Bohemian Black Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Bohemian Black LagerBohemian Black Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 09-02-2006)
albertjr21

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Black color with bright brown highlights under the reminiscent ring of a beige thin head.

S: A dark roasted malt nose with a mild sweet licorice note.

M/T: A crisp and bubbly carbonated upfront feel with a short lived malt center that leads to a palate scrubbing finish with traces of sour and roasted malt notes.

D: Something perhaps to best be enjoyed with a simply seasoned cut of beef.

08-23-2010 17:12:41 | More by albertjr21
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.2/5  rDev +22.1%

A: Nice black body, big giant tan head. Maybe too big, but I poured pretty harsh and it's not lingering very long. At least not inappropriately long. Well, it's pretty much gone now. Pretty good lacing though. The beer is very dark brown, pretty much black but not perfectly.

S: Dry, grainy roast, nothing for hops. Not burnt or anything like that, just the smell of cooked and roasted grains. Not unpleasant, fairly typical for the style, but not the best presentation ever.

T: Much, much better than the nose. The taste is a mild roast, still some grainyness, but not a dry unpleasant taste, more like eating barley pilaf. The taste is not overpowering at all, and is very interesting, bordering on complex.

M: I really think they nailed the mouthfeel, light (but not watery) with a smooth texture, totally disconnected from the taste/appearance.

D: Very drinkable, something I won't be afraid to recommend or add to my personal rotation.

08-10-2010 22:08:47 | More by mdwalsh
weller1js

West Virginia

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

appearance: pours a dark cherry-mohogany with light carbonation; tan foam dissipates leaving a slight lacing.

smell: toasted malty scent with slightly sweet undertones.

taste: toasted malts stand out throughout the beginning, transitioning to a slightly smokey undertone, yielding to a balanced malty and slight sweet hoppy finish; flavor is dark yet has some richer notes.

drinkability: for a darker bock-style, the toasted flavor is neither too intense nor too smoke-infused, the discernable presence of hops makes give it some mild complexity; definitely worth trying.

08-06-2010 01:35:16 | More by weller1js
Nature777

4.78/5  rDev +39%

It's as dark as motor oil but smoother than a baby's ass! This is an excellent brew that I'd rarely pass up. When I first started drinking beers that went beyond "Generic Light" and "Generic Ice," this was one of my first dark beers. While I was still acquiring a taste for beers that weren't American Light Lagers, this one blew me away. A few years later, this is still at the top of my list.

A- I've been pouring these into common pint glasses. The beer is a beautifully deep black with reddish-mahogany highlights, visible if you hold it up to a light. I also has a dark head.

S- There's a decent sent of roasted malts here. I got some coffee as well.

T- The taste of this beer is astonishing. Despite it's dark color, it is exceptionally light. The coffee and chocolate flavors hit you very quickly up front. I didn't find this very hoppy. But perhaps my addiction to Imperial IPAs sways my judgement here. The malts really come through in the rear.

M- Easily one of the most drinkable beers I have ever had. Again, despite being so dark, it is very light. It's a great beer to give people who think that all dark beers taste the same and are heavy. It'll teach them a thing about real beers. It does not fill you up and with the low alcohol content, you can easily drink several of these without having a problem. I also found this to be minimally carbonated. I've had several lambics recently which were much more heavily carbonated.

This is an overall spectacular brew. I rank it amongst my favorites. It is the lightest of the beers I regularly drink. I tend to lean towards Stone Double Bastard and Dogfish Head 90 Minute IIPA. When I want something refreshing and easy to drink, this is my beer of choice.

08-05-2010 07:59:45 | More by Nature777
Bfarr

Washington

2.5/5  rDev -27.3%

Clear black with red shining through in spots with a tan, thin frothy head with okay retention. Dirty lager aroma. A little molasses and earthy hops that are very muted. Nothing in the finish though I wouldn't call it clean, just nothing, except for a bit of a bad coating in the back of the throat. Medium thin carbonation.

Not much to this one. It was even kind of a chore to drink as all the flavors are quite muted. Nothing I would be looking for again but hey, it was cheap.

07-27-2010 00:51:01 | More by Bfarr
LacquerHead

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

I first had this in a bottle at The Spot in Chicago. It was served very cold which masked the full characteristics of the beer. I had this again in TX and purchased it in a variety 6pck.

Poured this into a Sam Adams pint. The beer pours very dark with a slight translucence that allowed a dark cherry light to shine through. The head retention was not very good. It lasted about halfway down then settled to a very thin lace. Poured it at 50 degrees. It tasted best at temps in high 50's.

Smelled like cooked cherries. The taste was similar to the smell. It had a sort of plum/cherry taste upfront followed by a coffee bean background. This was like a lager invited an English Porter over to hang out. There was a more robust flavor at temps above 59. There was a slight metallic and over carbonated taste and texture.

Overall it was not a bad black lager. This is one of my more favorite brews from the Spoetzl Brewery. I would not mind having this one again and would easily choose it over the Bock. I thought it had a refreshing quality that seemed fitting for the TX heat.

07-25-2010 00:55:35 | More by LacquerHead
Bung

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz. Light black pour, brown all around the edges. Minimal off white head.

Aroma, that standard American lager scent. Faintest roast, dark choc. and herbal peat tones.

Taste is watery dark chocolate and peat. Light chocolate and peat. Herbal tones, finishes dry and crisp, but pretty meh.

Certainly on the lighter side, but for a hot night a good brew for a dark beer fan. Lively carbonation. Nothing offensive at all to not allow one to drink many.

Definetely a session black lager, although black lagers are sessionable to begin with. So maybe a good six pack available session lager.

07-23-2010 03:37:55 | More by Bung
MbpBugeye

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

A- Pretty black yet clear with mahogany highlights as it sits in my New Glarus pilsner glass. A small tan head caps it through most of the glass.

S- Pretty hoppy, piny and citrusy over top a minor roasty smell. Touches of coffee and charcoal. Overall the smell is a bit weak.

T- Nice balance with the finish leaning towards bitter with a bite of hops and roasted malts.

M- A little too much on the carbonation perhaps. The body is fairly light and the finish is pretty clean.

07-21-2010 18:58:15 | More by MbpBugeye
WJVII

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into a pint glass this has an aggressive head that was 3 fingers thick milk chocolate brown that left minimal lacing but settled to a nice 1 finger cap. The aroma is faint but some burnt caramel and coffee are present. The taste is of mild chocolate, some slight coffee and a little burnt caramel. Light carbonation and medium body. Not the best dark lager I have had but a decent brew.

07-11-2010 01:20:37 | More by WJVII
ZAP

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

A nice little Schwartzy I imagine would drink nicely at a summer gathering.

The aroma and flavor both include .some milk chocolate and some light java....really not much in the way of hops and I was hoping for a bit more from the Saaz hops.

Body is on the light side of medium.... clean...smooth but not quite rounded...gets a little watery after it warms

A nice drinker...nothing terribly complex but also nothing terribly wrong with this either....I'd recommend..

07-02-2010 04:28:08 | More by ZAP
gregalobeer

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

"Shiner is a great TX beer." Let's tease apart three possible meanings of this compliment, which you can quote me on: (1) Shiner is a great *business*, which brews beer: the beer Shiner is made by the Spoetzl Brewery, which is a stand-up TX business, providing unique and affordable local beer to tons of bars, festivals, and convenience stores that typically just serve domestic lights; (2) Shiner is a brewery with great *beer*: I grew up drinking this beer and I like it quite a bit, especially on draft, though I understand it tastes a little bitter; (3) Shiner is a great *TX* beer: hands down my favorite local brewery, unique style and very drinkable.

Now, what distinguishes the "bohemian black lager" from Shiner Bock? Not a lot actually. Basically, the flavor is smoothed out quite a bit, traces of caramel and chocolaty malts, now complete with less bitter aftertaste. This beer is certainly more likable than Shiner proper, but the new flavor profile isn't strong enough to overcome my affinity for the original.

06-29-2010 01:23:18 | More by gregalobeer
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

I had this beer right after the Session Black from Full Sail and I have to say that this is not as good. Both beers are well priced and dark lagers but the Full Sail has a richer mouthfeel and longer finish. I think this is an ok beer and if I was in Texas I would probably seek it out but in the PNW the Session Black is the better beer at a better price

06-15-2010 18:43:37 | More by canucklehead
burnerfinger

3.35/5  rDev -2.6%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new belgium goblet:

A: deepest red, almost opaque. this carmelly head that dissipated all to quickly.

S: weak and understated. this is like a wannabe- stout to me. a bit of maltiness. hops nearly absent

T: athe carbonation is almost "foamy" but the porter taste does come thru a bit. this is pleasant but just not enough.

M: best of the shiners I think. little bit of an afterkick medium body

D: not bad, I just wish it were more of what it's trying to be.

06-14-2010 20:19:42 | More by burnerfinger
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

Look - thick and creamy looking. Very dark and stout/porter looking until held up to the light, which reveals a softer shade closer to a brown. Nice 1.5 to 2 fingers worth of foam that dissipated fairly quickly.

Smell - It smelled like it was going to be a thick dark lager. I didn't catch a coffee smell that other reviewers pointed out, but I did smell something that seemed almost fruity in nature.

Mouthfeel - not as creamy as expected, which I thought was going to be closer to light Porter.

Taste - nice and balanced between malty and hopy. Smooth aftertaste.

Drinkability - very good beer, but still a little too thick for me to go back for a few more times. I wouldn't mind at all having it in the fridge for one every now and then.

06-13-2010 08:27:02 | More by Nerudamann
JMad

3.33/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a chilled pint glass.

This beer poured dark black, color was dark maroon when held up to the light. Had a nice, tan 1 finger head that dissipated quickly.
Smells of dark roasted malt, no hoppy scent. Has a slight apricot smell as well.
Tastes like malt and prunes, would like it more if it had more of a roasted flavor.
Mouthfeel is pretty light for a dark beer, little too much carbonation.
Drinks ok but not what I'm looking for in a black lager.

I used to love this beer but it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

06-05-2010 23:31:15 | More by JMad
jhp40219

Kentucky

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

A - Looks black upon pour, but hold it up to the light and you can see a nice amber color. Pours with a nice light tan one-finger head. Dissipates quickly into a light tan ring around the edges of the glass. Drinking leaves a slight bubbly lacing on the glass which slides down and disappears into to beer within seconds.

S - Very tasty smell of smoky campfire, roasted malts and coffee are strong and upfront with a bit of chocolate in the background. Excellent! I could sit and sniff this all day!

T - Not as good as the smell, but quite nice! The smoky taste is very dominating on the front of the tongue, and those roasted malts and coffee taste coming through in the back of the tongue. All blending excellently together. Very similar to a smoked porter taste.

M - Nothing special. The carbonation tends to dull the taste, making it feel kind of watery and thin. Huge letdown.

D - Very easy to drink! Not too strong, but definitely not weak. Tastes like a smoked porter but drinks much easier. Very nice!

06-01-2010 02:34:48 | More by jhp40219
Soilworker

Idaho

3.98/5  rDev +15.7%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz twist top bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Dark dark amber with hues of red. It appears almost black until you hold it up to the light and you see the red. Had a 1 finger thick tan head.

S: Light sweet roasted malts with a slight hint of coffee but not much. Quite predominate smokey characteristics play a part throughout the smell.

T: First thing I get is some light, almost watery, roasted malts. Not much hoppiness going on but there is enough to balance out the maltiness. I get some light hints of roasted coffee and some burnt notes.

M: Very much on the lighter side and would seem a little bit watery but that seems to be what they were shooting for with the style. Relatively high carbonation.

D: A light and refreshing beer with average abv make this one pretty drinkable. I could definitely drink this one all night.

Notes: Overall quite refreshing and light. I think it makes a great alternative to heavier stouts/porters and I like it much better than say something like a light lager. It maintains some complexity and depth of flavor while still being quite drinkable and refreshing.

06-01-2010 01:04:43 | More by Soilworker
bnes09

3.48/5  rDev +1.2%

Black and mostly opaque in color. A thin tan head shyly emerges than sinks back into the liquid like a frightened turtle.

Aromas of dark fruit and licorice hit the nose but other than that a clean smell.

Roasted flavor comes forth abruptly then restraines itself. I can detect some hints of coffee and licorice. Finishes smooth without much of an after taste.

Light-bodied and a fairly high level of carbonation. The malt just doesn't give my palate enother texture to enjoy.

Drinkability is high due to the weaker flavors and light feel. Its descent for a black lager but I would definetly appreciate a more complex flavor profile and more substantial body.

05-30-2010 02:26:41 | More by bnes09
macrent2

Indiana

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance:
This beer comes in bottles. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a dark coffee colour with a nice amount of carbonation and a short head. Later on there was a very small amount of noticable lacing on the glass. Not the best I have seen.

Aroma:
Light smell. A hint of vanilla and coffee.

Palate:
Very nice, goes down very well.

Flavour:
Very beer. I thought it was too drinkable. Plus, why this is called Black Behemian is not odd to me! I never expected Irish style with coffee notes.

Overall:
Good enough to have again! This is on an American par with Guiness Ireland!

Serving type: Bottle

05-26-2010 03:35:57 | More by macrent2
mralphabet

3.23/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a Pint glass. Part of Family Pack

A: Pours very dark amber brown, about 1 1/2 fingers of tan head that settles to nothing, with no lacing.

S: First thing I'm getting is a nice sweet toasted malt, with notes of caramel, toffee and coffee.

T: All the smells are here.... Tastes or all on the light side... with a little more coffee than I was thinking I was going to get. After taste is clean and dry.

M: Sharp carbonation make it feel lighter than it really should be. Not what I was expecting. It is crisp and clean I was expecting a little creamier. Overall it feels med bodied.

D: Overall not a bad little brew, low ABV and nice flavors. Nothing too outstanding but a nice brew from the Spoetzl Brewery.

05-24-2010 03:57:16 | More by mralphabet
KeefD

3.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Dark brown, maybe some black in center, clear, and ruby edges with a two finger head and light lacing. Aroma is slightly subdued, but there is a touch of roasty and chocolate notes going on, a but grainy (Shiner's MO?) and no hoppiness. Taste is right along with the aroma. Lightl cocoa, some caramel, and a teeny tiny bit of roast make up the flavor profile, some grainy, bready like base malts underneath, and a fading light bitterness along with a nutty sweetness on the finish. Not too sweet, and easy drinking. Mouthfeel is smooth, carbonation, just on the verge of creamy. Not a bad a beer by any means. Probably the best out of this mixed 12 pack so far.

05-23-2010 21:38:31 | More by KeefD
Haybeerman

Colorado

3.13/5  rDev -9%

A: Clear, dark brown color. Poured a 2 finger beige head with fair retention. Minimal lacing washed down the glass.

S: Sweet malt and grass with a hint of toast and roasted nuts.

T: Sweet toasted malt; prmarily burnt toast and roasted nuts. Lingers a bit in an even, bitter finish.

M: Light body. Moderate carbonation. Amooth and fairly balanced.

D: Pretty tame for the style. Nothing wrong, just not very impressive.

05-13-2010 10:27:05 | More by Haybeerman
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

3.63/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.
The beer poured a dark black color with a substantial head of creamy tan foam. The head never really diminished all the way, and there was a good solid 1/4" inch of foam through the whole pint. The beer had showed deep garnet colors when held to light.
The aroma was clean and lager-like, but with touches of roasted barley and sweet malts, a hint of cocoa, and faint florals. Very pleasant smelling.
The taste was quite good, better than I expected from Shiner. Slighty sweet malts upfront, chased by light roast and chocolates, balanced by a fairly clean bitterness. Decent body and carbonation.
Overall, a very drinkable beer from Shiner. I'd buy this over Shiner Bock any day.

05-13-2010 04:11:37 | More by KrisPaulk77
hoegaardenhero

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

a: translucent black/brown body; headless

s: some light coffee; sweeter syrupy malts; hay; little bit of chocolate

t: light chocolate; coffee; very mild

m: watery with high carbonation

i love the aesthetic but this beer was a bit of a dissapointment

05-13-2010 00:01:21 | More by hoegaardenhero
divineaudio

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. freshness date (i think) laser etched into the bottle .

color is dark brown with ruby highlights. forms a pinky of foamy tan colored head that calms quickly to a film. not getting much lace with this one, only a few spots.

smell is grainy with notes of dark fruit and sugar. has a syrupy, cola like quality. taste is more nutty than anything else, and has a bit of a sugary sweetness to it that is followed up with mild hop bitterness.

mouthfeel is light with a prickly co2 profile.

drinkability is high. this goes down easy and is a great session beer for people who want a lighter beer with richer flavor than a typical lager.

05-01-2010 03:35:50 | More by divineaudio