1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
View: Beers (22) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Ratings: 912 | Reviews: 311 | Show All Ratings:
Bills453

2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance - dark brown/copper color. No head, but growler was opened yesterday evening.

Smell - smells sweet and fruity. Some hops.

Taste - a little too sweet for my liking. Tastes like the aftertaste of a sour juice.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - a bit below average. Probably wouldn't buy this one again...

Serving type: growler

12-16-2012 21:53:43 | More by Bills453
Richardbeerlover

2.91/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a six pack and poured into a glass. Not much head. Pours a nice reddish orange and the smell is fantastic. Great "natural flavored" peach smell. But when it comes to the taste there is not much peach or pecan taste at all. Tastes like a regular semi dark beer. I'm very disappointed in the taste. Not sure how a peach/pecan inspired beer has anything to do with Christmas. I think this would better be marketed as a summer type beer with the peach thing. Anyways if you like the smell of peaches this thing delivers. If you are looking for a peach and pecan tasting beer forget this one. I'm a big fan of Shiner beer but this is disappointing.

11-10-2013 03:38:35 | More by Richardbeerlover
leakyfaucet12

Wisconsin

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12 oz bottle Drank on Valentines day

A- Relatively dark red, maroon. Head stays for a good while

S- Smells identical to apple pie. You can smell the beer ingrediants but I smell mainly cinnamon apple. And tons of sweetness.

T- Clean taste, Not tons of the smell is in the taste, maybe a hint of fruit

M- I dont want to say light but medium bodied. Like the difference of coke to sprite.

D- More impressive than I had thought

02-15-2010 02:07:52 | More by leakyfaucet12
scottblaze

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Transparent amber, short lived head, the lacing is..so...so. Interesting smell, a little vanilla, a little molases, and something I can't quite put a finger on...maybe it is peaches, yeah peaches...well,..imagine that. The flavour of this little brew caught me off guard, expecting peaches, I was not disappointed but where are the pecans?...oh well. The peach is very nice against a nice malty, slightly bitter backdrop.... it pushes my button. Mouthfeel is decent and drinkability very good.

I found this to be a balanced and interesting brew. Tweak it a little, lighten it little and bingo!.. you could have a delightful summer refresher.

11-21-2008 00:55:35 | More by scottblaze
Beerbluesbiology

3.5/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a reddish-tan with a hefty head which dwindles to ~1/4inch. First smells strongly of peaches, slightly nutty and then peachy lingering. Tastes similar to smell, except tastes more like a dunkelweizen beer. Does not smell all that much like beer to me. The taste is not too strong, with a slightly wheaty finish precluded by light hoppy bite. Feels a bit to fizzy, I could have gone for a slightly greater viscosity with less fizzy carbonation. Overall, a fun beer to try, but not something worth going out of your way for. Very cool bottle, though!

12-02-2010 23:10:12 | More by Beerbluesbiology
grs8313

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

01-24-2009 22:10:36 | More by grs8313
JohnWaynes44

Wisconsin

3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

07-08-2009 23:34:30 | More by JohnWaynes44
heath1agnew

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

gives me about a one finger head that disappears pretty quickly. has an appealing amber color to it, and carbonation is visible.

smells of peach nectar really...i can't pick up much else. but yes it smells pretty good.

the taste is not nearly as sweet as i would expect. a bit bitter with a sweet finish, but for sure not too sweet.

the mouthfeel is a little to carbonated for me. but other than that i don't mind it.

i would say the drinkability is easily there on this brew.

Oh i just thought i would add that i found out the ABV is 5.4

12-04-2008 18:27:54 | More by heath1agnew
NicholasCasber

Iowa

2.83/5  rDev -19.8%

A: Dark amber, and copper coloring. Slight head, but not overly so.

S: Smells of dried apricots and a slight nuttiness.

T: The rich flavor of the apricots that are brewed in are heavy on the toungue with a smooth finish that makes you want more.

M: The overall mouth feel is supurb. This probably one of my favorite holiday beers as it is full bodied, but somewhat lighter than I expected.

D: I'd rate fairly high if it wasn't so seasonally oriented.

Overall, I'd suggest this beer to any of my friends. Cheers.

12-08-2009 21:07:48 | More by NicholasCasber
Bierwolf

Missouri

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Appearance/ 2 full fingers of tannish foam that dissipates to a thin froth. Dark amber but clear. Nice carbonation.

Smell / Big peaches out in front. Pears. Really fruity.

Taste/ The first and biggest thing you get is peaches but they tell you on the bottle they use Texas peaches in the recipe. There is some hop bitterness at the end but to me the fruitiness kind of overpowers anything else that may be there.

Mouth Feel / Medium bodied and creamy smooth.

Overall / I gave it a 2.75 on this as I am not a big fan of fruit flavored beer not because it is a bad brew. I am sure that the brewer achieved what he was going after. Overall I think it fits into it's style but I would rather have a beer that has more beer flavors than fruits. That is just my preference.

02-06-2014 21:34:31 | More by Bierwolf
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.83/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

10-29-2012 04:43:15 | More by phideltashaggy
TeeCee

Louisiana

1.88/5  rDev -46.7%

Quick review - yuch! I feel bad about such a negative review, but this is probably the worst beer I have ever had. I would rather drink a Heineken and I can't stand Heineken. This is my second one and I'm drinking it a) to get it out of my refrigerator (will not chill the remaining four) and b) so I can report on it here.

I poured it in a 16oz. pint glass. The color was a dark reddish brown with more than an inch of head that almost immediately disappeared. Very good looking beer with a nice color.

The smell is definitely peachy but also almost like something rotten. The peach scent smells authentic. It doesn't smell like potpourri or anything.

The taste is sour-peachy sitting on top of something that almost tastes good. This seems like a good recipe to ruin a dunkelweizen (one of my favorite styles of beer).

The mouthfeel was medium thick with no fizzy feel to it. I did not give this beer time to warm. I just can't take the taste.

I hope if Shiner offers a Holiday Cheer next year, they experiment in another direction. I'll be sure to pick it up if I see it.

12-19-2008 18:22:35 | More by TeeCee
Fergyx825

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A dark brown appearance, with a large amount of head on the pour. It sticks around but does dissipate after a little while. As described via the beer's style.

Smell: a very fruity citrus smell. Smells of mango, very sweet. This smells great, i'm really excited to taste this.

Taste: a very fruity, ale taste. It does have hints of the citrus/mango taste, but it is not as sweet as it smells. Definitely something i've never had before, but i really enjoy this.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, and medium carbonation. Easy to drink.

Overall: Not bad, i would drink this again.

12-07-2013 03:41:22 | More by Fergyx825
carolinahophead

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

This is the latest edition in my kegerator & have been enjoying this one throughout the holidays.
A: An amber color with a snow capped head. It is lighter than a Shiner Bock, almost a bourbon like appearance.
S: Texas peaches and a smooth malt aroma. Not alot hops but is a nice change to all those Big winter warmers around. The pecans do come out when the beer warms. A southern treat .
T: You get the peach and german malt in the taste for sure. Holiday Cheer is sweet, warm and easy to drink. Could be a hit for just the average beer drinkers.
M: Easy to drink, has a medium mouthfeel, good carbonation and a medium finish. The more you drink the more peaches and pecans come out.
D: Definitely a session beer. With food , with friends , with a bowl game or just enjoying the holidat season . The girls will love this one.
O: Thanks Shiner for spreading Holiday Cheer & a Happy New to all . Its not complexed but fun to drink. Thank you too for Mike Brawley for getting this one for me.

01-06-2011 23:43:05 | More by carolinahophead
Maltmaiden

Alabama

3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

A: Dark amber brown. Clear. Big carbonation. Very pretty.

S: Gummy bears/ jolly ranchers upfront. Maraschino cherries. roasted malt.

T: Cherry coke. Very very sweet. Malty. Gummy bears. Strawberry. I do not taste pecan though. Does not taste like beer...

M: Medium body and smooth with a tickle on the tongue.

O: Not my cup of tea. Too much like drinking a candy.

12-17-2012 21:02:57 | More by Maltmaiden
cousineddy

3.46/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel color, with 4 fingers of rich tan head, pours a bit foamy for my taste. Good lacing

Smell: Peach preserves. candied pecans and other nutty aromas. very little hops.

Taste: Tastes faintly of peaches, i get very little of the pecans it says it is brewed with. Slight malt notes towards the end. I wish the flavor of this beer matched the smell.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat flat and thin, leaves some to be desired from a winter beer.

Overall: This is the second beer ive had that has been brewed with pecans, personally it doesn't seem to me to have a strong enough flavor to come through in the beer. I got this brew in a gift basket so i was happy to try it, however i won't be buying this in a 6-pack.

01-09-2013 05:17:55 | More by cousineddy
OverToad

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

11-15-2008 00:20:40 | More by OverToad
crashdavisinoh

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

01-12-2012 18:43:02 | More by crashdavisinoh
Craigory

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Growler fill from Green's Piney Grove, poured into a Shiner Cheer pint glass.

A: Pours a fairly clear auburn/ruby body with just a tad of off-white head that dissipates within moments.

S: Huge peach juice dominates the nose, and not much else gets through.

T: Peach juice and more peach juice. Eventually a slight pecan nuttiness presents itself, followed by a hint of malty bitterness in the finish. Not much dunkel character.

M: Peach soda.

O: This is a peach soda beer. It's one-note, but the flavor is not artificial and it's easy-drinking.

Serving type: growler

01-18-2014 00:37:03 | More by Craigory
Rhettbuck

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

This is perhaps the most unusual winter/holiday beer I've ever had the joy to drink. I am not normally a holiday beer kinda guy, but if they were all this good, I might be more inclined to try them.

Appearance: Darker than I thought it would be, with a good head that rapidly disappears. Not much for lacing.

Smell: The label says that the beer is brewed with peaches and you really can smell it! Very sweet almost sugary trait to the smell.

Taste: Peaches and pecans, thats what the beer is brewed with, and thats the taste you get. When I first tasted it I thought that someone had made a cupcake flavored beer.

Mouthfeel: Not very carbonated which doesn't seem to matter as the sweet taste still has a clean finish. Maybe some carmel after tones, but thats about it.

Drinkability: Considering how sickly sweet this beer can be, you probably couldn't drink it non-stop. But that being said it is still so good that you should check it out.

12-26-2010 23:18:00 | More by Rhettbuck
Bernoulli

South Carolina

2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

Not much head, a splash of lacing. Hazy deep reddish-amber.

Definite scent of fruit. Maybe plums? (Obviously peaches once the server suggests that... but not reminiscent of Son of Peach).

The fruit flavor almost overwhelms the beer beneath it. They don't particularly seem to complement each other. A bit less alcohol than you'd expect in a warmer.

Not horrible, but we wouldn't order it again.

01-10-2014 23:14:13 | More by Bernoulli
frognot

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

04-25-2010 18:35:27 | More by frognot
brandon911

3.38/5  rDev -4.2%

Served into a mug.

The beer was pretty transparent with a fairly dark amber color and with a decently thick white, foamy head that dissipated fairly quickly. It smells great, with a lot of peach and apricot right in front with some slight roast apparent and maybe a lil' lemon. The smell doesn't carry over as well to the taste, though it still tastes very good. The fruity smell is not as apparent in the taste as this is dominated mainly by hops, though the beer tastes a little watery. There's nothing special about the mouthfeel. Fairly carbonated and a little two watery and thin. Overall, a decent and refreshing beer!

I often enjoy Shiner Bock because it's pretty cheap and widely available, though I enjoyed this more and could definitely enjoy this in the future.

11-22-2011 20:17:09 | More by brandon911
lanechaffin

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao.

11-28-2010 00:05:38 | More by lanechaffin
smulkowski

Idaho

3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Chestnut, translucent, billowing head dissipating relatively quickly to a skiff and ring.
S: Canned peaches, faint alcohol and malt.
T: Peach cobbler, sweet attack with a dry mango aftertaste. Well balanced and interesting.
M: A bit thin, slick.
D: Pretty high, might get tired of this after a few.

01-01-2011 02:17:08 | More by smulkowski