Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Munich Helles Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: goochpunch on 02-29-2008

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.82/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty cloudy, golden, 1-finger head, no retention, no lacing. I can't say it's too attractive.

S: Lemon, toasted bread, sugary fruit. Smells a little cloying, but we'll see...

T: Nice fruity bite in the front, good malt. A little cloying, as I thought. Aftertaste of alcohol and fruit, along with a bit of yeasty bread. I'm not a fan of this one.

M: Too carbonated for my taste. Non-astringent, medium-light bodied, slightly syrupy. A bit watery.

D: Drinks alright, but it's not doing it for me. (503 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: An almost brass coloring, otherwise known as gold with hints of orange tones to them. Poured a nice head that was gone within minutes. No lace to speak of.

Aroma: Sharp acidic tones covering up whatever grain is there. Hops seemingly not present, unless it's the cause of the acidic smell.

Taste: light, almost waterlike at first. Grain comes a bit later on the finish. Passable, but not a beer to bowl you over with flavor.

Mouthfeel: Sharp at first, but the carbonation quickly fades away to a watery limpness.

Drinkability: I suppose it's okay for a regional brew. But it seems rather unremarkable. Neither bad not good. I won't remember what this tasted like in a few hours. (695 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -17.5%

Clear golden straw color with adequate bubbly white head.

Smells of grainy light malts with a metallic edge, some carbonic whiffs Smells like BMC.

Tastes pretty much as the aroma would imply, mostly a grainy light flavor with plenty of carbonation, somewhat crisp but a bit sweet. Has that grainy (corn?) flavor that every Shiner beer has, so you know youre drinking a Shiner product.

Not bad. Could be more to style, bit heavier malt and less carbonation. (459 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a deep honeyed gold with very little carbonation and a quickly dissipating head. Extra points because the color is nice. Predominant smell is a sweet bready malt plus grains and a faint hop presence.

Taste is fairly disappointing with excessive graininess and that metallic shiner taste. Hops redeem the finish followed by a lingering vanilla malt sweetness on the tongue, but these characteristics are too subtle and don't make a big impact on the overall taste. Nice carbonation but this is fairly thick and hard to put down. (535 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%

The beer pours a honey golden color with a small head and no retention, but it does leave a little lace on the glass.

Smells like apple juice with a hint of grain. The taste is lightly toasted grain and just enough hop oiliness and bitterness to finish it off. However, the metallic aftertaste kind of ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel is crisp, albeit a little thick and not what I was expecting at all. As far as drinkability goes, judging from the metallic aftertaste and the heartburn I'm getting as I'm drinking the beer (and I rarely get heartburn), I definitely don't want another. (589 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

I'm not a fan of Pilsners. But I am a fan of Shiner, so I had to try it.

Pours out to a nice Golden Color, with a white head. Aroma is strong. But the taste is bland. It's not bad, but it's nothing that will make you say "whoa".

This will be my first and last 6'er of 99 (273 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -23.1%

The Shiner line-up is usually my cheap beer of choice, and the anniversary editions have been fairly decent, though generally not as good as the regular Shiner Bock.

Shiner 99, however, is the most disappointing brew to come out of Shiner. All I could think of from the time I opened to bottle until the last sip was "Shiner has re-bottled Bud Light and slapped their logo on it". Utterly disappointing, indeed. I hope they can redeem themselves with Shiner 100. (464 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

I poured this brew into a pint glass and was surprised at how much it resembled your average commercial lager in color - pure straw. I know it's a lager but I was expecting something a little more. I should have predicted the taste by the color. There was simply nothing there. It tasted like a Coors to me. Not too good. (321 characters)

2.51/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It was a light golden color with a ton of carbonation and no lacing. It had a finger of fizzy off-white head that quickly dissipated into almost nothing.

The aroma was very weak. It was malty, bready and sweet. Really didn't get the light hops that others mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the style so it would already have gotten a low score but even for the style this one seemed weak in aroma and taste. The taste was barely there. Had as much taste as a BMC really. Again, even for the style it seemed weak. Mouthfeel was decent.

Overall, it's just not a very good beer. It really lacks in aroma and taste. The whole series has been lacking which is a shame. When I first moved to Texas 15 years ago, Shiner really turned me on to good beers but they seem to have lost their way since getting bigger. One and done for me. Don't recommend. (889 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%

12oz bottle barely past its prime (a best by date of 03/04/2009), into a Pilsner glass.

Pours a clear, pale golden body with an overactive carbonation level. Not much head to speak of, in fact what little amount of off-white foam that did show up quickly vanished to nothingness--Nada. Zilch. The smell is nice, but nothing to write home about. A hint of corn cereal here, a touch of sweetness from the crystal malt there. A slight balance from some German hop varieties, but they've certainly faded with time (thus I adjusted my score accordingly).

Tastes like an over-carbonated Miller Lite (WITHOUT the triple hops!). Some cooked corn, rice, and cereal, very little sweetness or zestiness. Ugh...pretty unimpressive stuff all things considered. Body is uber-fizzy and paper-thin, with a slightly metallic finish. The carbonation level reminds me of seltzer water, imparting an almost sour note to the experience. Now, this wasn't exactly a drainpour for me, but it sure was close. Shiner hasn't really impressed me yet since my move to TX, and unfortunately their Munich Helles is another miss. (1,101 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -42.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours out a very clear brassy honey with some sparse bubble movement. Head starts off thinnish and eggshell but then soon disappears, leaving just a white ring around the inside of the glass. Smell is rather grainy with some cooked vegetable smell mixed in. As I poured it, I could get a good whiff of some earthy hops, but as I smell it now, it's hard to pick out over the grain. Taste starts off with some faint malt sweetness then gets really grainy and sticky sweet in the middle. Towards the end, I get a slight medicinal quality and some "corniness" (although, I'm almost positive that this would be all-malt). I can really only pick out the herbal hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of light but kind of sticky. Carbonation feels like it's foaming in the mouth. Yeah, I don't like this. This is to helles lager what Shiner Bock is to bocks. Is this the blonde relabeled (only half-joking)? (903 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a late sunset gold colour .... a truly gross aroma emanates from my glass ... some foam buts disappears in minutes ...Taste is messed up and too muddled for me to carry on.... A HUGE disappointment! ..if you think Shiner Bock is bad, which i really can't drink anymore, this will make you shiver, my lowest Shiner beer to date...

I know i am being a bit harsh on this one, but it really seems to lack pride... that being said, the best thing about this beer is the cap! (476 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last