2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 915 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
lanechaffin

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

11-28-2010 00:05:38 | More by lanechaffin
ValpoExpo

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

10-15-2013 05:20:31 | More by ValpoExpo
Idrinksomuch

Delaware

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now!

11-08-2013 17:19:52 | More by Idrinksomuch
rjr8

4.78/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect.

11-26-2011 21:58:31 | More by rjr8
woodychandler

4.71/5  rDev +33.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It is a rarity anymore when The CANQuest (TM) is the first to review a particular beer in/from a CAN, but this is one of those rare instances! It used to be pretty easy to accomplish this feat, but with the craft CAN revolution on full swing and loads of new CANned beers coming out every day, it has gotten harder. Cheers to The Friendly Greek for making singles of this one available.

From the CAN: "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Greetings from Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color".

The Crack was nice and loud, befitting a Texan beer and my inverted Glug was equally big, to the point that I had to back off to avoid an overflow. While awaiting some of the massive, dense, tawny two-plus fingers of head to fell to a point of reasonable drinability, I took in its color. It was a deep-mahogany (SRM = > 27, < 34) with button-brightness. Man, i could really smell the peaches on the nose! It was like a CAN of preserves. Mouthfeel was medium and the peach flavor was unrelenting, but it also had flavors of milk chocolate and a nuttiness that was the peCANs doing their thing. Finish was pretty sweet, which is usually a drawback for me, but I was really digging this beer. I know that The Friendly Greek also has bottles for sale, so I may give that serving style a try. In the meantime, let me know if you would like me to score a CAN for you in trade for a CAN that I have not tried. Cheers!

Serving type: can

12-07-2013 00:59:39 | More by woodychandler
rexbock

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household.

01-22-2012 06:13:30 | More by rexbock
jmbranum

Oklahoma

4.64/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

12-06-2009 07:25:50 | More by jmbranum
BWE

4.63/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family.

01-07-2014 02:20:19 | More by BWE
OverToad

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

11-15-2008 00:20:40 | More by OverToad
twiggamortis420

4.55/5  rDev +28.9%

A dunkelweizen brewed with fresh Texas peaches and pecans...interesting. Pours a brilliantly clear ruby color with a thin light beige head that fades pretty rapidly. It's a decent looking beer, but nothing too special.

The aroma on this beer is absolutely wonderful. The peaches really shine through and smell fresh and bright. A bit of nutty maltiness is detectable, but not sure I can actually pick out any pecan aroma.

Mmmmm, delicious. Nutty sweet malts come out to play a bit more in the flavor with the peaches still being highly prominent. Pecan flavor is definitely noticeable if you are looking for it. Tangy, sweet, tart and crisp are all good descriptors here.

This is a love it or hate it kind of beer. I am not a huge Shiner fan, but I really dig this beer. They really stepped out of their comfort zone with this one, and I could not be happier they did so. An odd choice for a holiday beer? Yes. But is it delicious? Hell yea, damn near chuggable. I freaking went through over a case of this and hope they release it again next year. Important to note that it does not age well, as it really loses the peachy brightness of the beer.

02-06-2009 13:59:57 | More by twiggamortis420
beeragent

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a deep amber, forming a good 1 inch head, leaving light spots of lace that slide down the glass.

S - Strong peach aroma dominates the nose. Detection of anything else is minimal.

T - Strong taste of peach up front, followed by a hint of wheat malt, and a very noticeable nutty finish in the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D - Great flavor, low alcohol, and smooth drinkability makes this a very holiday sessionable ale. With that said, its almost impossible to view this as a dunkelweizen. I dont see many traits of a dunkelweizen in this beer, and IMO should be considered a fruit beer. Highly drinkable and delicious!!!

11-10-2008 01:45:04 | More by beeragent
frognot

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

04-25-2010 18:35:27 | More by frognot
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in North Aurora, IL for $1.50 in Fall 2010.

A beer that will pair excellent with fruitcake if you like fruitcake. Holiday Cheer pours a dark brown with a fruit scent, peaches are the most obvious. It drinks rather smooth as you get a semi-mild taste of different fruits ending in an ever so slight spice. Out of all the beers I've tried to date, this has to be my favorite. The only way to improve this to a 10 of 10 is by adding a slight more texture and taste to it. Definetly a must try if you can find it.

11-18-2010 05:11:17 | More by Lemke10
KodyBrannon

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

I have bought this beer for the two holiday seasons. It is a very solid beer and another quality seasonal from Shiner. While it falls into line with the Dunkel's I have had, there is just somthing a little extra with it that I would recomend. If your a fan of shiner then you will probably love it, if you don't care for shiner, then you may could go either way. That tends to be the opinions I hear.

03-10-2011 18:33:28 | More by KodyBrannon
brewdlyhooked13

4.38/5  rDev +24.1%

Appearance - a robust pour into the Sam Adams curvy glass yields a nice two finger manila head atop a clear, dark amber beer. Crests and lattices of lace form as the head drops back to a thick cover.

Aroma - peaches for sure, fruity but not excessively sweet.

Taste - a base malty sweetness, built upon by the sweetness of the peaches. I wouldn't really think peaches and pecans would ever go together, but they work well here. The light tannic character of the pecan offsets the fruit sugars enough to prevent this from being quickly brushed off as just another fruit/veg beer. The peaches are at the fore of the taste, the pecans showing up on the swallow towards the back of the tongue. The swallow allows the tannins to join with whatever hops are there for some balancing bitterness, but I'm thinking pecans not hops at this point. The finish is still a remaining trail of peach, a certain dryness and a bit of roast from the nuts. Unusally tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium to a touch light in body. Some smoothness, all playing well to accentuate the flavor IMO.

Drinkability - maybe it's just a fad, but I'm digging this beer and contemplating a few more sixers to share around the family and 'hood. Kudos to HawkinMI for alerting me to these babies over in NKY.

12-12-2008 05:06:35 | More by brewdlyhooked13
grs8313

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

01-24-2009 22:10:36 | More by grs8313
hosehead83

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark copper in color with a big, creamy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! A bit unexpected, but a pleasant surprise of fresh peaches, wheat, and spices
Taste-Fresh peaches, dark malts and wheat, subtle roasted pecans that just balance out the sweetness of the peaches. Nicely balanced, as a little peach essence goes a long way , but this brew seems to get it right. Flavor is not cloying, but rather refreshing and very drinkable. A very interesting and tasty offering-Certainly worth a try!

11-22-2009 17:32:11 | More by hosehead83
B967ierhunter177

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

This beer pours a clear brown with gold and ruby tones under the light. It's aroma begins with molasses followed by hints of fruit and roast. The flavor is complex and well balanced with molasses, nut, fruit, and toast notes with maple in the finish. It has a medium mouthfeel and is quite drinkable. Spoetzl Shiner Holiday Cheer is a very good beer, complex and balanced and is a great match for hard sourdough pretzels. Highly recommended!

05-01-2011 01:08:18 | More by B967ierhunter177
hophunter

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

11-18-2010 21:19:44 | More by hophunter
capt_rob934

4.3/5  rDev +21.8%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

03-22-2012 05:13:17 | More by capt_rob934
hiikeeba

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

11-01-2008 22:53:44 | More by hiikeeba
DCon

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

Bought Beer from Stadium Liquor.

Appearance: Cloudy, Orange

Smell: Cheddar Cheese, Peach, and Nut were all evident

Taste: Strong peach flavor, also could taste the pecan/walnut

Mouthfeel: After sitting on my pallet for a while, hit many different taste buds I didn't think possible. Awesome

Drinkability: Great beer to show your woman or friends who need something different. Definitely a great beer from Shiner, TX!

12-06-2010 21:09:48 | More by DCon
aeminter

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

The color is a nice deep amber with great initial effervescence and three fingers worth of foamy tan head. It's surprisingly clear for the style, but has some ok lacing.

Smells like fresh peaches with hints of bubblegum and vanilla.

Medium mouthfeel and smooth with a malty sweetness in the front and some balancing hop bitterness in the back. There is some bite from the carbonation and a little punch from the alcohol. I can't really decide if the flavor is to style or not, but it is pleasing.

03-02-2009 07:11:10 | More by aeminter
Frosty80

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

11-11-2010 03:12:51 | More by Frosty80
angelmonster

Colorado

4.2/5  rDev +19%

Pours a 1/2 inch off white head.Beer is dark brown with minimal lacing through out.

Very nice smell of sweet peaches and some malts afterwards. Wish I could get this beer as an air freshener.

Tastes of roasted malts, peach and some hops at finish.A bit of metallic taste towards end. Not your typical dunkelweizen.

Mouth feel is light with a smooth finish. Mid to high carbonation and a slight bitter after taste.

Drink ability is great. Overall good seasonal beer, another solid product from shiner, one of my favorite winter seasonal beers even though its not your typical winter beer.

12-09-2008 06:51:31 | More by angelmonster