Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,405
3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours mahogany color with a large beige head. Lots of sticky lace is left behind as the head recedes.
S: Definitely lots of peaches. Sweet malt with a light roasted character. Just a hint of some pecan/nutty aroma.
T: An interesting flavor of peaches, sweet roasted malt, and pecans. More pecans than were in the nose.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. Slick and oily. Smooth and easy to drink. Something that I could session.

This is different and unique. Something I would recommend. Definitely one of Spoetzl's better offerings.

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As a dunkelweizen, I'm not too impressed. After letting the beer warm some out of the fridge, it poured with an average sized light tan head that soon subsided to a few small islands, a ring, and a little lace. Color is a nice, clear, red amber with a couple of bubble trails. Aroma is up front peaches with malt and yeast coming in way below. Flavors about the same as nose and with enough carbonic tang to save it. Body and carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor with all components lasting to the very end of some good length. A peach beer.

3.4/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Woa...a peach/pecan dunkelweizen...what will they think of next....spurred a purchase from me of a Shiner product which I usually stay away from (don't hate them but just so many better products out there to chose from).

A-Chestnut brown colored...minimal head..

S-Peaches...more like the peach syrup in a can of peaches...just a general malty aroma...

T-Pleasantly surprised....the peach flavor is evident and in front but refreshing and not sticky sweet...there is also a nutty malty dimension that to be honest I could not identify as pecan but definitely nutty maltiness....not a bad drinker at all..not getting much of any yeasty weizen notes...drinks more like a dark wheat ale perhaps..

M-Malty but not cloying like I feared....lighter bodied and a bit thin but not mich ultra thinnish or anything like that...just not a lot of heft to to it...was hoping for more of a medium body on this.

O-I'm kind of glad I bought this...something a little different and while not an all-time great it's interesting enough.

3.82/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light brown/mahogany color with a two finger cream-red tinted head. The head has a decent level of retention, fading to give a light level of lacing.

Smell – The aroma is big of a sweet sugary smell of peach and apricot. It almost smells like a peach candy or a peach fruit roll-up. Mixed with the intense sweet and sugary fruit aroma is a little bit of spice as well.

Taste – The taste starts out of the sweet fruit that was detected in the nose. These flavors are mixed with a light wheat and roast flavor upfront. Some spice flavors soon come to the tongue with a sugary/candy flavor accompanies this to produce a spiced fruit candy flavor on the tongue. Toward the end the peach and apricot flavors surge in strength along with a slight increase in the spice and roast flavors to leave a sweet and spiced peach and apricot taste on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the slightly creamier side with a carbonation level that is a little on the lower side. A little more carbonation may have been nice for the sweet flavors of the brew, but with that said, the creaminess was quite good for the spice, lighter roasted flavors, and the overall smoothness of the beer.

Overall – While a little too fruity and sweet for the style, it was actually a very tasty brew. Easy to drink and one to go to from time to time.

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Flavors are toasted malt, dark chocolate, and light cherry--peaches come out as it warms. This one is a nice malty holiday treat. Not traditional for the style, but a good beer.

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

This brew is a deep clear reddish color. An aggressive pour forms a smallish creamy head that dissipates somewhat quickly and leaves light lacing.
The aroma is almost entirely fruit (strawberry, peacher and/or apricot), perhaps some grains, and subtle spices. It's pretty light.
The flavor is likewise pleasant but light and makes for extreme sessionability. This is a lot like a soda, not the overly sweetened kind; more like an Italian soda.
The mouthfeel is pretty thin with a light to moderate carbonation giving it a crisp bite.

2.26/5  rDev -35.8%

Oh God, the peaches. It's not so much that the peach flavor is all that bad, in fact it's one of the more natural-tasting fruit flavors in a fruit beer that I've tried, but it's just extremely peachy, like someone mixed peach preserves and beer. The smell is particularly peachy, literally rather than figuratively. The flavor is like a cross between a strawberry soda, a light possibly decent dunkelweizen and a giant bowl of peaches (and a trace of bile - but I hate a lot of sweet fruit beers). I've never really associated peaches with the holiday season, so it leaves me a bit confused. Maybe, it's a Texas thing. Also, if anyone can taste pecan in this beer, my hat is off to you. It's really not a horrible beer, I guess, but it's not my thing.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a clear dark copper with lots of fizzy light tan head.
S: It smelled like peaches and copper hops, with more peaches and a little nutty malt and bready yeast.
T: It tasted like peaches and copper hops, with some nutty malt and lager yeast. It had a mostly clean bittersweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with moderate carbonation. Fairly light body.
D: This had an unusual scent and taste for a holiday beer, but it was clean and enjoyable. The peach character didn't mix with the copper taste too well, and the pecan wasn't very noticeable, but it was still easy to drink. Not a bad beer, but not great.

Notes from 11/30/2010; best by 2/17/11

Pours a deep reddish brown w/1-2 fingers of light brown head.

Smell is massive peach aroma. It is interesting but a little domineering. Wheat and malt aromas come through as well.

Taste is peach, wheat and malt predominately, though some faint notes of pecan do come through. Interesting flavor combination, actually tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel is light and clean.

Overall, the peach is a bit much after awhile, but I though this was an unexpectedly interesting, easy drinking holiday brew.

3.12/5  rDev -11.4%

A: Pours a reddish brown with a white head that quickly fades.

S: This doesnt even smell like beer. It has a strong peach smell with some other fruity characteristics.

T: There is a lot of peach tastes in this beer. I had no idea this beer was suppose to be so peachy. I dont know what they are thinking. Peach is more a spring/ summer taste to me...

M: The beer is pretty average on the mouth feel. It has a strong amount of carbonation and just seems sort of boring.

O: Though I dont care for Spoetzl's beers, I ususally tend to enjoy their seasonal beers, but this one really let me down. I dont get the whole peach in winter thing. Just doesnt make sense to me.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue XI:

Dunkelweizen meets fruitcake. Here is Spoetzl Brewery's take on making a holiday beer out of a Bavarian-Style Dark Wheat Beer. Brewed with peaches, pecans, natural flavor and caramel color. Hey, at least they admit they use flavoring and color. Worried? Perhaps, but we'll let our taste buds be the judge.

Yup, it's a wheat beer with its towering head, good retention and all. Peach aroma dominates the nose, yet there are hints of pecans and some toasted maltiness. Ample smoothness with a slick, medium body. Fresh wheat malt and toasted grain are a good base that hold this beer together. Peach flavor has a mild twang within the subtle sweetness. Nutty, with a light pecan note in the middle. Mild hop presence does not get in the way, though it does help to balance. Finishes dry with a toasted bread crust and lingering pecan flavor.

Interesting, a flavored holiday ale where we would possibly want more than one. Nice to see something different rather than the usual pie spicing that ends up tasting like organic toothpaste. A good pick for the holiday party, as it will definitely spark some interest if not conversation. This is without a doubt a beer that non-beer drinkers could approach and hopefully get pulled into.

3.24/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a glass stein. Copper with almost a finger of head that did not last long. Clear but not quite transparent.
Smells like a candy shop. Lots of peach and a little lemon scent. Not a normal beer smell, but it smelled nice.
The peach taste is there from beginning to end. Malty at first, leading to a watery and mildly bitter end.
Crisp texture, light to medium body and moderate carbonation.
The body should be thicker and the watery taste spoiled it. The peach smell and flavor was worked in really well, but the rest of the beer could not hold itself up.

3.31/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Spoetzl Brewery's Shiner Holiday Cheer a couple weeks ago for $1.39 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer and since I missed out on it last year I thought I should give this years release a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice retro Christmas look to it. It poured a fairly clear redish dark amber color that took on a ruby hue when held to the light with a finger and half of light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer and I liked the color of it.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by big fruity aroma with some cranberry and other fruity aroma coming through with peaches seeming to show up the most. Up next comes a nice creamy aroma that mixes with the fruity aspect to make for an aroma that reminds me of those fruit and cream candies. It kind of reminds me of Short's peaches and cream. The aroma is decent, but it isn't very beer like and I don't pick up any Dunkelweizen like aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by lots of peach flavors with some other fruity flavors in the background. Up next comes that same creamy aspect that I got in the aroma and it makes for that same cream and fruit candy like aspect. Up next comes some light malty and grainy flavors with a somewhat lighter amount of bitterness with a creamy and peach like aftertaste. The taste isn't bad, but just like the aroma it's not very Dunkelweizen.

M- Smooth. crisp, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I didn't think it was a good example of a Dunkelweizen since none of the aspects that I look for in the style came through, if they were there they were pretty much covered up by the creamy peach flavors and with how much the peach flavors stick out I think this would be better classified as a Fruit Beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth and not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think one is enough for me, I don't really have the urge to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, I thought they were both nice and worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the how dominating the creamy peach flavors were, they weren't bad, but I thought they were too overpowering. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it but I wouldn't seek it out and I don't think I would really recommend it unless you really like Peach flavored beers. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Shiner is usually pretty solid, but this beer seemed a little too unbalanced and artificial for my taste. Better luck next time guys, this one could use a little bit of work.

2.75/5  rDev -21.9%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark chestnut color which is disappointingly devoid of haziness for the style. The head is a one finger off-white shade. It isn't particularly creamy, nor does it have great retention. It leaves behind a thin ring of lacing on the glass.

S: Peach notes are at the forefront. I'm having trouble picking up any nuanced malt qualities, though, and that's unfortunate. Maybe a touch of caramel and some wheat. At first, I thought I picked up a cheesy scent, but that's gone away almost entirely in the glass. The fruitiness IS pretty nice anyways.

T: Okay, I lied - the malt here is like a punch in the face. It hits the palate immediately with caramel-laden sweetness, clashing with the (nice) peach notes instead of coexisting peacefully. At least the peachy finish is pleasant - too bad I don't pick up much pecan flavor. There's too much in the way of clashing flavors for me to enjoy this.

M: Light, but too sweet on the palate to really inspire drinkability. Carbonation does its damnedest to help it go down, though.

O: It's a shame about its lack of balance, because I enjoy the fruity flavors of this. Wasn't a fan of this one, frankly. On the plus side, I can see this appealing to other drinkers.

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

12oz bottle acquired in trade with lb4lb - Thanks!

Poured a medium reddish-brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of peaches and some roasted nuttiness. The nuts were in the background at first, but came out more as I drank. Tastes of peaches, nuts, and caramel. Medium sweet. Lots of Peaches.

3.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can part of a six pack from Winco mega grocer in Salem. $7.29 I have no idea how this got here..but lets try it out! Pours a very attractive darker amber with garnet hints. And a lovely smooth creamy tan head. Can get peaches right enough in the aroma. They tend to dominate. Only later do the nuts and caramel arrive. Taste is rather thinner than expected..but its nice enough..again getting lot of peach, some spicy peppery stuff and a bit of nuttiness. Fine. KInda thin mouth feel but its got nice tight carbonation..that helps. Nice fruity beer

3.28/5  rDev -6.8%

Holiday Cheer pours a darker, burgundy color. It's clear, and looks deep red with light behind it. I like the color. I was expecting a little haze, being a Dunkelweizen and all. Eh. The head is vanilla colored and only rises to a finger or so in depth before falling quickly. Lacing was definitely on the light side. Not bad.

The nose is rather average. It's fruity up front and features a nice peach scent. It's a little grainy and earthy. Where are the spices? No clove? Nothing? Hmmm. It does feature a light malty scent. Smells a little caramel-esque to me. Yeast is a little noticeable. It needs work. There's just not much going on...besides peach fruitiness.

The flavor may be a notch better. I haven't quite made up my mind. It does have a rather strong peach presence throughout. It's not altogether bad. There might be some light spices, but it's tough to tell. The peach flavor might mask a few things. A bit of a grainy flavor is noted throughout. I'm not appreciating a nutty presence at all. Maybe it's just me. It's a little malty and sweet. Alcohol isn't noticeable. Finishes peachy and sweet. It tastes alright. Better than it smells.

The body is light. Carbonation seems mid-range. There's not enough here to feel smooth, but it isn't a train wreck. Drinkability is rather average. I don't mind a bottle, but the flavor grows a little tiresome. There's just not quite enough flavor there to entertain for multiple bottles. For what it's worth, it goes down easy enough.

Spoetzl Brewery could really improve Holiday Cheer with just a little effort. It'd improve easily with a little less peach, and a little more spice and body. It's just okay. Probably worth a try if you're compelled. But, stick with a single or bottle or two. A six pack seems like a stretch.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

I got this brew in a trade with JJFoodie, Thanks Justin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

Clear amber color with a small beige head that thinned to a ring.
The aroma is just like canned peaches.
The taste is just peachy, seriously it's pretty much all peaches with just a bit of a nutty taste towards the finish.
Medium bodied with a smooth feel.
It's drinkable provided you like the taste of peaches.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no freshness date. Well, at least it's obvious what time of year this one hits the shelves.

Pours a beautiful reddish brown color with really good clarity. Cream colored head stood about an inch tall following a medium pour. After several minutes, it's reduced to a thin layer covering the majority of the beer. Some decent lacing.

Peaches come through nicely in the aroma. Maybe just a hint of pecan nuttiness, caramel, and butterscotch.

Slightly fruity up front with the malts and and wheat all working well together. Not getting too much in the way of pecan, but I'm sure that they add some sort of mild flavor here. Very delicate/soft bitterness on the back end.

Medium bodied with the carbonation landing just below moderate. Slight syrupy feel in the finish.

Not bad actually. I could see this as more of a fall or early spring seasonal.

Morey's Bottom Line: I don't think the peaches are overdone here at all. After reading some other reviews, that's what I was expecting. If anything, this dunkel is a bit tame and thin. Still an enjoyable beer though. By far the best I've had from this brewery.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pours a clear mahogany body with a creamy beige head that lasts the duration. Some attractive patchy lace clings to the glass. Nice looker.

Aroma is peeaches and toasted pecans. Peach essence seems to be a blend of canned and fresh.

Body and carbonation are medium and the mouthfeel has the creaminess of a dunkelweizen.

Taste is like the aroma, toasted pecans and peaches. A hint of wheat malt twang is the only suggestion of a dunkelweizen. Vague hop bitterness balances.

No real dunkelweizen character here but the peaches and pecans create a unique taste profile. An interesting take on a holiday brew.

3.04/5  rDev -13.6%

An easy pour of this filtered brew into the Sammy Adams freebie glass reveals a clear oak brown hue, capped with a thick and rich ran head. Brussels lace remain in the glass all the way down.

Sweet peach, molasses, honey and spice in the aroma - this holiday brew really has a nice nose to it. Body is a bit thin, but the peaches and roasted nuts come into play with the quaff. On the sweet side, esp. for a winter holiday brew - this could use more spice and hops, but all in all, not too bad of a drinking brew. Might be tough to work through a sixer in a sitting though.

3.59/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into SN IPA glass.
Attractive pour with big full tan head and brilliantly clear dark amber body. Fresh whiff of soft peaches with a minimal artificial effect. Very soft malt backgound.
Wow what an easy drinker. Goes does quickly and smoothly. Decent complexity for a small ale. The peach is more background with a greater yeast character showing and a rather strong laying on the tongue of what seems some hops. Not picking up much of the pecans, but takes on more of a classic english ale flavors as it warms and opens up. However, it also seems to sweeten up the peach and make it seem more artificial.
Oh well. A good enough ale with a soft and smooth feel.

4.02/5  rDev +14.2%

A-Bright copper with a light tan head that hung on well, reduced a bit and left decent lace.

S-Fairly robust peach aroma, not fake at all. The aroma is very natural with a bit of dryness in the background from the pecans

T-Tasty, slightly tart peaches with a pleasant spicy hop kick and a nice astringent finish courtesy of the pecans.This one is very bright and fresh on the palate.

M-Medium-light body with a nice tart crispness from the peaches. MAybe just a tad on the thin side and starts to feel a bit sticky after a while. Decent lingering flavours.

D-Wow! A different take on a holiday brew with peaches and pecans...a nice southern twist from Shiner. This one is a winner IMHO. I really like the fresh, real peach taste combined with the tannic dryness from the pecans. A well balanced and flavourful brew. Wish I had more of this one! Although they call this a dunkleweizen? I find no dunkle or weizen in here at all...regardless I enjoyed it!

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance - a robust pour into the Sam Adams curvy glass yields a nice two finger manila head atop a clear, dark amber beer. Crests and lattices of lace form as the head drops back to a thick cover.

Aroma - peaches for sure, fruity but not excessively sweet.

Taste - a base malty sweetness, built upon by the sweetness of the peaches. I wouldn't really think peaches and pecans would ever go together, but they work well here. The light tannic character of the pecan offsets the fruit sugars enough to prevent this from being quickly brushed off as just another fruit/veg beer. The peaches are at the fore of the taste, the pecans showing up on the swallow towards the back of the tongue. The swallow allows the tannins to join with whatever hops are there for some balancing bitterness, but I'm thinking pecans not hops at this point. The finish is still a remaining trail of peach, a certain dryness and a bit of roast from the nuts. Unusally tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium to a touch light in body. Some smoothness, all playing well to accentuate the flavor IMO.

Drinkability - maybe it's just a fad, but I'm digging this beer and contemplating a few more sixers to share around the family and 'hood. Kudos to HawkinMI for alerting me to these babies over in NKY.

Shiner Holiday Cheer has a thin, creamy, khaki head and a very clear, copper appearance with a few bubbles streaming up and a little bit of lacing. The aroma is overwhelmingly of peaches, but maybe one can detect some malt and water. As it warms, some sort of husk smell shows up. The taste is of peaches, nuts, barley, water, and a little touch of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Shiner Holiday Cheer finishes crisp, refreshing, mostly dry, and easy drinking. Overall, this is nice.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner