Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Presentation: Dark bottle with the classic retro Shiner graphics, and a helpful tutorial on how to pour a hefeweizen.

Appearance: This beer looks awesome. When swirled up as recommended, the head sort of spirals out of the bottle like soft-serve ice cream and accumulates in your glass. Golden-orange straw color, with some nice residual lacing once you take a few sips.

Smell: About what you would expect, malty yeasty citrusy goodness. Notably lacking in spice and banana-type aromas that you would find in prime examples of the style. Good because it's un-intimidating, but nothing special.

Taste: This is where this one falls flat. The taste doesn't really follow through. The overall impression is reminiscent of a typical American macro (but an above-average one), with some unique yeast and citrus notes. However, it's a great summer beer. Light, crisp mouthfeel, little to no noticeable alcohol, and just enough flavor to keep things interesting.

Notes: A hefeweizen that's proud to be an American. Have a few on hand for a cookout, and you'll probably have a few people that really enjoy it and a few that would sooner stick to Lite.

IPhantom, May 25, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Pours an somewhat opaque yellow with tremendous head.

S: Very faint citrus with some cut grass and hay flavors thrown in there (somewhat haphazardly). There's not really much that's outstanding about the smell.

T: Grass clippings and yeast. Floral flavor and lemon zest tries to peak its head out but gets suppressed by the overall yeastiness. Otherwise, somewhat watery and lager-like feel to it.

M: Very gassy and filling.

D: I wasn't too impressed with this brew. I had some difficulty just finishing the bottle. The only time I would probably drink this again is if someone offered it to me.

thekanna, May 24, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -29.7%

Glad they finally got rid of that godawful label with the two half faces merged...creeepy. Pours a very hazy medium yellow color with a large, fluffy off-white head that sticks around pretty well with slightly below average lacing.

Nose is fruity, but not yeasty ester fruity. Has notes of lemon pith and orange flesh. Noticeable wheat aroma with some clover and wildflowers. Smells ok, but not very naturally hefeweizen-like.

Taste pretty much follows suit with a overly large dose of citrus zest and wheat tang. Wow, why not let some Bavarian hefe yeast do the work instead of adding these unnatural flavors? This does not taste very good at all. I think I will be able to choke down this 12 oz'er, but no way am I ever buying a six pack of this.

twiggamortis420, May 23, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

Poured a "100th Anniversary" bottle into a standard pint glass
Big, billowy two-inch head of foam-Hazy orange in color
Aroma-Subtle citrus fruits,mown hay
Taste-Subtle lemon and wheat-very refreshing and smooth-very drinkable, you want another one before you're done. Would be an excellent session beer on a warm summer day

hosehead83, May 21, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured a dark yellow with a white, centimeter-thick head that stuck around for about thirty seconds before dissolving to a tight lace around the sides of the glass.
Couldn't really smell anything. The taste is the real deal, though. Definitely lemony (and I did not put any lemon in this one) and full of citrusy esters.

I have always enjoyed Shiner's stuff, and this brew is no exception. Very good.

JimBird, May 21, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

Had in a imperial pint glass. Pours a hazy yellow with a massive fluffy head. The head dissipates within a few minutes and leaves a good amount of lacing. Smells of grains and very faintly of sweet yeasty esters. As it warms a bit you smell some citrus. I feel like this should smell better... or smell "more" I guess. Tastes better than it smells. A very light hefe, with a clean finish and a slightly creamy mouthfeel. Considering the summers in Texas this may have been completely intentional. Theres a good amount of carbonation and a fairly strong citrus flavor. Not a bad beer at all.

drunkboxer1, May 16, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Shiner Hefeweizen

Appearance - Pale, somewhat cloudy with a medium-sized white head. A lot of carbonation.

Smell - Citrus dominates the nose, with maybe a bit of wheat coming through.

Taste - As per the smell, very lemony, with only a bit of wheat. Fortunately, as it warms up the wheat becomes a tad less shy.

Mouthfeel - Fairly thick mouthfeel, with far too much carbonation. The carbonation luckily goes down a bit after about 10 minutes.

Drinkability - Very drinkable, especially on a hot and humid day.

Notes - The high carbonation combined with the lemon makes it a very sharp-tasting beer, which is kind of weird in a hefe. This is misplaced; it's really an American Pale Wheat, not a hefe. Not as good as I remember it, but I guess I'm just getting pickier about my wheat beers. Anyway, it's still good in certain circumstances, and I certainly wouldn't turn down a free one, but it's not on my 'buy' list.

Fnord, May 13, 2009
3.4/5  rDev +4%

A- After a yeasty swirl a liquid of the utmost haze comes out of my bottle and into my glass. It's light yellow with hints of green. The head was a two fingers or fuller and this Shiner actually leaves some lacing. Not a bad start to a beer.

S- A light lemon flavor predominates the aroma. It's followed by just a touch of yeastiness, and some cracker like malt notes.

T- Some variety of flavors in the taste. There is the lemon, which spans between just shy of grapefruit pith, and rose petal floral. The malt flavor broadens out into more of a graham cracker. I notice some spice too, sort of a lighter mace or allspice.

M- Fairly creamy carbonation.

D- This is my favorite shiner beer so far, and maybe the first one that I would willfully buy another of. A decent taste and mouthfeel that doesn't overpower your tastebuds but still gives you something to chew on.

zdk9, May 13, 2009
2.58/5  rDev -21.1%

I was really disappointed with this bottle. I think maybe I kept it too long. I will try again next time I am down South and find it on tap.

The color was right on but not cloudy at all like I thought it would be. The very thin head left rapidly.

Smell was alright and was what you would expect.

Taste was just wrong.

aetnde, May 12, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -17.4%

A: pours a bright hazy yellow with a Very quickly dissipating head and a little stirred up yeast sediment throughout.

S: Fruity esters, but none so distinct you can really pinpoint them. there is a wheat background

T: Starts with a banana flavor and then moves to a more bread-like, wheat flavor and finishes with a highly carbonated lemon flavor

M: rather on the thin side with a slicker mouthfeel

D: this one from shiner didn't do it for me. No real complexities with this hefe, everything was just average at best

LyonsHead, May 10, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

I've been on a Shiner kick for the past while. I guess I'm showing a little Texas pride haha.

I cracked open the bottle and poured into a glass. Pale yellow-orange with nice cloudiness. This is one of the few Shiners that actually gives a nice foamy, white head and some good lacing.

Orange, a little spice and that great fermenting fruit smell (which I'm an absolute sucker for) really give this beer an aroma that can easily be appreciated.

Really ripe bananas with orange turns into malt and bread in the end. I can barely taste the hoppiness, but unlike most cases that doesn't bother me. The main focus is the wonderful fruitiness given by the yeast. My main complaint, though, is that it all ends too sharply and cleanly. I'm left wishing for some sort of linger from the taste. Otherwise, this would be a fantastic beer, and a flagship of the style.

The feel is certainly how I want it. Full but bright, it keeps me wanting to take another drink.

Pretty nice to drink over some time. This beer doesn't demand your absolute attention, but has plenty to offer in interest with each sip. That's what makes it a great beer to drink, especially with a good gathering and conversation. However, after a few, it starts to make me feel a bit full, which is a little unpleasant.

The Hefe is one of my all-time favorite Shiners, and I'm so glad it's easy to pick up from almost anywhere.

BlankFrank, May 07, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Slightly hazy pale yellow with visible yeast and other bits

S - Citrus, yeast, pharmacy

T - More citrus, heavy yeast taste

M - Really nice mouthfeel, smooth with good carbonation

D - It's not a stand out hefeweizen, but I would buy it again if I can't find a genuine German hef

yaegerje, Apr 27, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -2.8%

No matter how much I swirled the bottle, I got a crystal clear straw yellow fizz bomb. Small notes of clove and banana, but the smell was kind of soft and sweet and not all that attractive. There is nothing that hits you over the head, and the flavors are so mild you could drink this with just about anything and you could easily have a few if you were in a session mood.

I just want my hefes to be cloudy and this was far from it.

joshuadlight, Apr 22, 2009
3.58/5  rDev +9.5%

A: A cloudy yellow-orange. Held up to the light, I see swirls of yeast and grains of orange and lemon peel. True to style, it is unfiltered with some nice yeast in the bottle.
S: Lemony. A bit wheaty with some sweet hops.
T: Citrus and wheaty, quite telling of both the style and the orange/lemon professed on the bottle. I detect some hops bitterness and a slight alcohol taste towards the end. Not bad.
M: Very light-bodied, and almost watery. Nice carbonation with a soft bubbly feeling from the lacing.
D: Above average. The fruit peels are quite pronounced and sharply cut into the beer's natural flavors, but I can still enjoy it. It's refreshing even though its fruitiness bothers me.

MS2k, Apr 17, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -15%

This one pours a hazy, almost cloudy straw gold colour with a 1 finger head of foam. Very good head retention with good lacing.

The smell is of wheat, yeast, some bready malt, a bit of citrus. The nose fades the more I sniff. Oh well.

The taste is big on the wheat with more graininess, mild citrus tartness, and a weirdish overall underlining flavour that I can't quite put my finger on but it's putting me off.

Medium mouthfeel and carbonation, it finishes on the lightly fruity side.

Drinkability? Each sip does not inspire me to take another sip. It's not a drain pour for me but more of a chore to drink it. I'm glad I didn't have to get a 6 pack of it.

Bitterbill, Apr 16, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -7.3%

It's okay. It's not really my favorite, but sometimes it hits the spot. Citrussy, tangy. Like orange peels. The beer is cloudy orange when poured. The directions say to pour it half out into a glass, swirl it around and then pour out the gunk and yeast or whatever at the bottom into your glass.
For some reason I associate this beer with Thanksgiving and Christmas, not sure why, because it seems better suited for poolside refreshment.

lanechaffin, Apr 16, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Shiner Hefe-Weizen Review

Bottle into Clear Glass

Appearance - Gold color, appealing. Pure white head, also appealing; however, the head is more bubbly than foamy and excessively large. Good looking beer overall.

Smell - distinctive smell, never smelled anything like it. Sweet and fruity smell, but somehow the smell is also dry and skunky??? Weird. Notable smell of hops and citrus.

Taste - Ehhh, so-so. It ends up to be too bitter and fruity for my tastes. However, 1/2 a beer into it I am warming up to this beer. Not too bad!! Maybe I'll drink another...

Mouthfeel - Good, perhaps excessive, carbonation. Enjoyable.

Drinkability - Not a bad beer, I prefer more classic brewing methods. I am put off by the citrus aroma and the bitter aftertaste. Great appearance, mouthfeel and drinkability.

mcampanella, Apr 13, 2009
2.42/5  rDev -26%

12 oz bottle

A: Hazy yellow under a medium, frothy white head. Was hoping for a little more yeast presence in the appearance. Good lace and retention.

S: Crisp wheat and a hint of citrus, but I'm not getting any banana, bubble gum or clove. Very lacking aroma.

T: Crisp wheat again with a splash of citrus, but that's it. Little bit of yeast character.

M/D: Crisp, light body. Good carbonation. Nice feeling body. This beer can be had easily, but there is really no reason to. Very sub par hefe.

NCSUdo, Apr 13, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured into a glass with a wedge of lime, yeah I read the directions on the bottle and it does make a difference.

A Cloudy golden color with a white foamy head that dissipated rather quickly

S Sweet aroma I can smell the hops and a bit of citrus

T Sweet, citrusy, slightly oaty and very crisp

M A little thin, goes down smooth with a slight bitterness in the finish

D Very smooth especially if you follow the pouring instructions on the bottle. A good summertime brew

dpsychoholic69, Apr 11, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +29.1%

being a man i paid no attention to notice the directions on the label of how to pour the beer, but my wife pointed them out after i already had 2 or 3. be sure to follow them it does enhance the beer
very hazy
smells good little flowery/citrusy
definately a tasting experience, again there were more flavors in there than i could distinguish but i liked them all. really like this beer, kinda on the citrus side which i usually dont care for but it works in this case
unique textured feel
cant wait till this is back in the store again

willyumlong, Apr 09, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +21.7%

A-light yellow with just a bit of lacing

S-strong citrus medley and hops come thru with floral notes

T- sweet citrus and a light hop aftertaste

M- clean and crisp in the mouth

D- Really hit the spot,very refreshing.

Great beer to drink outside on a particularly nice day of Spring. really enjoyable Texas- style hefe

sofakingawesome, Apr 09, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +33%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought at Target of all places... only $6.50! (sorry, I love great deals)

A: nice golden color, light lacing, pretty standard...

S: A sweet lemony-organic type aroma. Little bit of hops and citrus. Very pleasant.

T: A burst of lemon and light hops. Very light and crisp with extended citrus flavors. Quite powerful... A strong initial taste with a long tapered followed flavor.

M: Cool and refreshing. A wonderful summertime/spring beer for relaxing.

D: Very high drinkability. The sweet flavors put this high ont he poundability scale.

Conclusion: This would be a great beer to let newcomers try... very familiar flavors. I love the summer flavored approach to this Hefe.

gearkraft, Apr 05, 2009
3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Pours a light yellow with a bone white head, not much lacing. Nice and cloudy from the unfiltered style

S - Very faint smell to this beer, but the scent is very nice. It's light and fruity with citrus fruit and almost a spumante-like smell. Quite nice and interesting

T - It is actually quite dry on the palate at first tasting, but after that it has a lemon/sour flavor with some spice in the background...I'm thinking coriander? It has the after taste VERY similar of a sweet champagne/spumante...so a very dry finish.

M/D - Quite a bit of carbonation and a very very light body. It is filling due to all the carbonation, and it's a "rough" beer to drink due to the carbonation.

Very nice beer...not quite a traditional hefeweizen, a little drier than usual.

VaTechHopHead, Apr 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/2 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and decent lacing. Smells of yeast cleanliness, some honey, slight lemon, and some very slight acidic aromas. Fits the style of a Hefeweizen. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with a high carbonation level. Tastes of wheat up front, then lemon and oranges, then there is an odd honey flavor, some yeast cleanliness comes through next, and some very slight sweet malt in the background. Overall, there a lot of flavors in the brew but it's still not that great. In my opinion there are way too many fruit/honey flavors and not near enough malt and/or hops to be a good beer.

Tone, Apr 01, 2009
1.65/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden color. Head quickly goes from a lttle more then a finger of head to a thin coating on top that by the time my beer is half finished, is now just around the sides of the beer. No lacing is left on sides of glass.

S - Slight yeast like scent. None of the citrusy scent I have gotten from other hefeweizens.

T - Tastes makes me reminds me of poorly made lemonade. The lemon like flavor comes up first but not that strong. But the aftertaste where some hops would be nice instead a slightly metalic taste is hovering in the background sticking in the back of my throat.

M - The lingering aftertaste sticks to the back of my mouth.

D - Maybe this is a bad bottle. I don't know. I can't see drinking this again if this is how this beer is normally. I even find myself thinking of doing a drain pour. Very disappointing.

JMBSH, Mar 30, 2009