2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
TownDunkel

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

Time for the holiday cheer! Instead of some spiked eggnog, I figured a holiday beer would be a nice try.

Appearance - Nice, solid mahogany appearance. Not everyday you get such a nice color in a beer.

Smell - Not the best smell ever, doesn't really seem to match the taste in my opion. More of a washy regular Shiner.

Taste - Peachy! If you like Lambrics but hate the price, this one will be a great sub. Aftertaste after a bit seems to be a bit much and overbearing, but sipped over time its a good one.

Mouthfell - Very similar to its parent beer - Shiner bock

Overall - a great specialty beer. I wouldn't have this every night, but definately in the winter.

12-14-2011 00:23:39 | More by TownDunkel
jyeast101

Colorado

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

An orange/ yellow color with a slight white head. The peach comes right to the front with added smells of apricot and cherry. Very refreshing in taste with the peach being a subtle flavor that blends well. An easy drinking beer with a nice balance of flavor. I like this beer. Simple but good.

01-12-2009 04:10:09 | More by jyeast101
cadenwhitaker

2.6/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack.

12-02-2008 01:16:53 | More by cadenwhitaker
rlshep

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Aroma: Nutty, light fruit dark sugar smells. Hard to get much of anything out of this really.

Appearance: Pours huge tan head. Slow to dissipate. Little to no lacing. Deep reddish-orange color. Very clear.

Flavor: Big bite of peach up front. A nice caramel sweetness. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thinish mouthfeel. Enough sweetness to know there is something there. No alcohol.

Overall: Not bad. Drink this if you like peaches and fruity beers. Would like to see a bigger mouthfeel, maybe some extra alcohol and more complexity. A nice change from the spice bombs I've been seeing this winter. I'm giving extra points for originality.

03-22-2011 00:53:33 | More by rlshep
Labeorphile

2.73/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Minimal head that quickly disappears. Artificial coloring per the label. Seriously? Dark amber color I guess.

Aroma is complicated. Lots of sweetness, a lot of peach. Flavor is much the same. Not a bad drink, but it doesn't taste like beer. Overwhelmingly peach, but tastes like artificial peach flavoring.

Mouthfeel is probably about right, but overall I feel like Shiner is just doing a bit with this and I can't take it seriously.

12-23-2012 03:19:45 | More by Labeorphile
marc956

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

Hi, y'all!
I just tried this new Shiner beer last night before the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio .. definately has a holiday taste to it. I normally don't like "fruity" beers but this one has a lot of flavour! I don't find it nearly as good as Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, a bit sweeter, but still, you ought to try it. I'd just had about 4 plates of Tex-Mex food (mostly marinated chicken to make some fajitas with) and this ended the meal on a positive note.

12-30-2008 11:43:58 | More by marc956
thebeerdoctor

4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

A spiced dark wheat wassail, caramel colored, with a fresh peachy note in the nose.
After reading about this a Christmas or two ago, this is my first sampling, and I must admit this is like finding a surprise package under the tree. I have never tasted an ale like this one before. The use of peaches and pecans gives this a unique flavor profile, which is neither dry nor sweet, but has bit of tartness in the finish. Getting over the initial flavor shock, this becomes a very tasty, drinkable beer. A krausend 5.4 % delight.

11-18-2009 21:12:57 | More by thebeerdoctor
mdunman

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

A: Clear, reddish-brown with a thin head

S: Sweet peaches are overwhelming with a maltiness in the background

T: Again the peaches and sweetness are notable up front. Starts sweet again Goes through a good progression as it finishes dry.

M: Medium-heavy that is fairly smooth with light carbonation.

D: Its unique smell and taste make it an enjoyable novelty beer, but not something that I would want to drink on a regular basis.

01-03-2011 06:27:01 | More by mdunman
circus_cat

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Pours a clear dark amber to copper tone with orange hues. Poured mine into a tumbler and the head was a soapy off-white which dissipated to a thin film in about a minute. Minimal lacing.

S: Smells like peach iced tea. Not cloying, actually a bit tart on the nose. A second take gives me a bit of spiciness and just a hint of that pecan nutty malt aroma.

T: I was relieved to find that it doesn't taste quite as peachy as the nose would suggest. It's actually pretty nice. It's bready through the middle and nutty toward the end with some peach and apricot on the finish. It's a little like I'm drinking a fruitcake.

M: A bit thin but I don't think they mean it to be a big beer. It has a low ABV as well if my memory serves me right. It's very smooth and clean on the finish.

O: A decent beer. Honestly, I'll probably have it again next year. Not world-class by any means but it does give me a nice, festive, fruitcake vibe.

Sidenote: The beer definitely improves as it warms. The flavor profile gains in nuts and maltiness which does a better job of balancing the peach tartness.

12-24-2012 21:21:28 | More by circus_cat
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

4.13/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark reddish amber with a thin finger head that fades quickly with a decent amount of lacing. Gives off the aroma of beets or grapes. It's very sweet to the tongue. The taste is very similar to the smell, grapy with a hint of beets and citrus. The flavor doesn't last long however and you're not left with much of an aftertaste. But it's worth a try. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.

11-21-2013 01:35:44 | More by Ryan_Graham
Bills453

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance - dark brown/copper color. No head, but growler was opened yesterday evening.

Smell - smells sweet and fruity. Some hops.

Taste - a little too sweet for my liking. Tastes like the aftertaste of a sour juice.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - a bit below average. Probably wouldn't buy this one again...

Serving type: growler

12-16-2012 21:53:43 | More by Bills453
Richardbeerlover

2.91/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a six pack and poured into a glass. Not much head. Pours a nice reddish orange and the smell is fantastic. Great "natural flavored" peach smell. But when it comes to the taste there is not much peach or pecan taste at all. Tastes like a regular semi dark beer. I'm very disappointed in the taste. Not sure how a peach/pecan inspired beer has anything to do with Christmas. I think this would better be marketed as a summer type beer with the peach thing. Anyways if you like the smell of peaches this thing delivers. If you are looking for a peach and pecan tasting beer forget this one. I'm a big fan of Shiner beer but this is disappointing.

11-10-2013 03:38:35 | More by Richardbeerlover
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

02-15-2010 02:07:52 | More by leakyfaucet12
scottblaze

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Transparent amber, short lived head, the lacing is..so...so. Interesting smell, a little vanilla, a little molases, and something I can't quite put a finger on...maybe it is peaches, yeah peaches...well,..imagine that. The flavour of this little brew caught me off guard, expecting peaches, I was not disappointed but where are the pecans?...oh well. The peach is very nice against a nice malty, slightly bitter backdrop.... it pushes my button. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability very good.

I found this to be a balanced and interesting brew. Tweak it a little, lighten it little and bingo!.. you could have a delightful summer refresher.

11-21-2008 00:55:35 | More by scottblaze
Beerbluesbiology

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

12-02-2010 23:10:12 | More by Beerbluesbiology
grs8313

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

01-24-2009 22:10:36 | More by grs8313
JohnWaynes44

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

07-08-2009 23:34:30 | More by JohnWaynes44
heath1agnew

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

12-04-2008 18:27:54 | More by heath1agnew
NicholasCasber

Iowa

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

12-08-2009 21:07:48 | More by NicholasCasber
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Appearance/ 2 full fingers of tannish foam that dissipates to a thin froth. Dark amber but clear. Nice carbonation.

Smell / Big peaches out in front. Pears. Really fruity.

Taste/ The first and biggest thing you get is peaches but they tell you on the bottle they use Texas peaches in the recipe. There is some hop bitterness at the end but to me the fruitiness kind of overpowers anything else that may be there.

Mouth Feel / Medium bodied and creamy smooth.

Overall / I gave it a 2.75 on this as I am not a big fan of fruit flavored beer not because it is a bad brew. I am sure that the brewer achieved what he was going after. Overall I think it fits into it's style but I would rather have a beer that has more beer flavors than fruits. That is just my preference.

02-06-2014 21:34:31 | More by Bierwolf
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

10-29-2012 04:43:15 | More by phideltashaggy
TeeCee

Louisiana

1.88/5  rDev -46.7%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

12-19-2008 18:22:35 | More by TeeCee
Fergyx825

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

12-07-2013 03:41:22 | More by Fergyx825
carolinahophead

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

This is the latest edition in my kegerator & have been enjoying this one throughout the holidays.
A: An amber color with a snow capped head. It is lighter than a Shiner Bock, almost a bourbon like appearance.
S: Texas peaches and a smooth malt aroma. Not alot hops but is a nice change to all those Big winter warmers around. The pecans do come out when the beer warms. A southern treat .
T: You get the peach and german malt in the taste for sure. Holiday Cheer is sweet, warm and easy to drink. Could be a hit for just the average beer drinkers.
M: Easy to drink, has a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation and a medium finish. The more you drink the more peaches and pecans come out.
D: Definitely a session beer. With food , with friends , with a bowl game or just enjoying the holidat season . The girls will love this one.
O: Thanks Shiner for spreading Holiday Cheer & a Happy New to all . Its not complexed but fun to drink. Thank you too for Mike Brawley for getting this one for me.

01-06-2011 23:43:05 | More by carolinahophead
Maltmaiden

Alabama

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark amber brown. Clear. Big carbonation. Very pretty.

S: Gummy bears/ jolly ranchers upfront. Maraschino cherries. roasted malt.

T: Cherry coke. Very very sweet. Malty. Gummy bears. Strawberry. I do not taste pecan though. Does not taste like beer...

M: Medium body and smooth with a tickle on the tongue.

O: Not my cup of tea. Too much like drinking a candy.

12-17-2012 21:02:57 | More by Maltmaiden