Join our email list →

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner
Texas, United States | website

Dunkelweizen | 5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 385 | Hads: 1,507
3.09/5  rDev -12.5%

Good look and color. Has slight apple cider finish. Perhaps a little malt. Cant extract the peach from the taste like others note. I would say dunkel-ish

3.86/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Peach is really the big takeaway on this one, both on the nose & in the flavor profile. It is fairly artifical tasting but not necessarily in an off-putting way. Mild caramel malt carries the rest of the load. A little watery and thin, like some adjuncts, but overall a decent beer.

3.43/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Taste like homeade hooch brewed in a stove crockpot. It's not bad. Not sure i would consider it a Dunkel. It's drinkable but after having Warsteiner Dunkel this doesn't compare. Tastes like peach with very little body.

3.22/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Weizen glass from a 12 oz bottle. L: dark Amber to red. Full finger of head. Fades slowly. Light lacing. S: peach syrup, not real fruity, more floral, lavender. Hints at malty aroma near end. T: it's ok. Not very remarkable. F: a bit thin. Not much mouthfeel. Overall: it's ok.

4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured at 45°F from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass.
LOOK: Pours with two fingers of khaki foam that dissipates into a half fingers worth after 3 minutes. Copper in color. There is a large amount of both small and medium-sized rising bubbles. Lacing is both thick and very in various areas and high in quantity.
SMELL: Very strong aromas of peaches almost mask the subtle wheat, pecan, and toasted malt aromas.
TASTE: The initial taste is of strong peach flavors that combine with subtle caramel flavors (didn't smell those). Mild toasted malt, wheat, and subtle pecan flavors immediately follow as peach flavors grow stronger. Subtle bitter and spicy hops enter lastly to balance out the sweetness from the peaches as toasted malt flavors grow to strong and pecan flavors grow to mild.
FEEL: Somewhere between medium-bodied and light-bodied. Subtly carbonated. Goes down incredibly smooth. Finishes with a phenomenal crispness.
NOTE: This is listed as a Dunkelweizen, but shares no qualities of that style except for it being dark and wheaty. This is an American Dark Wheat Ale, despite what the brewery put on the label. This was a very sweet beer. I loved it. The peaches dominated, but not enough to where it would be considered cloying. The malt and hop flavors brought on just enough balance to allow the peaches to do their thing. The best part of this brew was it's mouthfeel. This finishes so crisp, I wish I could drink it on a hot summer day in Texas.

4.31/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very first impression of the taste was that it tasted like berries, but then the peach flavor became more prevalent. The color was deep bronze and the smell was similar to the taste. Low bitterness, medium thickness. Pretty good.

3.79/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A pretty solid holiday beer. It has a nice caramel and nut flavor, but it's not too strong. There's a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste at the end, which keeps it from being one of the better winter beers.

3.74/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is listed on the bottle as an ale brewed with peaches and pecans with natural flavors and caramel color. It pours a nice amber color with a half inch of thin, quickly dissipating head. The first thing I noted was a strong peach smell as it poured. There is also a nutty, malty smell. The taste is a little different than the smell. Less peach with a mix of pecan. The malty ale comes through on top of the peach and pecans. I love peaches, but I've never been satisfied with peaches in beer. This is no different, although the more I drank, the more I liked the flavor. As I looked through Shiner beers on this site, this is one of their highest rated offerings. I can see why - nice flavor and very easy to drink. I could see myself making my was through three or four of these on a cold afternoon.

4.11/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This was a nice surprise...much better than I expected. The beer is a light chestnut color with a white head and a fizzy carbonation. The aroma is a mix of fruit, malt, and wheat...with a little yeast scent underneath. The taste, though, is really nice...peaches, lots of peaches, with sweet malt and a little wheat twang. Crisp due to the effervescence, which is essential to keep it from being too sweet. Medium in body and very enjoyable. Nice!

4.05/5  rDev +14.7%

I always end up grabbing a 6-pack or two of this every year during Nov-Dec. Bought from HEB in College Station and poured into a pint glass. First review, new to BA, so here we go!

Look: Nice dark brown color with reddish tinge. Mostly clear. Small head with little lacing.
Smell: Peaches dominate. Sweet, and a good indicator of what's to come
Taste: Peaches, sweetness, and a comfortable hop touch that is very satisfying for this style.
Feel: Great frothy wheatbeer mouthfeel.

Overall: Well-flavored dunkelweizen with a hop touch that keeps things very interesting. Spoetzl's best offering, by far, in my opinion. Well worth multiple tries during the weeks leading up to Christmas.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Deep red/amber color. If you put it up to a source of light you can really see more tints of red than amber. I would almost go as far as saying it has a red grape color to the beer. The head is an off white color, and not very thick after a few moments. The head retention seems to last quite some time.
S: Smells very fruity, heavy notes of peach and cherry with lesser aromas of pecans.
T: Peach and pecan, not so much cherry. A malty presence, especially towards the finish, alongside of some spices. Dry after taste.
M: Closer to a medium body than light. Not overly carbonated, but definitely not on the light side.
O: Overall a pleasant beer, worth drinking again, although I don't think I would go out of my way to purchase it.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap. Pours an orangish copper color with a one finger head that rapidly dissipates and leaves no lacing. Aroma of candied pecans, peaches, and roasted malt. Taste follows the nose with roasted malts and pecans before the peach sneaks in to provide a barely sweet finish. The biggest issue with this beer is the feel. Light bodied and medium-light carbonation. It makes it easier to drink but allows you to forget that it's supposed to be a dunked. It could pass for a malt forward amber.
I like this a lot during the holidays and pick up a 6 pack every November. There isn't much difference between bottle and tap though. It's not a great beer, but it gets bonus points for me because it really fits into the holidays.

3.21/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a rusty brown body with ruby highlights and very small head and lacing. Some peaches for sure mixed with nuttiness and some spices; not too bad.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

L: Nice amber pour with a hint of red. Great lace, great thick cream colored head. Appetizing, and a good hint and what you are about to drink.

S: Scent wasn't much. Pretty dominant scent of peach, really masked anything else that could be deciphered. Maybe a hint of malt? But more like sour peaches and alcohol. Not much of a nose to this.

T: The taste blew me away. This was not what I was expecting when I read "Peaches and Pecans" for some reason. Why? Because it ACTUALLY had both of those flavors, quite dominantly, and well blended. The sweet maltiness and peach flavor hits you right up front in a sharp, sour, and sweet bite. Then it mellows into a very delightful pecan, malt, and bread flavor. The finish is like biting into a piece of warm pecan pie. A surprisingly well crafted, uniquely flavored holiday beer. Bit of a meddling aftertaste though, but overall pretty damn solid.

F: Dry up front, bit chewy and warm on the backend.

O: For the price, I'm really really impressed. It's a worthwhile holiday taste to anyone trying to get in the spirit of things. It is definitely flavored differently enough with the peaches to separate itself from the pack in terms of a unique twist on a holiday beer. Easy drink, dare I say sessionable by a warm fire on a chilly winter evening. Pair this bad boy with some pecan or pumpkin pie and enjoy a night by the fire.

4.58/5  rDev +29.7%

This is a great beer for its price range. For only about $1 a beer, it's absolute joy. You can't really buy a beer this good for that kind of price, so I take that into account when I'm doing this review.

As others have mentioned, it's got a good, dark amber color. Probably not a true dunkelweizen, because it's obviously filtered. That's probably my only complaint with it. Others have said it is very peach-forward, but I disagree, and admire the depth of the pecan flavor. I actually could not smell or taste the peach until the VERY thick, creamy head had dissolved, which can take quite a while, and even after it's mostly gone, there will be little islands of froth on top. After that, though, it certainly has a very fruity scent, but I don't get a really distinct peach flavor. My boyfriend found it more apricot with some prunes. To me, it's just "fruity". The lacing is GORGEOUS on this beer, and adheres to the glass for a long time. It's definitely sweet on the aftertaste, but not in a bad way, and the 22 IBU as listed on the label is spot-on correct. But overall the thing that impresses me most is the mellow, pecan-y taste. I grew up in the South and remember eating pecans by the handful, because they're practically free down there. (Not like up north, where they're an asinine $8 a pound.) You might have to be from the deep South- Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia- to pick up the subtle characteristics of pecan that are so well incorporated. I think a lack of recognition of these subtle flavors might be why so many who enjoy this beer are saying it's more peach forward. They just can't suss out pecans from the malt/ wheat/ hops, which it blends very well with. And that's okay, we all have different experiences and palettes.

If you enjoy Abita Pecan, this is even more pecan flavored than that, and I think, much tastier overall.

3.09/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a red/amber with a light quickly disappearing head with remains thin and lace like. District smell of peaches and a very slight nuttiness. Once I sipped the beer, I got a good amount of candied pecan taste. Very sweet. Feel is thin and has a medium to light level of carbonation

3.52/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-pours a deep reddish amber with an off white head with average retention
S-pecan, raspberry, cherry
T-pecan and raspberry flavors and fairly malty
M-medium bodied
O-much more fruity than I would have expected. Not a bad brew but tastes a lot like fruit cake

Maybe I'm crazy but I am a fan of this beer. Peaches, pecans are the prominent flavors. I love peaches so this beer has an advantage with me. One of my all time favorites.

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Shiner Holiday Cheer.

I believe this is only the second or third beer I have ever had out of Shiner. Not that I wouldn't try more, I just don't see very many around here. Once again, the fall beer season has long passed and now it is time to bust out the winter brews. Got a single bottle for $1.79 at my local Meijer. Enough blah, time to drink.

Look - From the twelve ounce bottle into a random dimpled pint glass. This beer pours a cranberry grapeish looking color with a deep tinge of amber around the outskirts. The head stands just over a finger in height and quickly dies down to a thick cap amongst the top of the brew which stuck around for quite some time. The carbonation appears to be pretty high which is alright since I had zero idea what to expect since I haven't had many beers of the Dunkelweizen style.

Smell - The smell comes in three different aspects. First and foremost, you get a tons worth of fresh cranberry juice without it being the actual fruit. Second you get a cherry bread like maltyness that melds with the first flavor, and third you get a good dosage of dried dark cherry and dried dark fruits in general that joins the fray.

Taste - It virtually follows the nose to a tee, only with the cranberry demanding the forefront kinda like when yo momma had you with a swiggity swag gangsta then demanded a shitload of child support despite the fact he lived at his parents house. The dark fruits in dried nature also make a show, and with some dark bread notes

Feel - Quick note...the bottle says peaches and pecans...where the hell are those? I'm not getting either. Anyway,.. the body is about moderate and retains all the afoentioned flavors with enough carbonation to pop the top on a champagne bottle.

Overall -Well I didn't taste the flavors mentioned on the bottle but this was a pretty solid beer no matter how you slice it. Hell I think the craft newbies and veterans alike would enjoy this beer. As
. always give it a shot and come to your on conclusion..

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I always look forward to this beer! I enjoy the suble peach and other flavored. Slightly sweet and malty. Had it first this year on draft into a pint glass. Fruity smell, comforting taste and feel. Looking forward to drinking this over the next couple months.

4.18/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a translucent dark amber color with an off-white head. Mild peach aroma. Nice yet subdued peach flavor with a hint of caramelized sugar. Pecan flavor is more subtle. Light-bodied with a clean mouthfeel. Sweet, but extremely well balanced. Overall very pleasant and very drinkable. One of the few fruity beers I really like.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

L: Pours a crystal clear, ruby red color with a creamy off white head. I got a finger and a half of head (in a pint glass with a medium-aggressive pour). It stuck around for about 10 minutes.

S: Lots of forward dark, wet peaches. Very sweet, with caramel malts, with very low hop presence. Perhaps earthy? Almost smells like fruit juice, with just a hint of malt.

T: Very peach forward. I was very excited for the pecan flavor, but that didn't come through as much as I would've liked. A good dose of those caramel malts, with a very light hop presence. It's creamy initially, followed by a dry-esque peach finish that's almost reminiscent of a peach mead. I took away some points here, as the amount of peach seemed to overwhelm the beer flavors. It wasn't unpleasant, but I felt like I was drinking fruit juice.

F: Very smooth, but somewhat low carbonation. The sweetness also left a lingering sticky or syrupy feeling, which lasted about five minutes.

O: Certainly an interesting take on holiday dunkelweizen, but the peach was just too overwhelming for my tastes.

4.15/5  rDev +17.6%

Great fruity nutty taste. Body is light and refreshing. It might be a bit too sweet for some. Body could be a slight deeper. This definitely a fall wheat. This will get me through the holiday season. This is another great Shiner spin. There is nothing really tasting quite like this. Great job.

3.29/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I enjoy this as a good holiday beer. It tastes like Christmas. Seems it came out pretty early this year but hey, seems the holiday season starts earlier and earlier each year. Why not enjoy it with a good beer.

1.57/5  rDev -55.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

There was something very off-putting in the nose and flavor of this brew, akin to sugar that's been cooked down too far past the point of caramel and into acridity, combined with what I can only describe as slightly rotten Vidalia onions. Considering the ratings and the fact that I got one bottle of this in a create-your-own six pack at a grocery chain not known for its beer selection (beers kept warm, by the way, in lieu of refrigerated), I may have been bitten by the skunk bug. But considering I don't have a high opinion of any Shiner products so far, I'm willing to forego any benefit of the doubt.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner