Shiner 98 Bavarian Style Amber - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Vienna Lager |  ABV ?

Beer added by: beeragent on 05-17-2007

The Shiner brand is practically a state heirloom with each generation of Texans introducing it to the next. While other Texas brewers took the “artistic” road in their offerings, our friends at Spoetzl Brewing have stayed to the middle of the Devil’s Backbone.

A Bavarian Amber lager is offered in celebration of their 98th anniversary. I found it to be variation of their Kolsch, though thinner with more carbonation and hops have a larger prescence for a Shiner product, though this is no IPA.

However, I feel this beer is FANtastic. This has to be the BEST 98th year anniversary beer from a South Texas brewery that I've ever had. (642 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +26.4%

I poured this beer from a regular 12oz bottle, When I poured it, it poured a copper color with an off white 2 finger head. The head didn't last long and made way for a little ring on the glass that went down with the beer. The smell was a little musky, with a slight hint of toffee in it. The mouthfeel of this beer is suprisingly light, and clean. The taste was a little bit malty with kind of a toffeish taste to it. But a ver good taste at that. My overall opinion of this beer is that it is another winner from shiner. My only problem is that this will be a limited release for this year only. I can only hope they turn this beer into an year round brew after the anniversary series. (687 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +24.7%

A: A great copper/amber color. A 1.5 finger head that fades to leave a little lace. Looks great
S: Hard to detect. Nice hops and roasted malt when you put your nose into the glass.
T: Very enjoyable. A great balance of sweet hops and bread/bisquit malt. This is great.
D: Refereshing and a great session beer, it doesn't get any better than that.

A little watery, but not bad. This beer should be available all year. It is heads and shoulders above Shiner Bock One note, it took me a couple of tries to really get into this. It is a much more complex beer than the first try would suggest, which could be the reason for some of the low scores for this beer. (659 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%

Bottle Inspection: Nice retro looking label, the back notes some Munich malt and German hops. There’s a faded neck laser code I can’t read (another bottle shows 09 11 07, which I’m assuming is the best by date). I broke out my Shiner pint glass for the occasion.

Aroma: Nice toasted malt, some earthy noble hops, and a familiar “Shiner” note that I have to assume is the house yeast.

Appearance: A rough pour left 3 fingers of frothy white that settled down after a couple minutes to a solid cover of off white with clinging lace. Glass is a bright clear brown.

Flavor: Very well balanced with quality at both ends. Malt is toasted and full bodied but very little sweetness as the hops are fresh and a bit earthy and really bring the taste to the center. There is a yeast quality that’s soft and bready as well.

Mouthfeel: Some heft in the body but short of a chew, somewhere in the medium to medium heavy range. Carbonation is soft but present.

Overall Impression: Old friend, is that you? I’m probably wrong, as it’s been close to twenty years, but this might just be the old Shiner Bock before they changed the recipe.
I downed this beer in large and rapid swallows. Massive drinkability.
Grab it whilst ye can. (1,241 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +18.4%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- Amber coloring without a great deal of head.

S- Sweet caramel scent with some hops thrown in.

T- Probably my favorite Shiner beer. Great mixture of malts and hops. Not too bitter at all. I like to consider this an improved version of Shiner Bock, which is one of my favorite beers.

M- Goes down smoothly with a hoppy finish.

D- Very drinkable. Can have several in one sitting when they still made it. Wish they would make this permanent. (490 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +17.8%

Going to college in Texas it's practically (if it
isn't already) required to try all Shiner beers -
while I liked their Bock, this one reminded me of
quality European beers, good flavor without being
overwhelming like the 97, which is like a thicker
and slightly hoppier version of Guiness. !Enjoy! (298 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours out like the stuff the mosquitoes were trapped in in Jurassic Park with a great, fluffy head and slants, slopes, and rings of lace. Smell is a clean lager smell with very faint sulfur notes in the background. Malt is toasty in the nose and I pick up some noble hops. Flavor is caramel, crackers, and herbal hops which leave a slightly drying and moderately bitter finish. Mouthfeel leans toward a medium build with bubbles that work well with what is given here. It'd be great to see this one as a year-rounder. (517 characters)

Picked up a six pack of Shiner 98 the last time I was in Dallas, wanted something local, seasonal, and easy to drink - and this seemed to be the best option at the gas station I was in..
Poured a deep mahogany brown, clear liquid with a tan head, a very nice looking beer. Decent retention, and thin string of lace. Although not too strong, the aroma had sweet caramel. The flavor was more of that sweet malt, clean and fresh taste. Biscuit and roasted malt. Rich body, full carbonation, without getting cloying. Slightly bitter finish keep it refreshing.
A nice upgrade from the Shiner Bock I have had before. Very nice Vienna, drinkable, tastey. (648 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +13.8%

The retro graphics on the bottle are great. The appearance of the bottle itself almost tells the experience of drinking the beer.

A nice bit of head on the beer but it went away rather quickly. A great crystal clear amber color.

Has a good aroma. Smells German but not skunky.

The taste is very malty. The hops are noticeable but not overpowering. I have only lived in Texas for 3 years but i would say that this is the best tasting Shiners that i can remember (my memory of the 96 is fading).

The feels great in my mouth. Great carbonation level. Thick and chewing.

i could drink this the rest of the night and probably will.

Overall a good experience from seeing it in the store to the bottom of the glass.

I bought the beer warm and cooled it down. $6.99 at Grapevine in Austin Texas (807 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a deep golden color with moderate white head. No lacing.
Smell is very light and almost undectable.
Taste is enjoaybel. A strong malt character is balanced nicely by a firm hop background.
Leaves a pleasurable sensation in the mouth.
A nice easy easy drinking beer. Very refreshing. (289 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance - tumbles into the glass with much churning, shaping up three fingers of head quickly. A creamy layer of foam on top that laces quite well with creamy smooth patterns. The head recedes slowly into the light caramel/amber beer.

Aroma - caramel malts, a sweet honey aroma reminding me of Dundee Honey Brown.

Taste - on first sip it is quite similar to a Honey Brown, too. There is a better roasted quality to these grains, though, and a minor but noticeable kiss of late hops. The swallow is evenly balanced between the roast and the sweetness, with any bitterness staying in the background but not fading completely. A pleasant finish. Still some hops low-riding here, very cool. I like this beer.

Mouthfeel - average crispness, moderately thin body, I'm okay with it.

Drinkability - a very nice session beer for fall, provided you don't mind a slight bend to the sweeter side of amber. (900 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured a deep golden color with moderate white head. No lacing.
Smell is very light and almost undectable. Taste is enjoyable. A strong malt character is balanced nicely by a firm hop background.
Leaves a pleasurable sensation in the mouth. A nice easy easy drinking beer. Very refreshing when drinking in summertime. (317 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%

I was glad to find the 98 for as I was just about to order it in, there it was.
It poured a copper bronze with an off-white/light tan head that reduces to a film.

The aroma is sweet vienna malts with vanilla, and toffee.

The taste is smooth, thick malts with caramel and toffee. Some hop to crisp things up and aids the drinkability.

The mouth is left a sweet dry.

I do like this style and Shiner pulled it off real close, say "98"% close? (452 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a pale golden copper, clear with a frothy off-white head. Tiny bubble creep up from the bottom, joining the party above. The smell is hop noted, with a malt back. Definitely hoppier than I expected, but what does that mean, really? Thing taste is creamy and malty, with the hops showing up 'round the edges as it were. The finish is all hops, giving it a clean, crisp note. The mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and silky if a bit thin. The drinkability is best expressed as this. I'm on my third. Well, its Sunday afternoon and it seems a plan has been made. Prosit! (571 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +8.3%

A nice bready smell to this one. Bready toasty notes in the taste as well, with grainy notes and a slight hop finish. Mouthfull nice, smooth and carbonated, not weak. Overall, not bad at all. I'm a fan of the Shiner Bock for what it is, and this is an easy drinker as well. (273 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Last bottle from a sixer bought, oh, about last August. I took notes on the first bottle back when it was fresh, but lost 'em. Anyway, nothing much has changed since then, as best I can recall. Here goes.

Poured into a pint glass, nice thick head, light tan, but it goes away pretty quickly. The beer itself is a cloudy amber with moderate carbonation. Looks very much like an english-style ale, despite it's "Bavarian" label. I like this look a lot, so kudos there.

High quantity of malt in the nose, not too sweet, but a definite sweetness present. No hop presence to speak of.

Taste is a solid, mildly malty lager. Not a big hop presence. Starts smooth, ends crisper. Malt grows with the aftertaste. Mouthfeel takes a hit for the inconsistency (the whole smooth-to-crisp effect), which was a bit unsettling. Good but not great drinkability.

I'm enjoying these Shiner one-offs. This one isn't as good as the 97, which I'd like to see Shine add as a full-time brew, but it was good, nonetheless. If you happen across one that doesn't have too much dust on it it's worth a try. (1,082 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +8%

Purchased this beer at the local HEB store while visiting with relatives in TX.

Had a nice reddish-cooper hue with a short lingering head along with very little lacing.

My first sip revealed a smooth malty flavor followed by some perky hops.

98 reminded me very much of Yuengling Traditonal American Lager -- my steady brew -- except that it has a stronger aftertaste.

Shiner 98 is a terrific rendition of this beer style and I would certainly drink it again upon my return to Texas. (487 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours with a frothy, initially fat one-finger thick (despite a vigorous pour), pale tan colored head that sits a top a brilliantly clear, deeply red, copper colored brew. The aroma is a nice mix of hop and malt, though the hop notes play a touch larger role. Aromatic notes of light citrus, green-herbal notes, a touch of berry notes, some biscuit malt notes, a nice breadiness. I like that this has a nice, chewy, malt driven aroma, but am a bit suprised (though pleasantly so) how hoppy & of what hop character that this brew is.

Quite well carbonated, the beer definitely fizzes up a bit as it hits my tongue. Somewhat dry, even a touch of tartness, though this does have a soft, caramelized malt sweetness. Grassy hop flavors and a solid, yet somewhat soft, hop bitterness is noticeable. The fruity / citrus hop notes of the aroma are mostly lacking in the flavor, but there is just a hint of bergamot towards the finish. Malt defived flavors of biscuits, a berry-like malt sweetness, some dusty soda cracker notes and a touch of grain husk astringency add a bit more to the malt perception.

This is not a bad amber, I don't know that I would characterize it as a traditional Bavarian one, but I like the extra, fresh hop character that is in this brew. It could perhaps use a touch more malt depth, and perhaps a touch cleaner malt profile. (1,347 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer was brought to KC from Austin in the back of a family car, in a cooler, just for me. The beer poured golden-red into a room temperature pint glass, with a thin head of lacy froth. It smelled familiar, a little like the Shiner Bock I drank too much of at a conference in Austin. A little hoppy, a little malty, a little generically beery. (Man, can you believe that I don’t write for a living? What a grasp on the English language.)

The taste is slightly dry, and the hops really aren’t as aggressive as a hop-fearing light beer drinker might think. The carbonation is higher than I expected, with the low level of head it poured out of the bottle, but I liked it. Still has that "thick" beer mouthfeel. Better than Shiner Bock! This being my first limited release from Shiner, I have nothing to compare it to, but I thought it was quite nice. I had absolutely NO problem drinking the rest that were in the fridge, after beating the husband away from that shelf with a broom. (987 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

This pours from 12oz bottle a clear amber with a very small head of foam that recedes rapidly.

The smell is of sweet malt, some roastiness, and some hop.

The taste has a good biscuit malt flavour up front with a more than ample hop bitterness that moves in about midway through. When I swish it in my mouth, I taste some earthy and roasted malt notes and overall, this is a pretty good tasting little beer and I find it's quite quaffable.

The mouthfeel is medium light, the carbo is medium, and it finishes fairly dry. I'd buy this again, no problem. (553 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle bearing the date 9.28.07 (followed by 06:05, whatever that's supposed to mean) into a pint glass. Consumed at about 45 degrees to start. Accompanied by some pork ribs and Spanish rice.

The beer pours a pretty reddish-orange with a thin head that dissipates briskly. Carbonation is minimal, as is lacing.

It has a very rich scent - just a little hoppy, and sort of, for lack of a better word, peppery. Very pleasing.

The taste doesn't quite hold up to the smell. I don't really get any hops here, nor much of anything to mull over. A little malty, for a lager, but not very complicated.

This brew is smooth, goes down easy, and without much of an aftertaste. I could probably drink a few of these without any problem, but I'm not sure why I would. I enjoyed it, but not enough that I would go looking for it again. It's a pretty looking beer that's easy to drink, and offers a little more than your typical macro lager, but it didn't really do anything for me. Here's looking forward to 99.

Edit: Why is this beer classified as an Amber Ale? It clearly identifies itself as an Amber Lager, and I have no reason to doubt that claim after drinking it. Does someone here know something that Spoetzl doesn't? (1,246 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Poured an amber color with an off white head

S - Is of sweet caramel malt with a touch of honey

T - Theres more of a roasted malt taste with some hops getting through

M - I thought that this one felt a little thin with light carbonation

D - Only if Shiner could make there regular beers at a level like this one sure its not the best beer in the world but for the price its a damn good beer (398 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

Enjoyed fresh from a tub of melted ice on a warm sunny afternoon under shade trees with good friends.

Typical appearance. Crystal-clear deep-copper body with a bit of a crimson cast and glowing orange highlights. The frothy light-tan head holds well and leaves some very decent lacing behind on the glass as it goes.

The aroma displays the "juicy" Vienna malt character that's to be expected. It's fruity and gently caramelish and bready backed by some softly grassy and floral hops (citrusy as well?).

That "juicy" Vienna malt character carries over into the flavor, and it's gently malty with a toasty and caramelish character and a splash of 'fruitiness'. Grassy and floral hop flavors and a firm bitterness round and balance it; and it finishes clean, dry, and refreshing.

A flavorful, refreshing lager that offers enough malt and hops to keep it interesting, and enough balance and drinkability to keep you coming back. Nicely done. (941 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured a pale, clear copper color with a fairly large light tan head. The head was a little thin but still looked okay. Nose was fairly clean; some toast/biscuit, a smattering of malt, and some hops in the background. Good malt-leaning taste. Not overly sweet but well-balanced by a lingering bitterness. The Munich malt was apparent but not overwhelming. Mouthfeel was good; some prickliness there from the carbonation. Drinkability was very good.

Another solid effort from Shiner. I don't like it quite as much as the 97 but it's in the ballpark. Reminds me of an altbier in some ways. The label is cool, too. Go find some of this before it's gone. (651 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +3.4%

Bright pumpkin with amber accents when the glass is backlit with the rising sun outside my front window. A vigorous pour netted two fingers of tight-bubbled foam that is somewhere between ecru and ivory.

The nose is surprisingly good as well. It's fresh grain-like, with a toasted, earthy, Munich maltiness that doesn't need to be any more prominent. 80% pale and 20% Munich (see the pie chart on the website) seems about right for beer of this style.

Why are there so few Vienna lagers being brewed. It's a style that should appeal to a wide variety of beer drinkers due to its balance and crisp, easy drinkability. An ABV of 4.9% makes this one tailor-made for sessioning.

Shiner 98 features a toasted bread maltiness whose modest sweetness is complemented by floral, herbal Hallertau hops (Hallertau Tradition for bittering/flavor and Hallertau Hersbrucker for aroma). 30 IBUs is another reason why this hophead approves.

The mouthfeel is appropriately light, but it's also a bit harshly bubbled rather than being creamy and smooth. More quality here *might* have bumped both taste and drinkablity scores another notch.

Shiner 98 Bavarian Style Amber is a better than adequate Vienna lager and is probably the best Spoetzl beer that I've reviewed so far (along with '96'). Maybe '99' will be at least as good. Or, better yet... better. (1,344 characters)

Shiner 98 Bavarian Style Amber from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner