Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 352 | Hads: 1,366

Nice amber color in appearance. The mouthfeel very exceptional, if all the wheat beers had this we would be big fans. There is a nice hint of peaches in the nose of this beer. This is very nicely noticed in the taste. The taste is very nicely balanced, giving this beer a great taste. We feel this is a nicely brewed beer. Enjoy (328 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +8%

I was prepared to be disappointed, since their bock, the only other Shiner beer I've had, is a poor example of that style. But I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And, for the price, (a little more than 2 dollars for a 24 oz bottle), it is one of the tastiest beers I've had. After guzzling this one, I'm going back for more. (331 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%

The color is a nice deep amber with great initial effervescence and three fingers worth of foamy tan head. It's surprisingly clear for the style, but has some ok lacing.

Smells like fresh peaches with hints of bubblegum and vanilla.

Medium mouthfeel and smooth with a malty sweetness in the front and some balancing hop bitterness in the back. There is some bite from the carbonation and a little punch from the alcohol. I can't really decide if the flavor is to style or not, but it is pleasing. (499 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a Samuel Adams glass

Pours a nice, rich caramel with some hardcore lacing. Head sits nicely on top of the beer the entire way.

Per the bottle, this beer is brewed with peaches and pecans. The peaches come through heavy on both the nose and the palate. Can't detect much pecan if any.

Tastes of peaches.

Not Shiners best work, but a very easy drinking Christmas beer. (382 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a dark copper that was translucent and very filtered. The ivory white head was robust and consistent, fading to a small sudsy layer. First smells are overwhelmingly peach. It definitely has some carbonation to it. I'm not sensing pecans but after the peach fleets there is a slight maltiness. As the beer is consumed, the head is very uneven and looks quite unusual. Appears to be continents drifting apart as seen from the space shuttle (I know.. crazy). It finishes up with a slight cream mouthfeel. This is the first beer in awhile that I actually really don't care for. The tastes are not robust. The taste is overwhelmed by peach. Not sure how peaches even play into the winter holidays. Unfortunately I have 5 left. (773 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -5.7%

Pours a very reddish brown color. Tan thin head disappears quickly.

Well, the label says brewed with peaches and pecans and you get tons of peach on the nose. And it's a real peach smell too, not the kind in gummy candy. There's also some farm stinkiness and sugar.

The peach flavor is up front and dominates the beers. The back end is where Shiner loses me a tad. The bitterness isn't well balanced and the previously pleasant peach flavor is just too much.

A nice surprise and a totally different kind of Holiday beer from Shiner. (538 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -25%

Pours a clear transparent ruby-red amber color. Off-white foamy head that dissipates after a few minutes to a long lasting thin white cover. Some lacing.

Smells of sweet peaches, candied fruit, and some faint hops citrus. Some hints of malt and spice in the background. I was a bit surprised by the strong peach smell.

Taste is sour apple, hop citrus, and spicy floral notes. The finish is peach and apricot sweetness, with a lingering of dried apricot.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, with carbonation, and a slightly thin finish.

An interesting holiday beer. It was worth trying, but probably not one I will revisit. (620 characters)

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Seen they had only one sixer at the store so I grabbed it as well.

Peaches in a dunkel hmm sounds interesting.

The aroma is very holiday season like with spices and fruits. Kind of like a Fruit cake in a glass.

Mouthfeel was not bad at all. it was a little sharp up front with a twang of fruit and peaches with a little bittering on the back end.

Overall this beer suprised me. I found myself enjoying it. Although I could not drink more than a few due to the big present of peaches. Not a big peach fan but the beer was tasty. (532 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

Time for the holiday cheer! Instead of some spiked eggnog, I figured a holiday beer would be a nice try.

Appearance - Nice, solid mahogany appearance. Not everyday you get such a nice color in a beer.

Smell - Not the best smell ever, doesn't really seem to match the taste in my opion. More of a washy regular Shiner.

Taste - Peachy! If you like Lambrics but hate the price, this one will be a great sub. Aftertaste after a bit seems to be a bit much and overbearing, but sipped over time its a good one.

Mouthfell - Very similar to its parent beer - Shiner bock

Overall - a great specialty beer. I wouldn't have this every night, but definately in the winter. (665 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

12 ounce bottle

Appearance/ 2 full fingers of tannish foam that dissipates to a thin froth. Dark amber but clear. Nice carbonation.

Smell / Big peaches out in front. Pears. Really fruity.

Taste/ The first and biggest thing you get is peaches but they tell you on the bottle they use Texas peaches in the recipe. There is some hop bitterness at the end but to me the fruitiness kind of overpowers anything else that may be there.

Mouth Feel / Medium bodied and creamy smooth.

Overall / I gave it a 2.75 on this as I am not a big fan of fruit flavored beer not because it is a bad brew. I am sure that the brewer achieved what he was going after. Overall I think it fits into it's style but I would rather have a beer that has more beer flavors than fruits. That is just my preference. (792 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours to a amber orange with a thick off white head. Leaves good lacing due to head staying for most of the drinking experiance!

Smells very fruity like peaches, pears, apricots, and maybe some honey. Very Nice!

Taste a peachiness and a hint of the peacans or some other nut.

Medium body with low carbonation and a dry finish!

A very easy drinking beer! Very Nice! (369 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -6.5%

Presentation: Poured from 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: This beer pours a nice rich reddish brown color. Even when vigorously pouring I cannot get even 1/2 finger head out of this beer. There is minimal lacing.

S: This beer smells distinctly of pecan, peaches, and brown sugar. Smells absolutely delicious!

T: I sure wish it tasted more like it smelled. The smell is deceiving of what is the come from the taste. I expected more peach, pecan, and sweetness, but instead was greeted by too many hops, with mild sweetness in the background that didn't blend well with the hops.

M: Pretty standard for a Shiner beer. Low carbonation, pretty slick and thin on the mouth. Needed to be thicker in my opinion.

D: I wouldn't want more than one of these at a time, but my wife and I dispatched of a 12 pack in about 3 weeks.

Overall I loved the smell of this beer, but the taste did not match it. For me that killed the experience a little bit. If they added some sugar to increase sweetness and found a way to make that nutty pecan smell come through in the taste this beer would be downright awesome. (1,111 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +25%

I have bought this beer for the two holiday seasons. It is a very solid beer and another quality seasonal from Shiner. While it falls into line with the Dunkel's I have had, there is just somthing a little extra with it that I would recomend. If your a fan of shiner then you will probably love it, if you don't care for shiner, then you may could go either way. That tends to be the opinions I hear. (400 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again. (939 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +9.9%

When poured into a glass, an inch thick tan head forms over the dark brown with ruby accented body. The head fades slowly to a ring around the edge of the beer. A nice lacing forms in the glass and lasts all the way until the beer is finished.

The smell is an interesting combination of peaches, pears and nuts. There is a nice hop background to it, which really brings out the sweetness to the scent. It's not so sweet that it deters an avid beer drinker from wanting to drink it. The smell sets up the taste. A smooth combination of Malts, peaches and apricots crosses the tongue. A nice nutty finish of pecans rounds off the flavor. The flavor lingers after you've finished drinking.

This is a medium bodied beer that is light on the carbonation. It's smooth and very easy to drink.

Normally I'm not a fan of fruit beers, but this one was really enjoyable, surprisingly so actually. When I first smelled the beer and the sweetness to it, I figured it would be like drinking fruit juice mixed with beer. It was nothing like that. I found this rather enjoyable to drink. (1,077 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Aroma: Nutty, light fruit dark sugar smells. Hard to get much of anything out of this really.

Appearance: Pours huge tan head. Slow to dissipate. Little to no lacing. Deep reddish-orange color. Very clear.

Flavor: Big bite of peach up front. A nice caramel sweetness. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thinish mouthfeel. Enough sweetness to know there is something there. No alcohol.

Overall: Not bad. Drink this if you like peaches and fruity beers. Would like to see a bigger mouthfeel, maybe some extra alcohol and more complexity. A nice change from the spice bombs I've been seeing this winter. I'm giving extra points for originality. (638 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a deep caramel color, with 4 fingers of rich tan head, pours a bit foamy for my taste. Good lacing

Smell: Peach preserves. candied pecans and other nutty aromas. very little hops.

Taste: Tastes faintly of peaches, i get very little of the pecans it says it is brewed with. Slight malt notes towards the end. I wish the flavor of this beer matched the smell.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat flat and thin, leaves some to be desired from a winter beer.

Overall: This is the second beer ive had that has been brewed with pecans, personally it doesn't seem to me to have a strong enough flavor to come through in the beer. I got this brew in a gift basket so i was happy to try it, however i won't be buying this in a 6-pack. (731 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +12.8%

An orange/ yellow color with a slight white head. The peach comes right to the front with added smells of apricot and cherry. Very refreshing in taste with the peach being a subtle flavor that blends well. An easy drinking beer with a nice balance of flavor. I like this beer. Simple but good. (293 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Brewed with peaches? Did they add anything else? I'm not a big fan of overly fruit beers and this one is really, really fruity. Halfway through it and has more in common with a B&J Fuzzy Navel Wine Cooler then a beer.

Despite that... it isn't awful. I managed to finish the entire bottle but I'm glad I didn't buy a six-pack. (326 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark reddish amber with a thin finger head that fades quickly with a decent amount of lacing. Gives off the aroma of beets or grapes. It's very sweet to the tongue. The taste is very similar to the smell, grapy with a hint of beets and citrus. The flavor doesn't last long however and you're not left with much of an aftertaste. But it's worth a try. I would certainly recommend it to a friend. (402 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans! (719 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -19.9%

Appearance - dark brown/copper color. No head, but growler was opened yesterday evening.

Smell - smells sweet and fruity. Some hops.

Taste - a little too sweet for my liking. Tastes like the aftertaste of a sour juice.

Mouthfeel - average

Overall - a bit below average. Probably wouldn't buy this one again... (313 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +14.5%

Hi, y'all!
I just tried this new Shiner beer last night before the Alamo Bowl in San Antonio .. definately has a holiday taste to it. I normally don't like "fruity" beers but this one has a lot of flavour! I don't find it nearly as good as Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, a bit sweeter, but still, you ought to try it. I'd just had about 4 plates of Tex-Mex food (mostly marinated chicken to make some fajitas with) and this ended the meal on a positive note. (460 characters)

A spiced dark wheat wassail, caramel colored, with a fresh peachy note in the nose.
After reading about this a Christmas or two ago, this is my first sampling, and I must admit this is like finding a surprise package under the tree. I have never tasted an ale like this one before. The use of peaches and pecans gives this a unique flavor profile, which is neither dry nor sweet, but has bit of tartness in the finish. Getting over the initial flavor shock, this becomes a very tasty, drinkable beer. A krausend 5.4 % delight. (526 characters)

3.52/5  rDev 0%

A: Clear, reddish-brown with a thin head

S: Sweet peaches are overwhelming with a maltiness in the background

T: Again the peaches and sweetness are notable up front. Starts sweet again Goes through a good progression as it finishes dry.

M: Medium-heavy that is fairly smooth with light carbonation.

D: Its unique smell and taste make it an enjoyable novelty beer, but not something that I would want to drink on a regular basis. (433 characters)

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner