Shiner Holiday Cheer - Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner

Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner visit their website
Texas, United States

Dunkelweizen |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: Atlas1 on 10-26-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shiner Holiday Cheer Alström Bros
Reviews: 360 | Hads: 1,405
4.6/5  rDev +30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bought a case of this at the Sam's in Grapevine, TX.

I thought at first after reading the label I might be turned off by peaches. I don't know if it's the batch I bought or not, but I can't really detect any peaches in it or it could be just a great balance that I can't detect it.

It pours a great color of a deep red.

Smell is very good which reminds me of Shiner.

Taste is very good. I like this brew best out of all the Shiner beers. Very crisp with spices.

I knocked out two of these right off the bat. Very good beer.

4.58/5  rDev +30.1%

This is a great beer for its price range. For only about $1 a beer, it's absolute joy. You can't really buy a beer this good for that kind of price, so I take that into account when I'm doing this review.

As others have mentioned, it's got a good, dark amber color. Probably not a true dunkelweizen, because it's obviously filtered. That's probably my only complaint with it. Others have said it is very peach-forward, but I disagree, and admire the depth of the pecan flavor. I actually could not smell or taste the peach until the VERY thick, creamy head had dissolved, which can take quite a while, and even after it's mostly gone, there will be little islands of froth on top. After that, though, it certainly has a very fruity scent, but I don't get a really distinct peach flavor. My boyfriend found it more apricot with some prunes. To me, it's just "fruity". The lacing is GORGEOUS on this beer, and adheres to the glass for a long time. It's definitely sweet on the aftertaste, but not in a bad way, and the 22 IBU as listed on the label is spot-on correct. But overall the thing that impresses me most is the mellow, pecan-y taste. I grew up in the South and remember eating pecans by the handful, because they're practically free down there. (Not like up north, where they're an asinine $8 a pound.) You might have to be from the deep South- Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia- to pick up the subtle characteristics of pecan that are so well incorporated. I think a lack of recognition of these subtle flavors might be why so many who enjoy this beer are saying it's more peach forward. They just can't suss out pecans from the malt/ wheat/ hops, which it blends very well with. And that's okay, we all have different experiences and palettes.

If you enjoy Abita Pecan, this is even more pecan flavored than that, and I think, much tastier overall.

4.56/5  rDev +29.5%

A dunkelweizen brewed with fresh Texas peaches and pecans...interesting. Pours a brilliantly clear ruby color with a thin light beige head that fades pretty rapidly. It's a decent looking beer, but nothing too special.

The aroma on this beer is absolutely wonderful. The peaches really shine through and smell fresh and bright. A bit of nutty maltiness is detectable, but not sure I can actually pick out any pecan aroma.

Mmmmm, delicious. Nutty sweet malts come out to play a bit more in the flavor with the peaches still being highly prominent. Pecan flavor is definitely noticeable if you are looking for it. Tangy, sweet, tart and crisp are all good descriptors here.

This is a love it or hate it kind of beer. I am not a huge Shiner fan, but I really dig this beer. They really stepped out of their comfort zone with this one, and I could not be happier they did so. An odd choice for a holiday beer? Yes. But is it delicious? Hell yea, damn near chuggable. I freaking went through over a case of this and hope they release it again next year. Important to note that it does not age well, as it really loses the peachy brightness of the beer.

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

I first got this beer in 2012, before I really started drinking craft beer, and I just loved it. I drank a bunch of it that season, and when it came out in 2013, I grabbed some right away, and took it back to Georgia to share with my family.

Unfortunately, I didn't care for it as much last year. It was ok, but I only got a bare hint of the peaches and pecans, it didn't seem to have the balance, and there was a slight aftertaste that I didn't care for.

So, I was really pleased with the release this year. I got a 12-pack in cans, and it's right back where I remembered it from two years ago. Nice malt base, the peaches and pecans are back with the nice balance between the sweetness and the hops. I don't know if the bottles I got last year were just an off case, but they were sealed in a cardboard box, so they should have been okay.

Anyway, get this in cans if available, and enjoy! Happy Thanksgiving!

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - The beer pours a deep amber, forming a good 1 inch head, leaving light spots of lace that slide down the glass.

S - Strong peach aroma dominates the nose. Detection of anything else is minimal.

T - Strong taste of peach up front, followed by a hint of wheat malt, and a very noticeable nutty finish in the flavor. Highly enjoyable!

M - Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel and good carbonation.

D - Great flavor, low alcohol, and smooth drinkability makes this a very holiday sessionable ale. With that said, its almost impossible to view this as a dunkelweizen. I dont see many traits of a dunkelweizen in this beer, and IMO should be considered a fruit beer. Highly drinkable and delicious!!!

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

I bought a single bottle of this from Woodman's in North Aurora, IL for $1.50 in Fall 2010.

A beer that will pair excellent with fruitcake if you like fruitcake. Holiday Cheer pours a dark brown with a fruit scent, peaches are the most obvious. It drinks rather smooth as you get a semi-mild taste of different fruits ending in an ever so slight spice. Out of all the beers I've tried to date, this has to be my favorite. The only way to improve this to a 10 of 10 is by adding a slight more texture and taste to it. Definetly a must try if you can find it.

4.42/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber body with a medium head.

Smell: The aroma is a strong combination of mostly peach with a small amount of roasted pecans.

Taste: Sweet bready taste with a light peach flavor (was expecting a fruitier taste from the aroma) and equal nutty flavor. It's just really nice balance with just a whiff of hops.
(Edit: The one that I'm enjoying 12/31/14 has a whole lot of peach flavor going on. I like it!)

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Very drinkable by itself or with a meal (especially chicken or pork).

4.4/5  rDev +25%

I have bought this beer for the two holiday seasons. It is a very solid beer and another quality seasonal from Shiner. While it falls into line with the Dunkel's I have had, there is just somthing a little extra with it that I would recomend. If your a fan of shiner then you will probably love it, if you don't care for shiner, then you may could go either way. That tends to be the opinions I hear.

4.39/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: 12oz twist top bottle with no best by or bottling date. To me From Shine. This beer pours a dark red with a tan head that reaches about one inch then starts to recede.

Smell: Peaches, and tons of them, apricots, plums, alcohol, and malts. Possibly the best smelling beer I have ever had.

Taste: Malts, peaches and slight alcohol notes.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but not overly so, warmth from the alcohol. The mouth is left feeling clean.

Drinkability: Extremely drinkable, the best wheat beer I have ever had. This is also the best Shiner beer I have ever had. A great job and an excellent beer.

4.36/5  rDev +23.9%

Appearance - a robust pour into the Sam Adams curvy glass yields a nice two finger manila head atop a clear, dark amber beer. Crests and lattices of lace form as the head drops back to a thick cover.

Aroma - peaches for sure, fruity but not excessively sweet.

Taste - a base malty sweetness, built upon by the sweetness of the peaches. I wouldn't really think peaches and pecans would ever go together, but they work well here. The light tannic character of the pecan offsets the fruit sugars enough to prevent this from being quickly brushed off as just another fruit/veg beer. The peaches are at the fore of the taste, the pecans showing up on the swallow towards the back of the tongue. The swallow allows the tannins to join with whatever hops are there for some balancing bitterness, but I'm thinking pecans not hops at this point. The finish is still a remaining trail of peach, a certain dryness and a bit of roast from the nuts. Unusally tasty.

Mouthfeel - crisp, medium to a touch light in body. Some smoothness, all playing well to accentuate the flavor IMO.

Drinkability - maybe it's just a fad, but I'm digging this beer and contemplating a few more sixers to share around the family and 'hood. Kudos to HawkinMI for alerting me to these babies over in NKY.

4.35/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle into a standard pint glass
Dark copper in color with a big, creamy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! A bit unexpected, but a pleasant surprise of fresh peaches, wheat, and spices
Taste-Fresh peaches, dark malts and wheat, subtle roasted pecans that just balance out the sweetness of the peaches. Nicely balanced, as a little peach essence goes a long way , but this brew seems to get it right. Flavor is not cloying, but rather refreshing and very drinkable. A very interesting and tasty offering-Certainly worth a try!

4.33/5  rDev +23%

This beer pours a clear brown with gold and ruby tones under the light. It's aroma begins with molasses followed by hints of fruit and roast. The flavor is complex and well balanced with molasses, nut, fruit, and toast notes with maple in the finish. It has a medium mouthfeel and is quite drinkable. Spoetzl Shiner Holiday Cheer is a very good beer, complex and balanced and is a great match for hard sourdough pretzels. Highly recommended!

4.32/5  rDev +22.7%

appearance- dark caramel color, clear. light head with tight bubbles that didn't last to the end.

smell- peaches and hops right at the beginning. not so much on the pecan but still detectable later.

taste- nice warm balance between the peaches and the hops. I thought with the upfront aroma of fruit, it would be too overpowering, but it's perfect.

mouthfeel- light and crisp, not too bubbly.

drinkability- this is a great beer for any season and a nice session.

4.29/5  rDev +21.9%

(11/11/2011) Poured into a Sam Adam's Perfect Pint Glass. Thin white head fading quickly from the glass.

A: Beautiful aroma of peach, pecan, and caramel

C: Light brown color, very wintery looking

Sip: Peachy combined with pecan initially, light wheat flavor comes through in the end for a clean and refreshing finish

OV: Great winter warmer with a very fun profile. Full bodied and very warm.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Color: pours golden brown and sits a clear, deep amber with a thick head and good lacing

Smell: fresh peaches dominate with sweet strawberry shortcake and pecans in tow

Taste: aroma translates well onto palate with the addition of a slight bitterness and bready malt. finish is balanced, somewhat dry and lightly bitter

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: love this one-of-a-kind ideal holiday brew

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A- Pours up a dark brown with amber highlights, with a thin tan head

S - Aroma is all peach, with a bit of nuttiness in the background

T - Slightly nutty at the start. Finishes with peach flavor. But all flavors are subtle.

M - Feels a bit thin, but highly carbonated.

D - This is a great beer. Yeah, I'll be drinking this all season long.

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Bought Beer from Stadium Liquor.

Appearance: Cloudy, Orange

Smell: Cheddar Cheese, Peach, and Nut were all evident

Taste: Strong peach flavor, also could taste the pecan/walnut

Mouthfeel: After sitting on my pallet for a while, hit many different taste buds I didn't think possible. Awesome

Drinkability: Great beer to show your woman or friends who need something different. Definitely a great beer from Shiner, TX!

4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

A odd beer that I spotted at publix after work, after noticing that their where a few other holiday beers already on the shelves.

Ive never really had anything that good from shiner, but the use of peaches and pecans really seems pretty crazy, so I had to try it.

Oddly enough it works. The mix of dunklewisen, peaches, and pecans give this beer a excellent buttery/toffee smell that is very festive.

The beer itself is very rich, buttery, and nutty all at the same time. A great purchase.

I might even pick up another 6 pack..........Hell it was on sale.

It might even be the best holiday beer I try this season (it was better than a pumpkin stout I picked already)
Give it a shot!

4.23/5  rDev +20.2%

The color is a nice deep amber with great initial effervescence and three fingers worth of foamy tan head. It's surprisingly clear for the style, but has some ok lacing.

Smells like fresh peaches with hints of bubblegum and vanilla.

Medium mouthfeel and smooth with a malty sweetness in the front and some balancing hop bitterness in the back. There is some bite from the carbonation and a little punch from the alcohol. I can't really decide if the flavor is to style or not, but it is pleasing.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble' glass.

Dark Hefe-copper with a foamy one inch head thats sustains with a nice lace.

Smells of ripe peaches, spicey saaz and roasted nuts.

Taste is a smooth fruity peach and roasted almond blended with a noble saaz and flowery lemon grass.

Smooth and satisfying medium bodied offering. Excellent holiday brew!

Holiday cheer indeed...

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours a 1/2 inch off white head.Beer is dark brown with minimal lacing through out.

Very nice smell of sweet peaches and some malts afterwards. Wish I could get this beer as an air freshener.

Tastes of roasted malts, peach and some hops at finish.A bit of metallic taste towards end. Not your typical dunkelweizen.

Mouth feel is light with a smooth finish. Mid to high carbonation and a slight bitter after taste.

Drink ability is great. Overall good seasonal beer, another solid product from shiner, one of my favorite winter seasonal beers even though its not your typical winter beer.

4.22/5  rDev +19.9%

Nice color of ruby hued golden ale
I really enjoy the nose on this one,peaches dominate with some trace roasty malt & pecan.
Nice peachy ale flavors with the maltiness in the background & a lingering roasty pecan finish. Not at all overbearing on any of the flavors & I love the peach flavors!
Nice light mouth feel here, nothing over the top or under done. Very approuchable beer on this account.
One of, no deffinitley my favorite of the holiday ales & very good price point to boot.
Drink up for it will be gone soon!

4.2/5  rDev +19.3%

Bought this in a carnivores in Oakmont for 2.50. I didn't expect them to get it in since it's January and I figured holiday beer seasons over but I found this on the shelf!

A - Ruby red orange with decent head.
S - soft Peachy smell with nut backbone. Also some spices to the nose.
T - mmm great peach taste with little hop bite. Very interesting for a holiday beer.
M - Light bodied and delicious
D - I would love to drink a sixer of this and could easily drink a few in one sitting.

Overall I am glad to get my hands on this beer for the ABV it's both smooth and delicious.

4.16/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark reddish amber with a thin finger head that fades quickly with a decent amount of lacing. Gives off the aroma of beets or grapes. It's very sweet to the tongue. The taste is very similar to the smell, grapy with a hint of beets and citrus. The flavor doesn't last long however and you're not left with much of an aftertaste. But it's worth a try. I would certainly recommend it to a friend.

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

Great fruity nutty taste. Body is light and refreshing. It might be a bit too sweet for some. Body could be a slight deeper. This definitely a fall wheat. This will get me through the holiday season. This is another great Shiner spin. There is nothing really tasting quite like this. Great job.

Shiner Holiday Cheer from Spoetzl Brewery / Shiner