Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros

PatrickKlopfenstein, Dec 19, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

UnderPressure, Nov 29, 2011

ohyayitstrey, Dec 16, 2013

rph97, May 10, 2013

jonaspb, Sep 06, 2013
3.6/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

kristenrae8, Dec 10, 2011

Averwo, Dec 08, 2013

gregcordle, Tuesday at 01:51 PM
3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Head disappears quickly, lacing doesn't last for very long. Brown mahogany with red tones

S: Peaches, sweet tea.

T: Exactly as it smells. I tastes like canned peaches and tea. Hop aftertaste lingers nicely.

M: Unremarkable except the sugars I get that coat the mouth throughout.

D: Strange...not wintery at all but I could see drinking it on my porch after mowing the lawn. I don't quite understand the idea of labeling a beer "winter" unless it tastes like winter.

ForWhatAlesYou, Dec 21, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -11%

A= Nice, solid mahogany color. It also had a nice foamy head but it disappered rather quickly and left some spotty lacing.

S= The nose had some bready malts in there and some dark fruits. It kind of reminded me of fruit cake.

T= Taste really isn't that strong like I thought it would be it's kind of toned downed compared to the nose. I just thought it would be stronger because I really picked up items in the nose easily. The peaches do come out a little bit but I really picked up on bready notes and some spices.

M= Decent Carbonation, The beer itself is a little on the thin side and is light.

O= Overall, It's not that bad but I would basically buy it for a holiday party where not a lot of people are craft beer drinkers because this beer isn't that intense. I would rather have a Sierra Nevada's Celebration in the fridge for a holiday type beer.

LiquidBread219, Dec 30, 2011

hoppy91, Jul 21, 2014
3.53/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured into pint...

A: pours mahogany with a fizzy tan head that soon fades to nothing

S: I can immediately pick up a strong peach and nutty pecan aromas. Also, picking up a spiciness of wheat

T: caramel maltiness blends well with peach and pecan flavors. finishes with peach skins, more roasted pecans and a hint of clove, with the familiar shiner yeast, making the finish similar to Shiner Bock. good, but nothing amazing

M: foamy, medium body with a crisp drying finish

Overall, another enjoyable beer from Shiner, but as expected nothing out of this world. The peach and pecan are unique. Would be a good recommendation for a newcomer to craft brew.

OlRasputin989, Dec 06, 2010