy, with a fast-fading head, a little of which hangs around but doesn't seem to produce any lacing. Aroma is a bit yeasty, but there's a definite sour smell.

The taste confirms to my low expectations and disappointment. Flavor is weak, only a hint of some ill-defined esters, no banana, perhaps a touch of cloves, no bubble gum, just sort of empty, with tangy sourness developing mid-palate. The finish is more of same, but includes some graininess. Seems to me like a poor imitation of a hefeweizen.

Carbonation delivers some satisfaction to the mouth, although overall it's just one step up from watery. The sourness in aroma and taste is all pervasive, not all that pleasant, detracts significantly from drinkability. I got this as a exchange single but won't buy more. If the world were to know hefeweizens from this specimen, it might quickly become an endangered species. (909 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -21.6%

I tried this beer taking a taste test of a few wheat beers i found in my area. This beer had a heavy flavor of lemon and other citrus fruit. The mouthfeel was adequate being it was not a dunkel style and more for the average tastebuds. It would be reasonable drinkable for a session beer though nothing impressive. (314 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -21.3%

Pale orange with a fizzle of head... Mild scent of spent grains and club crackers. A little citrus fruit as it warms. Wheat beer. That is the flavor, a very basic flavor, some hints of honey but no sweetness. Watery in the mouth. Overall, nothing to write home about (266 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -21.3%

Probably a pretty good beer, except that it obviously got way too much exposure to light. The beer had a very skunky taste. It's a shame, as I was really looking forward to it.
Color was wonderful and you could tell it had great potential. I had at one time accepted that skunky taste as maybe something I had to get used to, to appreatiate a good German hef, but have learned it is just a product of its bottling and handling. (427 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours a very pale yellow in color and surprsingly, no head forms on the pour. Smell is somewhat spicy and adjuncts. Taste is disappointing. Not a refreshing, lemony, floral hefe, but more of a BMC. Nothing to note here in the nose, taste or mouthfeel. This may be good as a hot summer day pounder, but you're not going to get anything out of it. There are much better examples of the style out there. (400 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -20.7%

First of all I wanto to say that Shiner beers are all twist off. I respect that. There is no glory for having to pop the top. Bueno. Twisting the top. I get a classic wheaty malty sweet smell with distinct dryness. Pours to a cloudy bright yellow with a head that is there then gone. Taste is acidic and semi-sweet. Mouthfeel is highly carbonated. Disappointment. (363 characters)

Shiner Hefeweizen from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner