Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,405
3.38/5  rDev -4%

Poured into a Weizen glass to a redish copper color, and a very good tan head. The smell is very apparent that peaches are used. In fact, along with the taste, peaches are being overused. So much that this really should be catagorized as a fruit beer.

Of the new releases in 2008 from Shiner, I'd have to say this is the best one. But I liked their Dunkelweizen the way it was. I'd also like to have less peach and more pecan flavor in this beer.

This will be the last 6'er I buy of this. There are just far too many better winter/christmas beers out there.

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a deep amber, forming a good 1 inch head, leaving light spots of lace that slide down the glass.

S - Strong peach aroma dominates the nose. Detection of anything else is minimal.

T - Strong taste of peach up front, followed by a hint of wheat malt, and a very noticeable nutty finish in the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D - Great flavor, low alcohol, and smooth drinkability makes this a very holiday sessionable ale. With that said, its almost impossible to view this as a dunkelweizen. I dont see many traits of a dunkelweizen in this beer, and IMO should be considered a fruit beer. Highly drinkable and delicious!!!

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Nose is highly peachy with spicy notes. Smells kind of like a fruit-flavored soda - almost like peach Fresca, only more peaches-and-creamy.

Pours a dark caramel color, good clarity, mild foamy head.

First sip shows some bitterness and soft peachy, creamy, fruity flavors. A little malt, mild dry roast notes and drop of caramel sweetness. Splash of floral hop. More bitterness acts like a mechanical hum white nose in the background. Deeper peach notes - some sips really come close to the feeling of the wonderful canned peaches I love. I can't really detect the pecan (pronounced 'pee-can', not 'pa-con' round here), but I do get some dry, oily, nutty notes that I attribute more the malt than actual nuts. Then again, I don't think I've ever had a beer with real nuts in it so I can't say. Deeper sweetness, and the bitterness subsides for the most part. Medium body with syrupy feeling (think 'peaches with medium syrup') and moderate carbonation. Perhaps the creaminess is from the wheat?

What a funny thing to come from Shiner. I love the idea, and the beer's not bad either. It's fun and different and, well, peachy! Prosit!

3.88/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark amber coloring with one finger head that dissipated slowly. Lacing apparent. Nice looking brew.

S: Wow, what an intriguing nose. The peach tones nearly overwhelm everything. I've had beer with an apricot nose before but never a peach nose.

T & M: Mouthfeel is highly carbonated but not overly so, just slightly watery. Peach tones come through initially but do not overwhelm. Finish has a hint of pecan. Nice smooth drinking brew that I can see myself drinking throughout the holidays. Good job in not making the peach sweetness cloying.

D: Definitely drinkable, good work Spoetzl. I'm always pleased when the little brewery in Shiner cranks out a quality brew.

3.78/5  rDev +7.4%

I'm a big fan of any Shiner offering, and I always try the seasonal beers they release--most of the time it's just once. This is one of their better brews, and I can see myself buying many more sixers of this during the holidays. Beer looks much like their other dark offerings (Shiner Black, Dunkelweisen), smell is really peachy and fruity, nice head, good lacing. The mouthfeel is somewhat thin, but has good carbonation. Taste is really fruity, almost tangy, with a slight nuttiness at the end.

Great beer, one of Shiner's best in my opinion. The fruitiness was a nice surprise, would recommend this beer to anyone.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

3.53/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This new offering from Shiner, poured into a pint glass, comes out a nice reddish amber color with a dense, creamy head. The nose is very peachy (though, er, not peachy keen), to the exclusion of all else. The flavor is interesting--lots of peachiness, but not as sweet as I feared. Some nutty pecan comes through, and a light bittering hoppiness at the finish. Certainly different, and not all that bad.

I appreciate a fruit beer that isn't cloyingly sweet. This isn't a beer I'll seek out again, but I don't dread finishing the six-pack. In fact, it's quite drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

A: Pours mahogany color with a large beige head. Lots of sticky lace is left behind as the head recedes.
S: Definitely lots of peaches. Sweet malt with a light roasted character. Just a hint of some pecan/nutty aroma.
T: An interesting flavor of peaches, sweet roasted malt, and pecans. More pecans than were in the nose.
M/D: A medium body that is over carbonated for my tastes. Slick and oily. Smooth and easy to drink. Something that I could session.

This is different and unique. Something I would recommend. Definitely one of Spoetzl's better offerings.

3.63/5  rDev +3.1%

Seen they had only one sixer at the store so I grabbed it as well.

Peaches in a dunkel hmm sounds interesting.

The aroma is very holiday season like with spices and fruits. Kind of like a Fruit cake in a glass.

Mouthfeel was not bad at all. it was a little sharp up front with a twang of fruit and peaches with a little bittering on the back end.

Overall this beer suprised me. I found myself enjoying it. Although I could not drink more than a few due to the big present of peaches. Not a big peach fan but the beer was tasty.

3.11/5  rDev -11.6%

Just saw this at the store today so I grabbed a six pack. Not sure if a six pack was such a good idea, though. This is a strange brew.

Poured into my Sam Adams crazy glass. Beautiful color. Bright amber/brown with ruby reds and sunlight orange hues shining through. Thin head recedes quickly into a light film over the beer. Not much lace, but man it's a pretty beer. The nose is a bit strange. Odd mix of light fruit and malt. Kinda reminds me of the old Nehi Peach soda. Definitely some peach, some faint nutty scents, and malty sweetness, but on the whole it's a bit odd. Not necessarily offensive, just odd. The taste is similar in comparison. Strange peach flavor, nutty bitterness. Mostly malt sweetness, but the strange peach flavor lingers a bit too much in the aftertaste. Bizarre. Again, not bad, but bizarre. A slight hint of smoky pepper in there too gives it a spicy bite. Mouthfeel is light but slightly creamy. Not bad.

What an odd beer, this Holiday Cheer. Not sure I'd call it a dunkelweizen, although it is, according to the brewery, a variation on their dunkel theme from a previous brew. Still, I can't see this one catching on with the mainstream. Interesting, yes, but probably a one-time brew. Glad I tried it, though, if nothing else.

firstprev| 301-325 | 326-350 | 351-375  | next → last