Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles LagerShiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: goochpunch on 02-29-2008

1.88/5  rDev -44.4%

Pours a late sunset gold colour .... a truly gross aroma emanates from my glass ... some foam buts disappears in minutes ...Taste is messed up and too muddled for me to carry on.... A HUGE disappointment! ..if you think Shiner Bock is bad, which i really can't drink anymore, this will make you shiver, my lowest Shiner beer to date...

I know i am being a bit harsh on this one, but it really seems to lack pride... that being said, the best thing about this beer is the cap! (476 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a medium golden color with about a half finger white head that lasts for a little while before subsiding to a thin ring and leaving a small amount of lacing.

Aroma of malt and wheat with some slight notes of spice.

Taste is quite malty with a little bit of citrus and spice.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation. This is another fairly drinkable, but rather bland offering from Shiner. All of their offerings seem to be decent but still leave much to be desired. Compared to the 98, I'd say they lowered the bar a little bit from the previous year. (557 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty cloudy, golden, 1-finger head, no retention, no lacing. I can't say it's too attractive.

S: Lemon, toasted bread, sugary fruit. Smells a little cloying, but we'll see...

T: Nice fruity bite in the front, good malt. A little cloying, as I thought. Aftertaste of alcohol and fruit, along with a bit of yeasty bread. I'm not a fan of this one.

M: Too carbonated for my taste. Non-astringent, medium-light bodied, slightly syrupy. A bit watery.

D: Drinks alright, but it's not doing it for me. (503 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.1%

I'm not a fan of Pilsners. But I am a fan of Shiner, so I had to try it.

Pours out to a nice Golden Color, with a white head. Aroma is strong. But the taste is bland. It's not bad, but it's nothing that will make you say "whoa".

This will be my first and last 6'er of 99 (273 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass. I'm a big fan of Shiner beers, but this is not one of my favorites. It has a light yellow color without much head. You can smell the hops and malts with a hint of spices. The taste is a little too malty for me. Slight hops, but not much. It's drinkable, but not one I'd drink several of. I liked the 98 much better. (360 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +22.2%

A - Pours up crystal clear and golden with a small white head.

S - Slight malt aroma, dominated by noble hops.

T - Malt sweetness with nice balance of hops. Very smooth. Finishes slightly sweet with a bitter hop taste at the back of the tongue.

M - Very good.

D - Extremely drinkable beer, This is a nice improvement over the amber. (338 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer is pale gold with almost no head. It's brilliantly clear and a nice bit of carbonation. The nose on the beer is malty, but not as bready as I would have liked. Not much there. The beer has a nice spicy/noble hop, but not much malt back bone. There is a slight bit of bready/malty flavour. The mouthfeel is light and aqueous, and there is a nice carbonation bite and a crisp bite. This is quite drinkable. (413 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance: Straw pale yellow. Crystal clear. Fleeting white head.

Smell: Smells of noble hops. Slightly skunked. Malt aromas present along with some crystal.

Taste: Skunked beer. Noble hops. moderate bitterness. Sweet malty aftertaste. Pleasant to drink.

Mouthfeel: Slight tinge of carbonation. Light body.

Drinkability: Much better than BMC. kinda reminds me of Heineken with the skunky hop flavor. would buy again. This would be nicer with a longer lasting head. Hop bitterness, flavor and aroma dead on for style. Nice beer (533 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12 oz brown bottle. Pours a nice bright golden yellow with a quickly fading white head. Pleasing sweet malt aroma with a hint of spicy hops. Taste is on the malty side with a smooth as silk mouthfeel. Maybe I was just in the mood for something like this but I just really liked this beer. (288 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

A : Pours an orange golden color with minimal head

S : Sweet malt aroma with some citrus notes

T : Starts with a slight malt flavor that turns into a nice hop flavor. A good bitterness at the finish

M : Crisp and light

D : Not one of their better anniversary beers but not bad at all. One that I can drink multiple ones of. (327 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours a bright, clear, yellow straw color with ample suds. Smells of grain malts and a very faint sweetness/honey and hop spice. Taste of forward leaning malt with hops that lean to the back. Light-medium mouthfeel with calm carbonation and average drinkability for a Munich lager. A common representation of the style that pays tribute to Shiner's rich German tradition and heritage. (384 characters)

3.38/5  rDev 0%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner style glass.

A: Pours to a very nice golden color with a good looking amount of body to the beer as well. Pretty good head, as well as lacing on the glass.

S: Nose of this brew is good, but reminds me a whole lot of a Pabst Blue Ribbon (which is not a bad thing). I would call it your basic "Helles" aroma of mostly sweet malt but a nice touch of hops in there as well.

T & M: Starts off with a good dose of sweet malt, kind of has some pear like sweetness in there that nicely mixes with the hops. The graininess that I taste in other Shiner Beers is there as well, which seems out of place for the style. The finish is probably its biggest downfall, as it's fairly weak and more sour than bitter. Mouthfeel is solid for the style, as it isn't watery.

D & Notes: Overall, this is a decent stab at the Munich Helles Lager style. I cannot confirm this, but I think there are probably some cheapened ingredients that go into this brew (a true Helles brewed in Germany can only be brewed with water, hops, malt, and yeast), but I can't confirm this. The graininess in the flavor seems to point to that being the case though. That being said, this is a pretty decent drinking brew. Not a "helles" I would probably buy again, but certainly not a half bad effort. (1,301 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked up randomly.

A - pours a golden transparent color with a very thin white head that quickly subsided

S - hints of hops give notes of citrus and fruit held together by a malty backbone

T - almost tart initially, maltiness really dominates

M - light bodied and pretty bright, definitely some carbonation present

D - this isn't my favorite style, but I had several of these the other night and enjoyed knocking them back. Pretty drinkable I'd say. (455 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -19.5%

The beer pours a honey golden color with a small head and no retention, but it does leave a little lace on the glass.

Smells like apple juice with a hint of grain. The taste is lightly toasted grain and just enough hop oiliness and bitterness to finish it off. However, the metallic aftertaste kind of ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel is crisp, albeit a little thick and not what I was expecting at all. As far as drinkability goes, judging from the metallic aftertaste and the heartburn I'm getting as I'm drinking the beer (and I rarely get heartburn), I definitely don't want another. (589 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +3%

Good beer, although I would say this is one of the beers that could be used with most any food it felt like it was a little floaty. by floaty I mean too carbonated, or I dunno it just felt kind of full bodied but it seemed to miss something in it. I cannot put my finger on it. It is good I do like it but I felt like some thing was missing from this beer. (356 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -25.4%

I poured this brew into a pint glass and was surprised at how much it resembled your average commercial lager in color - pure straw. I know it's a lager but I was expecting something a little more. I should have predicted the taste by the color. There was simply nothing there. It tasted like a Coors to me. Not too good. (321 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I reluctantly bought this beer. Normally I'm not much of a Shiner fan but I was on a recent beer run and picked up a single bottle, "what the hell".
Poured into a standard pint glass. Light golden color and very bubbly. Had about 1/2 inch of head.
Taste was very much spot on to a Munich Helles. I drank a lot of Helles when I was in Germany in October. I really love this style and it isn't produced much in the states. I like to have a break sometimes between the Stouts, barleywines and DIPA's that I normally drink.

This is a very quaffable brew.

I would love to try this on tap in a Masse (Liter stein). (614 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Despite the fact that Shiner's standard lineup is less than stellar (OK, they pretty much suck, being terrible examples of the styles they purport to be), I think that they have done OK with their anniversary series. Not great, but OK. Picked up this one because I am a fan of the style, and this one deserves a decent appraisal.

I am kind of surprised at the previous reviews...my opinion is that this beer is a very good example of the Munich Helles style and just a well-executed beer overall.

Aroma: Grainy malt character, with a hint of sweetness, very light DMS (OK for style), with a low floral, slightly spicy hop aroma. The label says Hallertau hops, and that fits. Without a doubt an all-malt beer. No adjuncts in this one, which fits the style too.

Appearance: Pale gold, brilliant clarity with a fluffy white head that diminishes a bit too rapidly. Moderate carbonation is apparent.

Taste: Grainy, malty sweetness that is almost, but not quite, balanced by a low level of hop bitterness. Hop flavor is apparent but in the background - again, very spicy and herbal German hops. I imagine this is all pils malt (contributing the graininess) and all Hallertauer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with moderate carbonation that does not overwhelm the palate. No astringency. Despite the fact that this is a malt-forward beer, it is fairly crisp and not at all underattenuated.

Drinkability: Very good - This is one that goes well with light meals. It has enough flavor but is still easy-drinking enough to be a good beer for quaffing sans food.

In short, I am impressed with this beer. It hits the style markers, and is an enjoyable beer to drink as well. (1,661 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Very nice. Clear, good carbonation. What little head there was dissipated rapidly and left no lacing, but that's to be expected. Carbonation continues throughout session.

S: Light, floral hop aroma faintly detected. Straw, hay, and grains make up the rest of the very faint aroma.

T/M/D: Great balance between sweet malty grains and subtle hop notes. Very clean and refreshing. Light bodied, highly drinkable. This beer won't blow you away, but it is a very accurate depiction of the style. And it's a $5 six pack in Texas! (577 characters)

Appearance:
The predominant color is gold, however it has an ever-so-slight orange tint to it. I suppose that this is expected of a lager. Excessive carbonation rises quickly to the top then dissapates. Minimal head forms - not quite one finger.

Smell:
A sweet aroma permeates deeply. Upon deep inhalation, there seems to be just an ever-so-slight hint of lemon. It's quite an inviting aroma.

Taste:
Quite refreshing; slightly sweet and definately not overpowering. The beer is quite hoppy, as this seems to be the predominant flavor. Having only "officially" reviewed a few beers, my palate is not as defined; I can't quite identify the more subtle flavors but they add good "character."

Mouthfeel:
Smooth and clean finishing - just like a good lager. The beer isn't too "heavy" and it doesn't leave much of an after taste.

Drinkability:
It would be quite easy to get carried away with this beer, but for the purposes of this review I'll abstain from doing so. I suppose that this would be a compliment to the brewer properly emulating the style; lagers are typically renowned for their "easy drinkability" (if that is such a phrase).

Summary:
For a specialty beer, I was expecting a little "more." I don't know quite how to explain that, but I guess I was looking for more of a "unique" flavor. However, I can't really rate anything less than "good" because it's still a pretty good beer. I've only gotten to experience the Bock back home in Illinois, so I'm fortunate that I've gotten the opportunity to try and review some of Shiner's other brews out-of-state. (1,570 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -12.7%

Brought this back in the bottle from Austin. Popped it open tonight to finally try it out as it's available in my area and I wanted to know if it was worth buying a sixer of before they all disappeared.

Appearance - golden orange with light head that goes away almost immediately. It's appetizing but a bit bland at the same time.

Smell - Malty with touches of skunkiness (like Heinkenen) and a dash of citrus hops but that's very very ephemeral and very much so in the background.

Taste - Very malty with earthen hints. A bit of a light bitter finish from hops but you can't even discern their taste, just that the bitterness of the carbonation finish comes from hops. Overall, it's nice but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - clean and smooth, with a full body that lingers well past the final drop swallowed. There's a bit of bitterness with a hint of carbonation and definitely not enough carbonation. It's a bit subpar.

Drinkability - quite average, I'm happy to finish this beer, would drink another if it was free, but I wouldn't go and buy a sixer of this. It doesn't really offer me anything new that another Munich Helles wouldn't fulfill. (1,148 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured golden typical beer color with white foamy head tha quickly disappeared. This is what I remember beer looking like before BA. Not much smell on the smell, but a little bit of grainy malt with subdued hops and the taste is not too much different. Not a lot of hop bitterness. A little bit of a corn flavor. Giving me memories of budweiser. Mouthfeel not bad-carbonated appropriately. This is a better version of American pilsner but not as interesting as Czech/German Pils. Would go down easy on a hot Texas day, but I wouldn't seek it out. (546 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a deep honeyed gold with very little carbonation and a quickly dissipating head. Extra points because the color is nice. Predominant smell is a sweet bready malt plus grains and a faint hop presence.

Taste is fairly disappointing with excessive graininess and that metallic shiner taste. Hops redeem the finish followed by a lingering vanilla malt sweetness on the tongue, but these characteristics are too subtle and don't make a big impact on the overall taste. Nice carbonation but this is fairly thick and hard to put down. (535 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +13%

This beer is a crystal clear gold(bright). It has a small head that fades fast. Nice sweet malt aroma with a bit of hops in it. I don't detect any adjuncts in the flavor at all. I would say this beer is true to style. Very good malt and hop balance and extremly easy drinking. Leaves a little residual sweet flavor on the palate. I hope Shiner keeps this beer around. (367 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +16%

This beer is a crystal clear gold(bright). It has a small head that fades fast. Nice sweet malt aroma with a bit of hops in it. I don't detect any adjuncts in the flavor at all. I would say this beer is true to style. Very good malt and hop balance and extremly easy drinking. Leaves a little residual sweet flavor on the palate. I hope Shiner keeps this beer around. The bottle looks good too. (394 characters)

Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner