Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros

acashk, Dec 27, 2012

VTWicked, Dec 27, 2012

ScorpyX, Dec 27, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

This poured out as a clear reddish brown color with an off white head on top. The retention is thin and there isn't any lacing. The smell of the beer to me was really impressive. I poured out and was overwhelmed by the peach in it. The smell is sweet like candy and won't appeal to most beer lovers out there. The taste is also sweet, again with peaches I wish the nuts came out a little more. The mouthfeel is very drinkable and easy going. Not bitter at all or cloying. Overall despite it's "artificial" aromas and flavors that it more than likely has... it's still a really good tasting beer in my opinion. I would prefer it if it wasn't artificial at all and all natural but either way I enjoy this beer. I feel it's a bit too clear to be a traditional Dunkelweizen as well. All in all I would drink this beer again though.

Knapp85, Dec 25, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +7.9%

A: Pours a clear dark amber to copper tone with orange hues. Poured mine into a tumbler and the head was a soapy off-white which dissipated to a thin film in about a minute. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like peach iced tea. Not cloying, actually a bit tart on the nose. A second take gives me a bit of spiciness and just a hint of that pecan nutty malt aroma.

T: I was relieved to find that it doesn't taste quite as peachy as the nose would suggest. It's actually pretty nice. It's bready through the middle and nutty toward the end with some peach and apricot on the finish. It's a little like I'm drinking a fruitcake.

M: A bit thin but I don't think they mean it to be a big beer. It has a low ABV as well if my memory serves me right. It's very smooth and clean on the finish.

O: A decent beer. Honestly, I'll probably have it again next year. Not world-class by any means but it does give me a nice, festive, fruitcake vibe.

Sidenote: The beer definitely improves as it warms. The flavor profile gains in nuts and maltiness which does a better job of balancing the peach tartness.

circus_cat, Dec 24, 2012

BJasny, Dec 24, 2012

CWhite, Dec 24, 2012
Photo of
3.25/5  rDev -8.5%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

, Dec 23, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -13.2%

Clear mahogany pour with one finger head that fades quickly with minimal lacing. Nutty, fruity nose with subtle hints of peaches along with brown sugar, and caramel. Taste is dominated by the sweet malt with hints of peaches, toffee, and maple syrup. The mouthfeel is syrupy and sickly sweet. The description of this beer sounded interesting, but Shiner definitely didn't pull it off. Way too sweet for my tastes.

beerdrifter, Dec 23, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -23.1%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Minimal head that quickly disappears. Artificial coloring per the label. Seriously? Dark amber color I guess.

Aroma is complicated. Lots of sweetness, a lot of peach. Flavor is much the same. Not a bad drink, but it doesn't taste like beer. Overwhelmingly peach, but tastes like artificial peach flavoring.

Mouthfeel is probably about right, but overall I feel like Shiner is just doing a bit with this and I can't take it seriously.

Labeorphile, Dec 23, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

sendbeer, Dec 21, 2012

TubbyDullard, Dec 20, 2012

jfoley84, Dec 20, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -36.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

This beer tastes 10x better on tap than bottle. The bottle taste reminds me of sour milk on the after taste. Have you ever tasted your own ear wax? Well after drinking this you might be able to recall that. Now, why I say ear wax??...well I tasted my ear wax numerous times out of curiosity. I wouldn't buy this beer. I'd rather bum off someone else.

goldenboi187, Dec 20, 2012

ExaltedNecrosis, Dec 20, 2012

Boone757, Dec 20, 2012

Fossilhunter, Dec 18, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Dark amber brown. Clear. Big carbonation. Very pretty.

S: Gummy bears/ jolly ranchers upfront. Maraschino cherries. roasted malt.

T: Cherry coke. Very very sweet. Malty. Gummy bears. Strawberry. I do not taste pecan though. Does not taste like beer...

M: Medium body and smooth with a tickle on the tongue.

O: Not my cup of tea. Too much like drinking a candy.

Maltmaiden, Dec 17, 2012

Escsolo, Dec 17, 2012

ironwill54, Dec 17, 2012
2.78/5  rDev -21.7%

Appearance - dark brown/copper color. No head, but growler was opened yesterday evening.

Smell - smells sweet and fruity. Some hops.

Taste - a little too sweet for my liking. Tastes like the aftertaste of a sour juice.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - a bit below average. Probably wouldn't buy this one again...

Bills453, Dec 16, 2012