Follow our progress ...

Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,521
4.64/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

A-Poured a thick, light-tan head with appropriate weizen retention. Pristine copper beer.

S-Overwhelimingly of peaches, sweet and fruity. One-dimensional.

T-The peaches are very prominent. Some malts were under there somewhere... When malts did poke through the peach, they tended toward bready and caramelly. Some nuances of the added pecans also appeared subtley. No bitterness. This brew was sweet and peachy.

M-Moderate-high carbonation. Medium body. The sweetness adds a lot of perceived fullness to the body.

D-Low. This beer is overly fruity, making a beer that's a bit too one-dimensional, focusing on the fruit while seemingly leaving the rest of the beer behind.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

Just saw this at the store today so I grabbed a six pack. Not sure if a six pack was such a good idea, though. This is a strange brew.

Poured into my Sam Adams crazy glass. Beautiful color. Bright amber/brown with ruby reds and sunlight orange hues shining through. Thin head recedes quickly into a light film over the beer. Not much lace, but man it's a pretty beer. The nose is a bit strange. Odd mix of light fruit and malt. Kinda reminds me of the old Nehi Peach soda. Definitely some peach, some faint nutty scents, and malty sweetness, but on the whole it's a bit odd. Not necessarily offensive, just odd. The taste is similar in comparison. Strange peach flavor, nutty bitterness. Mostly malt sweetness, but the strange peach flavor lingers a bit too much in the aftertaste. Bizarre. Again, not bad, but bizarre. A slight hint of smoky pepper in there too gives it a spicy bite. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. Not bad.

What an odd beer, this Holiday Cheer. Not sure I'd call it a dunkelweizen, although it is, according to the brewery, a variation on their dunkel theme from a previous brew. Still, I can't see this one catching on with the mainstream. Interesting, yes, but probably a one-time brew. Glad I tried it, though, if nothing else.

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Clear, dark amber/ruby/brown glowing hues. Mediocre head, 1/4 inch, dirty tan foam. Medium livelyness.

Smell is mostly of peaches, nutty malts, obviously the pecans. Sweet, fruity and some caramel tones.

Cascading fruity/flowery tastes. Juicy peaches and some melon, soft wheat middle and a nutty/caramel wheat malt finish. Surprisingly fruity, but the peach flavor is balanced and natural tasting.

Mouthfeel is light and thin. Carbonation faded quickly, wish it hadn't.

Drinkability was pretty good, considering. Pretty tasty, interesting combination of ingredients. Don't know how much I'd want one one a cold holiday night. This is way more of a summer beer. Unique and one of the few decent brews Spoetzl makes. Nice job.

3.17/5  rDev -10.2%

This holiday beer has a distinct nutty and peachy smell/taste. Although sometimes it comes off smelling like popcorn... don't know if that's just me. Finishes smooth. Nothing special about the color or head features and came off a little flat... but that may have been the tap that it came from. Could use a little more hops, very strong malty flavors with a fruity/nutty aftertaste.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Mostly clear, the color of partially artificial maple syrup. Head is sandy-tan and foamy, with excellent retention. Beer appears at least moderately viscous. Peaches, an almost sweet-roasted nuttiness (although I wouldn't have guessed this was from actual pecans), and suggestions of bread on the nose. Palate denotes peaches, nuts, toffee, wheat bread, and a herbal to earthy bitterness, more along the lines of an English ale than a German wheat. This goes very well with peach and pecan flavors, in my opinion. Medium-bodied, though perhaps light for the style. Softer, sparser, sloshable carbonation. A creamy-smooth drinker.

3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Comes out of the bottle a distinctly clear ruby color with a slim sliver of head and no lacing.

S- Punches of peaches! Lots of sweet peach flavor- very ripe, maybe canned, maybe candied peaches

T- Lots of the same peach as the nose. I can get some of the darker nut flavors if I really try, but the sweetness if pretty overwhelming. Still the taste is more balanced than the aroma, for what it's worth. As it warms up there are some more flavors- the bready malt comes out a bit, but accompanying it is some cheap vodka.

M- The sweetness lingers, but it's a rather light beer besides that.

O- Who likes peaches? If you're looking for a peach soda clone this is probably your best bet.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Pours a brownish red color with very little head at all.

S: The aroma is of sweet malts and some light hops.

T: Taste is not what I hoped but a bit metalic and some malt tatse but hops are covered up by metalic taste.

M: Thin and watery and also not what I expected.

O: Overall a sad letdown as to what I hoped it would be the name sounded festive and like haveing a good time, but sadly that was not the case here.

3.51/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12oz twist off bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Beer pours reddish brown and bold looking with still enough clarity to see the light through with a solid finger of head that quickly dies. Lacing does persist on the sides of the glass and it is a very good looking beer.

Smell- Wow. I really didn't expect to smell the peaches and pecans that thickly in the scent. The peaches are the most peach I've smelled in a beer since Lindemans Peche, and the pecans are nutty and roasty, very thick on the nose, really a surprise that it also smells like beer with hops and malt in there as well. I would call out off flavors, but they all seem to back up nuts and fruit which are in the brew as well. Very interesting and I don't know what to make of this beer.

Taste- Neat! The peach carries over very highly right into the taste as well. I'm not so sure about dunkelweizen although there does seem to be some wheat content. I can catch the pecans as well on the finish, but not upfront. This is the most interesting winter beer I've had this year to be certain. Malts are thick enough to make it a fairly smooth drinking beer. I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it at this point.

Mouthfeel- Mouthfeel is very corn macro swill like, the finish isn't quite where I would want it to be. the body is about medium and I would have to say the carbonation is slightly overcarbonated.

Drinkability- This is a really hard one on drinkability, it's one you have to try just to sample those flavors, but it may not exactly be your cup of tea. After drinking the whole beer, I'm still not exactly sure if I like it or not. There are good and bad aspects to this beer. That said, I'm glad I have a six pack to re-evaluate at my leisure.

2.63/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark reddish brown with a frothy white head that faded fast. The smell reminds me of kool-aid, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, I started to doubt this one once I smelled it. Upon my first sip I was sad that I ordered this one, the fruitiness and sweet hit you all at once. Not much else going on except some wheat toward the end. The beer is smooth, light mouthfeel, mostly thin. Overall I would recommend against this beer, the flavor got to me only a few sips in. I will not get this one again, too many bad flavors going on here.

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my slim, elegant stemmed Rodenbach glass a glowingly clear chestnut color with a big, dense & creamy 2" settled head. Moderate fine carbonation visibly uprising. As I move the glass side to side, the head barely moves - just like a good wheat beer. Nice thin rings of lace all the way down.

Very peachy nose first off. Very sweet indeed. The label reads 'brewed with peaches & pecans', and you definitely can pick out the peaches, while the pecans are in the back - but still detectable. Like I just mentioned, this is a very sweet smelling brew.

Interesting mingling of the peaches and pecans in the taste. Again, the peaches take the forefront, but the nuttiness somehow keeps it from getting cloying, (like I was fearing from the scent). You actually get a bitterness that reminds me of the skin of a walnut - but I guess that;s close enough. I do believe there's a teeny-tiny bit of clove wayyy underneath all of this, and I'll have to agree with my senses seeing this is a dunkleweissen.

Mouthfeel is between medium & light bodied with a gentle and soft texture, (thanks to the wheat malt). The level of carbonation is noticably below the 'normal' hefeweissen, but it still feels nice and fine.

Drinkability is good. A little syrupy, sweet for me to have a session, but two might be fine.

Overall a beer that definitely isn't boring or forgettable. When I think of Christmas, peaches aren't the first noun to come to mind. But now that I've tried it, I'm glad I did. If the peach flavor could be knocked down about 25% and replace that with more pecan, I think we'd have one humdinger of a Texan Christmas offering.

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is listed on the bottle as an ale brewed with peaches and pecans with natural flavors and caramel color. It pours a nice amber color with a half inch of thin, quickly dissipating head. The first thing I noted was a strong peach smell as it poured. There is also a nutty, malty smell. The taste is a little different than the smell. Less peach with a mix of pecan. The malty ale comes through on top of the peach and pecans. I love peaches, but I've never been satisfied with peaches in beer. This is no different, although the more I drank, the more I liked the flavor. As I looked through Shiner beers on this site, this is one of their highest rated offerings. I can see why - nice flavor and very easy to drink. I could see myself making my was through three or four of these on a cold afternoon.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Clear red brown, very dense light tan head. Possible tiny reindeer tracks in the head, but I can't be sure. Smell is VERY fruity. Peaches, oranges, lemons, bananas, cherries. And peaches. I'm serious, this smells like a soothie. Taste follows suit, very sweet, with oranges and vanilla. It tastes like one of those orange cream candies. Interesting. I would have a VERY hard time classing this. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Drinkability is excellent. You could just suck these down all Christmas eve. Until you went glucose intolerant. To sum it up...I have little to no idea what to make of this.

3.12/5  rDev -11.6%

a- bottle poured into a pint, one plus fingers head, walnut coloring, creamy layer of lace and clinging.

s- whoa peaches, smells like peach yogurt actually, i get a bit of nuts, not a ton, and some sweetness.

t- actually pretty interesting here, a kiss of sweet peach then earthiness kicks in with the nuts - a touch tart, very interesting. never had a beer that tasted remotely like this.

m- medium, slick.

d- okay, just cause this was a bit off the beaten path, and not exactly up my alley. it was interesting to try, but not anything that i'd seek out.

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I get a finger of sand colored head. The body is a good looking ruby brown. Head has decent retention. Decent attempt at lacing.

Peaches are named on the label, and they dominate the aroma. Faint graininess is the only other thing coming through.

Malt with bananas and peaches is the first impression I get. It gets a little wheaty after that, but the peaches just keep going.

This is light-medium bodied. It starts going down rather quickly, but the carbonation seems to create some drag when it hits the back of the tongue. Overall it's a pleasant effect, as it helps keep it around longer for the flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass
Appearance: pours a 2"+ sudsy head that falls slowly with some mild lacing. Color is a mostly clear reddish-brown. Some mild carbonation streams are visible.
Aroma: peaches are dominate, but also a bit of wheat grass, caramel and lightly toasted bread. Mouthfeel: light bodied, fairly crisp with a dry finish.
Flavor: interesting combination of wheat, caramel, sweet barley, peaches and roasted pecans. There is a mild hop bite in the finish.
Overall: extremely good as far as flavored/fruit beers go. The first pecan beer I can recall having where I can actually taste the pecan flavor. Well done Shiner!

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%

Shiner Holiday Cheer

This beer pours a beautiful dark brown with a ruby haze, with just a small amount of translusency. Large off white head, with great retention.

Aroma is very unique. Unlike one I've ever smelled before. A blend of insane amounts of ripe peaches, cherries, sweet sundried raisans, sugary vanilla wafferrs, light melted dark chocolate, a touch of sticky honey, and hazlenut creme. Fantastic aroma. Reminds me of peach ice cream in a way. Very fragrant and sweet, yet no where near cloying. A++

Taste is a combonation of rich chocolate malt and a light spiciness. Upfront, the malt grasps a hold of the palate. Sweet chocolate, succulent peaches, and fig. Along with some spiciness of light rosemary, and nutmeg, and light florals near the end to balance. Overall balance is great with none of the flavor notes being overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but it works.
Drinkability is only average, due to it's sweet nature.

A tasty treat from Shiner. Absolutely amazing aroma, and great taste. Not quite as good as Shiner Black, but this one is unique and one of a kind. Nothing like this one, so check it out folks!

3.87/5  rDev +9.6%

Picked up a single to add to my Christmas beers collection. Decided to try it when I definitely needed some holiday cheer after a crappy day at work. Poured from the bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance: The color is great - a beautiful deep coppery brown, kind of like Coke. Light carbonation can be seen rising to the top. Light brown, fluffy 2-finger head fades incredibly fast to a skim on the top. Not much lacing throughout, sadly.

Smell: The peaches are incredibly upfront in this brew. Kind of unique compared to the other holiday beers out there. Really nice note of caramel chewiness and a buttery, nutty scent. The bottle claims pecans, but I don't know if I could discern that from the smell. There is a hint of a metallic smell as the head fades.

Taste/Mouthfeel: The nutty, maltiness is deliciously complemented by the peaches. The sweetness is not overpowering - not saccharine-like, more subtle. There's a maple syrup-like quality to it. There's also a little spiciness, like cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. The carbonation is perfect for me - very much like a soda. The mouthfeel is very light and clear for such flavors thanks to the carbonation.

Drinkability: Very high thanks to the bubbles, and they help remove the stickiness typically left from a beer like this. I really enjoy the taste. Despite the peaches seeming more like a summer fruit, I think this is an excellent accompaniment to holiday celebrations.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

Appearance: Deep mahogany with a stunning amber highlights and a creamy, craggy head that leaves wonderful lacing. This is a very pretty beer.

Aroma: Sweet peach, like that of peach yogurt, masks just about all other aromas. There's some beer down there if you keep sniffing, but you have to pull a lot of peach aside.

Taste: Luckily, this isn't the sugary peach yogurt beer that the aroma warned of. Instead, you find a complex, if a little thin, malty body with decent bitterness in the finish. I'm not sure if it's roasted pecan I'm getting necessarily, but the beer does has a pleasing nuttiness. Peach is certainly here, and in full force, but it compliments the beer instead of smothering it. I would never have thought of a peach infused Dunkelweizen (at least while sober), but it works. While it may taste a little thin in the mouth, the aftertaste is quite nutty and hangs with you for a while.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a slick, oily feel that coats your mouth. A bit fizzier than I prefer, but it doesn't spoil the beer.

Drinkability: Provided you don't hate peaches, this is an easy beer to drink. It goes down smooth and tastes pretty damn good.

Verdict: Between this and Shiner Dunkelweizen, it's no contest: Holiday Cheer just doesn't measure up. But that's not a fair way to rate the beer. Viewed objectively, this is a nice middle-of-the-road Dunkelweizen with an interesting splash of Peach. It fits well into Shiner's portfolio of beers stuck in a bizarre purgatory between macro and micro. I'm still not sure what peach has to do with Christmas, but I'm willing to look past that here.

2.89/5  rDev -18.1%

A: Clear, darker reddish-amber. Decent light tan head that leaves moderate lacing.

S: SWEETNESS. Caramel, sweet tea and some fruitiness.

T&M: Peaches and pecans. That's what the beer is brewed with and they are prominent flavors. Mild carbonation with an odd mild roughness.
Sweetness all the way through. Like a pecan-peach pie.

Definitely different. If you like pecan or mild peach, this might be the beer for you. Not either of my favorites though.

2.65/5  rDev -24.9%

I tried to like this beer, but, having a hard time putting Christmas & peaches together in my head. peaches around here are a mid summer treat.

A: NIce, appealing mahogany/ruby red color, puffy head, and nice retention/lacing.

S: Big whiff of peach. Some maltyness. Almost like sniffing a peach iced tea.

T: Sweet, sweet, sweet. Both from peach juice, and the sweetness of the malts & dark wheat. Peach beer is working for at all..

M: Slick and easy. No bitterness, no metallic aftertaste.

D: Well, what my initial sentence stated. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around peaches, and Christmas. Not working. This, however, would be a great beer to fall back on on a hot July afternoon, something different than my normal Saison/Kolsch/wit habit.

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Pours a 1/2 inch off white head.Beer is dark brown with minimal lacing through out.

Very nice smell of sweet peaches and some malts afterwards. Wish I could get this beer as an air freshener.

Tastes of roasted malts, peach and some hops at finish.A bit of metallic taste towards end. Not your typical dunkelweizen.

Mouth feel is light with a smooth finish. Mid to high carbonation and a slight bitter after taste.

Drink ability is great. Overall good seasonal beer, another solid product from shiner, one of my favorite winter seasonal beers even though its not your typical winter beer.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Pours a dark brown/amber color with a small head that dissipates instantly. Has thin lacing.

Smell - Strong aroma of peaches.

Taste - Very sweet with peaches, a strong clove flavor, toasty and nutty, cinnamon, and a slight bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with pretty high carbonation.

Overall - This is my first time trying this style of beer, I like it. It's a lot different from other styles. I wouldn't be able to drink a lot of this though because it's so sweet..

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tis the season...
A: a brownish roasted chestnut. Little head dissipates to some faint lining with the tiniest trace of lacing. S: the nose is mainly of the tart peach. Some bready malt in there as well. T: much more peach on the palate here. It has a slight soft-drink quality to it. Sounds strange, I know. There is a weak spiciness on the back end. I don't really taste the pecans, unfortunately. F: the carbonation and fizziness is there initially but eventually dies down into a fairly smooth beer. O: a decent Christmas brew, there are better out there but this one is different and worth a try.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner