Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,354 | Reviews: 379
3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

Apricot jam in a bottle with a touch of hops. Golden orange in the glass with a very nice head and spritzy on the tongue.

Light body. This is just so sweet and fruity. I taste peach, then apricot, then orange marmalade. Malty but not exactly rich. If only it swerved into a dry and bitterish Belgian yeasty flavor-- but no such luck. There doesn't seem to be much aroma. Breathing out through the nose is like exhaling peach brandy from the gas station liquor store. Still, it's quite drinkable, just hard to get your palate around. If they called it "Orchard Amber" for a summer quaff, it might go down easier. Totally weird and worth a try if you like fruit flavors.

I think this one should be in the Fruit/Vegetable category. If this is a Dunkelweizen, it's well disguised. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Pinkie's in San Angelo.

2.11/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

I'm typically a Spoetzl apologists as I like several of their beers, but not this one. Not only is it not a Dunkelweizen as the name suggest, it really is a poor tasting beer. This is even the 2nd year that I've given it a try thinking my first may have been a mistake. The mistake wasn't trusting my original impression.

A - The color is a nice enough, but not what I equate to a dark wheat. This had more of a brown ale red hue and absolutely clear.

S - I did like the peach smell and that is probably the nicest thing I have to say about this beer. Do I equate peach with Dunkelweizens? No, but the peaches were the element that I associated with giving it a festive, seasonal characteristic.

T - Ok, this is really where the train left the rails. The taste is horrible. It had a very distinctive bitter taste, like they brewed the beer with the pecan shells and not the nuts. I do not say this as hyperbole, that was the actual taste. The finish was artificial tasting to me, almost a cough medicine taste.

M - The mouthfeel was generally alright.

O - Overall, I downgraded my rating from what I gave this beer last year. It just simply is undrinkable. Unfortunately its poor showing prompting me to write a full review this time.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- looks medium brown, but is beautiful dark red when held up to light. Vaguely off-white head that disappears quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Lots of peach and a little bit nut.

T- Love this. Starts with loads of peach, has a very round, nutty taste in the middle, and finishes with a little citrusy-pine hops.

MF- Meh. Not bad, but a little under-carbonated to be great. If you're looking for a sweetish session brew, the mouthfeel makes this a decent choice.

Overall- this is one of my favorite beers, i look forward to it every year. I might love it less if it was available year round, but drinking a few six-packs in the winter months is a blast. Perfect for Christmas parties for BA's and beer-normies alike.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery