Shiner Hefeweizen - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,058 | Reviews: 487
2.91/5  rDev -11.3%

I drank this beer in a nonic glass. Had a nice head which did not last and did not leave much lacing on the glass. Smell was a little hard to place outside of the citrus notes in it.

I was not very impressed by the taste. Had an odd finish and aftertaste. Almost like it was a little old. Alright, but definitely not one of my favorite hefe-weizens.

2.93/5  rDev -10.7%

A - Murky yellow, white 1 finger head.

S - Citrus nose, sour notes, not really that great.

T - I can really pick up the citrus and honey additions. More lively flavor then the standard Hefe. Sour finish.

M - Fairly light, as it should be. Well carbonated. Refreshing.

D - Not sure on this, sourness is kind of bothersome. ABV is pretty normal, so sessioning should be fine.

I have had a fair share of HEFE's and this one seems kind of off to me. The sour notes are present throughout. Its not horrible, but nothing earth shaking either.

3.38/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into weizen glass.

A - Hazy golden yellow with moderate head that quickly disappears. Some lacing.

S - The wheat malt hides in the background, but it is overridden completely by the honey and citrus as stated on the label. Mostly lemon with faint orange peel. The honey is a strange aroma to say the least.

T - At first a light malty taste, but the citrus kicks in and the whole thing is finished with honey. A fairly tart and sour beer with little of a malt profile and more importantly the usual yeast contribution to hefe's is all but absent. Lemon beer really, slightly sweetened with honey. The honey throws the beer out of synch even further.

M - A little thin for a hefe, and moderately carbonated. More prickly than I prefer.

D - One or two is nothing great, but it isn't that bad either. Beyond that, the citrus takes over and the sourness is hard to look past.

This was actually my introduction to hefeweizens, and for a while one of my favorite beers. Everytime I drink it though it gets more and more sour, and after having German hefe's Shiner doesn't really hold up.

2.16/5  rDev -34.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Standard head with moderate staying power. Color is a a hazy yellow.

Smell has a lemony chemical smell, like a cleaning product. A hint of malt tries to make itself known. Taste is a sour lemon rind and a bit soapy.

This has a light body and thin carbonation. If it wasn't for the flavor, this could be a refreshing drink. I did not enjoy this one at all, and was on the verge of a drain pour.

3.45/5  rDev +5.2%

Been drinking this summer brew for a while now. Haven't commented on this one in a while, so.... First, I'm sort of a Shiner fan. Their product is certainly not the finest out there but it is a good product for the cost and living here in TEXAS it is most available. When I was a young man we made fun of Shiner. It was the type beer that a bar would offer on "all you can drink" night. Somewhere along the way, Shiner decided to upgrade the product and broaden it's appeal. Congrats to management on a job well done.

Pours cloudy, of course. Has the necessary citrus and honey accents. A decent head that remains for a short time. Pretty creamy. And, all in all, is really not that remarkable. Except for the drinkablity. On a hot summer Texas day this stuff hits the spot. Not a great Hefe, I guess. But I find most Hefes too sweet and kind of over the top. This is just good, drinkable beer. I like it. That's enough...

3.66/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Shiner Hefeweizen
Bottle Inspection: First time I've seen the new orange label, and it looks SHARP! Notes it is a Wheat beer brewed with orange and lemon peels with clover honey added. Pouring instructions on the back say to pour half, swirl the yeast, pour the rest, and add a lemon slice. I followed all but the lemon slice. I can't find a date or an abv though. Still, really nice orange sunrise retro look.

Aroma: Wet grain/raw wheat with a twist of citric and a yeasty element. Pretty straight forward.

Appearance: Very hazy golden yellow sun with a partly cloudy cover that wisps of lace.

Flavor: Well, let's get this out of the way: It's no Live Oak Hefe. Still, it's a refreshing beer with lots of flavor. Yeast really plays a strong role with the gritty wheat earthiness giving the beer some substance. The twist of citric at the end is at a really nice level where you can taste it, but it's subtle. I got some metallic flavor on the first few sips but it fades rapidly.

Mouthfeel: Strong carbonation, a bit too strong for my tastes, rough texture, medium body.

Overall Impression: The new packaging got me to buy a sixer in my local HEB, and I don't regret having it around. As it gets warmer this will make a great lawnmower/hang out around the house beer.

3.33/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a glass from the bottle. Yellow-Orange color to the beer. Poured about a one finger head which quickly disappeared. Cloudy, opaque appearance in the glass.

Smelled the fruity orange aroma and some spices. Some hops there too I think. Taste was crisp and bitter with orange taste underlying it all. Shiner beers remind me of Yuengling beers. They are a nice beer to drink if you are going out for the evening and you dont want BMC or a light beer. When you compare them to that they are fine beers, but a notch below the more expensive micro beers. This beer is not bad. Its strengths are the look and smell of the beer, but after that the taste is just above average.

2.76/5  rDev -15.9%

A =darker yellow, not a long standing head

S = Light grains, citrus spices, and something else... maybe the ever elusive clove like smell? not sure

T = citrus and maybe even a bit floral in the taste. not one of my favorites. very bighting on the tongue

M = lots of carbonation.

D = eh not my favorite from shiner thats for true

3.67/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a lightly clouded body with a two-finger head that slowly receeded and left decent lacings. The smell is more orangey than anything, a very strong orange if I can say so. Some other citric notes (lemon) and spices came through, but again a strong orange juice like smell hit my nose. The spices and fruitiness are medium at best, giving this beer a medium type body that goes down smooth. Unfortunately, a little too tart with the orange for my liking, as it overpowered the spices and any sweetness that could've been tucked in there. Not a bad hefe or a bad beer period, but there are other hefe's that I think I would go for first.

3.74/5  rDev +14%

12-oz bottle poured into a Weizen glass.

A = Very slightly hazy dark yellow, small white head that quickly dissipated, no lacing at all, lots of carbonation of medium bubbles.

S = Light grains, citrus zest (lemon and orange), light note of spices, light yeasty smells. Overall relatively light and refreshing smells.

T = Very tart notes of lemon, underbaked sourdough bread, good wheat flavors. This is a very refreshing beer. I'll have to store some away for the summer.

M = Probably the biggest problem with this beer is the carbonation stings the tongue too much. If let to sit for a while this lessens, but it is a bit much. Otherwise, it has nice medium body and fair mouthcoating.

D = This is a nice light, refreshing beer. Not my favorite hefe-weizen by a long shot, but still worth drinking and could
have more than one at a sitting.

3.31/5  rDev +0.9%

Cloudy yeast wheat color. Not much of a head but constant carbonation, nice to watch.

Aromas of lemon peel and bread.

Tastes of Clover, apple cider vinegar, metallic and apricots. I'm having a hard time deciding if the flavors work, it's interesting to say the least, but the slight sour taste is a bit too much.

Light and cisp, lots of tiny bubbles throughout that works well.

One's alright but I wouldn't want more, just a little too quirky.

2.46/5  rDev -25%

Cloudy apricot color with a thin, quickly diminishing white head. Highly carbonated, slightly too much in my opinion, and a coppery, yeasty smell along with spices. Standard spiced hefeweizen taste, but nothing too outstanding. I prefer Shiner bock to this beer, and thought this was nothing special. On the positive side, I didn’t find an overpowering clove taste which I don’t like in some hefeweizens.

2.73/5  rDev -16.8%

Appearance: Pours nicely into a wheat glass with a nice 2 finger head which recedes rather quickly to a thin lace. A normal wheat beer appearance of cloudy yellow.

Smell: Nothing to wild here just wheat, a touch of lemon and I swear a smell just a slight note of pear.

Taste: As with the last few wheat beers I have had, this one was quite austere. The taste just lacked the complexity that I figured this beer may have. I can taste just a hint of honey and just a small amount of lemon but there isn't a whole lot there. Simple.

Mouthfeel: Just the right amount of carbonation on this one which I was delighted with but the aftertaste is a bit tart.

Drinkability: I got this in a sampler from a friend and I wouldn't plan on buying it again. Although it was refreshing, it didn't have the cut in taste that I was looking for.

2.9/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz. bottle in a weisen glass.

A - Nice golden yellow with constant carbonation. The white head that is abundant at first disappears quickly.

S - Sweet and grainy.

T - Very citrusy. Graprefruit flavors are the most abundant.

M - Light bodied with good carbonation.

D - It's ok. I have had many hefeweizen's that were better.

2.28/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured into a 14oz weizen glass.

A - Pale yellow brew with lots of rising suds. Very little head with poor retention. Little to no lacing. Completely transparent, this is obviously filtered. Looks like a pale wheat ale or maybe a blonde.

S - Lemon and other citrus notes fill the aroma. Very sweet.

T - Slightly bready, but mostly bitter. A bit sour in the aftertaste. Citrus tinge and a bit of yeast, but there are no redeeming qualities here. Reminds me of rotted fruit.

M - Very thin and light bodied. Decent carbonation, but everything is killed by the unpleasant aftertaste and residue.

D - I had to choke this one down. Unlike any other hefe I've ever tried. This is not for me. Maybe it has some good things going for it, but when I think to myself "Hmmm, I could really go for a good Hefeweizen", this will never even enter my thoughts. Not recommended.

2.55/5  rDev -22.3%

Acquired via trade from RickSawyer, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a pale gold color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mostly of wheat with a little bit of spice and light malt. There’s also a touch of hops.

T: The taste is very bready with flavors of wheat and grain with some spice and lemon mixed in. The malt character is very thin for the style and there’s very little sweetness. I know being overly sweet isn’t a good thing but with this style you normally like to see more than what this beer has. The hops presence is mild and there doesn’t seem to be a very good balance amongst all of the flavors. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: Very crisp but not very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, this one isn’t a very good representation of style at all and overall I wouldn’t drink this beer again if I had much of a choice.

3.15/5  rDev -4%

I have Texan friends so inevitably there's a Shiner beer around often. I've never had this one before, seeing it in my buddy's fridge seemed like it was worth a shot. It was exactly that.

Appearance: light, yellow and murky, wee head ontop. Taste of lemon, wheat and slight hint of honey. It was easy drinking and did me fine. Definitely worth a shot.

2.95/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured a hazy yellow with a slight orange tinge. Nice, large, long-lasting white head. Fruity nose with lots of citrus and not much yeast or wheat. Light-to-medium body. Very lemony. Not much wheat character and no typical weizen flavor. Tart. If I didn’t know this was a hefeweizen, I probably wouldn’t have guessed it. Not bad, but not good, either. Bit of creaminess in the mouthfeel but otherwise average. Drinkability was also average.

Not my favorite hefe. Just seems a bit off. Lacking in wheat character. It’s not bad, but there are far better American wheats out there in my opinion.

3.35/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: Pours a rather hazy pale yellow-peach color. Visible carbonation rises to the top. Thick, dense, and foamy white head is a bit rocky too.

Smell: Has a nice aroma of lemons and wheat, along with some sweeter acidic fruity aromas.

Taste: Lots of oranges and wheat, with lemons too. A slight bit of yeast, but I would have preferred more. Very little spicyness in it. Still ok in flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and smooth (maybe a bit more than I'd like for this type of beer), with distinct carbonation. Comes across a tad watery...

Drinkability: Easy to drink, good abv; though the mild lemon aftertaste becomes very noticable after a while and can become annoying.

Somewhere between a Hefeweizen and an American Wheat Ale. It's lacking many of the flavors (especially spice-wise) and other elements I'd expect in a Hefeweizen. Nevertheless it's a decent beer that's certainly worth trying for the price.

3.95/5  rDev +20.4%

Although I usually prefer lagers, this is one ale style I truly love. Nice head that quickly dissipates.Kind of fruity aroma. Wonderful cloudy appearance. Not as good as a German weissbier but, pretty good all the same. Actually, more like a witbier than a true hefeweizen.

4.18/5  rDev +27.4%

The citrusy overtones really open your senses on the first smell of this beer, While never pouring into a glass, but beer tastes great right out of the bottle. Great summer beer with a light mouthfeel and a clean taste that will cool you down and make you want more. Definatly shiner has hit a spot with this beer and should be recomended for hefe-wiezen fans and beer drinkers in general. The availability of this beer is limited to non-existent in resturaunts, but it can be found in most grocery stores.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

Spoetzl sets the standard for bland craft-ish beer with Shiner Bock. Likewise, American wheats beers set the standard for bland craft-ish styles. Let's see what happens when the two combine forces.

Appearance: The pour is cloudy yellow with a large foamy white head.

Smell: There's a bit of clove in the aroma, along with some yeast and bready malts.

Taste: The flavor profile is very much in line with the nose. Yeast and a tiny hint of phenols come in first, the mid-palate brings clove and soft malts, and it finishes with a touch of grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: It's light to medium-bodied and wet with soft carbonation.

Drinkability: It won't change you life, but it beats Widmer and Pyramid. I'm pleasantly surprised.

3.83/5  rDev +16.8%

Shiner Hefe-Weizen is a real thirst quencher on a hot day. It's light and sweet. It pours up a cloudy yellow with a creamy head that dissipates rapidly. It smells citrusy and malty with no hops detected. It had a slight sour finish with a hint of hops at the end. I thought it was a bit thin, but not bad. A few years ago, I visited the brewery and sampled this in the tasting room. I've liked it since then.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bottle into my favorite weissbier glass.

Appearance: Starts out like a kristal weizen, but when you rouse the wheat, it becomes hazy golden. Head lasts for a good while.

Smell: Slightly fruity and wheaty, with those lovely lemon characters.

Taste: Sweet and citrusy, with a banana afternote.

Mouthfeel: Smooth if the yeast is roused.

Drinkability: While this isn’t as good Franziskaner or Paulaner, I don’t think people give this beer enough credit. It is a good hefeweizen made in the finest tradition of weissbier brewing. As a Texan and hefe lover, I salute it!

3.52/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle into a pint glass (not at my own place so I can't choose the glassware!)

Decent, but not great. Pours... oddly, head poor for the genre, a sickly pale with plenty of drifting sediment for that "sea monkey" effect :) But that's not necessarily a bad thing; what marks it down is the head and colour, not what's contained within.

Light citrus aroma which doesn't really prepare you for what's to come. Taste... very citrusy but with just enough smoothness to be pleasant. The mouthfeel is (as someone else said) thin but the carbonation balances it out just right - that's the real strength here. After a while it loses its bite, which increases the drinkability factor.

I'd never go out of my way to look for it but if I fancy a wheat beer and it's available, I wouldn't say no.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Hefeweizen from Spoetzl Brewery