Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 352 | Hads: 1,371
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

I am a sucker for seasonal and holiday release beers so I grabbed this one as a single for $1.60 at one of my beer stores.

A- Dark copper, kind of fizzy looking.
S- Thin smell of mostly peaches.
T- Peaches again, and some other fruity flavors. I don't get much pecan, some wheat malt in there too.
M- Medium bodied, pretty fizzy.
D- I'm glad I only bought one but it was pretty enjoyable.

Interesting take on a holiday beer. I took my first smell and sip expecting the holiday spice cabinet as I had not yet read the label and found the peach flavor to be a nice change from the usual holiday beers.

2.46/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours an amber/ruby color with a one finger head that stays for a while.

Smell is not appealing at all. It smells like that gummy peach ring candy you can buy at any convenience store. Totally artificial and a bit sickly. Taste is a bit of maltiness with a ton of fake peach sweetness and a disgusting bitter metallic finish. Ugh.

Mouthfeel is thin, and I wouldn't drink this again if I had to.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Red-amber with a moderate head.

Smell: The pecans come through in the aroma. Also peaches.

Taste: Peaches dominate. More specifically, canned peaches. I could swear this beer is half canned peach syrup. I don't detect much of the pecans, just a little on the finish, but that's probably because the peach aspect is so strong. This is supposedly a dunkelweizen, but there's very little wheat character.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium-bodied, quite a bit of carbonation.

Drinkability: With such strong fruit character, this is a one at a time kind of beer, or better yet, split a 12 oz. bottle for dessert.

Notes: This is certainly a unique brew. I like peaches, so I enjoyed it. But if you don't care for canned peaches then watch out! I'll at least have a few bottles next holiday season.

3.22/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours from the bottle a deep blend of garnet and brown with a short-lived finger of brown head. Peach dominates the aroma, much like a can of fruit cocktail, but it's not a unpleasant smell. The amount of peachiness in the nose is a good indicator of what's to come in the taste. The peach flavors, however, aren't as pleasant, and I found the taste a little astringent. The pecans the label mentions do come out at last in the finish, however, and are a nice touch. A slightly hoppy finish combined with the peach flavor makes for a below average mouthfeel and drinkability, in my opinion.

An interesting beer and not bad.... I'm glad to have Shiner trying offerings like this, and I think I'd drink a few again next winter.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

It poured a deep clear amber with a white foamy head.

The aroma was pleasant, with peaches at the forefront. I also had a nutty caramel aroma.

The taste didn't really live up to the aroma. It tasted like a regular Shiner but with added flavors built on top. I didn't think the peach aspect was as strong in the taste as it was in the aroma. There was also a nutty flavor lingering about, but unless I was told otherwise, I would not have guessed pecans. It also had a generic holiday spice taste, but for the most part it got lost in the shuffle of the peach and malt flavors

Like almost all Shiner products the mouth feel was very carbonated.

It had a fairly decent drinkability.

Overall, I'm glad I tried it but I don't feel the need to revisit it again until next December. It was good and worth the try, however, there was something too artificial about it. The peach flavor tasted like the peach flavoring in an Arizona Ice Tea, only not as pronounced.

3.72/5  rDev +5.7%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble' glass.

Dark Hefe-copper with a foamy one inch head thats sustains with a nice lace.

Smells of ripe peaches, spicey saaz and roasted nuts.

Taste is a smooth fruity peach and roasted almond blended with a noble saaz and flowery lemon grass.

Smooth and satisfying medium bodied offering. Excellent holiday brew!

Holiday cheer indeed...

3.52/5  rDev 0%

2010 version poured into shaker pint glass. Poured an amber coler with a small head that disapated fairly quickly. Aromas of peaches, light brown sugar, and lightly roasted malt. Taste was pretty good: malt, a touch of peaches, nuts, and brown sugar. Out of the offerings I've had from Shiner, this one comes out on top.

3.57/5  rDev +1.4%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A- very clear dark ruby body with a cream colored head.

N - wow really sweet. But not malt sweetness... it's peachy and pecany. Maybe a bit yeasty.

T - peaches and pecans dominate. The standard dunkel notes are there but rather diluted. Maybe. Some winter spices?

M - slick. There's decent carbonation and it's fine.

O - different and not bad but I doubt I would buy a sixer or a pint. Cheers.

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 27, 2010). No freshness date that I can find. This was part of a mixed six pack of Christmas seasonal brews picked up at Armanetti Wine Shoppe and Beverage Mart in Chicago.

I'm into the Christmas beers, and this was a leftover from a couple months ago. The bottle staes this is made with peaches and pecans, it sounds like an odd combo to me, but I'll give it a chance. Let's see how Texans make a snowy Christmas beer shall we?

Eyes: Pours a darkish orange/red with zero haze. One finger head, low retention and lacing.

Nose: Peaches up front, in the middle, and on the end. It actually smells quite natural, but it just doesn't seem to blend well with the yeast here. I don't get much aroma of either the nuts or the Dunkelwizen.

Tongue: Still peachy, especially in the aftertaste, but not as much as the nose. I like peaches, but there's just to much fruit here. The flavor delivers a bit more of the nuttiness, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly good weight, decent carbonation also.

Libation: I can't put my finger on a specific taste I don't like here, but the blending isn't to my liking and I'm not sure it's balanced. A hint of peaches would go great in a beer, but this is too much of a peach wallop. The nuttiness and alcohol try to reign in those peaches, but they fail. It's an interesting beer, but not one I'll naturally turn to at Christmas time.

3.57/5  rDev +1.4%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is light brown with 1/2 inch of white head that leaves quickly. There is little lacing.

The nose is largely peaches mixed with some citrusy notes and just a hint of the pecans. The taste is also peaches with the citrus, but the nuts come out more. There is also a hint of bready flavour. There is a semi-dry finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but the peaches are kind of strong.

While it seems to be just what Spoetzl was going for, it's not a beer for me. I guess I'm not a big fan of peaches in beer.

3.67/5  rDev +4.3%

pours a clear amber body with a billowy-bubbly lightly brown head. the smell is very interesting. it's very berry like, fruity, fruit punch. with a hint of saaz hops i think, graipfruit / pine smell. Taste is interesting. lots of different fruits going on, peachy for sure. the dominant flavor is the grapefruit / pine hops. it could use a little for malt up front to match the hops. mouth feel is light a carbonated. drinkability is average, maybe not a session beer but you could do a sixpack in one night. this might be my favorite xmass beer because it's not super high alcohol, not super heavy, and not heavily spiced.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%

Sounded interesting with the peaches and pecans, so I had to try one. Pours an amber gold color with minimal white foam that settles fast. Aromas of baked apples and cinnamon with a nutty undertone. Flavor is lightly sweet and refreshing. A nutty malt base with hints of honey and peach fruit. Nice carbonation, pretty much an adult holiday soda.

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

I don't taste much difference between this and their regular flagship brew, and that's pretty okay with me. They're both solid beers and this one fits in line with many holiday beers in that it's safe; it's not going to knock your socks off, but it's not bad at all.

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Medium head rises from a moderate pour into globe glass. Little lacing. Clear garnet in color.

Smell is peaches and caramel malt.

Tastes like peaches and pecans and medium roast malt with a somewhat artificial flavor but not bad.

Light mouthfeel and light moderate carbonation.

Overall a good value with decent flavor for an inexpensive fruit beer from Shiner.

2.81/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured a Clear fizzy amber color with a creamy off white head and good lacing. Smells of artificial peaches, nutty, bready. Taste is about as it smells, Huge peach flavor but not in a good way. It taste way too artificial and sweet. Light to medium oily body. One is definably enough to drink in one sitting. I don't believe I will drink this again to tell you the truth.

3.48/5  rDev -1.1%

From deep in the heart of Texas, from Shiner where winter means you might have to put on your windbreaker from time to time, comes a pretty solid winter warmer style brew.

Looked good in my shaker glass with a nice mahogany color and a thick, fluffy, light brown head. A little carmel and nutty aroma on the nose. Taste is similar, with a carmel malt and nutty flavor, which is nicely balanced by the hops. If anything, this was a little thin and watery, but a very drinkable brew.

Solid holiday beer from a place you wouldn't necessarily expect it from.

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance - Clear dark red with a wispy head.

Smell - Peaches, brown sugar, wheat, and alcohol. I think I can smell a bit of pecan as well, though I doubt I would have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned on the bottle.

Taste - A bit sweet, some definite wheat and peach. There is some nuttiness in the aftertaste. No noticeable yeast, unfortunately. The finish is a little bit crisp.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick body and medium carbonation.

Notes - An interesting take on a dunkelweizen. I'm surprised at some of the low marks it gets in the reviews; I guess innovation is only appreciated in the trendy brewers. Sure there's better dunkelweizens out there, but it's both tasty and unique, and that's good enough for me.

2.97/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a six pack and poured into a glass. Not much head. Pours a nice reddish orange and the smell is fantastic. Great "natural flavored" peach smell. But when it comes to the taste there is not much peach or pecan taste at all. Tastes like a regular semi dark beer. I'm very disappointed in the taste. Not sure how a peach/pecan inspired beer has anything to do with Christmas. I think this would better be marketed as a summer type beer with the peach thing. Anyways if you like the smell of peaches this thing delivers. If you are looking for a peach and pecan tasting beer forget this one. I'm a big fan of Shiner beer but this is disappointing.

2.11/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

Nice amber color in appearance. The mouthfeel very exceptional, if all the wheat beers had this we would be big fans. There is a nice hint of peaches in the nose of this beer. This is very nicely noticed in the taste. The taste is very nicely balanced, giving this beer a great taste. We feel this is a nicely brewed beer. Enjoy

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner