Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery

good

Spoetzl Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with no freshness date. Well, at least it's obvious what time of year this one hits the shelves.

Pours a beautiful reddish brown color with really good clarity. Cream colored head stood about an inch tall following a medium pour. After several minutes, it's reduced to a thin layer covering the majority of the beer. Some decent lacing.

Peaches come through nicely in the aroma. Maybe just a hint of pecan nuttiness, caramel, and butterscotch.

Slightly fruity up front with the malts and and wheat all working well together. Not getting too much in the way of pecan, but I'm sure that they add some sort of mild flavor here. Very delicate/soft bitterness on the back end.

Medium bodied with the carbonation landing just below moderate. Slight syrupy feel in the finish.

Not bad actually. I could see this as more of a fall or early spring seasonal.

Morey's Bottom Line: I don't think the peaches are overdone here at all. After reading some other reviews, that's what I was expecting. If anything, this dunkel is a bit tame and thin. Still an enjoyable beer though. By far the best I've had from this brewery.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I'll admit it, the label design influenced me in my choice for a mix n match six pack Saturday. I love cheesy retro design and font. The beer is good and I would buy a full six-pack again.

Appearance: Blushing Caramel color - pours an average head, barely any lacing.

Smell: Southern Holiday: Peaches, Nutmeg, "A brisk 55 degree day" Subtle essence of date or currant.

Taste: It's sweet, not hoppy, it's a gentle beer. This would be a good choice to bring to a holiday party where the crowd is partial to Bud Light or MGD. It's flavorful, but not going to scare anyone away.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin style, perhaps I've been indulging in too many oatmeal stouts lately.

Overall: The drinkability it high for the newbie, it's be a good introductory beer for those just starting to branch away from the generic flavors of american standards. It's a great Monday after work beer.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a red-caramel-brown with no head. It is transparent. The smell is delightfully fruity; strong notes of peaches and apricots.
The taste is quite sensual as well, but not something I would enjoy AT ALL if a beer is what I craved. It doesn't have any kind of satisfying beer character. It is a fruit flavoured beer. It should not be considered a dunkelweizen at all even if that is what the base ale is. Shiner doesn't mislabel it as they explicitly state that it is brewed with peaches and pecans. It has a very light character and high carbonation, with ripe fruit really being the dominant character. The aftertaste is a bit odd. Very dry, but not entirely unpleasant. This is a fantastic beverage if you are in the mood for something fruity and not for a traditional beer. I can't say that enough. Good stuff, though.

1.85/5  rDev -48%

I would not bother to dis a beer just because I didn't like it but this beer crossed the line by labeling itself as a Dunkelweizen.

I was fortunate enough to live in Germany for three years. I don't claim to be an expert but Dunkelweizen was one of my top three favorite German styles and I tried it everywhere I saw it (including every example in the BJCP). This beer misses the Dunkelweizen mark in every category.

A - The color is a quite lovely ruby hue but the beer is much too clear. Dunkelweizen is traditionally unfiltered with a strong protein haze that is apparent even if you don't swirl the sediment.

S - The peach smell is pretty nice but the beer lacks all of the phenol and ester aromas that make Dunkelweizens mouthwatering.

T - I was looking forward to the peach in this beer and it was nice but a little strong, perhaps because most of the other expected flavors were missing. There is an obvious Munich component to this beer but there is little else that is found in an authentic Dunkelweizen. No banana or clove. Muted esters. No breadiness from the yeast.

M - The mouthfeel is decent but it missing the "heft" of an unfiltered wheat beer.

O - Compared to other American wheat beers and/or fruit beers I find this one to be average but I will be the first to admit that this is not my style. If Spoetzl had marked this beer as Dark American Wheat I still wouldn't like it but I would be forced to give it slightly higher marks. As it stands, the "Old World Dunkelweizen" on the box is an outright lie.

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

A- Comes out of the bottle a distinctly clear ruby color with a slim sliver of head and no lacing.

S- Punches of peaches! Lots of sweet peach flavor- very ripe, maybe canned, maybe candied peaches

T- Lots of the same peach as the nose. I can get some of the darker nut flavors if I really try, but the sweetness if pretty overwhelming. Still the taste is more balanced than the aroma, for what it's worth. As it warms up there are some more flavors- the bready malt comes out a bit, but accompanying it is some cheap vodka.

M- The sweetness lingers, but it's a rather light beer besides that.

O- Who likes peaches? If you're looking for a peach soda clone this is probably your best bet.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a nice clear dark copper color with a slight hint of ruby red. A cream colored head dissipates to an even film. Sticky, watery lacing. The beer smells tremendous, because you can really smell peaches here. Again, peaches dominate, but it's got enough of a caramel malt presence to help, sort of. It's overbearingly sweet, and peachy. The mouthfeel is smooth, perhaps a tad watery. Overall, this is a weird one. It's just too sweet! And peachy! I don't equate peaches with Holiday Cheer in any way, but I do realize this beer is a regional thing. It's fun to have one, but a 6 pack? yikes.

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Extremely clear medium brown beer with a small head that melts to a ring.

The aroma is a balance of sweet malt and tart fruit.

Way too much fruit. And way too sweet. It tastes like I'm drinking a piece of peach candy. I hate the flavor. It doesn't taste like beer.

The mouthfeel is not bad. Medium bodied. But I'm having trouble getting past the flavor.

It sounds weird to say, but everything about this beer was good except the flavor. In fact, I ha to pour it out after I drank about 3/4 of the bottle. And I hate to do that, but there's other way better beer in my fridge.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery