Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Shiner Holiday Cheer | Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Style: Dunkelweizen

Added by Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Reviews: 386 | Ratings: 1,520
3.72/5  rDev +5.4%

A-dark amber w/ small/medium head

S-peaches, cinnamon and malt

T-The taste is the key to any beer...this is where this beer excels. Peaches is the clear dominant flavor...which is appreciated...nuttiness (assuming pecas)...thought I got some cinnamon flavor as well. but IMO takes a backseat to the more dominant flavors.

M-Easy easy easy to drink

O-I was throughly impressed by this beer. I really enjoyed the peach flavor along w/ the other flavor combinations. When I had this on tap...they rimmed the glass w/ brown sugar and cinnamon...fantastic...I copied this at home as well on a couple bottles. One of my favorite, shockingly, holiday releases.

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble' glass.

Dark Hefe-copper with a foamy one inch head thats sustains with a nice lace.

Smells of ripe peaches, spicey saaz and roasted nuts.

Taste is a smooth fruity peach and roasted almond blended with a noble saaz and flowery lemon grass.

Smooth and satisfying medium bodied offering. Excellent holiday brew!

Holiday cheer indeed...

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%

2010 version poured into shaker pint glass. Poured an amber coler with a small head that disapated fairly quickly. Aromas of peaches, light brown sugar, and lightly roasted malt. Taste was pretty good: malt, a touch of peaches, nuts, and brown sugar. Out of the offerings I've had from Shiner, this one comes out on top.

3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Out of a bottle at The Locker Room in Columbus. Best by? Date of 1/23/11 on the bottle.

A: Wasnt served with a glass, go figure. I gave slightly above average, as what I can see is a nice amber color. I don't like that I don't have a proper glass so I can see it. Thus why I distance give it worse or better than I did.

S: Wow, this one is nice. First note is toasted pecans, peach, and caramel. The peach almost takes back seat to the pecans.

T: To me, the pecan is dominant. The caramel melds with the peach to remind of a cobbler. This is not bad.

M: Smooth, if a little thin. Finishes clean.

D: Not too shabby. It's easier to drink than I expected.

Overall, this one is decent. Give it a shot. If I see it again when I am feeling better, I will review it again. Maybe my tastebuds are messed up right now.

3.53/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A- very clear dark ruby body with a cream colored head.

N - wow really sweet. But not malt sweetness... it's peachy and pecany. Maybe a bit yeasty.

T - peaches and pecans dominate. The standard dunkel notes are there but rather diluted. Maybe. Some winter spices?

M - slick. There's decent carbonation and it's fine.

O - different and not bad but I doubt I would buy a sixer or a pint. Cheers.

3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass (February 27, 2010). No freshness date that I can find. This was part of a mixed six pack of Christmas seasonal brews picked up at Armanetti Wine Shoppe and Beverage Mart in Chicago.

I'm into the Christmas beers, and this was a leftover from a couple months ago. The bottle staes this is made with peaches and pecans, it sounds like an odd combo to me, but I'll give it a chance. Let's see how Texans make a snowy Christmas beer shall we?

Eyes: Pours a darkish orange/red with zero haze. One finger head, low retention and lacing.

Nose: Peaches up front, in the middle, and on the end. It actually smells quite natural, but it just doesn't seem to blend well with the yeast here. I don't get much aroma of either the nuts or the Dunkelwizen.

Tongue: Still peachy, especially in the aftertaste, but not as much as the nose. I like peaches, but there's just to much fruit here. The flavor delivers a bit more of the nuttiness, but not much.

Mouth: Fairly good weight, decent carbonation also.

Libation: I can't put my finger on a specific taste I don't like here, but the blending isn't to my liking and I'm not sure it's balanced. A hint of peaches would go great in a beer, but this is too much of a peach wallop. The nuttiness and alcohol try to reign in those peaches, but they fail. It's an interesting beer, but not one I'll naturally turn to at Christmas time.

3.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into a weizen glass from a 12 oz. bottle.

The pour is light brown with 1/2 inch of white head that leaves quickly. There is little lacing.

The nose is largely peaches mixed with some citrusy notes and just a hint of the pecans. The taste is also peaches with the citrus, but the nuts come out more. There is also a hint of bready flavour. There is a semi-dry finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is okay, but the peaches are kind of strong.

While it seems to be just what Spoetzl was going for, it's not a beer for me. I guess I'm not a big fan of peaches in beer.

3.67/5  rDev +4%

pours a clear amber body with a billowy-bubbly lightly brown head. the smell is very interesting. it's very berry like, fruity, fruit punch. with a hint of saaz hops i think, graipfruit / pine smell. Taste is interesting. lots of different fruits going on, peachy for sure. the dominant flavor is the grapefruit / pine hops. it could use a little for malt up front to match the hops. mouth feel is light a carbonated. drinkability is average, maybe not a session beer but you could do a sixpack in one night. this might be my favorite xmass beer because it's not super high alcohol, not super heavy, and not heavily spiced.

3.77/5  rDev +6.8%

Sounded interesting with the peaches and pecans, so I had to try one. Pours an amber gold color with minimal white foam that settles fast. Aromas of baked apples and cinnamon with a nutty undertone. Flavor is lightly sweet and refreshing. A nutty malt base with hints of honey and peach fruit. Nice carbonation, pretty much an adult holiday soda.

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Weizen glass from a 12 oz bottle. L: dark Amber to red. Full finger of head. Fades slowly. Light lacing. S: peach syrup, not real fruity, more floral, lavender. Hints at malty aroma near end. T: it's ok. Not very remarkable. F: a bit thin. Not much mouthfeel. Overall: it's ok.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Rich amber color that looks a little red when in the light, with a bubbly tan head

S- Hints of peach, nut, and clove

T- Much like the scent, hints of peach, which gives way to nut and tart finish

M- Medium bodied mild carbonation

D- Somewhat different than other dunkels I've had, yet pretty tasty. Its a nice seasonal beer.

2.97/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Bought a six pack and poured into a glass. Not much head. Pours a nice reddish orange and the smell is fantastic. Great "natural flavored" peach smell. But when it comes to the taste there is not much peach or pecan taste at all. Tastes like a regular semi dark beer. I'm very disappointed in the taste. Not sure how a peach/pecan inspired beer has anything to do with Christmas. I think this would better be marketed as a summer type beer with the peach thing. Anyways if you like the smell of peaches this thing delivers. If you are looking for a peach and pecan tasting beer forget this one. I'm a big fan of Shiner beer but this is disappointing.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Medium head rises from a moderate pour into globe glass. Little lacing. Clear garnet in color.

Smell is peaches and caramel malt.

Tastes like peaches and pecans and medium roast malt with a somewhat artificial flavor but not bad.

Light mouthfeel and light moderate carbonation.

Overall a good value with decent flavor for an inexpensive fruit beer from Shiner.

3.92/5  rDev +11%

L (4) – There’s a nice deep red/burgundy color to this. I always like beers to look like this, for a nice holiday feel.

S (3.75) – Uh oh. I smell peaches. I know there are peaches in it, but it’s heavy on the peach.

T (4) – Well I can taste the peaches. But very subtle. It’s more on the back end and is actually kinda pleasant. Sometimes these holiday beers can taste like they’ve been steeped in potpourri. But not this one. I don’t get a whole lot of the malt, but it’s a Shiner beer, so I’m not super surprised.

F (3.75) – Thin and crisp. It’s okay, but nothing special in this department.

O (4) – I’d been wanting to try this one, but didn’t want to commit myself to an entire 6 pack. I was actually much more pleased than I thought I’d be. I’m not going to run out and by the six pack, but I’m not mad that I bought this at the restaurant. I would consider drinking it again.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a Clear fizzy amber color with a creamy off white head and good lacing. Smells of artificial peaches, nutty, bready. Taste is about as it smells, Huge peach flavor but not in a good way. It taste way too artificial and sweet. Light to medium oily body. One is definably enough to drink in one sitting. I don't believe I will drink this again to tell you the truth.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

From deep in the heart of Texas, from Shiner where winter means you might have to put on your windbreaker from time to time, comes a pretty solid winter warmer style brew.

Looked good in my shaker glass with a nice mahogany color and a thick, fluffy, light brown head. A little carmel and nutty aroma on the nose. Taste is similar, with a carmel malt and nutty flavor, which is nicely balanced by the hops. If anything, this was a little thin and watery, but a very drinkable brew.

Solid holiday beer from a place you wouldn't necessarily expect it from.

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived!

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%

Appearance - Clear dark red with a wispy head.

Smell - Peaches, brown sugar, wheat, and alcohol. I think I can smell a bit of pecan as well, though I doubt I would have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned on the bottle.

Taste - A bit sweet, some definite wheat and peach. There is some nuttiness in the aftertaste. No noticeable yeast, unfortunately. The finish is a little bit crisp.

Mouthfeel - Medium-thick body and medium carbonation.

Notes - An interesting take on a dunkelweizen. I'm surprised at some of the low marks it gets in the reviews; I guess innovation is only appreciated in the trendy brewers. Sure there's better dunkelweizens out there, but it's both tasty and unique, and that's good enough for me.

2.11/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

Nice amber color in appearance. The mouthfeel very exceptional, if all the wheat beers had this we would be big fans. There is a nice hint of peaches in the nose of this beer. This is very nicely noticed in the taste. The taste is very nicely balanced, giving this beer a great taste. We feel this is a nicely brewed beer. Enjoy

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

I was prepared to be disappointed, since their bock, the only other Shiner beer I've had, is a poor example of that style. But I was pleasantly surprised with this one. And, for the price, (a little more than 2 dollars for a 24 oz bottle), it is one of the tastiest beers I've had. After guzzling this one, I'm going back for more.

4.34/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

pours a beautiful amber color with a frothy off-white head. Smells very fruity, maybe strawberries or cherries. Initial taste is very smooth and crisp with a very light cherry taste finish. Very drinkable and enjoyable. The more I drink this, the more the natural Cherry flavor pops before the finish. Not much lacing to speak of. Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised with this brew and I just hope I can find more when I go back to the store.

4.23/5  rDev +19.8%

The color is a nice deep amber with great initial effervescence and three fingers worth of foamy tan head. It's surprisingly clear for the style, but has some ok lacing.

Smells like fresh peaches with hints of bubblegum and vanilla.

Medium mouthfeel and smooth with a malty sweetness in the front and some balancing hop bitterness in the back. There is some bite from the carbonation and a little punch from the alcohol. I can't really decide if the flavor is to style or not, but it is pleasing.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%

Poured into a Samuel Adams glass

Pours a nice, rich caramel with some hardcore lacing. Head sits nicely on top of the beer the entire way.

Per the bottle, this beer is brewed with peaches and pecans. The peaches come through heavy on both the nose and the palate. Can't detect much pecan if any.

Tastes of peaches.

Not Shiners best work, but a very easy drinking Christmas beer.

2.95/5  rDev -16.4%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a dark copper that was translucent and very filtered. The ivory white head was robust and consistent, fading to a small sudsy layer. First smells are overwhelmingly peach. It definitely has some carbonation to it. I'm not sensing pecans but after the peach fleets there is a slight maltiness. As the beer is consumed, the head is very uneven and looks quite unusual. Appears to be continents drifting apart as seen from the space shuttle (I know.. crazy). It finishes up with a slight cream mouthfeel. This is the first beer in awhile that I actually really don't care for. The tastes are not robust. The taste is overwhelmed by peach. Not sure how peaches even play into the winter holidays. Unfortunately I have 5 left.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner