Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Bohemian Black LagerBohemian Black Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-02-2006)

brin611, Mar 03, 2013

rfbenavi80, Feb 28, 2013

Punisher, Feb 23, 2013
4.65/5  rDev +35.2%

Ok I'm Sorry but this is be best black lager I have ever drank in the U.S. I have been to 21 countries and have tasted a lot of beer. But without a doubt this beer is smooth and satisfying; it taste just like a few beers in Ireland I had!!! I live in Madison, Alabama and we can not buy it around here, I have to drive north for about two hours to get it and its worth the trip!!! I wish I could find it closer!! I guess why I like it do much is because it reminds me of a true taste outside the U.S.

Estescj2002, Feb 22, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

Vylo, Feb 21, 2013
3.61/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Florida Beer Co. tapered glass. No freshness date.

A- Pours a mostly opaque black color with a 1/2 inch light tan head that retains a bit before becoming a thick ring around the edge of the glass and a light strip of surface foam. Slippery lacing slides down the glass.

S- Crisp, refined lager aroma with some faint roasted malt. Slight note of chocolate.

T- Subtle roasted malt flavor with a hint of smoke and chocolate. Mild hop taste creates some balance. Alcohol is barely noticeable thus providing high drinkability.

M- Such a light body for a beer as dark as this. Feel is a tad chalky and dry. Medium carbonation.

O- Decent for a Shiner product but I've definitely had better schwarzbiers.

Immortale25, Feb 21, 2013

bcsbeer, Feb 20, 2013

kjwetherb, Feb 17, 2013

bushwack, Feb 17, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +38.1%

johndonor3, Feb 17, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a very dark chestnut brown with a thin light brown head that dissipates to a thick ring around the glass and light lacing. Aroma of toasted and light bready malt, hint of chocolate. Flavor is attenuated toasted malt with hints of coffee and grassy hops. Light bodied. I got hopeful as I poured this, because it looks pretty good, but this is really light flavored, almost tastes watered down. Too bad because the basic components seem nice.

LiquidAmber, Feb 16, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +23.5%

DoppelB1, Feb 15, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This pours a dark brown color with a beige colored head. The aroma has some sweet malts to it, but that’s about it. The taste is simple and perhaps weaker than expected. There is a taste of chocolate and roasted malts but it is weak. Overall this is a very sweet, easy drinking taste that is smooth refreshing. Could use a little more boldness, but that’s just me.

Lemke10, Feb 14, 2013

BockMan, Feb 07, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +9%

Michaeldmanley, Feb 06, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

I went from bottle to gut, no glass. Bought on sale at local grocer.

Unsure what "shwarzbier" actually means, as labeled (I should look it up..). This beer is definitely a try at a darker lager. Smells great: chocolate, coffee, citrus. Better than all the other Shiner products, in my opinion, since this beer actually seems to have discernible alcohol content.

Finishes quite nice with the low sour tones on back of tongue. Goes down thin in spots. Thin means sometimes you taste through to the base. I think I taste corn syrup. Let me put it this way--with Sam Adams I know what I'm getting; I can abide. Shiner's Black has that welcoming aromatic smell, after prying the cap off, and a great mouthful. And another great mouthful. Sam is the same way, but the heaviness is streamlined for usage, meaning there's a crispness and lightness that Shiner's Dark doesn't have. My comparison here is simply about enjoyable consumption and nothing else. No real carbonation or chatty head here with Shiner'S Dark...just the meat...and the meat is workable but not a lager-lover's dream...

Objective as I can get. I drink lighter lager for fun but dark is a treat. If it's as low as 4.99 go for it. If 5.99 or more, no.

AzImbiber, Jan 31, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dumped really hard into a big ol mug generating a hefty off white head on a dark bodied beer with orange and amber highlights at the bottom. Berry nice looking.

Mild aroma of roasty toasty coffee, caramel, and some hop character.

Flavor is mild as well. Basically that roasted malt coffee flavor. Nice but I want more like I get in a Schwärzla or Köstritzer.

Light watery body with a touch of prickly carbonation.

One of my favs as far as the Shiner lineup is concerned.

MattSweatshirt, Jan 28, 2013