Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Bohemian Black LagerBohemian Black Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-02-2006)

Jamstone714, Jan 01, 2012

roadrage, Nov 05, 2012

SirPlunkett, Jan 07, 2012
1.08/5  rDev -68.6%

Xfse71, Aug 31, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -56.4%

Picked up a sixer and looked forward to another fine brew from Shiner. This beer poured dark with little head and minimal lacing. Smell was good but but had something I could not put my finger on. Taste was not good at all for me, had a after taste like someone soaked a dirty sock in it or something, had a hard time finishing the glass.

In case my taste buds were having a bad night I tried another a few nights later, no better. I ended up pouring the rest of the bottle down the drain and giving the rest to a friend.

Never could put my finger on what the taste was and maybe I had a bad batch but no thanks on this one.

unionturf, Jun 27, 2008
1.64/5  rDev -52.3%

misternebbie, Aug 28, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

Derrill, Aug 28, 2014
1.88/5  rDev -45.3%

From my brother, Duane. Thanks, buddy. I really wanted to like this beer. I like the idea of an older non-AB brewery in Shiner Texas. But I was disappointed. The beer does not have a good aroma. A little like maraschino cherries, perhaps. There was a very small head with no retention of lacing at all. The taste had a burnt tone but primarily it tasted like cardboard. Texture was very watery with almost no carbonation. It was not pleasant. Cold or warm it was not good, Perhaps it was old.

chickenflea, Nov 26, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -43.9%

Alright, new beer at my local store...

Pours dark cola colored with a three finger head that leaves virtually no lacing.

Smells of sour dough. not very good first impression.

Taste is of roasted malts with notes of sour harshness that does not suit any beer.

Mouthfeel is thin, very thin.

Ultimately this beer seriously lacks in flavor and what little it does have does not make me want to fish it out of the drain. This is a big disappointment for me, which is a pity as I usually love the style.

FrognutUnl, Jun 18, 2008
1.95/5  rDev -43.3%

Continuing my tasting of the Shiner variety six-pack...

A. Deep semi-opaque brown and one finger khaki head that lasts for about one minute, no lacing left behind.

S. Gentle sweet caramel malt and....that's it. Can't find any roasted or toasted malt aromas and that is a problem for this kind of beer. Hops are also missing from the picture.

T. Almost imperceptible amount of hop bittering on top of the flavor of weak roasted malts and some watered down coffee tones form the flavor profile of this brew. I'm not very impressed with this one, I've had much better than this.

M. An unpleasant sort of greasy oiliness rears its ugly head inside my mouth after each sip. Other than that, texture is on the thin side, but doesn't 'feel' quite as watery as the thinness of the flavor would have you expect.

I'll be avoiding this one in the future, I might as well have had a glass of coffee carafe rinsewater for the same effect.

WastingFreetime, Jan 04, 2012

hmmmbeer10, Apr 08, 2014

AlaskanYoung, Jan 22, 2013

Satan70, Dec 26, 2013
2.03/5  rDev -41%

Pours a deep amber to a black color, with a small white head. In the aroma, a faint roasty coffee. In the taste, a small dry roasty coffee, yet kind of bland. A small bite and a light mouthfeel, with a dry, roasty aftertaste. Small body and light to no body. Kind of dry and really kind of weak and not worth it.

OWSLEY069, Aug 20, 2008
2.05/5  rDev -40.4%

C. DARKKK
H. BLACK
N. Smells like water and mild liquorice

Ok, so out of all the black lagers that i have had this comes in last place. It almost taste like I licked a grill that had a tone of char on it. It is smooth and easy to drink with that said. I would not buy it again. If your looking for a black lager I would recommend any but this one. Disappointed.
Score: 1.65

DosBeerigos, Feb 24, 2010
2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager

C: 3.5 - Filtered clear. Black. Very little light penetrates the glass. Under direct sunlight, it appears to be a very dark chocolate brown. Pours with about an inch of cream colored head, which dissipates over a few minutes.

S: 3.0 - Smoky malts. Lager hops.

T: 2.0 - Tastes very much like a light watered down stout. Starts flat and turns in the middle into strong roasted/coffee flavor and finishes with a strong hoppy bitterness, which lingers for a bit.

M: 2.0 - Watery. Medium Carbonation.

D: 1.0 - Not a very enjoyable beer. Lacks flavor, texture, body. Very poorly constructed.

OVERALL GRADE: D

negroobserver, Jan 04, 2012
2.08/5  rDev -39.5%

I'm not an experienced reviewer, but after drinking this, I had to tell someone how bad it was.

Poured into a pilsner glass, which fizzed like cola and quickly dissipated. Slightly malty mouthfeel. Tastes like a soda that has been sitting open in the fridge for a while. I cannot discern how this beer manages to accomplish both an over-carbonated yet at the same time very flat drinking experience, but it does just that.

It says this beer is no longer brewed... but I just bought it, partly because I had never seen it before. The label is all black, seeming updated from the pictured version. I thought it might be a different recipe entirely from the one pictured, as it only says "Shiner Bohemian Black Lager" on the main label, but a closer look on the neck label reads "shiner 97." They first made it to commemorate their 97th anniversary, but it seems that they are making it again.

I really like Shiner Bock, Shiner's most popular beer, and it is often a go-to at bars, as it is usually the same price as Michelob Amber Bock but tastes better. I also enjoy their Hefeweisen and Dunkelweisen, even the blonde isn't bad. But this? All I can ask is, "What the hell, Shiner?"

*I upped my original ratings, as I did end up finishing the six pack (over time) but mainly because maybe this just isn't my style of brew... maybe my palette just doesn't agree with this style... so, benefit of the doubt goes to Shiner's black lager.

sleeven, Jun 06, 2008

Kubrickx, Dec 04, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

A: Black but not completely opaque. The miniature head that forms leaves almost no lacing behind.

S: Pretty typical chocolate, roasted malt, faint hints of caramel or toffee. What you'd expect really. Nothing particularly enticing.

T: Lighter flavor than the aroma lets on. I picked up hints of chocolate, that's about it. Not remotely as complex as some of the others of the style I have tried. Disappointing really.

M: Very thin and watery. Were it not for the intense carbonation I wouldn't really know it was there. At least it is refreshing in this regard.

O: I'd pass unless you are looking for something that goes down easy. What you see is what you get with this one.

rlf1810, Mar 25, 2011