Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Bohemian Black LagerBohemian Black Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-02-2006)

FreshmanPour77, Dec 03, 2011

Pretty good stuff. Nice head, lots of wonderful roasted malt aroma. Very dark. To me it taste kind of like Guiness, kind of like Sam Adams BL w/o the piney citrus taste. I notice a chocolate/burnt coffee taste, but its all about the roasted malt. Jmho, this is the best beer Shiner makes.

lanechaffin, Apr 11, 2009

justinm4bama, Dec 06, 2011

J85jam, May 13, 2014

jhenson1, Dec 17, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +41.9%

I drink this faithfully on a weekly basis. Love the extra darkness. And the chocolateyfrothy(new word?) head. My favorite is served in a 24 oz. frosted extra stout mug.
Always will be my go to beer.
I drink this with all sorts of grilled meats...especially boneless beef ribs.

Moose44, Mar 08, 2011
4.83/5  rDev +40.4%

A- Very nice appearance, with a decent foamy head, leaves a nice lace on the glass. Not quite as black as Koestritzer or Sam Adams Black Lager, but a very dark brown, which looks black unless you hold it up to the light.

S- Nice crisp dark malt smell--not as sweet and carmelly as SA's BL. Closer in aroma I think to Koestritzer, the classic German example.

T- I'm not a Shiner fan, but this beer is very tastey--extremely well ballanced, and closer, in my opinion to German schwarz than SA's BL. Has a nice crisp bite, from the hops,but smooth, without any bitterness from the black malt. This too fits the "black pilsner" category--you would not know for sure it was black if you were blindfolded. More interesting, in my opinion, than other lager styles--due to its darkness--but tastes nothing like a stout or porter, which it resembles. This really is a great example of Schwarzbier--the best bottled American one I have had.

M- Has a lighter beer feel, much like a Helles or even a Pils--which is strikingly according to style. If one is expecting a stout it may taste thinned out--but that is what it is supposed to be-a light, smooth, but intensely dark beer.

D- Again, like German lagers typically are, this is a very drinkable, "session" type beer, which you could have several, and not feel the worse for it. The ABV is not listed on the bottle, but it can't be much over (or under) 4.5% by the way it tastes. This really is a great style, well captured here, for those who won't be fooled by it's color. Don't expect a porter or stout--think while you drink German or Czech!

AnalogReigns, Mar 10, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +39%

It's as dark as motor oil but smoother than a baby's ass! This is an excellent brew that I'd rarely pass up. When I first started drinking beers that went beyond "Generic Light" and "Generic Ice," this was one of my first dark beers. While I was still acquiring a taste for beers that weren't American Light Lagers, this one blew me away. A few years later, this is still at the top of my list.

A- I've been pouring these into common pint glasses. The beer is a beautifully deep black with reddish-mahogany highlights, visible if you hold it up to a light. I also has a dark head.

S- There's a decent sent of roasted malts here. I got some coffee as well.

T- The taste of this beer is astonishing. Despite it's dark color, it is exceptionally light. The coffee and chocolate flavors hit you very quickly up front. I didn't find this very hoppy. But perhaps my addiction to Imperial IPAs sways my judgement here. The malts really come through in the rear.

M- Easily one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Again, despite being so dark, it is very light. It's a great beer to give people who think that all dark beers taste the same and are heavy. It'll teach them a thing about real beers. It does not fill you up and with the low alcohol content, you can easily drink several of these without having a problem. I also found this to be minimally carbonated. I've had several lambics recently which were much more heavily carbonated.

This is an overall spectacular brew. I rank it amongst my favorites. It is the lightest of the beers I regularly drink. I tend to lean towards Stone Double Bastard and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA. When I want something refreshing and easy to drink, this is my beer of choice.

Nature777, Aug 05, 2010

johndonor3, Feb 17, 2013

SteveMcQueen36, Apr 21, 2014

oliviabitting, Dec 28, 2012

Joshai, Feb 09, 2014

Twpsyn, May 07, 2014

JoKo, Aug 04, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +35.2%

Ok I'm Sorry but this is be best black lager I have ever drank in the U.S. I have been to 21 countries and have tasted a lot of beer. But without a doubt this beer is smooth and satisfying; it taste just like a few beers in Ireland I had!!! I live in Madison, Alabama and we can not buy it around here, I have to drive north for about two hours to get it and its worth the trip!!! I wish I could find it closer!! I guess why I like it do much is because it reminds me of a true taste outside the U.S.

Estescj2002, Feb 22, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +33.7%

The first American made swartzbier I have tried...
Exceptional!

I have been looking forward to seeing Spoetzl Brewery venture outside of their comfort zone for a while now...Very excited about trying this beer

Pours into a pint glass nicely with a pearl white head about inch high
Not much aroma...smell espresso and caramelized sugar

Very dark brown to black color

The taste was amazing...Espresso, Chocolate and Caramel round out the flavor of this beer...but smooth the entire time

Incredibly enjoyable to drink...amazing flavor...Would of enjoyed this at room temperature poured over some vanilla bean ice cream...

Would like to enjoy this on tap

belgiumbud, Aug 24, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an opaque brown-black. It smells sweet, of dried fruit and of delicious barley malt. It smells a lot better than I remember. This used to be my favourite beer when I first started drinking beer.
I was really surprised at how good this beer was. I figured I'd come a long way in my taste for beer since the early days of drinking this stuff all the time, but this is really a damn good beer for the money. The sweet dried fruit flavours are perfectly balanced by the bitter roasted malt character and just enough hops. The light body is a nice touch too. I'm not sure what I think about the level of carbonation. Seems like it might be a bit high, but it doesn't really bother me. This is an excellent brew that I will be sure to buy again. I guess my first instincts as a beer drinker were right. This really is one of the best beers in its price range.

ElCommodoro, Oct 15, 2011
4.53/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hot damn I love this beer in so many ways. Perfectly balanced with malts on the tongue and hops in the mouth.

A- Pours a dark maple brown and settles in the glass opaque with a light caramel head and garnet-red transparency on the edges.

S- Smell is the only con in this beer. Kinda funky with no hops on the nose and only a hard-to-notice caramel malt note.

T- The perfect flavor in my opinion. While going over the tongue a coarse hop feeling balances with silky dark malts working their way into your palate. When you wash it down your throat a spicy sting of Noble hops fills the mouth and leaves you wanting more.

M- Feels excellent with a light-medium body that carries a surprising amount of flavor.

D- Drinks amazingly well for a dark beer

EnojysAnyBeer, Aug 16, 2008