Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,365 | Reviews: 385

The Shiner Holiday Cheer was a good seasonal beer. I do not remember everything about this beer. It has been so long since I have had it, but from what I do remember it was that too strong, or too light. For a seasonal beer it was actually really good. Also the taste of this beer was not really all that bad actually.

3.46/5  rDev -2.5%

Very clear and dark. The color of maple syrup. A big, thick head like you would expect from a weizen. The head dies pretty quickly though.

The beer has the smell of sweet dark fruits and spices. There is a medicinal sweetness that reminds me of cough syrup and fruit cake.

That same medicinal sweetness is in the flavor, but it's tempered with a nutty flavor and a very doughy and slightly bitter finish. There is a bit of sweet peach and pear. A hint of toasted nuts. The sweetness tastes a bit artificial but the mild hop bitterness levels things out and reminds you you're drinking a beer. It's all brought together in a very smooth, medium bodied brew.

Overall it's not something I would drink all the time, but one season out of the year I think this is a pretty decent beer. Also, it has all the qualities that it professes on the label. You get exactly what you're promised and it's worth including in your winter beer lineup.

3.35/5  rDev -5.6%

For some reason Shiner is everywhere in California, and for cheap, me likey. Sad thing is that I am not so much a fan of this beer. To be true to the BA code, I am supposed to compare this to a dunkelweiss, but I can't because this is a stretch. Comparing this to the other winter beers, this one was a bit much on the "drinking a cake" thing. Yes you get a pecan flavor and peaches, but really, not the best in a beer. poured dark, little head, sweet candy taste. Overall, this was ok, not bad, they did explain the beer on the bottle and it tasted like it said.

3.78/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a clear dark amber to copper tone with orange hues. Poured mine into a tumbler and the head was a soapy off-white which dissipated to a thin film in about a minute. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like peach iced tea. Not cloying, actually a bit tart on the nose. A second take gives me a bit of spiciness and just a hint of that pecan nutty malt aroma.

T: I was relieved to find that it doesn't taste quite as peachy as the nose would suggest. It's actually pretty nice. It's bready through the middle and nutty toward the end with some peach and apricot on the finish. It's a little like I'm drinking a fruitcake.

M: A bit thin but I don't think they mean it to be a big beer. It has a low ABV as well if my memory serves me right. It's very smooth and clean on the finish.

O: A decent beer. Honestly, I'll probably have it again next year. Not world-class by any means but it does give me a nice, festive, fruitcake vibe.

Sidenote: The beer definitely improves as it warms. The flavor profile gains in nuts and maltiness which does a better job of balancing the peach tartness.

3.42/5  rDev -3.7%

Growler fill from Green's Piney Grove, poured into a Shiner Cheer pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly clear auburn/ruby body with just a tad of off-white head that dissipates within moments.

S: Huge peach juice dominates the nose, and not much else gets through.

T: Peach juice and more peach juice. Eventually a slight pecan nuttiness presents itself, followed by a hint of malty bitterness in the finish. Not much dunkel character.

M: Peach soda.

O: This is a peach soda beer. It's one-note, but the flavor is not artificial and it's easy-drinking.

3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Bottle poured out a dark amber color, not very big head. It smells slightly fruity, you can pick up the hint of peach. The taste is less peach and more pecan, but it finishes slightly fruity and a little bitter. I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it. There are definitely better seasonal options out there.

3.81/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - 3.75 - Great dark red/mahogany hue that is actually pretty clear. Thick film of off white bubbles on top.

S - 4.00 - Nice peach juice smell. Smells like candy. I like it.

T - 3.75 - The same peach comes out in the taste. But there's more of a malty character there too. Some bready notes. Actually some hop piney-ness there too that gives it a nice bite. Black licorice. Completely unique holiday beer.

M - 3.75 - light mouthfeel. Alc covered. Aftertaste is bready, peach.

O - 3.75 - Good beer. Unique in it's own way.

2.4/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Too sweet but not a bad drinkin beer overall for a couple

3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

3.05/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Head disappears quickly, lacing doesn't last for very long. Brown mahogany with red tones

S: Peaches, sweet tea.

T: Exactly as it smells. I tastes like canned peaches and tea. Hop aftertaste lingers nicely.

M: Unremarkable except the sugars I get that coat the mouth throughout.

D: Strange...not wintery at all but I could see drinking it on my porch after mowing the lawn. I don't quite understand the idea of labeling a beer "winter" unless it tastes like winter.

3.16/5  rDev -11%

A= Nice, solid mahogany color. It also had a nice foamy head but it disappered rather quickly and left some spotty lacing.

S= The nose had some bready malts in there and some dark fruits. It kind of reminded me of fruit cake.

T= Taste really isn't that strong like I thought it would be it's kind of toned downed compared to the nose. I just thought it would be stronger because I really picked up items in the nose easily. The peaches do come out a little bit but I really picked up on bready notes and some spices.

M= Decent Carbonation, The beer itself is a little on the thin side and is light.

O= Overall, It's not that bad but I would basically buy it for a holiday party where not a lot of people are craft beer drinkers because this beer isn't that intense. I would rather have a Sierra Nevada's Celebration in the fridge for a holiday type beer.

3.52/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into pint...

A: pours mahogany with a fizzy tan head that soon fades to nothing

S: I can immediately pick up a strong peach and nutty pecan aromas. Also, picking up a spiciness of wheat

T: caramel maltiness blends well with peach and pecan flavors. finishes with peach skins, more roasted pecans and a hint of clove, with the familiar shiner yeast, making the finish similar to Shiner Bock. good, but nothing amazing

M: foamy, medium body with a crisp drying finish

Overall, another enjoyable beer from Shiner, but as expected nothing out of this world. The peach and pecan are unique. Would be a good recommendation for a newcomer to craft brew.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Always look forward to this coming out. First time I tried it, I was kind of like no not really, but once I got it on tap it changed my mind. If you get it in a bottle find something to pour it in as it improves as it breaths. The peach and pecan are right there in your face. Best experience with this beer was on a rooftop bar when it was snowing :)

3.23/5  rDev -9%

Reviewing from notes from 11/11/10

A- dark walnut w/ a little ruby red in it, some bubbly head, left slight lacing.

S- sweet, dark fruit with some peach/apricot that tended to dominate

T- Apricot and caramel really dominated the taste here. It was sweet and maybe even a little tangy. I wasn't thrilled with how the flavors mixed.

M- Very smooth beer, about what I'd expect from a holiday brew

D- The sweetness really was a touch too much for me, it could have had a bit more balance or a little more restraint with the fruitiness

4.83/5  rDev +36.1%

Great light peach flavor with mild pale ale bit

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

It pours a clear brown/amber color with a good amount of off-white head that laces the glass.

Right off the bat you can pick up on the peaches, its pretty overpowering in comparison to the rest of the ingredients which are almost indistinguishable. There is a very, very subtle nutty/roasty quality to it.

Flavor wise, again the peaches dominate this brew. Its a medium to full bodied ale that has a nutty/roasty quality to it.

I picked up a 6 pack of these and after finishing 2, had no desire to grab a third, the peach flavor gets pretty old pretty quick and I would not say this beer is very drinkable. The peach flavor is a nice novelty, but when that novelty wears off you are left with a mediocre nutty ale.

4.22/5  rDev +18.9%

Nice color of ruby hued golden ale
I really enjoy the nose on this one,peaches dominate with some trace roasty malt & pecan.
Nice peachy ale flavors with the maltiness in the background & a lingering roasty pecan finish. Not at all overbearing on any of the flavors & I love the peach flavors!
Nice light mouth feel here, nothing over the top or under done. Very approuchable beer on this account.
One of, no deffinitley my favorite of the holiday ales & very good price point to boot.
Drink up for it will be gone soon!

3.98/5  rDev +12.1%

A- Nice ruby amber colored appearance.

S- Can smell peaches and an overall citrus scent with a hint of hops. Kind of smells like a Capri Sun.

T- Definitely a fruit beer, but the peach taste is suprisingly not as strong as I thought it would be. Can taste some spices with a slightly hoppy finish.

M- Has a slight fruit punch feel to it, but it goes down smoothly. Not too hoppy at all.

D- Very drinkable. More drinkable than most fruit beers.

3.41/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap in Austin in a pint glass.

A - lovely red/brown color with little to no head or lacing. Looks very festive!

S - not much nose on it; some notes of dried fruit

T - very interesting fruity overtones, with elements of Peach or Appricot? Light bitterness and little to no alcohol

M - decent mouthfeel wih little to know carbonation. Very light

D - moderately drinkable, but due to the sweetness I wouldn't want to drink a bunch of them

Definitely a fun and interesting beer that is worth a try. Not sure I would drink a ton of them in a sitting, but happy I drank one.

3.64/5  rDev +2.5%

This holiday offering pours a rich, dark ruby-tinged brown color with a bubbly head of light cocoa foam about two-fingers high. Active carbonation bubbles and spotty lacing in the glass. Poor head retention.

The nose is like liquid peaches - very fruity, with hints of pear, honey and very subtle spices. The nose reminds me of the syrup in canned fruit more than anything.

The palate offers a very fruity punch right up front, but isn't as sweet as the nose would have you believe. There is a rather nice balance of peachy sweetness and nutty dryness going on here. I detect ever-so-slight hop bitterness and a subtle roasted malt character that counters the fruitiness of this beer rather well.

This is a medium bodied wheat beer with very ample carbonation - maybe slightly over-attenuated - and a dry, slightly bitter finish.

A very drinkable holiday beer, and a nice change of pace from the heavier "barley-based" beers of winter. I would have liked to have seen a bit more spice in the beer and just a bit less carbonation. Having said that, though, this beer exceeded my expectations quite a bit.

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Reddish brown color with an off white head that sticks around nicely. Fair amount of carbonation visible.

S: Nice peach aroma. Smells like it could be sweet.

T: Initial peach juice flavor gives way to a nice nuttiness. Some dark wheaty notes linger in the aftertaste. Pretty much lives up to what you would expect being brewed with peaches and pecans.

M: Pretty light and drinkable. A little bit drying on the finish.

O: Definitely enjoyable. Delicious without being over the top.

2.26/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Getting rid if the holiday brew.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%

A - blood orange, little foam, mostly translucent

s - peach, raisin, yeast, esters

t - all of the above, but pecan emerges to be strongest of all. Crisp malts remind you you're still in the weizen world, but the other flavors don't really work together. Too bad, as it definitely reminds me of home (tx hill country).

M - thin, not enough carbonation

D - easily sessionable if you dig the flavor combo. Don't think I could do >2 myself.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner