Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
2.35/5  rDev -33.4%

Aroma: Crazy big artificial fruit flavors going on here. I get lots of artificial grape gum flavors that dominate the nose. No hop aromas. Some bready malt character as the beer is agitated.

Appearance: Dark copper colored pour with a low and short lasting white head.

Flavor: More artificial fruit flavors. Kind of seems like cran-grape juice. Background spicy hop notes provide some balance. Finish is crisp and dry.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and high carbonation. No astringency or warmth on the palate.

Overall impression: A very artifical, confusing ale. Not sure what to think of it but it just tasted industrial and artificial. Avoid.

mattcrill, Dec 07, 2009
4.64/5  rDev +31.4%

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator.

jmbranum, Dec 06, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

bottle states a bavarian style dark wheat deer.

pours is copper lager clear. with as small head that doesn't stick around long. nose is that initial cereal i've found in other shiners... after it sits a very prominent strawberry. palate is sweet. not much wheat character. not much of anything besides the fruit citrus of a strawberry then a overly hoppy. and i'm not saying its actually a hoppy beer but no balance at all as for malt character interaction. quite plain. might have been decent if it wasn't clear... crisp, not bready dense. not as misplaced yeast as some of the other shiners. definitely not a dukelweizen so don't try if that's what you're hoping for.

rtepiak, Dec 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +15.6%

Appearance-opaque brown with a red tint
Smells like peaches and cream
Taste- peaches and cream and caramel with medium bitterness from hops.
Mouthfeel- medium/high water content
Drinkablility- easy to drink but could probably only drink 2 or 3 in a night because of the peach.

This beer is not sweet like I thought it was going to be, which was a pleasant surprise. I would probably spend 6 bucks on a 22oz rogue style bottle, but luckily it is that price for a 6 pack. Very good deal and very good beer. The flavor is very complex and the peach/cream/caramel comes first with the hop bitterness next. Both flavors then lighten up. Also, the beer is very carbonated. Best beer that I have had from Shiner. They did a great job brewing this beer.

huricrane47, Dec 01, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -13.6%

Bottle enjoyed at the Old Chicago yesterday.

It poured a clear deep amber with about an inch of foam. Some lacing.

The smell was very sweet and fruity with a butt load of peaches shining through.(pun intended)

The taste brought the peaches to my tastebuds along with a light taste of the pecans. It tasted very grainy as well...wheat, me thinks. Decent taste but perhaps a bit too sweet.

Light bodied with medium carbonation. It does finish on the watery side.

Drinkability? Interesting stuff going on but 1 bottle was all that I could handle. Worth a shot but nothing really sessionable about this brew and really, not much of a dunkelweizen.

Bitterbill, Nov 28, 2009
3.13/5  rDev -11.3%

This is an amber, carbonated beer with modest foam that quickly disappeared. Peaches, peaches, and more peaches--it is difficult to pick out any else from the peachy saturated aroma. A decent mouthfeel. The wheat character is definitely present, adding some texture to the experience.

The flavor is more in the sweet peach department with a dash of holiday spice at the end.

Sweetness and the extent of the peach is a bit too much for this beer enthusiast.

BeardedBoffin, Nov 25, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

This brew is a deep clear reddish color. An aggressive pour forms a smallish creamy head that dissipates somewhat quickly and leaves light lacing.
The aroma is almost entirely fruit (strawberry, peacher and/or apricot), perhaps some grains, and subtle spices. It's pretty light.
The flavor is likewise pleasant but light and makes for extreme sessionability. This is a lot like a soda, not the overly sweetened kind; more like an Italian soda.
The mouthfeel is pretty thin with a light to moderate carbonation giving it a crisp bite.

Brenden, Nov 23, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +19%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble' glass.

Dark Hefe-copper with a foamy one inch head thats sustains with a nice lace.

Smells of ripe peaches, spicey saaz and roasted nuts.

Taste is a smooth fruity peach and roasted almond blended with a noble saaz and flowery lemon grass.

Smooth and satisfying medium bodied offering. Excellent holiday brew!

Holiday cheer indeed...

GordonQuid, Nov 23, 2009
4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark copper in color with a big, creamy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! A bit unexpected, but a pleasant surprise of fresh peaches, wheat, and spices
Taste-Fresh peaches, dark malts and wheat, subtle roasted pecans that just balance out the sweetness of the peaches. Nicely balanced, as a little peach essence goes a long way , but this brew seems to get it right. Flavor is not cloying, but rather refreshing and very drinkable. A very interesting and tasty offering-Certainly worth a try!

hosehead83, Nov 22, 2009
2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

Oh God, the peaches. It's not so much that the peach flavor is all that bad, in fact it's one of the more natural-tasting fruit flavors in a fruit beer that I've tried, but it's just extremely peachy, like someone mixed peach preserves and beer. The smell is particularly peachy, literally rather than figuratively. The flavor is like a cross between a strawberry soda, a light possibly decent dunkelweizen and a giant bowl of peaches (and a trace of bile - but I hate a lot of sweet fruit beers). I've never really associated peaches with the holiday season, so it leaves me a bit confused. Maybe, it's a Texas thing. Also, if anyone can taste pecan in this beer, my hat is off to you. It's really not a horrible beer, I guess, but it's not my thing.

popery, Nov 21, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +11.9%

Alright, so this is my first review, and I am partial to dunkelweizen, but this beer was very interesting. The peach notes are obvious from the moment you open the bottle, and the pecan is tasted from the first sip. While this isn't my first rodeo, I did appreciate the subtleness from the first note onward. While this isn't the best dunkel I've had, I have been enjoying it thoroughly. All I can say is the description on the bottle has been accurate, and isn't going to disappoint.

Nichts, Nov 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +14.2%

A spiced dark wheat wassail, caramel colored, with a fresh peachy note in the nose.
After reading about this a Christmas or two ago, this is my first sampling, and I must admit this is like finding a surprise package under the tree. I have never tasted an ale like this one before. The use of peaches and pecans gives this a unique flavor profile, which is neither dry nor sweet, but has bit of tartness in the finish. Getting over the initial flavor shock, this becomes a very tasty, drinkable beer. A krausend 5.4 % delight.

thebeerdoctor, Nov 18, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

12oz bottle poured into a pint 1554 pint glass.

A: Pours a dark cola-like brown with a small tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: The nose is unlike any other I've ever had. Big candied fruit sweetness, malty, and a hint of peaches.

T: Taste is peaches, peaches, and more peaches with a malty backbone. It's pretty sweet and I'd like to see a bit more hops to balance this out a bit.

M: Light and refreshing with a tiny bit of creaminess from the carbonation. About par for Shiner but I'd like to see a bit more body seeing as how this is a Dunkel.

D: I could have two or maybe 3 before the sweetness got to me. I'd also buy again if only to share with friends and family.

If you see it grab at least one bottle to try. The interesting Peach component makes this pretty unique at least from a TX brewer.

GregSVT, Nov 17, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a dark amber to brown color. Very clear, especially against its opaque qualities. Head formation is strong, lightly off white. Carbonation is light.

S - A sugar sweet combination of light malts, crystal malts. Amazingly, the strongest flavor is an almost apple like note. I don't quite get the peaches or pecans.

T - Starts off with a light malt note that wants to sneak through a fruity backdrop. Builds with a bit of bitterness, but is certainly sweet forward. It does finish with a peach/apple note that is quite strong. Leaves behind more of that more apple than peach aftertaste.

M - Moderate to strong body - certainly strong built with the strong sugar backbone. Carbonation does come through in the mouthfeel, leaving a bit of a bite. Aftertaste is a bit clinging sweet.

D - Moderate drinkability. ABV is not a problem. A bit thick to call it a session beer - turns just a bit filling. Clinging sweetness does become a bit overbearing.

A good Christmas beer - although I'm not sure its a dunkel.

katan, Nov 13, 2009
3.23/5  rDev -8.5%

A- Awefully clear for a Dunkelweisse. Red/amber with, I think, the most bubbles i've ever seen rising to a frothy head.

S- Peachy? Yes. Also, somewhat of a dirty dish sponge note that is off-putting and some sweet malt.

T&M- Fairly muddled taste, but clearly peachy. Slightly nutty in the finish, but the highlights for me were caramel and vanilla in the mid-palate, and a nice malty mouthfeel. Gets a little better as it warms.

Not a very desirable beer by any means and definately a stretch calling this a Dunkelweiss.

brownbeer, Nov 13, 2009
2.9/5  rDev -17.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

It pours up with 2 fingers of light tan foam that settles into a fizzle of lace that holds on to the copper/brown body.

The aroma is pleasing with a dominant smell of overripe peaches backed by toasty malt and pecans.

After the aroma the taste is quite a letdown. The artificial-tasting peach completely overrides the other aspects of the beer. The pecan is barely perceptible followed by some grainy wheat. Some hop bitterness hangs around on the back of the palate. The more I drink it the more muddled the flavors become. It's pretty sweet and the non-beer flavors that abound in this beer severely hurt the drinkability.

I must admit, peach isn't a flavor I'm fond of in beer. I'm glad I only bought a single bottle of this. I applaud the creative spin on a holiday beer, but it's just not my bag.

bump8628, Nov 02, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Not a bad beer, but kinda freaks me out.

Has a nice dark amber color, with a head that dissipates quickly.
Carbonation is high. Beer smells of peaches! (which is claims on the packaging)
Tastes like peaches and pecans.. freaky but somewhat tasty.
Not sure if I would buy it again or not.

Spineypanda, Nov 02, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

A: A clear dark brown with a finger width of tan colored head.

S: Aromas are mostly of peach with some sweet toasted malt and a touch of herbal hop. The peach aroma is really, really strong.

T: A nice toasted nutty malt flavor up front with some herbal hop flavor and bitterness. The finish is where the peach really comes out with a little bitterness that combines with the toasted malt/nut flavors. A lot better than I had anticipated, tastes really good, but that peach is strong.

M: Mouthfeel is full bodied and the carbonation is good.

D: This is a nice beer. The fruity peach flavors remind me of a summer beer, while the full body and toasted malts are more of a fall feel. Overall the beer works, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who doesn't like sweet fruity beers.

Kromes, Oct 29, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -3.7%

the appearance was a deep red color

the smell was very very peachy pretty nice.

the taste was alot like peach coolaid and bland.

mouthfeel was decend a bit watery though.

i drank all right away cause that was about the only enjoyment i got from them

joozyboozy, Oct 26, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured clear dark amber with frothy tan head. Sticky to the glass. Slow moving head.

Peaches are all I smell. Weird.

Taste is pleasant, surprisingly. Peaches do not dominate the taste as they do the smell. Spices are subtle. Malts are subtle. Hops are very subtle. Peaches are subtle. Nothing stands out, which is probably just as well.

Mouth is moderate fizzy, creating a nice cream finish.

I'm usually not a fan of Holiday spiced ales. They are mostly over the top with artificial flavors; however, this one dispite its weird smell is quite nice. I could do a couple of these during the holidays or any other days. It would be nice with a slice of pecan pie. Which reminds me....I did't even notice the pecans!

JohnWaynes44, Jul 08, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured a Clear fizzy amber color with a creamy off white head and good lacing. Smells of artificial peaches, nutty, bready. Taste is about as it smells, Huge peach flavor but not in a good way. It taste way too artificial and sweet. Light to medium oily body. One is definably enough to drink in one sitting. I don't believe I will drink this again to tell you the truth.

mugglesandhops, Jul 07, 2009
3.53/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Clear medium amber body sport a dense, creamy, off-white head, with lots of scattered, thin lacing, and slight carbonation.

Aroma: Fresh peach notes are very, very prominent, to the exclusion of all else, overwhelming any malt characteristics, or pecans.

Taste: Opens with toasted malts, as the taste progresses, a moderately bitter, lingering herbal hop flavor. Later in the taste, some nut notes appear, presumably the pecans, and a prominent peach skin note. The peaches, with the bitter characteristic of the skins, blend harmoniously with the hops, and bring the taste to a graceful close.

Mouth feel: Smooth and full, fairly soft.

Drinkability/notes: I give Shiner high marks for using native Texas ingredients, the peaches and pecans, in an original way. However, the original Shiner Dunkelweizen was an excellent beer, and Holiday Cheer is certainly not its equal. If this beer is to be offered again, more emphasis on the pecans, as with 512 Brewing superb Pecan Porter, would be welcome, with the peaches taking on a lesser role. Its certainly not bad, but could be better.

Presentation: Packaged in a twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Apr 26, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours from the bottle a deep blend of garnet and brown with a short-lived finger of brown head. Peach dominates the aroma, much like a can of fruit cocktail, but it's not a unpleasant smell. The amount of peachiness in the nose is a good indicator of what's to come in the taste. The peach flavors, however, aren't as pleasant, and I found the taste a little astringent. The pecans the label mentions do come out at last in the finish, however, and are a nice touch. A slightly hoppy finish combined with the peach flavor makes for a below average mouthfeel and drinkability, in my opinion.

An interesting beer and not bad.... I'm glad to have Shiner trying offerings like this, and I think I'd drink a few again next winter.

Riccymon, Apr 04, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Pours a clear, deep, dark amber body with a smallish, frothy, off-white head.

Smell: The aroma is almost fully dominated by the scent of peach.

Taste: Bready, toasty malts with a light sweetness. There's the anticipated peach flavor, though, thankfully, it doesn't overwhelm everything else like it did in the nose. Vague nuttiness. No more than a light hop bitterness. Drying, peachy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: I don't get it. The union of peaches and pecans alongside a dunkelweizen (which is as much a proper dunkelweizen as Shiner Bock is a bock) is totally lost on me. This just isn't what I'm looking for in a fruit beer, winter beer, or dunkelweizen.

ChainGangGuy, Mar 25, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -6.5%

Lucent reddish orange with bright orange trim. It's hard to be impressed by any beer that uses artificial caramel color (although maybe other breweries just don't admit it). The khaki colored cap looks decent enough, but doesn't do a very a good job of decorating the glass.

Texas peaches and roasted pecans are odd choices of ingredients to add to a holiday ale. That design decision could either succeed admirably or fail miserably. The aroma is pretty much wall-to-wall peachiness and smells nothing like a dunkelweizen. It's a good, natural scent (if you like peaches), but it makes the beer too one-dimensional.

The flavor isn't quite as fruit-dominant, making Holiday Cheer taste more like the peachy dunkelweizen the brewers were aiming for. Some might disagree, but this combination of dark wheat and fruit isn't one that floats my boat. About half as much peachiness would have been better.

It isn't easy to appreciate the roasted pecans. The beer is no more nutty (it's actually less nutty) than most brown ales. Again, peaches are too prominent, which tends to steamroll over any complexities that might have been present. A good sweet-bitter balance keeps it reasonably drinkable... if you enjoy the flavor. 22 IBUs contribute a minor nip on the finish.

Considering the 5.4% ABV, the mouthfeel isn't too bad. It's light without being watery and stops well short of being too abundantly bubbled. Call me crazy, but a holiday beer should be bulkier than this. Then again, Texas doesn't have a *real* winter.

Shiner Holiday Cheer is a unique beer that gets points for originality. On the other hand, only peachophiles will love it. Since I'm not one, I don't. Here's hoping the boys at Spoetzl come up with something completely different this coming holiday season.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 19, 2009