Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
BretSikkink

Mexico

This is an odd duck.

Orange color, with a decently looking tan foam. Not much lacing, although the head retains its shape alright. The nose is quite peachy, to the exclusion of any other ingredients.

Dark wheat and peaches rule the flavor. The natural nuttiness of the brown ale style rolls over in deference to the more powerful flavors of fruit, so the pecans don't add much to me. I find the peach overbearing, and a confusing style choice.

Solid mouthfeel, nice and light, and I found it easy to drink without loving the flavor. Very interesting and unusual, but far from up my alley.

03-22-2010 01:22:44 | More by BretSikkink

MaddDogg84

03-25-2012 17:48:06 | More by MaddDogg84
confer

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours chestnut brown, tan head.
Smell is all peaches, no trace of any weizen. Smells like a can of peaches in syrup.
The peach taste starts things out but the finish and is the dull American wheat beer taste.
This would be much better with the more of the banana taste of a decent dunkel weizen to go along with the peach sweetness.

11-03-2013 20:33:00 | More by confer
Shumista

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

12-24-2009 20:07:10 | More by Shumista
Stinkypuss

Shiner Holiday Cheer
*brewery established 1909

LOOK: Pours a light brown color. Good clarity, with a soapy white head providing some lace.

SMELL: Peach and wheat, caramel and brown sugar.

TASTE: Opens up malty and full of peach, giving way to a nutty flavor from the pecans endorsed on the label. Bright peach flavor tempered by ample hops and dry wheat. Juicy fruit and even citrus notes. Toasted malt but falls a bit short, would love it to be more robust. More pecan would help as well. As is, it's still tasty.

FEEL: Medium bodied, well carbonated, fruity aftertaste.

OVERALL: A decent holiday beer, with a major peach influence. The flavor is genuine and everything more or less works. A bit light and confused, but still quite drinkable.

01-02-2013 19:05:53 | More by Stinkypuss
JohnWaynes44

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

07-08-2009 23:34:30 | More by JohnWaynes44
Amalak

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%

A. It has a redish brown head. Dark but you can see through it. Some bubbles from the middle. A good head and some lacing after.

S. It is extremely fruity. I'd say strong cherry malt.

T/M. It has a very sweet taste. The cherry definitely comes through. There's a bit of raspberry tartness there. Combined it tastes like bubble gum with malts and not bite.

O. Not enough spice for a holiday brew. But not bad at all.

12-31-2013 05:48:04 | More by Amalak
prototypic

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

11-20-2010 02:04:43 | More by prototypic
StoutHunter

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

11-24-2013 04:44:10 | More by StoutHunter