Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Hefeweizen Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured a lightly clouded body with a two-finger head that slowly receeded and left decent lacings. The smell is more orangey than anything, a very strong orange if I can say so. Some other citric notes (lemon) and spices came through, but again a strong orange juice like smell hit my nose. The spices and fruitiness are medium at best, giving this beer a medium type body that goes down smooth. Unfortunately, a little too tart with the orange for my liking, as it overpowered the spices and any sweetness that could've been tucked in there. Not a bad hefe or a bad beer period, but there are other hefe's that I think I would go for first.

3.75/5  rDev +14.3%

12-oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A = Very slightly hazy dark yellow, small white head that quickly dissipated, no lacing at all, lots of carbonation of medium bubbles.

S = Light grains, citrus zest (lemon and orange), light note of spices, light yeasty smells. Overall relatively light and refreshing smells.

T = Very tart notes of lemon, underbaked sourdough bread, good wheat flavors. This is a very refreshing beer. I'll have to store some away for the summer.

M = Probably the biggest problem with this beer is the carbonation stings the tongue too much. If let to sit for a while this lessens, but it is a bit much. Otherwise, it has nice medium body and fair mouthcoating.

D = This is a nice light, refreshing beer. Not my favorite hefe-weizen by a long shot, but still worth drinking and could
have more than one at a sitting.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Cloudy yeast wheat color. Not much of a head but constant carbonation, nice to watch.

Aromas of lemon peel and bread.

Tastes of Clover, apple cider vinegar, metallic and apricots. I'm having a hard time deciding if the flavors work, it's interesting to say the least, but the slight sour taste is a bit too much.

Light and cisp, lots of tiny bubbles throughout that works well.

One's alright but I wouldn't want more, just a little too quirky.

2.48/5  rDev -24.4%

Cloudy apricot color with a thin, quickly diminishing white head. Highly carbonated, slightly too much in my opinion, and a coppery, yeasty smell along with spices. Standard spiced hefeweizen taste, but nothing too outstanding. I prefer Shiner bock to this beer, and thought this was nothing special. On the positive side, I didn’t find an overpowering clove taste which I don’t like in some hefeweizens.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: Pours nicely into a wheat glass with a nice 2 finger head which recedes rather quickly to a thin lace. A normal wheat beer appearance of cloudy yellow.

Smell: Nothing to wild here just wheat, a touch of lemon and I swear a smell just a slight note of pear.

Taste: As with the last few wheat beers I have had, this one was quite austere. The taste just lacked the complexity that I figured this beer may have. I can taste just a hint of honey and just a small amount of lemon but there isn't a whole lot there. Simple.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation on this one which I was delighted with but the aftertaste is a bit tart.

Drinkability: I got this in a sampler from a friend and I wouldn't plan on buying it again. Although it was refreshing, it didn't have the cut in taste that I was looking for.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz. bottle in a weisen glass.

A - Nice golden yellow with constant carbonation. The white head that is abundant at first disappears quickly.

S - Sweet and grainy.

T - Very citrusy. Graprefruit flavors are the most abundant.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - It's ok. I have had many hefeweizen's that were better.

2.23/5  rDev -32%

Poured into a 14oz weizen glass.

A - Pale yellow brew with lots of rising suds. Very little head with poor retention. Little to no lacing. Completely transparent, this is obviously filtered. Looks like a pale wheat ale or maybe a blonde.

S - Lemon and other citrus notes fill the aroma. Very sweet.

T - Slightly bready, but mostly bitter. A bit sour in the aftertaste. Citrus tinge and a bit of yeast, but there are no redeeming qualities here. Reminds me of rotted fruit.

M - Very thin and light bodied. Decent carbonation, but everything is killed by the unpleasant aftertaste and residue.

D - I had to choke this one down. Unlike any other hefe I've ever tried. This is not for me. Maybe it has some good things going for it, but when I think to myself "Hmmm, I could really go for a good Hefeweizen", this will never even enter my thoughts. Not recommended.

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%

Acquired via trade from RickSawyer, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly of wheat with a little bit of spice and light malt. There’s also a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very bready with flavors of wheat and grain with some spice and lemon mixed in. The malt character is very thin for the style and there’s very little sweetness. I know being overly sweet isn’t a good thing but with this style you normally like to see more than what this beer has. The hops presence is mild and there doesn’t seem to be a very good balance amongst all of the flavors. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, this one isn’t a very good representation of style at all and overall I wouldn’t drink this beer again if I had much of a choice.

3.13/5  rDev -4.6%

I have Texan friends so inevitably there's a Shiner beer around often. I've never had this one before, seeing it in my buddy's fridge seemed like it was worth a shot. It was exactly that.

Appearance: light, yellow and murky, wee head ontop. Taste of lemon, wheat and slight hint of honey. It was easy drinking and did me fine. Definitely worth a shot.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured a hazy yellow with a slight orange tinge. Nice, large, long-lasting white head. Fruity nose with lots of citrus and not much yeast or wheat. Light-to-medium body. Very lemony. Not much wheat character and no typical weizen flavor. Tart. If I didn’t know this was a hefeweizen, I probably wouldn’t have guessed it. Not bad, but not good, either. Bit of creaminess in the mouthfeel but otherwise average. Drinkability was also average.

Not my favorite hefe. Just seems a bit off. Lacking in wheat character. It’s not bad, but there are far better American wheats out there in my opinion.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a rather hazy pale yellow-peach color. Visible carbonation rises to the top. Thick, dense, and foamy white head is a bit rocky too.

Smell: Has a nice aroma of lemons and wheat, along with some sweeter acidic fruity aromas.

Taste: Lots of oranges and wheat, with lemons too. A slight bit of yeast, but I would have preferred more. Very little spicyness in it. Still ok in flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and smooth (maybe a bit more than I'd like for this type of beer), with distinct carbonation. Comes across a tad watery...

Drinkability: Easy to drink, good abv; though the mild lemon aftertaste becomes very noticable after a while and can become annoying.

Somewhere between a Hefeweizen and an American Wheat Ale. It's lacking many of the flavors (especially spice-wise) and other elements I'd expect in a Hefeweizen. Nevertheless it's a decent beer that's certainly worth trying for the price.

3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Although I usually prefer lagers, this is one ale style I truly love. Nice head that quickly dissipates.Kind of fruity aroma. Wonderful cloudy appearance. Not as good as a German weissbier but, pretty good all the same. Actually, more like a witbier than a true hefeweizen.

4.22/5  rDev +28.7%

The citrusy overtones really open your senses on the first smell of this beer, While never pouring into a glass, but beer tastes great right out of the bottle. Great summer beer with a light mouthfeel and a clean taste that will cool you down and make you want more. Definatly shiner has hit a spot with this beer and should be recomended for hefe-wiezen fans and beer drinkers in general. The availability of this beer is limited to non-existent in resturaunts, but it can be found in most grocery stores.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Spoetzl sets the standard for bland craft-ish beer with Shiner Bock. Likewise, American wheats beers set the standard for bland craft-ish styles. Let's see what happens when the two combine forces.

Appearance: The pour is cloudy yellow with a large foamy white head.

Smell: There's a bit of clove in the aroma, along with some yeast and bready malts.

Taste: The flavor profile is very much in line with the nose. Yeast and a tiny hint of phenols come in first, the mid-palate brings clove and soft malts, and it finishes with a touch of grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: It's light to medium-bodied and wet with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: It won't change you life, but it beats Widmer and Pyramid. I'm pleasantly surprised.

3.85/5  rDev +17.4%

Shiner Hefe-Weizen is a real thirst quencher on a hot day. It's light and sweet. It pours up a cloudy yellow with a creamy head that dissipates rapidly. It smells citrusy and malty with no hops detected. It had a slight sour finish with a hint of hops at the end. I thought it was a bit thin, but not bad. A few years ago, I visited the brewery and sampled this in the tasting room. I've liked it since then.

4.05/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into my favorite weissbier glass.

Appearance: Starts out like a kristal weizen, but when you rouse the wheat, it becomes hazy golden. Head lasts for a good while.

Smell: Slightly fruity and wheaty, with those lovely lemon characters.

Taste: Sweet and citrusy, with a banana afternote.

Mouthfeel: Smooth if the yeast is roused.

Drinkability: While this isn’t as good Franziskaner or Paulaner, I don’t think people give this beer enough credit. It is a good hefeweizen made in the finest tradition of weissbier brewing. As a Texan and hefe lover, I salute it!

3.55/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle into a pint glass (not at my own place so I can't choose the glassware!)

Decent, but not great. Pours... oddly, head poor for the genre, a sickly pale with plenty of drifting sediment for that "sea monkey" effect :) But that's not necessarily a bad thing; what marks it down is the head and colour, not what's contained within.

Light citrus aroma which doesn't really prepare you for what's to come. Taste... very citrusy but with just enough smoothness to be pleasant. The mouthfeel is (as someone else said) thin but the carbonation balances it out just right - that's the real strength here. After a while it loses its bite, which increases the drinkability factor.

I'd never go out of my way to look for it but if I fancy a wheat beer and it's available, I wouldn't say no.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Bottle poured into glass stein.

This was a trade I made with a buddy. He gave me this one for a petes wicked cream ale.

Appearance was cloudy light gold color.
Smell was good not too much of anything really though.
Taste was wow. Very citrus tasting. Strong sweet tangy kinda. I liked it.
Mouthfeel was thin but was excellent for this brew.
Drinkability was average. I dont know if I would pound a few of these guys down. A couple I mean... Thats okay.

I bought a six-pack of Shiner Hefe-Weizen while traveling in western Washington. Poured in to a pint tumbler, according to manufacturer directions and consumed with lemon..

Pours a yellow gold color and is hazy. Foamy white head is moderately resilient.

Smell is fruity with some soft citrus notes.

Taste is sweet and fruity with some honey sweetness.

Mouth feel is clean and refershing.

Very drinkable much like a Henry's Hefe http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/719/2132
but I think Henry's is better.

The beer also bears a resemblance to Shiner bock. An egg or dairy flavor when warmed.

3.6/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a cloudy yellow color with nice head that stayed around for a while. Taste is very citrusy and refreshing. Definitely a lot thinner than a German Hefeweizen such as Franziskaner. Extremely smooth and high on the drinkability scale. Aroma is citrusy and grassy.

3.23/5  rDev -1.5%

My only other experience with Shiner,has been their Bock,which I always thought was slightly below average for the type.This one on the other hand I consider to be slightly above other American Hefe-Weizens(I have had,at least).I enjoyed the three I had and would most likely try it again given the chance,but seeing as I got it while in Texas and I have not seen it in the State I live in (Tn.),I might not get the chance...

3.3/5  rDev +0.6%

This review is based on the attempt from a brewery that is a Lone Star staple and that has been expanding it's choice the past 10 years. Pours a light golden, hazy color. The aroma is pretty weak but you do get some lemon, wheat and an "old" smell. Not the norm but oh well. The taste is crisp. There is the lemon, grass and a bit of spice (just at the end). This is not anywhere near the top Hefe's and nor is it a great attempt at the style. But for those of us you don't ever want to drink a Shiner Bock again and this is the only other non-mega brew on tap at every eatery in town, it's very good. You can easily put these down all night.

2.53/5  rDev -22.9%

I tried this beer taking a taste test of a few wheat beers i found in my area. This beer had a heavy flavor of lemon and other citrus fruit. The mouthfeel was adequate being it was not a dunkel style and more for the average tastebuds. It would be reasonable drinkable for a session beer though nothing impressive.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours cloudy, slight yellow/amber pretty much like a hefe should. Is this stuff filtered? Not much sediment if any.

Light citrusy smell w/no banana, Where is the bubble gum?

Nice taste w'/light carbonation - OK enough

Easy enough to drink but not noteworthy.

I know, a lot of people bitch about "bubble gum" flavors in beer but that is one of my guages that I look for in a hefe. Shiner ain't got it or it is imperceptible to me. Also little or no sediment.???

Someone said in a previous review that this not a true hefe...I agree.

Ok for the price and is drinkable enough but if I was looking for a hefe, it would be elsewhere.

3.08/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours out a hazy orange color with a smaller white head that drops quickly.

Smell. Lots of citrus aromas of lemon and orange. Also has small but nice tartness to it. Under is some grainy smells that gives it a rawness.

Taste. It a bit tart, almost to a souring sensation. More citrus flavors come out with lemon and orange. Aftertaste is also tart.

Mouthfeel. Body is light and crisp with lots of carbonation.

Overall, an enjoyable beer, but not a great example of the style. So much tart flavors, it almost tastes unbeerlike. I know i will have this in the future, but it is not one i seek out for.

Shiner Hefeweizen from Spoetzl Brewery