Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner 99 Munich Style Helles LagerShiner 99 Munich Style Helles Lager

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: goochpunch on 02-29-2008)
daythree16

Tennessee

2.68/5  rDev -20%

The beer pours a honey golden color with a small head and no retention, but it does leave a little lace on the glass.

Smells like apple juice with a hint of grain. The taste is lightly toasted grain and just enough hop oiliness and bitterness to finish it off. However, the metallic aftertaste kind of ruins the whole thing.

Mouthfeel is crisp, albeit a little thick and not what I was expecting at all. As far as drinkability goes, judging from the metallic aftertaste and the heartburn I'm getting as I'm drinking the beer (and I rarely get heartburn), I definitely don't want another.

05-17-2008 04:45:17 | More by daythree16
skeetermoses

Oklahoma

3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Good beer, although I would say this is one of the beers that could be used with most any food it felt like it was a little floaty. by floaty I mean too carbonated, or I dunno it just felt kind of full bodied but it seemed to miss something in it. I cannot put my finger on it. It is good I do like it but I felt like some thing was missing from this beer.

12-01-2008 05:15:06 | More by skeetermoses
Bagman007

3.38/5  rDev +0.9%

Served in a bottle poured into a pint glass. I'm a big fan of Shiner beers, but this is not one of my favorites. It has a light yellow color without much head. You can smell the hops and malts with a hint of spices. The taste is a little too malty for me. Slight hops, but not much. It's drinkable, but not one I'd drink several of. I liked the 98 much better.

12-02-2008 03:47:48 | More by Bagman007
beertastegood

4.22/5  rDev +26%

Despite the fact that Shiner's standard lineup is less than stellar (OK, they pretty much suck, being terrible examples of the styles they purport to be), I think that they have done OK with their anniversary series. Not great, but OK. Picked up this one because I am a fan of the style, and this one deserves a decent appraisal.

I am kind of surprised at the previous reviews...my opinion is that this beer is a very good example of the Munich Helles style and just a well-executed beer overall.

Aroma: Grainy malt character, with a hint of sweetness, very light DMS (OK for style), with a low floral, slightly spicy hop aroma. The label says Hallertau hops, and that fits. Without a doubt an all-malt beer. No adjuncts in this one, which fits the style too.

Appearance: Pale gold, brilliant clarity with a fluffy white head that diminishes a bit too rapidly. Moderate carbonation is apparent.

Taste: Grainy, malty sweetness that is almost, but not quite, balanced by a low level of hop bitterness. Hop flavor is apparent but in the background - again, very spicy and herbal German hops. I imagine this is all pils malt (contributing the graininess) and all Hallertauer.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, with moderate carbonation that does not overwhelm the palate. No astringency. Despite the fact that this is a malt-forward beer, it is fairly crisp and not at all underattenuated.

Drinkability: Very good - This is one that goes well with light meals. It has enough flavor but is still easy-drinking enough to be a good beer for quaffing sans food.

In short, I am impressed with this beer. It hits the style markers, and is an enjoyable beer to drink as well.

03-02-2008 18:58:31 | More by beertastegood
JonathanL7890

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

I reluctantly bought this beer. Normally I'm not much of a Shiner fan but I was on a recent beer run and picked up a single bottle, "what the hell".
Poured into a standard pint glass. Light golden color and very bubbly. Had about 1/2 inch of head.
Taste was very much spot on to a Munich Helles. I drank a lot of Helles when I was in Germany in October. I really love this style and it isn't produced much in the states. I like to have a break sometimes between the Stouts, barleywines and DIPA's that I normally drink.

This is a very quaffable brew.

I would love to try this on tap in a Masse (Liter stein).

03-27-2008 03:04:01 | More by JonathanL7890
HoppyMcStout

Missouri

2.5/5  rDev -25.4%

I poured this brew into a pint glass and was surprised at how much it resembled your average commercial lager in color - pure straw. I know it's a lager but I was expecting something a little more. I should have predicted the taste by the color. There was simply nothing there. It tasted like a Coors to me. Not too good.

09-13-2008 01:08:30 | More by HoppyMcStout
diabecktic

Appearance:
The predominant color is gold, however it has an ever-so-slight orange tint to it. I suppose that this is expected of a lager. Excessive carbonation rises quickly to the top then dissapates. Minimal head forms - not quite one finger.

Smell:
A sweet aroma permeates deeply. Upon deep inhalation, there seems to be just an ever-so-slight hint of lemon. It's quite an inviting aroma.

Taste:
Quite refreshing; slightly sweet and definately not overpowering. The beer is quite hoppy, as this seems to be the predominant flavor. Having only "officially" reviewed a few beers, my palate is not as defined; I can't quite identify the more subtle flavors but they add good "character."

Mouthfeel:
Smooth and clean finishing - just like a good lager. The beer isn't too "heavy" and it doesn't leave much of an after taste.

Drinkability:
It would be quite easy to get carried away with this beer, but for the purposes of this review I'll abstain from doing so. I suppose that this would be a compliment to the brewer properly emulating the style; lagers are typically renowned for their "easy drinkability" (if that is such a phrase).

Summary:
For a specialty beer, I was expecting a little "more." I don't know quite how to explain that, but I guess I was looking for more of a "unique" flavor. However, I can't really rate anything less than "good" because it's still a pretty good beer. I've only gotten to experience the Bock back home in Illinois, so I'm fortunate that I've gotten the opportunity to try and review some of Shiner's other brews out-of-state.

07-10-2008 03:15:20 | More by diabecktic
xare

2.95/5  rDev -11.9%

Brought this back in the bottle from Austin. Popped it open tonight to finally try it out as it's available in my area and I wanted to know if it was worth buying a sixer of before they all disappeared.

Appearance - golden orange with light head that goes away almost immediately. It's appetizing but a bit bland at the same time.

Smell - Malty with touches of skunkiness (like Heinkenen) and a dash of citrus hops but that's very very ephemeral and very much so in the background.

Taste - Very malty with earthen hints. A bit of a light bitter finish from hops but you can't even discern their taste, just that the bitterness of the carbonation finish comes from hops. Overall, it's nice but nothing special.

Mouthfeel - clean and smooth, with a full body that lingers well past the final drop swallowed. There's a bit of bitterness with a hint of carbonation and definitely not enough carbonation. It's a bit subpar.

Drinkability - quite average, I'm happy to finish this beer, would drink another if it was free, but I wouldn't go and buy a sixer of this. It doesn't really offer me anything new that another Munich Helles wouldn't fulfill.

07-29-2008 01:04:01 | More by xare
hopsleeroy

2.88/5  rDev -14%

Poured golden typical beer color with white foamy head tha quickly disappeared. This is what I remember beer looking like before BA. Not much smell on the smell, but a little bit of grainy malt with subdued hops and the taste is not too much different. Not a lot of hop bitterness. A little bit of a corn flavor. Giving me memories of budweiser. Mouthfeel not bad-carbonated appropriately. This is a better version of American pilsner but not as interesting as Czech/German Pils. Would go down easy on a hot Texas day, but I wouldn't seek it out.

03-21-2008 03:46:34 | More by hopsleeroy
brandoneast

3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours a bright, clear, yellow straw color with ample suds. Smells of grain malts and a very faint sweetness/honey and hop spice. Taste of forward leaning malt with hops that lean to the back. Light-medium mouthfeel with calm carbonation and average drinkability for a Munich lager. A common representation of the style that pays tribute to Shiner's rich German tradition and heritage.

03-05-2008 05:19:21 | More by brandoneast
jwff

Alaska

2.78/5  rDev -17%

Pours a deep honeyed gold with very little carbonation and a quickly dissipating head. Extra points because the color is nice. Predominant smell is a sweet bready malt plus grains and a faint hop presence.

Taste is fairly disappointing with excessive graininess and that metallic shiner taste. Hops redeem the finish followed by a lingering vanilla malt sweetness on the tongue, but these characteristics are too subtle and don't make a big impact on the overall taste. Nice carbonation but this is fairly thick and hard to put down.

03-03-2008 04:18:02 | More by jwff

3.85/5  rDev +14.9%

05-06-2008 03:33:37 | More by jayrod20
ttu94

3.95/5  rDev +17.9%

This beer is a crystal clear gold(bright). It has a small head that fades fast. Nice sweet malt aroma with a bit of hops in it. I don't detect any adjuncts in the flavor at all. I would say this beer is true to style. Very good malt and hop balance and extremly easy drinking. Leaves a little residual sweet flavor on the palate. I hope Shiner keeps this beer around. The bottle looks good too.

03-06-2008 04:13:42 | More by ttu94
hellomcfly

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bottle into tulip glass

A - Pours a bright gold color with about a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly.

S - Sweet corny malts dominate

T - Clean and refreshing. Bready malts and tiny bit of citrus. Little bit of bitterness.

M - Light bodied and a lot of carbonation.

D - Pretty drinkable. Makes for a good summer beer in my mind.

09-08-2008 18:03:53 | More by hellomcfly
KodyBrannon

4.68/5  rDev +39.7%

Poured this beer into a pint glass. Poured a golden color with an almost white head. The smell is grainey, with a touch of malts. The taste is very light, kinda malty, but I do sense a hint of wheat maybe? Anyways, it is a very good clean taste. The mouthfeel is very light and crisp. A very fine beer that if made year round, I would put into constant rotation. The drinkability is very good, I would recomend this beer to anyone. Another great beer from Shiner

08-25-2008 17:07:55 | More by KodyBrannon
tigrstylz

01-20-2012 07:28:11 | More by tigrstylz
yesferro

Mississippi

3.45/5  rDev +3%

Bought a bottle of this at the Corner Store. Tupelo MS

Poors a golden yellow, what little head there was disappeared very fast. Smells like a lager,light on the malt, nothing special there. Pretty crisp, the carbonation is just right. Light citrussy malty flavor, a munich lager done right although a little on the light side on flavor. Not my favorite Shiner though.

04-19-2009 00:05:08 | More by yesferro
beerdiablo

The Shiner brand is practically a state heirloom with each generation of Texans introducing it to the next. While other Texas brewers took the "artistic" road in their offerings, our friends at Spoetzl Brewing have stayed to the middle of the Devil's Backbone.

A Helles lager is offered in celebration of their 99th anniversary. I found it to be refreshing and an interesting contrast to their other offerings.

I feel this beer is FANtastic. This has to be the BEST 99th year anniversary beer from a South Texas brewery that I've ever had.

02-09-2009 01:57:40 | More by beerdiablo
ChaosKittyXJ9

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

01-13-2013 05:24:38 | More by ChaosKittyXJ9
heath1agnew

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

appearance- great golden color with lively carbonation. poured a two finger head that came down to a very thin layer of foam. no real lacing to mention

smell- smells of malt and a sweet smell with a touch of mild hops.

taste- malty, sweet, and crisp. really enjoyed the taste. mouthfeel was nice and even.

drinkability- good session beer.

one of my favorite shiner beers so far.

01-28-2009 14:02:22 | More by heath1agnew
redraiderme2

05-13-2012 03:31:34 | More by redraiderme2
churchillps

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: Very nice. Clear, good carbonation. What little head there was dissipated rapidly and left no lacing, but that's to be expected. Carbonation continues throughout session.

S: Light, floral hop aroma faintly detected. Straw, hay, and grains make up the rest of the very faint aroma.

T/M/D: Great balance between sweet malty grains and subtle hop notes. Very clean and refreshing. Light bodied, highly drinkable. This beer won't blow you away, but it is a very accurate depiction of the style. And it's a $5 six pack in Texas!

03-24-2008 23:20:39 | More by churchillps
AccidentalKate

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: An almost brass coloring, otherwise known as gold with hints of orange tones to them. Poured a nice head that was gone within minutes. No lace to speak of.

Aroma: Sharp acidic tones covering up whatever grain is there. Hops seemingly not present, unless it's the cause of the acidic smell.

Taste: light, almost waterlike at first. Grain comes a bit later on the finish. Passable, but not a beer to bowl you over with flavor.

Mouthfeel: Sharp at first, but the carbonation quickly fades away to a watery limpness.

Drinkability: I suppose it's okay for a regional brew. But it seems rather unremarkable. Neither bad not good. I won't remember what this tasted like in a few hours.

04-19-2009 23:57:53 | More by AccidentalKate
drinksandeats

3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle obtained in Virginia.

Appearance: Uninteresting pale golden/yellow. Lackluster head and bubbles.

Smell: Sweet and cornlike, akin to Miller High Life. I'm disappointed thus far.

Taste: Begins to shine. Begins with a nice mild hit of noble hops, rolling into a clean, refreshing lager. I was expecting some "skunky" element after smelling this beer, but this was happily absent.

Mouthfeel: Good light body. Inviting. Leaves the palate clean.

Drinkability: The taste more than overcomes the off smell. This beer goes down very easily. A very simple beer with a great taste. I could drink the end of a six-pack of this as easily as the first bottle.

07-09-2008 01:04:10 | More by drinksandeats