Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles LagerShiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goochpunch on 02-29-2008)
1.88/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours out a very clear brassy honey with some sparse bubble movement. Head starts off thinnish and eggshell but then soon disappears, leaving just a white ring around the inside of the glass. Smell is rather grainy with some cooked vegetable smell mixed in. As I poured it, I could get a good whiff of some earthy hops, but as I smell it now, it's hard to pick out over the grain. Taste starts off with some faint malt sweetness then gets really grainy and sticky sweet in the middle. Towards the end, I get a slight medicinal quality and some "corniness" (although, I'm almost positive that this would be all-malt). I can really only pick out the herbal hops in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is kind of light but kind of sticky. Carbonation feels like it's foaming in the mouth. Yeah, I don't like this. This is to helles lager what Shiner Bock is to bocks. Is this the blonde relabeled (only half-joking)?

goochpunch, Feb 29, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -43.3%

Pours a late sunset gold colour .... a truly gross aroma emanates from my glass ... some foam buts disappears in minutes ...Taste is messed up and too muddled for me to carry on.... A HUGE disappointment! ..if you think Shiner Bock is bad, which i really can't drink anymore, this will make you shiver, my lowest Shiner beer to date...

I know i am being a bit harsh on this one, but it really seems to lack pride... that being said, the best thing about this beer is the cap!

Onslow, Mar 29, 2008

tigrstylz, Jan 20, 2012

garyford, Feb 14, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -28.4%

12oz bottle barely past its prime (a best by date of 03/04/2009), into a Pilsner glass.

Pours a clear, pale golden body with an overactive carbonation level. Not much head to speak of, in fact what little amount of off-white foam that did show up quickly vanished to nothingness--Nada. Zilch. The smell is nice, but nothing to write home about. A hint of corn cereal here, a touch of sweetness from the crystal malt there. A slight balance from some German hop varieties, but they've certainly faded with time (thus I adjusted my score accordingly).

Tastes like an over-carbonated Miller Lite (WITHOUT the triple hops!). Some cooked corn, rice, and cereal, very little sweetness or zestiness. Ugh...pretty unimpressive stuff all things considered. Body is uber-fizzy and paper-thin, with a slightly metallic finish. The carbonation level reminds me of seltzer water, imparting an almost sour note to the experience. Now, this wasn't exactly a drainpour for me, but it sure was close. Shiner hasn't really impressed me yet since my move to TX, and unfortunately their Munich Helles is another miss.

wagenvolks, Apr 23, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It was a light golden color with a ton of carbonation and no lacing. It had a finger of fizzy off-white head that quickly dissipated into almost nothing.

The aroma was very weak. It was malty, bready and sweet. Really didn't get the light hops that others mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the style so it would already have gotten a low score but even for the style this one seemed weak in aroma and taste. The taste was barely there. Had as much taste as a BMC really. Again, even for the style it seemed weak. Mouthfeel was decent.

Overall, it's just not a very good beer. It really lacks in aroma and taste. The whole series has been lacking which is a shame. When I first moved to Texas 15 years ago, Shiner really turned me on to good beers but they seem to have lost their way since getting bigger. One and done for me. Don't recommend.

TexIndy, Nov 10, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

I poured this brew into a pint glass and was surprised at how much it resembled your average commercial lager in color - pure straw. I know it's a lager but I was expecting something a little more. I should have predicted the taste by the color. There was simply nothing there. It tasted like a Coors to me. Not too good.

HoppyMcStout, Sep 13, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -23.9%

The Shiner line-up is usually my cheap beer of choice, and the anniversary editions have been fairly decent, though generally not as good as the regular Shiner Bock.

Shiner 99, however, is the most disappointing brew to come out of Shiner. All I could think of from the time I opened to bottle until the last sip was "Shiner has re-bottled Bud Light and slapped their logo on it". Utterly disappointing, indeed. I hope they can redeem themselves with Shiner 100.

Ryno98, Mar 31, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -22.4%

I'm not a fan of Pilsners. But I am a fan of Shiner, so I had to try it.

Pours out to a nice Golden Color, with a white head. Aroma is strong. But the taste is bland. It's not bad, but it's nothing that will make you say "whoa".

This will be my first and last 6'er of 99

whoneeds8, Mar 08, 2008
2.68/5  rDev -20%

The beer pours a honey golden color with a small head and no retention, but it does leave a little lace on the glass.

Smells like apple juice with a hint of grain. The taste is lightly toasted grain and just enough hop oiliness and bitterness to finish it off. However, the metallic aftertaste kind of ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel is crisp, albeit a little thick and not what I was expecting at all. As far as drinkability goes, judging from the metallic aftertaste and the heartburn I'm getting as I'm drinking the beer (and I rarely get heartburn), I definitely don't want another.

daythree16, May 17, 2008
2.72/5  rDev -18.8%

grahamboudreaux, Aug 30, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

ChaosKittyXJ9, Jan 13, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours a deep honeyed gold with very little carbonation and a quickly dissipating head. Extra points because the color is nice. Predominant smell is a sweet bready malt plus grains and a faint hop presence.

Taste is fairly disappointing with excessive graininess and that metallic shiner taste. Hops redeem the finish followed by a lingering vanilla malt sweetness on the tongue, but these characteristics are too subtle and don't make a big impact on the overall taste. Nice carbonation but this is fairly thick and hard to put down.

jwff, Mar 03, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Poured a golden color with a white head

S - Is of sweet grainy malt close to a macro

T - Disappointing really just a notch above a macro grainy malt stands out

M - Has a medium body with light to med carbonation

D - This is nothing more than a fancy lawn mower beer I thought the 98 was good but this one is a down grade

armock, Mar 09, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty cloudy, golden, 1-finger head, no retention, no lacing. I can't say it's too attractive.

S: Lemon, toasted bread, sugary fruit. Smells a little cloying, but we'll see...

T: Nice fruity bite in the front, good malt. A little cloying, as I thought. Aftertaste of alcohol and fruit, along with a bit of yeasty bread. I'm not a fan of this one.

M: Too carbonated for my taste. Non-astringent, medium-light bodied, slightly syrupy. A bit watery.

D: Drinks alright, but it's not doing it for me.

ralree, Jun 22, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Clear golden straw color with adequate bubbly white head.

Smells of grainy light malts with a metallic edge, some carbonic whiffs Smells like BMC.

Tastes pretty much as the aroma would imply, mostly a grainy light flavor with plenty of carbonation, somewhat crisp but a bit sweet. Has that grainy (corn?) flavor that every Shiner beer has, so you know youre drinking a Shiner product.

Not bad. Could be more to style, bit heavier malt and less carbonation.

BeerZack, Mar 01, 2008
2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: An almost brass coloring, otherwise known as gold with hints of orange tones to them. Poured a nice head that was gone within minutes. No lace to speak of.

Aroma: Sharp acidic tones covering up whatever grain is there. Hops seemingly not present, unless it's the cause of the acidic smell.

Taste: light, almost waterlike at first. Grain comes a bit later on the finish. Passable, but not a beer to bowl you over with flavor.

Mouthfeel: Sharp at first, but the carbonation quickly fades away to a watery limpness.

Drinkability: I suppose it's okay for a regional brew. But it seems rather unremarkable. Neither bad not good. I won't remember what this tasted like in a few hours.

AccidentalKate, Apr 20, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

The aroma is corn malt, sour kraut, and grass hops. The appearance is pale gold with a small head. The flavor is like the aroma but not as cheap or sour as I was expecting. The palate is thin but right for the style. Overall its not a good beer but I find it drinkable none the less.

nick76, Jan 15, 2009
2.88/5  rDev -14%

Poured golden typical beer color with white foamy head tha quickly disappeared. This is what I remember beer looking like before BA. Not much smell on the smell, but a little bit of grainy malt with subdued hops and the taste is not too much different. Not a lot of hop bitterness. A little bit of a corn flavor. Giving me memories of budweiser. Mouthfeel not bad-carbonated appropriately. This is a better version of American pilsner but not as interesting as Czech/German Pils. Would go down easy on a hot Texas day, but I wouldn't seek it out.

hopsleeroy, Mar 21, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -14%

Had it on tap at Cain and Abels in Austin.

Appearance- A golden straw color. Had a very thin head that disappeared quickly and no real lacing.

Smell- Hints of citrus and perhaps some wheat.

Taste- Malty and what seemed almost like corn. Weak aftertaste that was almost metallic. Not very complex.

Mouthfeel- Fairly watery. Once again, nothing complex or special.

Drinkability- I like Shiner beers usually, but I was not overly impressed with this one. To me it tasted like a better Lonestar, which is nice but nothing special, especially for a limited time beer. I could see myself ordering a few of these if there wasn't much else, but I'm in no hurry to have it again.

mizzourah, Jan 06, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a rich golden color with a medium shortly lasting head in a lager glass. Smell is lemony almost with light sweet malt mainly and some stale-ish cardboardy grain notes. Taste is malty, refreshing and simple, much like a kolsch. Hint of bittering hops to balance, but still slightly sweet overall, and very easy drinking. Nothing fancy but an acceptable lawnmower beer.

JDV, Apr 06, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Brought this back in the bottle from Austin. Popped it open tonight to finally try it out as it's available in my area and I wanted to know if it was worth buying a sixer of before they all disappeared.

Appearance - golden orange with light head that goes away almost immediately. It's appetizing but a bit bland at the same time.

Smell - Malty with touches of skunkiness (like Heinkenen) and a dash of citrus hops but that's very very ephemeral and very much so in the background.

Taste - Very malty with earthen hints. A bit of a light bitter finish from hops but you can't even discern their taste, just that the bitterness of the carbonation finish comes from hops. Overall, it's nice but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - clean and smooth, with a full body that lingers well past the final drop swallowed. There's a bit of bitterness with a hint of carbonation and definitely not enough carbonation. It's a bit subpar.

Drinkability - quite average, I'm happy to finish this beer, would drink another if it was free, but I wouldn't go and buy a sixer of this. It doesn't really offer me anything new that another Munich Helles wouldn't fulfill.

xare, Jul 29, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -11%

Acquired via trade from briety, so a big "Thank You" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a very thin white head that fades almost instantly and leaves no lace on the glass at all.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, grain and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is bready and a little sweet with flavors of grainy malts and some spice. There's a very mild hops presence that provides a little balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not filling at all, mild kick, decent representation of style, other than the "Munich Style Helles" in the name of the beer, I didn't really find much of anything that separates this beer from the average macro.

TheManiacalOne, May 25, 2008

12oz bottle into pilsner glass.

Crystal clear light golden hue with a one finger light tan head that slowly settles to almost nothing.

Very light grain aromas. Not much hopiness to speak of.

The flavor is very light, with only a little sweet grain. Barely any bitterness, which is uncharacteristic of the style. Light bodied with good carbonation. Clean finish.

I guess this would be refreshing in the summer but there really isn't much flavor to it. It's almost bland for a regular all-malt lager.

BeerSox, Aug 18, 2008