Join our email list →

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Dunkelweizen | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 386 | Hads: 1,508
3.74/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is listed on the bottle as an ale brewed with peaches and pecans with natural flavors and caramel color. It pours a nice amber color with a half inch of thin, quickly dissipating head. The first thing I noted was a strong peach smell as it poured. There is also a nutty, malty smell. The taste is a little different than the smell. Less peach with a mix of pecan. The malty ale comes through on top of the peach and pecans. I love peaches, but I've never been satisfied with peaches in beer. This is no different, although the more I drank, the more I liked the flavor. As I looked through Shiner beers on this site, this is one of their highest rated offerings. I can see why - nice flavor and very easy to drink. I could see myself making my was through three or four of these on a cold afternoon.

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured into a Weizen glass to a redish copper color, and a very good tan head. The smell is very apparent that peaches are used. In fact, along with the taste, peaches are being overused. So much that this really should be catagorized as a fruit beer.

Of the new releases in 2008 from Shiner, I'd have to say this is the best one. But I liked their Dunkelweizen the way it was. I'd also like to have less peach and more pecan flavor in this beer.

This will be the last 6'er I buy of this. There are just far too many better winter/christmas beers out there.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a frosted margarita mug, thats what you get when you get this at a Taco Joint.

Appearance-Body is a deep amber with a tan head. With the cold glass no lacing remained.

Smell-Cranberrries, Peach, and some spices. Wasn't sure what style this was while drinking it.

Taste-Still pick up some cranberries and spice. Lots of breadiness and some sweetness on the backend.

Mouthfeel-Pretty thin body, lots of carbonation, a little too much.

Overall-Interesting take on a Dunkleweizen and one of the better beers by Spoetzl brewery if I had to pick one. Not going out of my way to get this but I'll be drinking more tonight, considering they serve it across the street from me for 1.50 pints during the Alabama/LSU game tonight.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

A- Nice ruby amber colored appearance.

S- Can smell peaches and an overall citrus scent with a hint of hops. Kind of smells like a Capri Sun.

T- Definitely a fruit beer, but the peach taste is suprisingly not as strong as I thought it would be. Can taste some spices with a slightly hoppy finish.

M- Has a slight fruit punch feel to it, but it goes down smoothly. Not too hoppy at all.

D- Very drinkable. More drinkable than most fruit beers.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

I enjoyed this beer. A well balanced nose of peach and pecan which follows through on the palate. It is slightly sweet but not cloying so. Color is a reddish amber, quite nice actually. It's easy to put a few of these down, I would definitely but this again, at the price it's a real bargain.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

This beer pours a clear brown with gold and ruby tones under the light. It's aroma begins with molasses followed by hints of fruit and roast. The flavor is complex and well balanced with molasses, nut, fruit, and toast notes with maple in the finish. It has a medium mouthfeel and is quite drinkable. Spoetzl Shiner Holiday Cheer is a very good beer, complex and balanced and is a great match for hard sourdough pretzels. Highly recommended!

2.18/5  rDev -38.2%

A - Pours a deep amber, very dark but still see-through. Not a very dunkel looking beer. 3 fingers of a heavy wheat head, that recedes to a thick lacing.

S - Peaches, with mild wheat and sweet malt undertones. Extreme overpowering peach notes take away from any real beer ingredients. Not pleasant, smells artificial.

T - Peach blast. And not a very pleasant blast at that. Mild yeast notes as the taste fades out. No real wheat presence. Strange flavor, not all that enjoyable from my end.

M - Might as well be a light lager. I've never tasted a dunkel that was this thin and bubbly. Little thicker than a light lager I guess, but not nearly the wheaty body you'd expect.

O - Disappointing is the name of this beer. If you're REALLY into peachy flavors and thin beer, go for it. But if you're looking for an actual dunkel, steer clear of this one.

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not a bad beer, but kinda freaks me out.

Has a nice dark amber color, with a head that dissipates quickly.
Carbonation is high. Beer smells of peaches! (which is claims on the packaging)
Tastes like peaches and pecans.. freaky but somewhat tasty.
Not sure if I would buy it again or not.

The Shiner Holiday Cheer was a good seasonal beer. I do not remember everything about this beer. It has been so long since I have had it, but from what I do remember it was that too strong, or too light. For a seasonal beer it was actually really good. Also the taste of this beer was not really all that bad actually.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Tis the season...
A: a brownish roasted chestnut. Little head dissipates to some faint lining with the tiniest trace of lacing. S: the nose is mainly of the tart peach. Some bready malt in there as well. T: much more peach on the palate here. It has a slight soft-drink quality to it. Sounds strange, I know. There is a weak spiciness on the back end. I don't really taste the pecans, unfortunately. F: the carbonation and fizziness is there initially but eventually dies down into a fairly smooth beer. O: a decent Christmas brew, there are better out there but this one is different and worth a try.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

Got a six pack of this on clearance, half off.

A: Dark garnet, filtered, some foam witch dissipates quickly.

S: Canned peach syrup, cloves, very subtle pecan shell.

T: Mostly peaches, unsweetened grape flavored Kool Aid, almost veering into pumpkin pie type spices. Really weird, but it fits the holiday theme.

M: Kind of cloying, weird aspirin like aftertaste at the end. This beer is out of season, so its definitely fading quickly.

O: Not a bad beer ... on a cold, winter night with some dessert it would be more appealing.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Mostly clear, the color of partially artificial maple syrup. Head is sandy-tan and foamy, with excellent retention. Beer appears at least moderately viscous. Peaches, an almost sweet-roasted nuttiness (although I wouldn't have guessed this was from actual pecans), and suggestions of bread on the nose. Palate denotes peaches, nuts, toffee, wheat bread, and a herbal to earthy bitterness, more along the lines of an English ale than a German wheat. This goes very well with peach and pecan flavors, in my opinion. Medium-bodied, though perhaps light for the style. Softer, sparser, sloshable carbonation. A creamy-smooth drinker.

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Growler fill from Green's Piney Grove, poured into a Shiner Cheer pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly clear auburn/ruby body with just a tad of off-white head that dissipates within moments.

S: Huge peach juice dominates the nose, and not much else gets through.

T: Peach juice and more peach juice. Eventually a slight pecan nuttiness presents itself, followed by a hint of malty bitterness in the finish. Not much dunkel character.

M: Peach soda.

O: This is a peach soda beer. It's one-note, but the flavor is not artificial and it's easy-drinking.

3.46/5  rDev -2%

Very clear and dark. The color of maple syrup. A big, thick head like you would expect from a weizen. The head dies pretty quickly though.

The beer has the smell of sweet dark fruits and spices. There is a medicinal sweetness that reminds me of cough syrup and fruit cake.

That same medicinal sweetness is in the flavor, but it's tempered with a nutty flavor and a very doughy and slightly bitter finish. There is a bit of sweet peach and pear. A hint of toasted nuts. The sweetness tastes a bit artificial but the mild hop bitterness levels things out and reminds you you're drinking a beer. It's all brought together in a very smooth, medium bodied brew.

Overall it's not something I would drink all the time, but one season out of the year I think this is a pretty decent beer. Also, it has all the qualities that it professes on the label. You get exactly what you're promised and it's worth including in your winter beer lineup.

3.35/5  rDev -5.1%

For some reason Shiner is everywhere in California, and for cheap, me likey. Sad thing is that I am not so much a fan of this beer. To be true to the BA code, I am supposed to compare this to a dunkelweiss, but I can't because this is a stretch. Comparing this to the other winter beers, this one was a bit much on the "drinking a cake" thing. Yes you get a pecan flavor and peaches, but really, not the best in a beer. poured dark, little head, sweet candy taste. Overall, this was ok, not bad, they did explain the beer on the bottle and it tasted like it said.

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a clear dark amber to copper tone with orange hues. Poured mine into a tumbler and the head was a soapy off-white which dissipated to a thin film in about a minute. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like peach iced tea. Not cloying, actually a bit tart on the nose. A second take gives me a bit of spiciness and just a hint of that pecan nutty malt aroma.

T: I was relieved to find that it doesn't taste quite as peachy as the nose would suggest. It's actually pretty nice. It's bready through the middle and nutty toward the end with some peach and apricot on the finish. It's a little like I'm drinking a fruitcake.

M: A bit thin but I don't think they mean it to be a big beer. It has a low ABV as well if my memory serves me right. It's very smooth and clean on the finish.

O: A decent beer. Honestly, I'll probably have it again next year. Not world-class by any means but it does give me a nice, festive, fruitcake vibe.

Sidenote: The beer definitely improves as it warms. The flavor profile gains in nuts and maltiness which does a better job of balancing the peach tartness.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle poured out a dark amber color, not very big head. It smells slightly fruity, you can pick up the hint of peach. The taste is less peach and more pecan, but it finishes slightly fruity and a little bitter. I didn't hate this beer, but I didn't love it. There are definitely better seasonal options out there.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

I had this poured into a pint glass, my first review of a Shiner offering. The color is nice and inviting, a warm copper brown. The taste..well it's super fruity. Like very fruity. I like dunkelweizens in general, but this might have been a bit too much peach. I could have one of these around the holidays each year, but probably not more than that.

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - 3.75 - Great dark red/mahogany hue that is actually pretty clear. Thick film of off white bubbles on top.

S - 4.00 - Nice peach juice smell. Smells like candy. I like it.

T - 3.75 - The same peach comes out in the taste. But there's more of a malty character there too. Some bready notes. Actually some hop piney-ness there too that gives it a nice bite. Black licorice. Completely unique holiday beer.

M - 3.75 - light mouthfeel. Alc covered. Aftertaste is bready, peach.

O - 3.75 - Good beer. Unique in it's own way.

2.4/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

3.79/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A pretty solid holiday beer. It has a nice caramel and nut flavor, but it's not too strong. There's a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste at the end, which keeps it from being one of the better winter beers.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Head disappears quickly, lacing doesn't last for very long. Brown mahogany with red tones

S: Peaches, sweet tea.

T: Exactly as it smells. I tastes like canned peaches and tea. Hop aftertaste lingers nicely.

M: Unremarkable except the sugars I get that coat the mouth throughout.

D: Strange...not wintery at all but I could see drinking it on my porch after mowing the lawn. I don't quite understand the idea of labeling a beer "winter" unless it tastes like winter.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%

A= Nice, solid mahogany color. It also had a nice foamy head but it disappered rather quickly and left some spotty lacing.

S= The nose had some bready malts in there and some dark fruits. It kind of reminded me of fruit cake.

T= Taste really isn't that strong like I thought it would be it's kind of toned downed compared to the nose. I just thought it would be stronger because I really picked up items in the nose easily. The peaches do come out a little bit but I really picked up on bready notes and some spices.

M= Decent Carbonation, The beer itself is a little on the thin side and is light.

O= Overall, It's not that bad but I would basically buy it for a holiday party where not a lot of people are craft beer drinkers because this beer isn't that intense. I would rather have a Sierra Nevada's Celebration in the fridge for a holiday type beer.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner