Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Hefeweizen Alström Bros
2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

2.25/5  rDev -31.4%

2.26/5  rDev -31.1%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date. Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a large, airy, short lived head. Very little lacing.
Aroma is slightly sour, lightly lemon, and just a touch of wheat.
Body is light
Flavor is light lemon with a short slightly bitter finish.
In my best Homer impression... Booooring!

2.26/5  rDev -31.1%

Pale straw yellow in color with a loose 2 fingers of white head that almost instantly settles out in to a thin ring.

The aroma is very light, showing hints of crisp lemon, fresh grass, and metallic minerality. Nothing special here.

Equally uninspired in the flavor department. Very light flavors of wheat malt, lemon, wood, and an almost sour astringancy. Once I put a lemon in it, it almost tasted like a Corona.

Watery light mouthfeel with a light body and excessive large carbonation. Definately one of the weaker hefe's I've had.

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

I was disappointed, felt somewhat mislead. I get the citrus but i don't consider this a hefe, its not even as close to one as 'blue moon'! Flat and one note, it does have a lingering wheat and citrus aftertaste but lacks the floral complexity i look for in a hefeweisen. Its a miss for me.

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured into a 14oz weizen glass.

A - Pale yellow brew with lots of rising suds. Very little head with poor retention. Little to no lacing. Completely transparent, this is obviously filtered. Looks like a pale wheat ale or maybe a blonde.

S - Lemon and other citrus notes fill the aroma. Very sweet.

T - Slightly bready, but mostly bitter. A bit sour in the aftertaste. Citrus tinge and a bit of yeast, but there are no redeeming qualities here. Reminds me of rotted fruit.

M - Very thin and light bodied. Decent carbonation, but everything is killed by the unpleasant aftertaste and residue.

D - I had to choke this one down. Unlike any other hefe I've ever tried. This is not for me. Maybe it has some good things going for it, but when I think to myself "Hmmm, I could really go for a good Hefeweizen", this will never even enter my thoughts. Not recommended.

2.31/5  rDev -29.6%

Very pale yellow, a good bit hazy. The more-than-adequate head (no Einstein jokes, please) is white, mainly tight foamy bubbles....but some larger ones. It gives way to a medium wet lace. (mmmm....wet lace....D'oh!) Were the liquid lighter, it would look like a BMC.

The smell is sort of like the demented love child of Hefe and Bud. It tends to lean a good bit toward the Bud side, but there is a hint of clove here (sort of like the clump of people next to me the last time I saw The Who...how did the narc NOT smell that it was just clove?)

The flavour is not strong at all- and much as I hate to say it- it's in that Bud syndrome. Too much like a BMC- though some banana and a hint of spice can be found underneath.

This one is all about a high carbonation- and it burns just a bit in the throat at the end. The liquid is a bit thicker than expected.

Drinkable? It'd be get higher marks here if it had much character at all. It's a good lawnmower beer- it could be very refreshing on a hot day- but othe rthan that, there's not much here to save this one.

Be well
-UF

2.32/5  rDev -29.3%

Pours golden yellow, and head dissipated very fast. Not cloudy. Is there really yeast in there? I smelled nothing in the way of fruitiness or spiciness from this beer, although it was apparent from the smell that wheat was used in the grainbill. The only thing keeping me from calling this bland was the slightly off-putting chemical aftertaste.

2.33/5  rDev -29%

A: Pours an somewhat opaque yellow with tremendous head.

S: Very faint citrus with some cut grass and hay flavors thrown in there (somewhat haphazardly). There's not really much that's outstanding about the smell.

T: Grass clippings and yeast. Floral flavor and lemon zest tries to peak its head out but gets suppressed by the overall yeastiness. Otherwise, somewhat watery and lager-like feel to it.

M: Very gassy and filling.

D: I wasn't too impressed with this brew. I had some difficulty just finishing the bottle. The only time I would probably drink this again is if someone offered it to me.

2.34/5  rDev -28.7%

Glad they finally got rid of that godawful label with the two half faces merged...creeepy. Pours a very hazy medium yellow color with a large, fluffy off-white head that sticks around pretty well with slightly below average lacing.

Nose is fruity, but not yeasty ester fruity. Has notes of lemon pith and orange flesh. Noticeable wheat aroma with some clover and wildflowers. Smells ok, but not very naturally hefeweizen-like.

Taste pretty much follows suit with a overly large dose of citrus zest and wheat tang. Wow, why not let some Bavarian hefe yeast do the work instead of adding these unnatural flavors? This does not taste very good at all. I think I will be able to choke down this 12 oz'er, but no way am I ever buying a six pack of this.

2.35/5  rDev -28.4%

Appearance: Cloudy yellow with a white head that's way too small and dissipates way too fast. There's a little lacing while the crappy head still exists.

Smell: Very faint but sweet malt/corn

Taste: Sweet malt, lemon, spoiled fruit, clove.

This beer doesn't taste good enough to be average.

2.37/5  rDev -27.7%

Poured this into a Sam Adams pint. The bottle was not the head with two faces; it had an orange label with Hefeweizen written on it in tan letters. Poured it at 54 degrees.

The appearance was cloudy and very translucent for a Hefe.

It smelled like a lager mixed with a Hefeweizen. There was a slight grain and orange rind aroma.

There was a lager quality to it, almost like a lager was used for a base to build a Hefeweizen on. The taste was similar to a bitter orange. It tasted like an orange peel and rancid citrus. It had a dry finish and a metallic aftertaste. This one did not get better as it warmed. The bitterness did subside a little but the taste and texture went flat - almost watery.

I do not see the drinkability in this one. I wanted to hurry up and get this one over with.

Overall I cannot see how this could be called a Hefeweizen. It tasted like a wheat flavored lager - and a bad one at that. This is my least favorite from Shiner. I would never purchase this one again. However, when I first had this years ago I thought it was very good. If I were to ever drink this again I would fill it up with oranges and lemon.

2.38/5  rDev -27.4%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz twist top bottle into a tulip glass. Swirled the last 1/3 of the beer to get all the yeast out of the bottom.

A: Cloudy deep gold with some orange hues. There is a two finger white head which has very little retention

S: Big rich crisp clean malts with some earthy/musty tones. There is some obvious tones of orange and lemony zest and a little bit of spice (not much though).

T: Ugh. I did not like this one at all. Quite watery; there is an odd bitterness and light fruity flavors coming through that are very off putting. There is some orange and lemon flavors that come through but they don't really help the beer all too much.

M: Watery and relatively low carbonation.

D: I personally would not be able to drink another one of these, getting through one was hard enough.

Notes: I did not like this hefe at all. It was far too watery and the bitterness is very off putting. Could also definitely go with some more spice in my opinion. I will not be buying this one again. Doesn't hold a stick to SN.

2.39/5  rDev -27.1%

Pale hazy yellow in color, thin 1 finger head, minimal retention and lacing.

Doesn't smell like a hefe, no banana, no spiciness, no cloves. I do get a sweetness and a lemon aroma of all things.

Flavor is thin, some hops, an unpleasant almost sour flavor on the finish, the flavor is too weak for me to pick out flavors though.

Mouthfeel, thin comes to mind again, thin in body, very crisp and smooth.

Overall kinda bland, certainly not a hefe, has more in common with an AAL than a hefe, not terrible but very lacking and I hoped for more.

2.42/5  rDev -26.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Nice clear orange color, decent head. Teh smell is bland and uninteresting. The flavor was sort of metallic and honestly not good at all. The drinkability for me was very low because after I finished one I had no desire to drink another one. Too bad I have a whole six-pack.

2.44/5  rDev -25.6%

12 oz bottle

A: Hazy yellow under a medium, frothy white head. Was hoping for a little more yeast presence in the appearance. Good lace and retention.

S: Crisp wheat and a hint of citrus, but I'm not getting any banana, bubble gum or clove. Very lacking aroma.

T: Crisp wheat again with a splash of citrus, but that's it. Little bit of yeast character.

M/D: Crisp, light body. Good carbonation. Nice feeling body. This beer can be had easily, but there is really no reason to. Very sub par hefe.

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into a stange glass.

Body is cloudy yellow under a white head that is huge initially but has little staying power.

Smells of generic lager actually. A little hop aroma of the noble variety and some pale singular malts make up the majority of the nose. A little foam as well.

Strange tastes greet me in my first sip. Some synthetic fruit flavors paired with warm-grown yeast come to mind. Maybe a little metallic hoppiness as well. The only expected flavor is a little grain in the aftertaste. Otherwise this is an odd wheat beer.

The mouthfeel is prickly, carbonated, and rather thin.

Conclusion: Not a tasty example. Maybe the food I am pairing it with has changed the flavor (doubt it) or I have a bad bottle. Who knows.

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

I want to be clear -- I hated this beer and I love hefe. This is probably one of the worst hefe's I've ever had.

Beer is yellow and hazy forms a white head of medium and small bubbles that falls away to a thin layer and leaves no lacing. Carbonation is moderate to low. Looks fine but there should be more head, more lacing and more carbonation.

The aroma causes me to check the label. Its very lactic. "Is this a Berleinerweiss?" I ask myself. No, there is no cloves, no banana, no wheat, no wet, just this odd subtle lactic aroma. Maybe it will taste like a Berleinerweiss...

No. I would have thought it more favorable if this was just a berleiner in a hefe bottle. Its bland, flat on the palate, its like grainy water with no carbonation. Its just gross.

2.45/5  rDev -25.3%

An American style hefeweizen for sure. Pours to a light hazy yellow color with an ok head. It has a slightly sweet quality to it, but it is overall too bitter because of the amount of hops. This is not a favorite and I don't see myself drinking this again.

2.46/5  rDev -25%

Cloudy apricot color with a thin, quickly diminishing white head. Highly carbonated, slightly too much in my opinion, and a coppery, yeasty smell along with spices. Standard spiced hefeweizen taste, but nothing too outstanding. I prefer Shiner bock to this beer, and thought this was nothing special. On the positive side, I didn’t find an overpowering clove taste which I don’t like in some hefeweizens.

2.47/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottle to pint glass.

This was a leftover from a visitor so I thought I would gie it a try. It pours a nice bright cloudy yellow-orange witha decent head that seems to be sticking around.

It doesn't smell like much but it does smell tangy. I'm picking up all yeast smells and no bananna or fruit at all, although pretty bready.

Doesn't taste very good. It tastes too sour and tangy. I guess some of the sourness comes from the lemon, but it's too much. There's really not a whole lot going on with this beer in my opinion and it tastes pretty thin.

I guess it's drinkable but I wouldn't sit down for more than 1.

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Pours a cloudy, extra-light yellow with a bright white head that fades quickly. Aroma is of spicy clove. Light bodied with standout clove flavors and a slightly bitter finish. This sounds like a one-note song for a Hefeweizen since all I can hear with my tongue is clove. There are much more interesting takes on this style out there, and I would not recommend Shiner's version.

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Reviewing this one for the style. Pours a cloudy golden-orange color with a decent-sized head only after the swirl and yeast pour. Smell is artificial wheat flavor with a hint of poor quality yeast. A tinge of citrus flavor also in the nose. The taste is odd. Tastes strongly of metal. (tin, aluminum?). The wheat and lemon flavors taste added and artificial. There is an overpowering wrongness to this ale. The electrical fire comparison was not far off. Mouthfeel was slimy, oily, and dry with small carbonation. Drinkablity is ok if you can stand the taste.

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

12 oz bottle poured into standard shaker pint.

A - Minor white head with lots of small bubbles. Lots of carbonation that dissipated quickly leaving virtually no lacing. Color was a murky, not cloudy, plain yellow.

S - Heavy lemon, acidic orange, and a bit of wheat.

T - VERY tart to sour, almost like watered down lemon juice. Some orange did come out a bit at the backend.

M - It seems very thin and weak. It retained a lot of carbonation through the whole review. The tartness puckers the inside of the mouth.

D - It was way to tart and not very complex. I would not try this again as I barely finished this one.

2.5/5  rDev -23.8%