Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Bohemian Black LagerBohemian Black Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-02-2006)
Reviews by Rostie:
4.5/5  rDev +30.8%

Rostie, Feb 03, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

Schwarzbier is a style you dont see a whole lot of and well to be honest I didnt think this beer would be real traditional, but I gotta say I liked the subtle qualities of this.Poured into my Monchshof schwarzbier glass a deep cola color with a fluffy off white head that left shotty lace as it settled.German malt aromas,iron and metallic with some bitter chocolate and earth,with a slight roasted nut element,flavors are quite earthy and dry with some metallic notes and unsweetened chocolate.Toastiness shows thru as I drink more and its quaffable,not bad,not bad at all.

oberon, Jan 06, 2009

Turbo, Dec 08, 2013

t2grogan, Oct 05, 2014
3.15/5  rDev -8.4%

Nice russet color with a small, light brown head.

Biscuit, baking chocolate, and coffeeish aroma.

Somewhat bland cocoa powdery taste that is also a little watery.

Not distinguished in any way and has a muddled character. Pass if you want a good craft beer. Woe is me Shiner.

brownbeer, Jan 30, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +25%

One finger of dark head sits on this dark, molasses colored beer. It leaves a fractured lace and pushes up aromas of fruity hops, light roasted chocolate, and molasses. Shiner 97 has a killer schwarz taste. Light berry notes play over dark but smooth malt base. Very light chocolate and molasses tones with no roasted or otherwise harsh flavors at all. Very simple and delicious. Mouthfeel is smooth and full-bodied with minimal carbonation. Shiner is 2 for 2 with these special releases.

JudgeRoughneck, Nov 23, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

"Shiner" Bohemian Black Lager. Brewed by Spoetzl Brewery Shiner Texas. 4.9% alcohol poured into a Pilsner glass.

A- Pours a almost opaque black fluid that produces a dull amber red hue when put up to the sunlight. nice off tan tan head foams up in almost a cola like fashion that slowly falls to a constant quarter inch head leaving some patchy lacing.

S- Smell is of rich chocolate malts and creamy coffee. Has a light scent of tangy hops in the citrus form... very vague.

T- An excellent mix of malts and hops. Upfrontr is a dark roast of burnt malts and barley. Second is a thin flavor of raw coffee grinds and cream. Mouthfeel is ultra smooth with a tongue pleasing carbonation that dances over the taste buds with ease.

D- One hell of a Schwarzbier that I would love to get alot of. Has beautiful drinkablity and a flavor that only makes you want more... cheers!

wesbrownyeah, Oct 02, 2010

tbryan5, Jan 27, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -7%

A - almost opaque, not much head (why is it that some create so much more even with a smooth pour?)

S - dark malts, mild bitter chocolate and toffee

T - not as bitter as it smells, dark malt with mild coffee like stout

M - general Shiner mouth feel - quite mild for something this dark

D - yes, but not what is expected from the looks

I like a good dark beer and this has some of the flavor but by the end of it I was not tasting much. I like something that keeps it taste till the end of the bottle/glass. For as dark as it looks, I did expect more on the nose and taste.

txbrewer, Mar 26, 2011
3.45/5  rDev +0.3%

Pouring from the bottle into a pint glass yielded a dark-black body with amber-red corners and a tan head that fizzed up just like cola and disappeared. Aroma is of sweet raisins. Medium bodied with flavors of vanilla and roasted malt. Finishes clean. This is not bad, but could be done better.

blackearth, Jul 13, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +10.5%

After trying Shiner Bock, I wasn't sure I was up for this offering. This is the second in a series of commemerative beers, leading up to the 100th anniversary of the brewery. Bohemian Black Beer is a pretty good beer. A black color with a thin head. It had a dark, roasted coffee aroma. A coffee taste, with some bread detectable. A little thin in the mouth, but quite drinkable.

lordofthewiens, Oct 25, 2006

SunDevilBeer, Aug 03, 2014
4.35/5  rDev +26.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. The label has a brief description of the beer but no ABV or freshness date.

Appearance: Its body has a dark almost black color with deep crimson highlights. On top sits a tall creamy light tan head which is long lasting and keeps a small covering to the last sip. Along the way down the glass it makes nice lacing.

Smell: It has a dark roasted and toasted maltiness as well as some sweet candy like notes as well.

Taste/Palate: The flavor is right on with a nice mix of dark roasted maltiness and hop bitterness. There are notes of dark or burnt toast, dark roasted coffee with an underlined sweetness like dark caramel and a slight hint of cherry chough drop. Hops are light but do offer some mellow bitterness. The finish is a little roasty with pleasant bitterness. Its palate feels smooth and mildly carbonated.

Notes: This is a solid example of the style. It's dark and tasty yet supper easy to drink.

generallee, Sep 27, 2010

nstroup, Oct 28, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +39%

It's as dark as motor oil but smoother than a baby's ass! This is an excellent brew that I'd rarely pass up. When I first started drinking beers that went beyond "Generic Light" and "Generic Ice," this was one of my first dark beers. While I was still acquiring a taste for beers that weren't American Light Lagers, this one blew me away. A few years later, this is still at the top of my list.

A- I've been pouring these into common pint glasses. The beer is a beautifully deep black with reddish-mahogany highlights, visible if you hold it up to a light. I also has a dark head.

S- There's a decent sent of roasted malts here. I got some coffee as well.

T- The taste of this beer is astonishing. Despite it's dark color, it is exceptionally light. The coffee and chocolate flavors hit you very quickly up front. I didn't find this very hoppy. But perhaps my addiction to Imperial IPAs sways my judgement here. The malts really come through in the rear.

M- Easily one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Again, despite being so dark, it is very light. It's a great beer to give people who think that all dark beers taste the same and are heavy. It'll teach them a thing about real beers. It does not fill you up and with the low alcohol content, you can easily drink several of these without having a problem. I also found this to be minimally carbonated. I've had several lambics recently which were much more heavily carbonated.

This is an overall spectacular brew. I rank it amongst my favorites. It is the lightest of the beers I regularly drink. I tend to lean towards Stone Double Bastard and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA. When I want something refreshing and easy to drink, this is my beer of choice.

Nature777, Aug 05, 2010

SmellsofMahagony, May 18, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle pours a clear dark brown body with a small beige head. Some scattered lace is left on the glass. Aroma is a bit subdued, but has some toasted malt, baked dark bread, chocolate, and a hint of spicy hop. Medium body and average carbonation. Taste is spot on for style, with notes of fresh baked brown bread, spicy hops, and a hint of chocolate. Nothing to write home about but a solid example of the style.

merlin48, Aug 10, 2008
3.29/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 ounce bottle, part ofthe newly arrived Shiner mix 12 pack box.

Pours near black, darker tan head that stays a spell. Leaving moderate strands of stick.

Nose is mildly of dark malts and a hint of coffee.

Dark malts, some dusty dark chocolate and some cola and thats about it. On the thin and watery side. Nothing special going on here as seems to be the case with all the shiner brews. Almost craft beer. One and done..

Billolick, May 14, 2013
2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

I poured the beer into a nonic glass. The color was a very dark brown, not quite black. There was very little head and what head there was, actually dissipated quickly.

The smell was difficult to place at first, but after a little consultation, it was clear as day. Wet dog. I don't know if this was a bad batch or something happened to the bottle or what, but the smell was overpowering once I figured it out.

And oddly enough, the taste was actually a little distinct from the smell. There was a slight coffee hint with the roasted malts and a little sweet, then a bitterness to finish it off from the hops. The bitterness was actually pretty well balanced. I would definitely be more jazzed about the beer if the smell had not ruined it for me.

nem2006, May 31, 2008

nothunder, May 01, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer pours a black color with red highlights and a tan head. The aroma is roasted malt, but it is a little bit faint. I really expected more from the aroma. The flavor is much stronger. I get the expected roasted malt but I am also getting quite a bit of smoke. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

I have had this beer numerous times over the years and it has always been my favorite Shiner beer. I never remembered the smoke in the beer before, so I am not sure if I always just missed it or if this batch was smokier than others in the past.

Mora2000, Sep 17, 2010
3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Thank you shan8454 for this one in trade.

Appearance: Black, with about one finger of a beige head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild smell of malts and hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium to full bodied. Taste of roasted malts, hops and mild taste of coffee.

Overall: Good Lager! I would have this one again.

Cavanaghty, Jan 29, 2014