Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,410
3.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: rich amber-brown hue with a clear body and two fingers of pillowy tan foam. Retention is OK and lace is present but minimal.

Smell: very sweet aroma of brown sugar, peach and nuts. Very wintry. The smell is enticing, like a holiday candle of some sort, but it's not my favorite combination of aromas for a beer.

Taste: sweet but mild flavor, not as cloying as the aroma. Malty nuttiness starts off with the peach growing toward the finish, and finishing off quite bright. Not bad.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a healthy dose of creamy carbonation. It works well for me.

Overall: this is a decent winter beer, if one you've got to be in the mood for. I wouldn't want to drink too many of these, but having one amid some winter warmers would not be amiss.

2.72/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled: unk

A: Hazelnut brown with a finger of off-white foam which falls quickly to a torn sheet of the same. Excellent clarity. No lace.
S: Smells of plastic and some astringent malts. Not like.
T: Tastes sweet and like it has pecans. Some brown sugar tones. Taste far exceeds nose here.
M: Creamy. Thin. Absentee finish.
O: Well, it's okay. I would suggest to a novice to craft.

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Served chilled in a traditional pint glass.

Poured a dark copper that was translucent and very filtered. The ivory white head was robust and consistent, fading to a small sudsy layer. First smells are overwhelmingly peach. It definitely has some carbonation to it. I'm not sensing pecans but after the peach fleets there is a slight maltiness. As the beer is consumed, the head is very uneven and looks quite unusual. Appears to be continents drifting apart as seen from the space shuttle (I know.. crazy). It finishes up with a slight cream mouthfeel. This is the first beer in awhile that I actually really don't care for. The tastes are not robust. The taste is overwhelmed by peach. Not sure how peaches even play into the winter holidays. Unfortunately I have 5 left.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Dark ruby red brown and clear with a thick frothy off white head that settles out to a thin layer of fizz below a smattering of gentle lacing

S - Nutty, a touch fruity and thick malty presence

T - Similar to the nose in that the pecan taste leads the way with a heady pear following before the big malt fun happens. The malt flavor is characterized by primarily a molasses flavor.

M - Highly carbonated with decent body. Aftertaste is a little bitter but plenty sweet.

O - Fun holiday beer that really captures the style while taking a little holiday zig, or zag.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

OK. I grew up in Oklahoma. I know pecan's. I meditated before drinking this brew to channel the pekarma. Can't find it. I've had 4 of these now on 3 separate occasions, all I taste is fizzy peach. Having said that, this is a fun, tasty sud. I will have several in my seasonal section for later. Kinda want to try this one when it's 85 and dry outside, swinging back and forth on my hammock.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Had on tap at the Yardhouse in Houston

A - Dark amber in color with a tan head that receded very quickly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S - Getting a sweet peach sniff along with a very slight hint of malts.

T - Predominantly peaches with some malts and some pine on the finish. Finishes rather dry which I like. Feel like I get a little bit of slate.

M - Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry in the mouth.

O - This is not a bad beer, some would probably like to see more spiciness or malts, I like the finish being somewhat dry, the peaches aren't overpowering.

3.7/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a frosted margarita mug, thats what you get when you get this at a Taco Joint.

Appearance-Body is a deep amber with a tan head. With the cold glass no lacing remained.

Smell-Cranberrries, Peach, and some spices. Wasn't sure what style this was while drinking it.

Taste-Still pick up some cranberries and spice. Lots of breadiness and some sweetness on the backend.

Mouthfeel-Pretty thin body, lots of carbonation, a little too much.

Overall-Interesting take on a Dunkleweizen and one of the better beers by Spoetzl brewery if I had to pick one. Not going out of my way to get this but I'll be drinking more tonight, considering they serve it across the street from me for 1.50 pints during the Alabama/LSU game tonight.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Amber to light brown and perfectly clear, great head that lasted a bit and left nice lace.

Smell is very peachy, pungently fruity with a little bit of malt and yeast but no hops.

Taste isn't as good as the smell, it's a bit overly peachy, almost like syrup was added rather than fresh peaches. Tons of caramel malt finish it out.

Body is nice, full but easily drinkable and pretty satisfying.

Interesting but not something I'd drink more than a sixer of during the holidays. Still, it's not bad.

Nice amber color in appearance. The mouthfeel very exceptional, if all the wheat beers had this we would be big fans. There is a nice hint of peaches in the nose of this beer. This is very nicely noticed in the taste. The taste is very nicely balanced, giving this beer a great taste. We feel this is a nicely brewed beer. Enjoy

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As a dunkelweizen, I'm not too impressed. After letting the beer warm some out of the fridge, it poured with an average sized light tan head that soon subsided to a few small islands, a ring, and a little lace. Color is a nice, clear, red amber with a couple of bubble trails. Aroma is up front peaches with malt and yeast coming in way below. Flavors about the same as nose and with enough carbonic tang to save it. Body and carbonation are decent. Finish is like flavor with all components lasting to the very end of some good length. A peach beer.

2.63/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark reddish brown with a frothy white head that faded fast. The smell reminds me of kool-aid, lots of fruitiness and sweetness, I started to doubt this one once I smelled it. Upon my first sip I was sad that I ordered this one, the fruitiness and sweet hit you all at once. Not much else going on except some wheat toward the end. The beer is smooth, light mouthfeel, mostly thin. Overall I would recommend against this beer, the flavor got to me only a few sips in. I will not get this one again, too many bad flavors going on here.

3.46/5  rDev -1.7%

Wow a holiday beer in mid October...it gets earlier every year it seems like.Poured into a weizen glass a deep reddish infused russet color with a thinner pillow-like head atop.Peach and toasted wheat in the nose,not bad but the peach seemed artificial,maybe its not,just seemed so.Alot of peach flavor and there is some of the roasted pecan flavor in there,its smooth and surprisingly rich.A bit of toasted wheat malt to go with the fruity and nuttiy flavors.Not a bad beer,I bought it for my wife and I came out liking it more than her.Again Shiner gives me a pleasant surprise.

3.03/5  rDev -13.9%

Smells of peaches and very light grains, and is almost tea-like in this aspect; there is little on the nose to remind that this is a beer.

Thankfully, the power of the peach scent is toned down in its translation to the tongue, for although peach flavors are the first to wash over the tastebuds, they quickly give way and melt into nutty grain flavors, with a subtle undercurrent of pecan oils. Caramel flavors can also be pulled from the palate, as well as a light smattering of hops that gives a decent bitterness and helps counter the sugary peaches. The toasted grain/pecan flavors are what lingered the longest on my tongue, providing a nice aftertaste. I did find the brew to be slightly over-carbonated, and such fizziness actually proved distracting when trying to analyze the flavors.

Overall, this is a decently-balanced beer, the peach and pecan flavors mingling nicely with the malts and hops (and not over-poweringly so, which was a real concern when I'd only smelled the brew).

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Notes from 11/30/2010; best by 2/17/11

Pours a deep reddish brown w/1-2 fingers of light brown head.

Smell is massive peach aroma. It is interesting but a little domineering. Wheat and malt aromas come through as well.

Taste is peach, wheat and malt predominately, though some faint notes of pecan do come through. Interesting flavor combination, actually tastes pretty good.

Mouthfeel is light and clean.

Overall, the peach is a bit much after awhile, but I though this was an unexpectedly interesting, easy drinking holiday brew.

1.66/5  rDev -52.8%

I don't want to write too much, since I have wasted enough time with this beer.

It is an average beer with what tastes like a bad Jolly Rancher dropped in it. I'm not sure if you like fruity beer, but even if you do, this is just not good. I rarely leave a beer in my fridge, they eventually get drunk, but this didn't.

I only kept one because I wanted a friend of mine to taste how bad it was. He didn't mind it that much. I guess there is no accounting for taste.

4.33/5  rDev +23%

This beer pours a clear brown with gold and ruby tones under the light. It's aroma begins with molasses followed by hints of fruit and roast. The flavor is complex and well balanced with molasses, nut, fruit, and toast notes with maple in the finish. It has a medium mouthfeel and is quite drinkable. Spoetzl Shiner Holiday Cheer is a very good beer, complex and balanced and is a great match for hard sourdough pretzels. Highly recommended!

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

Aroma: Nutty, light fruit dark sugar smells. Hard to get much of anything out of this really.

Appearance: Pours huge tan head. Slow to dissipate. Little to no lacing. Deep reddish-orange color. Very clear.

Flavor: Big bite of peach up front. A nice caramel sweetness. Low bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Thinish mouthfeel. Enough sweetness to know there is something there. No alcohol.

Overall: Not bad. Drink this if you like peaches and fruity beers. Would like to see a bigger mouthfeel, maybe some extra alcohol and more complexity. A nice change from the spice bombs I've been seeing this winter. I'm giving extra points for originality.

4.4/5  rDev +25%

I have bought this beer for the two holiday seasons. It is a very solid beer and another quality seasonal from Shiner. While it falls into line with the Dunkel's I have had, there is just somthing a little extra with it that I would recomend. If your a fan of shiner then you will probably love it, if you don't care for shiner, then you may could go either way. That tends to be the opinions I hear.

2.5/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

From winter brew tasting notes (2010): Dark amber colored with light brown head. The aroma is predominantly peaches and apricots. The taste is naturally heavy on the peaches with some nutty malt, banana bread and caramel flavors also in the mix. A peach flavored Dunkelweizen is not exactly my ideal winter seasonal but the overall flavor is surprisingly smooth and refreshing. Neat vintage label and this beer was a major let down for me - too peachy for a winter. I'd rather stick with the Shiner Bock here.

3.6/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Extra toss-in from DeathbySexyBT.

12oz bottle poured into a goblet. Pours a crystal clear, dark ruby. No head at all; no lace. I like that color though. The nose is fruity with strong notes of peaches, and strawberry jam. This really smells like morning toast. Unexpected for the style, but it is pleasant.

Decent body. Carbonation is spot on. Finishes fine. The fruit is definitely the main player with flavors of strained peaches, more jam, cherries. I'm not getting any of the nutty quality others noted. Slightly drying on the finish. This is a decent beer, but is the style correct?? I'd just call this a Fruit Beer and be done with it.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle pours a clear mahogany body with a creamy beige head that lasts the duration. Some attractive patchy lace clings to the glass. Nice looker.

Aroma is peeaches and toasted pecans. Peach essence seems to be a blend of canned and fresh.

Body and carbonation are medium and the mouthfeel has the creaminess of a dunkelweizen.

Taste is like the aroma, toasted pecans and peaches. A hint of wheat malt twang is the only suggestion of a dunkelweizen. Vague hop bitterness balances.

No real dunkelweizen character here but the peaches and pecans create a unique taste profile. An interesting take on a holiday brew.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%

12 oz bottle poured into pint...

A: Light mahogany color with about a fingers worth of head that settles to a nice foamy ring, little lacing to speak of.

S: I like the smell strong peaches with a nutty pecan aroma.

T: First thing to hit me is a pleasant hit of caramel malt, followed quickly by a blend of peaches and pecans with a hint of clove and yeast. Nice clean finish, leaving a slight peachy aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, carbonation is crisp and slightly dry.

D: Low ABV and interesting mix of flavors and smells... very night little beer.

Another good beer from Shiner, different and good.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Poured out a burgundy color with a one-finger, off-white head of fluffy foam. It left minimal lace.

S - It smelled of peaches, maltiness and overall was fairly sweet. Not a bad smell, but it just didn't have any dunkelweizen aroma.

T - It tasted of peaches, malt and some crisp wheat flavor came through here. Mild yeastiness.

M - It was fairly crisp and sharp. A light bodied ale that is very easy drinking.

D - This is an interesting beer. Some dunkelweizen flavor with peaches mixed it. I would drink it again. It could be something to have on hand for guests.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%

Sounded interesting with the peaches and pecans, so I had to try one. Pours an amber gold color with minimal white foam that settles fast. Aromas of baked apples and cinnamon with a nutty undertone. Flavor is lightly sweet and refreshing. A nutty malt base with hints of honey and peach fruit. Nice carbonation, pretty much an adult holiday soda.

2.28/5  rDev -35.2%

12oz bottle, 2010 batch. Pours clear copper amber with a one finger off white head that quickly recedes to a wispy cap and ring, not much lacing at all. Aroma is a bunch of funky peaches, I can dig peaches but these are just...well...funky. A lot of pecan as well, maybe too much as it ain't playing nicely with the peaches and may be what is contributing to the funk. Also a bit of caramel malt. Good strength. Flavor is also loaded with the funky peach taste, particularly on the finish, pecans, good caramel malt backbone, bready, rather sweet. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, oily becoming sticky, medium carbonation. Not my cup of tea. I know they use real peaches and pecans but can't help but feel that those may be boosted by some artificial flavorings as well. Doubt I'll make it to the end of the glass...

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner