Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Shiner Holiday CheerShiner Holiday Cheer

good

good

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 352 | Hads: 1,367

A simply unique seasonal Christmas beer! Living in NE Ohio we are fortunate enough to enjoy Great Lakes Christmas Ale and Thirsty Dog's 12 Dogs of Christmas. However, Shiner Cheer from Texas has become our favorite Holiday beer surpassing all the fantastic beers we are able to enjoy in Ohio. Additionally, the branding and color permutation of the label may be the best out there. So cool and so glad this beer has arrived! (424 characters)

If you're from Texas, or you have a special place for Hill Country peaches and Texas pecans, and Shiner, you're gonna love this beer. It pours out dark amber, has a wonderful peach aroma and just the right amount of bitterness. I like it better than the Hefe Shiner makes, but its kind of like that the first time you drink it you know you're getting something different, and something good. Like the hefe, it is fairly high ABV, you wouldn't really know it though as smooth as it goes down. Who said they could only drink two of these in a session, lmao. (555 characters)

The perfect Christmas beer. The flavors of pecans and peaches are subtle and not over powering like that crap made with water from Lake Michigan. This is a truly sessionable Christmas beer. There is no need to put anything girly around the rim of the glass to kill the taste, it is great on it's own. I am drinking it right now! (328 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +36.4%

This beer looks absolutely delicious. A nice darker beer with red hues very appetizing to me.

It smells heavily of peaches and is just very unique to me, its a lovely fruity flavor which I feel is very well suited to a Christmas ale. It's a very nice change from the usual (though delicious) culprits (nutmeg, cherries, cinnamon, ect) that are in Christmas ales.

The taste is a tad too fruity for me, it is very delicious though (this comin from a guy who loathes peaches). I like my Christmas ales with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg and while I love the aroma I wish I could taste a little more of these spices.

Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth.

Even though its not a traditional Christmas ale (in my eyes) it is a very unique and delicious change. Add some cinnamon/cardamom and nutmeg and this guy would be perfect. (828 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

It is a rarity anymore when The CANQuest (TM) is the first to review a particular beer in/from a CAN, but this is one of those rare instances! It used to be pretty easy to accomplish this feat, but with the craft CAN revolution on full swing and loads of new CANned beers coming out every day, it has gotten harder. Cheers to The Friendly Greek for making singles of this one available.

From the CAN: "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Greetings from Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color".

The Crack was nice and loud, befitting a Texan beer and my inverted Glug was equally big, to the point that I had to back off to avoid an overflow. While awaiting some of the massive, dense, tawny two-plus fingers of head to fell to a point of reasonable drinability, I took in its color. It was a deep-mahogany (SRM = > 27, < 34) with button-brightness. Man, i could really smell the peaches on the nose! It was like a CAN of preserves. Mouthfeel was medium and the peach flavor was unrelenting, but it also had flavors of milk chocolate and a nuttiness that was the peCANs doing their thing. Finish was pretty sweet, which is usually a drawback for me, but I was really digging this beer. I know that The Friendly Greek also has bottles for sale, so I may give that serving style a try. In the meantime, let me know if you would like me to score a CAN for you in trade for a CAN that I have not tried. Cheers!

Today is Saturday, 28 June 2014 and I have a bottle that had been held in abeyance which I am also going to review at this time.

From the bottle: "Here's a Brew! A Bavarin-style dark wheat"; "'Tis the season for cheer"; "Just for You! Enjoy the Gift of Holiday Cheer"; "Spoetzel Brewery Shiner, Texas 77984"; "Ale brewed with peaches and peCANs and with natural flavor and caramel color"; "Every drop of Shiner is brewed in Shiner"; "Happy Holidays from the 'Little Brewery' in Shiner, TX. We hope you enjoy your Shiner Cheer, an Old World Dunkelweizen brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans. The malty flavors of this dark wheat ale are enhanced through the use of malted barley and wheat. And Krausening ensures a smoothness hat makes the subtle peach and pecan flavors all the more satisfying. May your days be merry and bright and your Shiner be cold. Prosit!"; "Give one to someone you love!"

I appreciate that this beer had such wonderful patience in waiting for me to get around to drinking it. The pour began to foam up pretty quickly, so I backed off and let the pseudo-cascade do its thing before settling into two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown with mahogany highlights (SRM = > 22, < 27) and NE-quality clarity. Man, but the nose was just redolent with peaches! Peachy keen, I say. I may run out and get a Tastykake Peach Pie after this. Mouthfeel was soft, kind of full and creamy and the taste was heavy on the peaches, but with a nuttiness, also. Finish was fruity, nutty, semi-sweet, but not over the top. Man, I could drink this year-'round! (3,110 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The ratings given above are of the most recent tasting

Review of 11-12-13
AR: 4.5 AR 4.75 F 4.75 MF 4.25 OA 4.5

Wow... they have tweaked the recipe again. I think they have upped the peaches and the pecans. Just a little bit of hop and spice in the background. Very sweet but not overly so. Very smooth. Also very affordable.

My only gripe is that they do use "natural flavorings" and "caramel color" according to the label. This made a slight dent in the overall score.

Review of 12-4-2012
AP: 4.0, AR: 4.5, F: 4.5, MF: 4.0, OA: 4.5

I think they changed the recipe since 2009 because I really like this tasting (and I didn't like this beer when I had it in 2009).

The aroma is very fruity (definitely some ripe peaches) and some wheaty malt goodness.

Appearance has changed. This is now a shade lighter than Shiner Bock (rather than darker back in 2009).

Flavor is fantastic. Yes, there are peaches (ripe juicy ones) and pecans, but there is also some faint spiciness, and some heffeweizen-ish twang. Rich and sweet but not overly so. Pecan and peaches are noticeable in the finish. Not much hops but maybe a smidgen of cloves and cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is much improved. Smooth and NOT over carbonated (as it was back in 2009).

Overall, this is one of the best beers I have had from Shiner in some time. I don't know what they did to the recipe (or if the 2009 tasting was from a bad batch), but I like this beer in 2012! This beer should get the "Most Improved" award for sure.

Review of 12-6-2009
AP: 4.0, AR 3.5, F 3.0, MF 2.0 OA 2.5
This is a strange beer. I've liked Shiner's winter seasonals in the past, and I generally like fruit beers, but this one doesn't quite work for me.

Pretty mahogany brown brew with little head. Clear, a shade darker than Shiner Bock.

Aroma is faint, maybe some peaches. The flavor to me is sorta confused, and is further thrown off by the excessive carbonation. Maybe there is twinge of peaches (more in the aftertaste though), roasted malt. The bottle says there are pecans in it, but I can't taste them. Maybe a little bit of spice in there somewhere.

I don't know. This beer seemed to need a little more something, maybe a tiny bit sweeter...

Ok, as I drink more of it, it gets better. Maybe the carbonation is fading off as I drink more. But really they should have gone for more of a creamy mouthfeel than the highly carbed one.

Probably too harsh on this. It's a good value for the price, but I guess I've been spoiled by Shiners other recent offerings like Commemorator. (2,530 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +31.3%

A - Poured thicker than anticipated, which was a welcome revelation compared to previous renditions of SHC.
S - The creamy brown sugar, caramel, and peachy notes can knock your socks off if you're not careful. Very forward with smell, but doesn't overwhelm.
T - Such a wonderful departure from the previous version of SHC. Mild, but thick warm-your-fireplace-and-get-those-chesnuts-roasting start. I was so much caught off guard by the new flavor that I had to have another to assure myself I wasn't dreaming. Sweet, peachy, dessert notes to start with a wooden, nutty finish thanks to the pecan.
M - Deceivingly smooth and complex. I cannot attribute the carbonation to my pour, the bottling, or coincidence, but the lightness of it was surprising.
O - I was monumentally surprised at the changes in SHC for '11. It was a delight. It was impressive and will replace all other cozy, holiday beverages in my household. (917 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured this in a tall slim 12oz glass. Has a very airy bubbly head too it. Almost like a soda. The mouth feel of it is kind of like that too, very carbonated. BUT, that is in no way a negative take on it. Just a bit different for a beer.

The flavor is unique and delicious. Peaches... Big peach taste. You can some what taste the pecans in it and a little spice of some sort. It definitely screams Christmas. Unfortunately is is a seasonal, but if you see a 6 pack in the store during the holidays, it is a must to try with friends of family. (544 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%

The first time I had this beer in 2010 it was amazing. When it is bottled or canned it just doesn't taste anything like the draft version. If you can get in tap go for it. If not, just skip it. (193 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer. (530 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +29.5%

A dunkelweizen brewed with fresh Texas peaches and pecans...interesting. Pours a brilliantly clear ruby color with a thin light beige head that fades pretty rapidly. It's a decent looking beer, but nothing too special.

The aroma on this beer is absolutely wonderful. The peaches really shine through and smell fresh and bright. A bit of nutty maltiness is detectable, but not sure I can actually pick out any pecan aroma.

Mmmmm, delicious. Nutty sweet malts come out to play a bit more in the flavor with the peaches still being highly prominent. Pecan flavor is definitely noticeable if you are looking for it. Tangy, sweet, tart and crisp are all good descriptors here.

This is a love it or hate it kind of beer. I am not a huge Shiner fan, but I really dig this beer. They really stepped out of their comfort zone with this one, and I could not be happier they did so. An odd choice for a holiday beer? Yes. But is it delicious? Hell yea, damn near chuggable. I freaking went through over a case of this and hope they release it again next year. Important to note that it does not age well, as it really loses the peachy brightness of the beer. (1,150 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours with a medium-sized, white head. Had a very dark amber color. Has an aroma of wheat and peaches. The taste is a mixture of flavors. Initial one is peach and wheat. After taste is of malts and roasted pecans with a slight bitterness caused from the malted barley. A great balance is created between all the flavors. (322 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving! (923 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a deep amber, forming a good 1 inch head, leaving light spots of lace that slide down the glass.

S - Strong peach aroma dominates the nose. Detection of anything else is minimal.

T - Strong taste of peach up front, followed by a hint of wheat malt, and a very noticeable nutty finish in the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D - Great flavor, low alcohol, and smooth drinkability makes this a very holiday sessionable ale. With that said, its almost impossible to view this as a dunkelweizen. I dont see many traits of a dunkelweizen in this beer, and IMO should be considered a fruit beer. Highly drinkable and delicious!!! (738 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in North Aurora, IL for $1.50 in Fall 2010.

A beer that will pair excellent with fruitcake if you like fruitcake. Holiday Cheer pours a dark brown with a fruit scent, peaches are the most obvious. It drinks rather smooth as you get a semi-mild taste of different fruits ending in an ever so slight spice. Out of all the beers I've tried to date, this has to be my favorite. The only way to improve this to a 10 of 10 is by adding a slight more texture and taste to it. Definetly a must try if you can find it. (558 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.
(Edit: The one that I'm enjoying 12/31/14 has a whole lot of peach flavor going on. I like it!)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

Serving type: bottle (588 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +25%

I have bought this beer for the two holiday seasons. It is a very solid beer and another quality seasonal from Shiner. While it falls into line with the Dunkel's I have had, there is just somthing a little extra with it that I would recomend. If your a fan of shiner then you will probably love it, if you don't care for shiner, then you may could go either way. That tends to be the opinions I hear. (400 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer. (609 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance - a robust pour into the Sam Adams curvy glass yields a nice two finger manila head atop a clear, dark amber beer. Crests and lattices of lace form as the head drops back to a thick cover.

Aroma - peaches for sure, fruity but not excessively sweet.

Taste - a base malty sweetness, built upon by the sweetness of the peaches. I wouldn't really think peaches and pecans would ever go together, but they work well here. The light tannic character of the pecan offsets the fruit sugars enough to prevent this from being quickly brushed off as just another fruit/veg beer. The peaches are at the fore of the taste, the pecans showing up on the swallow towards the back of the tongue. The swallow allows the tannins to join with whatever hops are there for some balancing bitterness, but I'm thinking pecans not hops at this point. The finish is still a remaining trail of peach, a certain dryness and a bit of roast from the nuts. Unusally tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium to a touch light in body. Some smoothness, all playing well to accentuate the flavor IMO.

Drinkability - maybe it's just a fad, but I'm digging this beer and contemplating a few more sixers to share around the family and 'hood. Kudos to HawkinMI for alerting me to these babies over in NKY. (1,273 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark copper in color with a big, creamy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! A bit unexpected, but a pleasant surprise of fresh peaches, wheat, and spices
Taste-Fresh peaches, dark malts and wheat, subtle roasted pecans that just balance out the sweetness of the peaches. Nicely balanced, as a little peach essence goes a long way , but this brew seems to get it right. Flavor is not cloying, but rather refreshing and very drinkable. A very interesting and tasty offering-Certainly worth a try! (543 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +23%

This beer pours a clear brown with gold and ruby tones under the light. It's aroma begins with molasses followed by hints of fruit and roast. The flavor is complex and well balanced with molasses, nut, fruit, and toast notes with maple in the finish. It has a medium mouthfeel and is quite drinkable. Spoetzl Shiner Holiday Cheer is a very good beer, complex and balanced and is a great match for hard sourdough pretzels. Highly recommended! (441 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session. (467 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +21.9%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm. (397 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew (420 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long. (344 characters)

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner