Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros

wagenvolks, Dec 15, 2011

Falcone, Nov 20, 2013

jheezee, Dec 15, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

JamLand, Jul 02, 2013
3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no freshness date. Well, at least it's obvious what time of year this one hits the shelves.

Pours a beautiful reddish brown color with really good clarity. Cream colored head stood about an inch tall following a medium pour. After several minutes, it's reduced to a thin layer covering the majority of the beer. Some decent lacing.

Peaches come through nicely in the aroma. Maybe just a hint of pecan nuttiness, caramel, and butterscotch.

Slightly fruity up front with the malts and and wheat all working well together. Not getting too much in the way of pecan, but I'm sure that they add some sort of mild flavor here. Very delicate/soft bitterness on the back end.

Medium bodied with the carbonation landing just below moderate. Slight syrupy feel in the finish.

Not bad actually. I could see this as more of a fall or early spring seasonal.

Morey's Bottom Line: I don't think the peaches are overdone here at all. After reading some other reviews, that's what I was expecting. If anything, this dunkel is a bit tame and thin. Still an enjoyable beer though. By far the best I've had from this brewery.

Morey, Dec 11, 2011

egrace84, Jun 24, 2013

markgugs, Apr 20, 2014
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a standard pint glass a dark ruby with a thin diminishing head that leaves slight lacing on the glass. Aroma is very mild caramel and sweet fruit. The taste is an interesting blend of sweet fruits, caramel and mild spice. The beer is quite light but seems a bit undercarbonated. This one was worth trying, but I can't see myself drinking it again.

atsprings, Nov 30, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

StoutHunter, Nov 24, 2013

duff247, Dec 18, 2011
3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear medium amber body sport a dense, creamy, off-white head, with lots of scattered, thin lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Fresh peach notes are very, very prominent, to the exclusion of all else, overwhelming any malt characteristics, or pecans.

Taste: Opens with toasted malts, as the taste progresses, a moderately bitter, lingering herbal hop flavor. Later in the taste, some nut notes appear, presumably the pecans, and a prominent peach skin note. The peaches, with the bitter characteristic of the skins, blend harmoniously with the hops, and bring the taste to a graceful close.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, fairly soft.

Drinkability/notes: I give Shiner high marks for using native Texas ingredients, the peaches and pecans, in an original way. However, the original Shiner Dunkelweizen was an excellent beer, and Holiday Cheer is certainly not its equal. If this beer is to be offered again, more emphasis on the pecans, as with 512 Brewing superb Pecan Porter, would be welcome, with the peaches taking on a lesser role. Its certainly not bad, but could be better.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Apr 26, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +11.3%

Thanks to Deuane for picking me up a few bottles of this while out in State College. This has to be one of the coolest, retro looking bottle of beer that I've ever come across, right down to the cap. Seems like it jumped out of a time machine from the 50's. Cheers to the graphic artist(s) that designed the artwork for this beer. Poured into my nonic pint glass a clear deep brown amber color reminiscent of cream soda with barely a finger of off white foam. Smells of toasted grain and fresh sweet peaches. Tastes of creamy caramel malt, fresh peaches, and a pleasant nutty bitterness. Medium in both body and carbonation. A very tasty and different take on a holiday beer. Well done.

ClockworkOrange, Jan 22, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

This is an odd duck.

Orange color, with a decently looking tan foam. Not much lacing, although the head retains its shape alright. The nose is quite peachy, to the exclusion of any other ingredients.

Dark wheat and peaches rule the flavor. The natural nuttiness of the brown ale style rolls over in deference to the more powerful flavors of fruit, so the pecans don't add much to me. I find the peach overbearing, and a confusing style choice.

Solid mouthfeel, nice and light, and I found it easy to drink without loving the flavor. Very interesting and unusual, but far from up my alley.

BretSikkink, Mar 22, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

A- Pours a clear copper color with a descent size off white head. Head has good retention and leaves some nice layered lacing.

S- Peaches are every where here. I can also pick up pecans even though the bar keep said it was made with almonds.

T- Just like the nose here.

M- Medium in body and nice carbonation.

D- Not to bad not something I'd have all the time.

nrbw23, Jan 02, 2009

bumchilly25, Jan 13, 2013

greenspointexas, Dec 14, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I was rather surprisingly impressed with this one.

Copper brown, it has a small tan head soon thinning to thin ring.

Aroma is bright peach, plus nuts, wood, cheese, fermented bread.

Taste is toasted bread, faintly caramelized, plus light woody-peppery bitterness, hint of nuttiness. Peach is noticeable but barely so, being very faint (unlike in the aroma). Finish has light nutty caramelised toasted bread. Overall, it is fairly dry, balanced. It is good, enjoyable, and solid. It’s a little different, too, and in a way that works well. Feel is light but not watery.

Offa, May 15, 2012

Chugs13, Dec 10, 2011

zonker17, Dec 27, 2013

Shiner Holiday Cheer has a thin, creamy, khaki head and a very clear, copper appearance with a few bubbles streaming up and a little bit of lacing. The aroma is overwhelmingly of peaches, but maybe one can detect some malt and water. As it warms, some sort of husk smell shows up. The taste is of peaches, nuts, barley, water, and a little touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Shiner Holiday Cheer finishes crisp, refreshing, mostly dry, and easy drinking. Overall, this is nice.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Dec 23, 2011

JohnBender, Dec 09, 2012

cfalovo97, Nov 06, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured into a glass stein. Copper with almost a finger of head that did not last long. Clear but not quite transparent.
Smells like a candy shop. Lots of peach and a little lemon scent. Not a normal beer smell, but it smelled nice.
The peach taste is there from beginning to end. Malty at first, leading to a watery and mildly bitter end.
Crisp texture, light to medium body and moderate carbonation.
The body should be thicker and the watery taste spoiled it. The peach smell and flavor was worked in really well, but the rest of the beer could not hold itself up.

Fatehunter, Nov 20, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here.

CuriousMonk, Feb 14, 2011