Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

Monkeypuker, Dec 24, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -57.5%

blbarnett3, Oct 12, 2013
1.6/5  rDev -54.7%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

AMERADJUNCTPROF, May 15, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -50.4%

UltimateLivewire, Dec 20, 2013
1.85/5  rDev -47.6%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

ProfessorK, Dec 09, 2011
1.88/5  rDev -46.7%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

TeeCee, Dec 19, 2008
1.93/5  rDev -45.3%

Pours an amber reddish brown with a fluffy brown dissipate not too long after the pour. There is no evident carbonation or lacing. The smell is very sweet. Lots of peaches and strawberries up front. Artificial candy notes actually take over the whole nose. Taste is artificial as well with candy strawberries being the highlight. Mouthfeel. A bit syrupy and with medium carbonation. not good. Drinkability is minimal. Ill finish the one and move on to good beer. Not very impressed with this one.

depechemode1983, Dec 21, 2010

ChaosKittyXJ9, Jan 13, 2013

DuffDaddy, Jan 03, 2014

jhenson1, Dec 17, 2011
2.04/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

monnik, Nov 12, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -41.9%

A dunkelweizen brewed with peaches, pecans and delicious natural flavor and caramel color. On a day like this, what could be better than some crisp refreshing natural flavor?

The beer is the color of mahogany with ruby red highlights and perfect clarity, which I find a little odd for a dunkelweizen. The head crackles and dissipates like a can of soda poured into a paper cup. Looks exactly like Coke, actually.

Sweet and tart peaches and cream greet the nose first; more like cream soda actually. Toasted pecans and whole wheat toast are present as well. It's on the sweet side, and oddly artificial smelling.

Cola, peaches, strawberries, caramel and pecans are dominant on the tongue, along with a touch of nutmeg and chocolate. It's very sweet and syrupy, though the body is thin and carbonation high. It finishes on a dry note, with some lingering bitterness, Cherry Coke and peach. This is strange, unsettling stuff; it's like a soda/beer hybrid. If you're the type of person that adds shots of vodka to their RC Cola, you may enjoy this, but otherwise it's best avoided.

largadeer, Dec 15, 2009
2.08/5  rDev -41.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (no dating info but new seasonal so it's fresh) into a pint glass. It was mahogany color with some carb and slight lacing. It has a good sized light beige head that took awhile to fade.

The was peach, peach and more peach. Never really got a whiff of the underlying base beer. I like peaches but this was too much. Same for the taste. Very one dimensional and cloying. It also clashed with the base flavor.

Overall, nasty and a drain pour. One and done. Very glad I got a single instead of a sixer. Another sub-par effort from Shiner - a faded Texas icon. Avoid.

TexIndy, Nov 12, 2008