Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
thirdeye11

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours a nice rich reddish brown color. Even when vigorously pouring I cannot get even 1/2 finger head out of this beer. There is minimal lacing.

S: This beer smells distinctly of pecan, peaches, and brown sugar. Smells absolutely delicious!

T: I sure wish it tasted more like it smelled. The smell is deceiving of what is the come from the taste. I expected more peach, pecan, and sweetness, but instead was greeted by too many hops, with mild sweetness in the background that didn't blend well with the hops.

M: Pretty standard for a Shiner beer. Low carbonation, pretty slick and thin on the mouth. Needed to be thicker in my opinion.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these at a time, but my wife and I dispatched of a 12 pack in about 3 weeks.

Overall I loved the smell of this beer, but the taste did not match it. For me that killed the experience a little bit. If they added some sugar to increase sweetness and found a way to make that nutty pecan smell come through in the taste this beer would be downright awesome.

03-11-2009 15:43:22 | More by thirdeye11
MDekker

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

I wasn't going to spend the time reviewing this beer until I read that it was brewed with peaches and pecans. So...

A: Forms a nice head that sticks around. Quite dark in color, but the fact that they mentioned the addition of caramel color makes it feel like their cheating.

S: Sure enough - dominant peachy smell, with butty, bready underlayers.

T: Peachy keen. Somewhat sour, and malty flavors, but they fade pretty quickly, and there's not much finish to it.

M: Almost creamy, but tends toward watery. Somewhat insufficient carbonation. Not terrible, but nothing great.

D: The peach flavor is novel, but I'm not compelled to have more. I'll add the bottle to my Christmas collection, but I'm think I'm pretty much done.

12-18-2008 02:44:07 | More by MDekker
Franz4

Reviewing from notes from 11/11/10

A- dark walnut w/ a little ruby red in it, some bubbly head, left slight lacing.

S- sweet, dark fruit with some peach/apricot that tended to dominate

T- Apricot and caramel really dominated the taste here. It was sweet and maybe even a little tangy. I wasn't thrilled with how the flavors mixed.

M- Very smooth beer, about what I'd expect from a holiday brew

D- The sweetness really was a touch too much for me, it could have had a bit more balance or a little more restraint with the fruitiness

11-12-2010 22:34:41 | More by Franz4
rowew

Colorado

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, similar vintage look that the other Shiner logos have. No date - I thought it was strange that this just showed up on the shelves at some of my local spots .. seems a bit late for a holiday appearance.

Appearance: Reddish brown and clear, nice head.

Smell: Even before getting my nose near the glass there is a big hit of sweet nutty aroma. Getting closer there is a sweet peach flavor - like peach jam.

Taste: I guess this is a dunkelweizen in the sense that there is wheat in it, and its dark - but none of the flavors match that. It should probably be classified as a fruit beer because the peach definitely dominates in my mind.

Overall impression: Its different, but overall not all that interesting. That being said there is nothing overtly bad about it, and I'm sure I'll have no trouble finishing the six pack.

01-27-2009 00:47:47 | More by rowew
NStLincoln

Nebraska

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner.

12-03-2010 18:37:24 | More by NStLincoln

gatorlove

12-01-2013 04:46:25 | More by gatorlove
OttoBomb

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 27, 2010). No freshness date that I can find. This was part of a mixed six pack of Christmas seasonal brews picked up at Armanetti Wine Shoppe and Beverage Mart in Chicago.

I'm into the Christmas beers, and this was a leftover from a couple months ago. The bottle staes this is made with peaches and pecans, it sounds like an odd combo to me, but I'll give it a chance. Let's see how Texans make a snowy Christmas beer shall we?

Eyes: Pours a darkish orange/red with zero haze. One finger head, low retention and lacing.

Nose: Peaches up front, in the middle, and on the end. It actually smells quite natural, but it just doesn't seem to blend well with the yeast here. I don't get much aroma of either the nuts or the Dunkelwizen.

Tongue: Still peachy, especially in the aftertaste, but not as much as the nose. I like peaches, but there's just to much fruit here. The flavor delivers a bit more of the nuttiness, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly good weight, decent carbonation also.

Libation: I can't put my finger on a specific taste I don't like here, but the blending isn't to my liking and I'm not sure it's balanced. A hint of peaches would go great in a beer, but this is too much of a peach wallop. The nuttiness and alcohol try to reign in those peaches, but they fail. It's an interesting beer, but not one I'll naturally turn to at Christmas time.

02-28-2010 08:15:46 | More by OttoBomb